About to Be 45 and Done with Years of Possible Implant Associated Illness and Pain - Denver, CO

I had my first implants in 1990. They were small...

I had my first implants in 1990. They were small and looked fine but somehow in 1996 I decided I wanted to go bigger. I know that the implants are saline and under the muscle but I am not sure of the actual cc amount. I have had lots of back and neck pain along with odd ailments, feeling icky for no reason. Perhaps I have been living with an immune response and just made excuses. I have been wearing minimizer bras in public and have to wear 2 sports bras to run. The weight is too much and I just want to be au natural. I began my explant path with a local PS who told me that I had little to no natural breast tissue and that I needed a smaller implant and a lift in order to be happy. I took some time and researched here the before and after pics and I am now only interested in explanting. If I am unhappy in 6 months I will consider a lift but for now I am hoping that my body adjusts. I refuse to listen to that PS because I will be ahoy with being natural. I have a consult in 2 days.

I am getting mine taken out tomorrow... under local! Wish me luck. I'm both a little bit nervous, but also looking forward to being free of the pain and discomfort that came about as a result of a (board certified) surgeon simply doing a bad job -- twice. So glad that I will be finally done.
My thoughts are with you. Yiu will be fine and it should be pretty fast. Keep visualizing a great result and quick recovery! Trust your body and get some rest after. Please update.
I am 45 to ! Cant wait to have implants out!

Explant set for August 28!

I saw Dr. Atagi and what a relief! She was funny and soooo nice! She said I should look great and that there is no scar tissue. No capsulectomy and no drains! Music to my ears! I will post a pic soon of how they look now.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Here are pics of the saline implants as they are pre explant

16 days to go. Sooooo tired of carrying these implants around. Pain everyday in my back and neck.

We're about the same age (I'm 44), and I got my saline, under the muscle implants in 1996 and had them removed last December. I identify with what you're going through. You'll feel so much better once they're out. It's a great feeling to be natural again. Good luck!
Your implants (like many on here) look heavy and too large for your frame. I'm so excited for you as the countdown is on and I look forward to your updates once you are on the other side! My explant will be about 2 weeks after yours (9/15) and I can't wait!

My husband is 100% on board

My husband has said he was on board all along but I have wondered a few times if he was just going along with my decision to explant because it is what I want. He loves me for me but when I met him I had these things already so I just wondered if he really was going to miss them. Well last weekend my back was hurting so bad I wanted to see what it felt like to have relief from the weight of these implants. My husband stood behind me for 8 minutes and held my breasts up. The relief was immediate and I felt tears well up in my eyes. He didn't realize the weight until then nor the amount of relief for me. He is also going to the explant appointment with me. We are both ready. 13 days left.

Hi!! It's 3 days post-op and I'm feeling great! My boobs, or what's left of them are tiny, and they are about half the size I started with before the implants, but I'm so totally OK with that. The surgeon was fabulous, and the whole thing went very smoothly... even with just local anesthesia. In fact, at one point I started humming along to the music that was playing in the background ("Sweet Caroline") and I made everyone crack up. I feel good, there's no pain, I'm not even taking tylenol anymore, and that's all I took in the firsr place on days 1 and 2. The stitches are a tiny bit tender, that's all, but otherwise, I feel like I could do construction work! (Not that I'm going to, but that's how good I feel. ) I've had slower recoveries from dental surgery. I'm very flat chested now, but no more pain from the tightness and the muscles contracting because the implants were originally placed poorly. btw, I chose a different doctor to do the explant -- not the same one who did the implants. This doc is truly skilled. Anyway, feeling good! Thank you for your support and encouragement. I went out and bought a few very pretty padded push up bras -- which I was unable to wear with the implants. I'm excited and happy for you. Good for you for not letting them talk you into a revision. I almost caved in to that, and now I'm really glad I didn't. Good luck, be well, and keep us posted... It feels so good to be FREE!!!
A lot of people told me I would not be happy. To the point where I began to doubt myself. But every time I thought about an implant or pocket revision, I got stressed. And when I thought about just getting them out once and for all, I felt relieved. That's how I knew. I just didn't want any more potential problems or complications that come from having implants. I had enough...and I only had them for about a year and a half! Other people don't know you the way you know yourself. It's pretty arrogant of them to try to tell YOU how YOU are going to feel.
Thank you!!!

Pre op appointment today

Well my pre op was this morning. Being a week out I find that my mind is going a bit kooky. Had a dream last night about the surgeon's hands digging around in there and then she only took one implant out so I was left with one big boobie and one little boobie. Not part of the dream is my choice to have only a local anesthetic. 8 more days.

I'm excited for you timetobenatural....your date is coming up and no need to trouble your mind with negativity. It will all go very well! I look forward to your. Updates as I am not far behind you with a 9/15 explant date.

3 days to explant

I am getting pretty nervous about explant this week. Excited but nervous. I opted for only a local and I won't have drains. I keep having dreams that something goes wrong. In one dream the surgeon was only able to take one out so I had one big breast and one little breast. Lol. It is boggling how the mind works! Thank you to all you ladies that are sharing their story, it really helps I share and hear.

Yay for you! I'm having mine removed on Aug 27 and will think of you on the 28th! I love the story of your hubby holding them up for 8 minutes -- great way to empathize with the weight and bulk of these things. My hubby is more nervous about the actual surgery/anesthesia than the removal. We'll both be glad to get it done! Best wishes to you!!
Being nervous is completely normal - how exciting that you made the decision to heal yourself form the pain you have been experiencing. I'm very excited for you and will say a prayer tomorrow morning for all the RS explant ladies - POSITIVE THOUGHTS YOUR WAY!

