Got Cellulitis from Surgery, That Sucked. Expect a Slight Improvement, Not Perfection. - Denver, CO

I received Lipo back in Feb on my waist and...

I received Lipo back in Feb on my waist and stomach (pretty much my trunk area all the way around). I did tons of research, went to a highly trained surgeon and ended up in the small percentage of patients who get an infection. Apparently, I got a hematoma after the surgery and it got infected. The hematoma was on my right side. I had terrible fevers & chills and was very ill for 4 weeks, all the while dealing with the pain and bruising from the procedure itself. I had to go on 3 different antibiotics for three weeks. It was really hard and scary. The pain from the surgery is very significant. It has been 7 months now since my surgery. I am not sure how I feel about my results. I honestly feel as though the weight has returned to my waist. What?! Yes, I have read the weight can return to the layer of fat closest to the skin (which the surgeons do not touch). So, obviously that is a huge disappointment. Isn't that why everyone gets lipo, to have the fat go somewhere else? Furthermore, I have a irregular bump where the hematoma was, which I am now very self-conscience of. I don't know if it's worth it or not.

I forgot to add the front view picture

back view

When deciding, try to look at patient's profiles who are 6 months post-op

I've noticed when reading the reviews on this site, that people are mostly reporting how the results are after a couple days to maybe 12 weeks. But, if you want a more long term, realistic viewpoint, try and find people who can show you what they look like 6 months or more out. I didn't post anything until now (7 months post-op), because I wanted to give an accurate portrayal of how it really worked. As you can see from my pics, the weight can come back to the area where it was removed.

forgot this side view photo

I had originally forgot to post this side view. I think it does show a significant difference. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I should have my surgeon fix the bumps. He said he would do it for no charge, but it is a very difficult decision. I really don't want to go thru the pain again or risk another infection. Even more annoying is wearing the garment for 12 weeks! People need to know that the garment is really irritating. It is uncomfortable and greatly reduces the variety of clothes you can wear (unless you don't care if people notice it). However, it is crucial to your results that you wear it religiously for 12 weeks.

Hi love. So sorry to read about your experience. Liposuction certainly is no joke. I looked into the results of coolsculpting as well. I have read many really bad reviews about it: tremendous pain and uneven lumps afterwards. And I wonder how the body deals with metabolizing out the dead fat cells? After the fat cells die, I would think that, the same as with any liposuction that kills or removes fat cells, the other fat cells in the body will grow larger to compensate. This would cause permanent problems with fat distribution.
The above post was in response to a comment below made by loveheartlove. I had intended to post it in below her comments about coolsculpting, but I don't see a way to move my post. Thanks.
I think you make one of the most important points about researching lipo, and that is to look for results post one year. And further. 3 months out does not at all show a final result. I'm sorry you have suffered so much because of this procedure; it's true infections can happen and who knows why this one did. And yes, lots of people are complaining of weight coming back but none of the doctors seem to want to believe it. (I wonder why?).
I'm sorry. Liposuction doesn't seem to be what it's made out to be and I think doctors need to make sure patients really understand that this is a major surgery with risks as well as what happens after surgery in regards to weight gain. I'm really regretting mine. Wish I had done coolsculpting instead, way less risk than surgery. I'm only a little out of surgery right now but I would be happy to have my fat back, the surgeon took out so much. I also probably have a seroma. It's no joke. If you're going to try anything try the less invasive procedure first I would say.
I am sorry you go trough all that:( .Did you talk with you doc.? And who done your surgery?
I have talked to him about the bump and roll under my bra line. He said he'd be happy to try and fix it. But, as you can expect, I'm nervous to do surgery again. I think I'll set up a consultation in a month or so just to see what he's thinking. I've decided not to post who my doctor is until I really see the final result. I don't want to damage his reputation if the infection was truly not his fault (which I'm not sure if it is. They say some people just get infections thru no fault of the surgeon).
Try looking into coolsculpt. I would so do that over liposuction if I could go back in time. Liposuction is so much more serious than it's made out to be.
I'm not surprised by what you are describing; I feel lipo has ruined my figure and causes me a continued distress 2 years out. If I were you, I would consult with a different plastic surgeon; one who does reconstructive type surgeries (e.g. breast reconstruction after mastectomy, facial deformity repair etc.). Just to get a different sort of opinion. My worry is that if he is "happy to fix" any problems you have, and he aims to do it through lipo, you may end up with more problems and deformities. I have a very odd shape now and deformities; I would not get lipo done again ever because I know it will lead to more problems. (just my opinion!)
Hi at1234. Thank you for your review and photos. The infection sounds terrible! What an ordeal to be that sick for a month. I hope you're feeling completely healthy again. You mentioned that you did tons of research before surgery. How did you do your research? Months ago I had started a discussion called "How do you do your research before deciding on the procedures?" I thought it was a good conversation and found it really helpful, but the conversation was closed down. In your research had you come across and read the scientific studies that show the various issues with liposuction? It took me a long time to locate some of these studies.