Celebrating my 66th Birthday with a Lower Face/neck Lift - Denver, CO

Back in 1997 I had a facelift, brow-lift and upper...

Back in 1997 I had a facelift, brow-lift and upper and lower eyes. I was not impressed with the way I healed (basically horrible scarring). After visiting other plastic surgeons to get their opinion on what may have went wrong, I learned that the doctor pulled everything too tight and caused undo tension which ultimately left very wide scars in both my temple area and on top of my head. I can't begin to tell you how much time it took to correct the scarring.

Lucky for me, with time, 3 scar revisions and hair transplant, the outcome was ok and all in all, the lift has lasted for 14 years which is not bad when you think of it.

Needless to say, he ordeal left me very skiddish about getting another lift but I see the hands of time are at it again. While the PS still practices, I will use a different PS this time.

Thanks to RealSelf, I have picked out 2 surgeons and will have consultations with both in May as I hope to have the surgery performed in August.

I will keep you posted.

After much due diligence.....

I selected a facial plastic surgeon in Denver. I interviewed a total of six plastic surgeons in two states (2 of them specialize in only the face). Just as I thought, time has played havoc with my jowls and neck so I need a lower face and neck lift and a bit of Juvederm in the eye hollows. For now, I have decided against the fat transfer process for the eye hollows but may choose to do that at a later date. Surgery is set for early September. Will keep everyone posted.

Question for those who have had a lower face/neck lift surgery

Two weeks from now I go in for a lower face/neck lift surgery. For the most part I am excited yet I'm a bit apprehensive. The apprehensive part is the thought of having general anesthesia. Has anyone had a lower face and neck lift (approx 2.5 hrs surgery time) that has had something less than general anesthesia...like twilight? Of course, I discussed this concern with the surgeon (who, by the way, is one of the best in Denver) and he said that what he would be concerned about is me coming to during the surgery or feeling any pain. He assured me that general anesthesia has come along way since 1997 (I had a horrible experience with loss of hair after a 6-7 hour surgery). It would help me greatly to hear your experiences?
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am not new to plastic surgery so I knew exactly what I was looking for in a facial plastic surgeon. After recommendations, research and consultations, I chose Dr. Weber for my face and neck lift. I must say, Dr. Weber is one amazing facial plastic surgeon. Surgery was Sept 6th, I was up and about on Sept 7th....Pain=none....bruising=minimal to below average...tightness=yes....of course, that's what I went to him for. The entire experience was amazing. I felt a high level of comfort from the time of pre-op, through surgery and the recovery, to the week follow-up visit. I was up and about the day after surgery....not jogging mind you but then again, I never jogged in the first place. Dr. Weber provided an excellent surgical center and from that standpoint, I couldn't have been in better hands. The anesthesia was a non-issue and the recovery time after surgery was minimal. Dr. Weber said I wouldn't feel much, if any, pain and he was absolutely correct. I decided to keep my pain pills next to me just in case the time came when I might need one.....however, that time never came. The after care follow-up was beyond what I expected. Dr. Weber came to my hotel to take the initial dressing off and show my husband and I how to take care of the incisions. My husband, who was with me through it all said "Honey, your surgeon is a winner". That, in itself, says a lot for to drag a compliment out of him is like putting a person on the moon. Now you know why I traveled over 1,600 miles round-trip.....just so Dr. Weber could perform my surgery and I could have peace of mind.

