Ultherapy Procedure-wow, That Hurt! - Denver, CO

So, I had the ultherapy procedure done today at Dr...

So, I had the ultherapy procedure done today at Dr. Atagi's in South Denver. I had 750 lines all on my lower face and neck. I was concered about the pain before I went in after reading reviews on here, but I wanted to get it anyway. I am 41 and I try to be proactive with my skin and prevent issues before they start. I took two 200 mg Advil beforehand. I really do not like to take any meds, so I opted out of taking anything else (big mistake). The pain was really really intense. And, I have had botox, filler, IPL, lasers, liposuction, etc. and I have never really needed pain meds for ANY of those treatments. This was by FAR worse than any of those treatments. I know everyone is different, but really, I do not think I would ever do this procedure again. Seriously, I think I would rather get a facelift at this point. I cannot describe how it felt except to say that it is kind of like an IPL (but way worse) that goes on for 2 hours and the laser gets deep down in the skin and can hit a nerve from time to time (ouch). I really really hate to discourage anyone on here from getting it, but for me, it was like being in a torture chamber for 2 hours. I am skeptical I will see major results. Honestly, next time I think I will just get surgery. The nurse who handled the procedure was awesome though. She was VERY nice and did say that out of all the paitents she has performed the procedure on, I was the worst with pain. So, maybe there is hope for the rest of you (i.e. maybe I am different). I always thought I could handle pain pretty well, but I guess not! I have never needed any numbing creams, never blockers, pain meds for anything else I have done. Anyway, I will post again in a couple months about my results.

Photos Added!

Photos Added

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Just had my first Ultherapy treatment for one brow (I have asymmetrical brows) and for both eyes (underneath and on the sides). I was really nervous going in because I had been reading all about how painful it was. I need to say - I didn't really feel a thing - I do have a huge tolerance for pain - (even the doc and nurse said it was it amazing how I didn't even blink) - but really - on a scale of 1-10 of pain - I give this a 1 if that. For the brow he gave me a nerve block so I was numb - nothing for the eyes - I just took 600 mg of ibuprofen - doctor offered me a Valium or an injection of an anti-inflammatory, but I declined. Must say I TOTALLY recommend Dr. Forley in NYC - honest, great bed-side manner. Am doing my lower face in February. Great experience - already see a lift in my brow -
Hi Ladies-it has been about two months and I really do not see much of a difference, if at all. I do NOT think it is worth $2,400. I will wait until we get to the 3 month mark to see if anything changes, but honestly, I cannot imagine anything is going to happen in the next 30 days. I will post some pics in the next couple of days.
I will add a photo now
Yes I do see results. My jaw line is tighter but have not really noticed a change yet in my brows.
How are you doing after two months? Do you see by results from ultherapy?

I had ultherapy performed on my lower face twice in two years. I enjoyed the result so much the first time, that when my jawline started to slacken a bit, I had the procedure repeated. The procedure definitely worked by thickening and tightening the skin. I did notice the results after the second treatment only lasted about six months. All and all, my jawline is still firmer then when I originally started. I have been able to hold off a lower face lift for 2 years and that was worth it. I would definitely use Ultherapy for the sagging skin my my thighs and knees if it were available!

i have been considering going for the Ultherapy next week on my face and neck and am quite leery after reading everyones comments. I am probably a bit older than most and my doctor recommended Ultherapy after I rejected a complete facelift as I don't want to have any invasive surgery.....I am now very confused. I am using a doctor in manhattan on 5th avenue. Megan P - where are you working as a community manager....I wonder if the doctor that I go to will make a significant difference if both are highly qualified and wonder if the procedure has changed much in the last year. I noticed "Jill" is also a Community Manager and wonder where she works..Also, I am getting the impression that for approximately 3 weeks after the treatment I will not look to great and will have pain, possible bumps and numbness....

Hi confusedSD,

Jill and I are both Community Managers for RealSelf. I was out of the office for an extended period of time so she was helping with the communities that I cover (one being Ultherapy) so that is why you have seen us both in here.

My advice is always the same for people unsure of treatment - keep doing your research on it, talk to other community members, discuss it and other options more with your doctors office, etc. until you feel certain one way or another. You will come to the right answer for you. :)

Please post more pics ! I had Ultherapy done on June 17, 2013 to my cheeks and brows. I am hopeful. Good luck.
Please keep taking pics and posting them. I'm especially interested as I live in the Denver area. You're looking good!!!
Thanks for posting your photos. We'll look forward to seeing your future posts! =)
Hi all, trawest, no the procedure is not guaranteed to work. I think that some people just won't respond well no matter what. Everyone is different. I'm hoping for the best here. Surgery, on the other hand, IS guaranteed to work. For the expense ($2,400), the pain during the procedure, and the recovery (I am on day 5 and still very numb), I just think surgery should be strongly considered. Latingirl, I have no kids so I'm not sure what childbirth feels like! Paris8, I had lipo done on my lower legs a few years ago. I was completely awake during the procedure and the nurse who assisted the doctor went out of her way to tell my husband I had an incredible tolerance for pain. This is why I say I thought I had a high tolerance until this! So I am on day 5 and still very numb and kind of itchy. The swelling is a bit better. I will post pics soon.
is the procedure guaranteed to work?
COME ON GIRLS, IT WAS NOTHING COMPARED TO CHILDBIRTH WITH NO BLOCKS, NOTHING.... Just like having babies, you forget the pain soon,was a little painful, but not enough to take all those drugs, that's just my experience ...
I think certain kinds of pain we can handle pretty well. I don't think all pain is the same. Like a nerve pain at the dentist verses childbirth pain headache pain, ya know? There are different kinds of pain so different kinds of reaction to it. That's my take anyway...=)
I have found in all my years of being a medical device rep, that the patients that say they "can handle pain very well" is the BIGGEST red flag, those are the ones that need the meds...every time!
Thank you so much for sharing your information. Please, please post back and let us know your results. I live in the Denver area and am looking for a doctor in the area who performs the Ultherapy treatments.
Thank you for sharing your experience! So sorry you had so much pain. When I had mine done 3 weeks ago, to address the pain, the nurse gave me a shot of demerol and a valium. Then she put numbing cream on my neck and gave me lidocaine shots all over my neck. (my neck is what I had done). I know, it seems like a lot, but seriously, I barely felt the treatment. So glad I did it that way. I hope you see the results you're looking for. I'm still waiting. Lots of us have had the tingling and numbness for quite a while after the procedure. Just a heads up so you don't freak out if you get as well. It does go away after a while. Mine didn't start until about the 3 or 4 day after the procedure. I still have mine after 3 weeks....hoping it subsides soon. It's a little unsettling, but manageable. Good luck to you....keep us posted on your progress. =)

Oh, so sorry to hear you had such an uncomfortable experience. :( From what I understand the protocols/procedures for Ultherapy were changed a few months ago to try to make the treatment more comfortable. Did the nurse happen to say if they had changed over to the new protocols?

Oh yes this was definitely with the new protocols. I cannot imagine how it felt before they chanced it. Also my lower face is numb and I look a bit like a chipmunk. Do not plan on a special event right after.

Ugh, bummer. Ok, thanks for sharing this. I hope the swelling goes completely away soon.