On the other side.......finally!

Well surgery was yesterday, late afternoon, and I am very sore today. I had textured saline implants that were 750cc's and overfilled. The surgeon was great but they were difficult to get out of there due to scar tissue. I don't have drains and I didn't have a capsulectomy. I feel so light and my neck and mid back pain has left the building! Yea! The girls are really sore and they are concave and a but sad looking today. I refuse to be upset and have faith that my body will fluff and fill in. Please don't be discouraged by my pics! I would not change a thing about explanting!

Welcome to the other side! Thanks for sharing the pictures and your story. We continue to help others with their decisions. Take it easy and keep us posted on how your doing. Hugs to you!
WOW - you are healing beautifully and it's only been a day! You are going to love your new look! There is nothing discouraging about your pixs - because of all the sharing on here - we all know what to expect! Fluff Fairy is on her way! lol

2nd day and already looking better!

Well today is the second day after explant and I am less sore. I am itchy which I will take as a good sign for healing. The absence of the weight the implants added is joyous! I am feeling pretty grateful today. Thanks for all your comments!

You look great already! Thanks for sharing.... It gives me more hope than you know!
I posted on your profile toobigforme. It is the right thing to do if it is what you want and you feel your back neck and shoulder pain would minimize or disappear.
Itchy here too -- day 3 and also feeling grateful! Here's to continued good health and healing :)

Later on 2nd day

I just cried 3 times in the shower. Happy tears. Why did I not do this years ago?! The liberation from pain and heaviness is beyond worth it. I can move without pain!!! My husband is overjoyed with the natural look and feel of them already on day 2 and I feel that I even look more slim overall. Gargantuan boobs are just not normal.

You look great! Well done. I cannot wait to have mine out. X
I'm thrilled to hear how happy you are with them! It gives the rest of us hope as we wait on the sidelines for our turn!

Day 3

I am still a bit sore today but better than yesterday. The girls are starting to look even more symmetric and fluffed! I took some of the tape off since it was really itchy. All in all I am feeling good and still healing well.

Good for you and congratulations! I can't believe you had 750's that were over filled. That's almost double what I had (400's) and mine were huge on me even with my large frame. I am glad you didn't give up, or give in. You look great! Cheers to natural boobs and feeling great as well. XX
Thank you and cheers to natural boobs!
WOW - they really fluffed a lot in just a couple of days! You look SO good!!! Keep us posted - it's very much appreciated!

Day 4

So here on day 4 I am noticing more soreness to the sides, under my armpits. I am also really bruised but feel less sore overall. I added pics today and am sad when looking at the bent over pic. There is still just a hollow spot where the implants sat. Hoping for more fluff and healing but for now I am going for a walk with my cute little sports bra on!

You look awesome girl...
You have a beautiful result, I'm sure things will just get better and better! Well done x
You look beautiful! Hang in there and forgive yourself. I cried too. I was so sorry that I ever put them in. I'm so glad the whole thing is over now. You will continue to see improvement. I didn't believe people when I just had mine out because I didn't see much change at the one month mark. Now by three months they look much better. Take care!

10 days out

Well I am sore and tired of being sore. Lol. I probably went back to work too soon, 4 days after, so I did it to myself. I just can't seem to sit still even on days off. Today I was just putting dishes up and felt a giant ping down my left side. Other than this I am healing well. Bruises are almost gone and stitches look good, still have surgical tape over them though. My shape hasn't changed much since my last pic.

You look beautiful!
Thank you thank you!

Day 10 second post

I forgot to add that I weighed myself before and after the procedure. Give or take a few pounds it looked like there was a loss of 9 pounds. Geez to think that I carried that amount on my chest so many years. No wonder my back and neck pain was so severe. My implants were 750cc overfilled if you are wondering and like I said give it take a few pounds but still even if it was 6 or 7 pounds that is tooooo much!

You look amazing and already so natural! Congrats! I'm about 11 days post and sometimes try to do too much (threw a ball for the doggie today and OUCH!) so it's easy to forget we just had pretty major surgery! Wishing you continued happy healing :)
What a huge difference already between your day 1 and day 10 pics! You look amazing! I hope my results are as good as yours :)
;)

18 days post explant

I am not seeing much change right now but feeling good. Had some pain around the left breast last week and the surgeon said it was an inflamed milk duct and lymph node. Feeling great today. Wearing a sports bra-ish type bra, so still compressing for another couple of weeks. The little hollow part at the top is still visible when bending over but overall I could not be happier with the results!

Happiness and healing to all approaching or recovering from explanting.

congrats on being natural again ..what kind of implant illness were you experiencing? have amy of those issues resolved since they were removed? were your implants still normal color or had they become contaminated?
You made the absolute right choice. You have your body back ...you old self back. And you will feel better all the way around. I imagine its perfectly normal to have a vast array of emotion during this time but I know in the end you will be so happy!!!xo
You continue to look awesome!! :)
Dr. Atagi

I had 3 consults before meeting Dr. Atagi and I never felt good about them. I almost gave up the idea of explanting. After meeting with Dr. Atagi and her staff I was quick to set a date for explant. Dr. Atagi is forthright and there is nothing hidden. She laughed with me and had me talk about the reasons I had for explanting. She explained everything in detail. There is just nothing hidden with her, she is funny and real. She held my hand and kept me talking when I was scared about the local shot. Her whole staff was so nice and it is a very relaxed and welcoming atmosphere. All in all Dr. Atagi's technique and bedside manner are both superb!!!