How was your first lift at 50? Did you like the result???? It is so kind of you to post and let us know details. Who wouldn't want to look younger. As long as it makes you feel good, then it is all worth it.
Hi Hailey....I was new to plastic surgery back then and didn't do the research and went with the first PS I found in the Yellow Pages. Yes, foolish, I know because I wound up with 5 wide scars (in the hairline) and an uneven hairline behind my left ear. I thought maybe it was something I had done or just the way things can turn out. My family members suggested I see another PS to get their opinion. I ended up seeing 3 plastic surgeons and all said that mine had pulled areas more tightly than he should and that was the reason I ended up with wide scarring in 5 areas of the hair line (3 for the brow and 2 on the temples). I discussed the problems with my PS and asked what he could do to correct the unsightly scars. He performed 2-3 scar revisions over a 20 month period so for that I am grateful. He could do nothing for the loss of hair...that just had to grow back. I guess you could say that all in all things turned out ok.... he was able to correct the scars to about 70% and of course, the hair grew back in over time. I have come to the realization that if you want to improve the fack/neck/brow/eyes it is probably best to consult with a FACIAL plastic surgeon as that is his area of expertise.....so that is exactly what I did this month. I went to Dr. Steve Weber, a facial plastic surgeon in Lone Tree (Denver area) (I live in Montana) and I can tell a major difference in the way I am healing this time. Hope this info is of some value to you and the others who read realself.
DId it hurt???
Really surprising how little pain I had. More discomfort like trying to eat when you face is swollen, and having to sleep upright. This is my second lift. First at 50.
Like you, it is mostly the attempt to sleep upright. I had no pain, minimual bruising and swelling.....just a tightness which is to be expected. After all, that's exactly what I went in for....my face and neck were just too dang loose.
It is amazing isn't it? I expected pain but nothing. Having to sleep upright is really difficult for me. I was up and around the day after surgery. My husband is still shocked at how wonderful things turned out.
I am 5 weeks into recovery from lower face/neck lift and am very happy with the results and recovery. I did not have general anesthesia, but was given sedation. I was watched carefully by the anesthesiologist and did not wake up. I still had some nausea, but nothing compared to general. Good luck and hope it turns out well.
Hi there.....thanks for the update on your surgery. I am so glad to hear you are happy with the results. When were you able to go back to work? My job is extremely physical so I am planning on taking 4 weeks. I was really hoping to go with IV sedation but I ended up with a very light general and I must say, it was awesome. I was under for about 2 1/2 hours and my recovery time was minimal. No nausea and no groggy feeling. The first facelift I had was under general and I swore that I would never have it again.....maybe they have come a long way with improving it. I wonder if the amount of time you spend under general plays a big part in how well you feel after. The first time I spent 6+ hours (one could have built a small city in that time)....this time only 2 1/2. Do you think that could make a difference?
I am now retired, so going back to work was not an issue. But, if your job is extremely physical, I would consider 6 weeks. I also was only under, mild sedation for 3 hours, but I did develop a small hematoma. My doctor's second in 16 years. I am now almost 9 weeks, and all is well. I am still sore under the chin, and the sides of my face are still slightly sore and numb. My left ear is also slightly sore, and still does not feel like it belongs to me. I still have some slight swellng in the neck area at the end of the day. And, I still wear the neck sling around my head at night for comfort and it feels much better in the morning. I am hopeful this will all disappear soon. My daughter got married when I was 6 and a half weeks into recovery and people just commented how great I looked and the pictures also show that. I am very happy that I did this. I did it for me! :-) I hope all is well with you too.
I am so glad you are happy with your results. A person feels good when they look good and it's always nice to have someone say, 'Gee, you look great'. Thanks for the advise about returning to work. I'm heading back to Denver to see my doctor for a follow up next week. I'm still wearing the head wrap but only at night. I still have some swelling and a slight bit of discoloration but then again, I'm only 12 days out. Speaking of ears, mine are a bit tender in a spot or two but nothing major. The numbness is something I remember well from my face lift in 1997 but it doesn't really bother me....mainly because I knew to expect it. LOL It is actually incredible how good I feel for 12 days out. I am doing housework and trying to lift too much but sometime I do forget because I feel so good. Like you, I am happy I did this. Also, I am very fortunate to have a husband that is pretty much o.k. with anything I do. Take care and keep me posted on how you're coming along.
Hi Touchthiskin....Going forward with a lower face and necklift in three weeks. Also, getting Juvederm for the eye hollows. Was considering the fat transfer for the eye hollows but not completely sold on it....yet. Have had such a great experience with Juvederm (lasting a year) in the hollows that I'm quite the advocate for it. Am trying to steer away from general anesthesia, if at all possible. What about you? Any date set yet?
No date yet. Deciding whether to buy a car now or next year which would delay my procedure. If i decide in favor of the implants first, it will happen in September. Meanwhile you must be excited. I cant wait to see your after pics!
Touchthiskin....I know you have made a wise decision. Please keep us posted. I met with Dr. Weber and Amy a couple of weeks ago. Dr. Weber was everything and more than I expected as was Amy and Carmeille. My surgery is scheduled for Sept 6th. Keep in touch.
I'll Definitely keep in contact. Are you still going forward with it?
I did research on a surgeon in Denver as well and narrowed it down to Dr. Weber. I met him and Amy and I love her! I'm getting cheek implants and can't wait. I think we've both chosen wisely. Best of luck!
Thanks for the compliment. I am still hoping to have a lower face lift in August. I did have two consultations with plastic surgeons here in Montana but was not impressed. I was hoping not to have to travel such a distance but decided it was definitely worth it after reading about Dr. Stephen Weber (RealSelf) located in Metro Denver. The few times I have spoken with his staff especially his nurse Amy, I felt very confident that I will be in good hands. Schedule permitting, I hope to have my surgery done in late August/early September. Will post again after the consultation.
you look very good for your age!

Thanks for starting your story with us on RealSelf! I'm sorry you had to deal with so much scarring and hair loss the first time around. I agree with myownhope that you do look pretty, but what an ordeal!

I hope you'll keep us posted throughout your journey to a new and better Facelift! :)

Hi Stacey, Hope everything goes well for you this time. You still look good in your picture. I am 7 weeks post op and looking forward to feeling normal again. Recovery is longer than I thought it would be. Keep us updated as you get closer to your surgery. Best Wishes....