EMatrix, 1st Procedure - Denver, CO

During one of my laser hair removal appointments...

During one of my laser hair removal appointments at American Laser Center, they mentioned the EMatrix procedure...and how I could get the extended hair removal with 4 sessions of EMatrix, for another $2,500. So getting caught up in the "awe" of making myself look younger (I am 35), I gave the "Okay" before even knowing what EMatrix was and if I really needed it. (My husband was not thrilled at my $5,500 bill that I brought home!)

So, I began to research this procedure and read these reviews and instantly became petrified at what I signed myself up for! (My appointment was on a Tuesday and I gave the consent on that previous Friday). I called ALC and they explained that everyone reacts differently and that it really isn’t that bad. At this point I was starting to look at myself in the mirror more and find areas that I was not happy with….and let my curiosity of this fix linger…and figured let’s just try it.

While at work on Tuesday, I applied the Lidocaine & Prilocaine Cream, 2.5%/2.5% to my face at 12:20pm, my appointment was at 1pm. This was an interesting experience because I have never applied skin numbing cream to my face before. My lips were the most noticeable to go numb, the rest of my face just felt a little odd.

I went over to ALC on my lunch break and they took me back and did a few test spots on my face and neck to see what setting was best for me. I ended up with a 30A on my face and a 15A on my neck. (Apparently, they don’t like the client to know the actual settings....not sure why. I was curious!)

So the procedure began and Oh My Gosh, this was no facial! The zap was tolerable, the smell of the skin was a little uncomfortable, but, the immediate burning after the zap was unforgettable! It is hard to explain because it is similar to applying a hot iron to your skin but, deeper...very much like getting into a hot shower after getting a sunburn that day. I could not imagine doing this without the numbing cream, and there will be many shots of liquor involved prior to my next appointment!

I had the technician go fast so it was over faster; she hit a couple of areas a few times because of some acne scaring. The whole face and neck was exactly an hour long. After she was done, I desperately needed an ice pack for each inch of my face to cool it off. That definitely helped! She then applied sun block and some special lotion, which I did not purchase and found that Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion (the screw off top is thicker than the pump) worked perfectly and did not burn my newly sensitive face. I think part of the uncomforted did not know what I was in for, so I was not prepared mentally for the burning.

An hour or so after the procedure, my face began to cool off and I didn’t need the icepacks anymore after initial office visit. I did notice that the heat would come in little spots, “waves”, and would come and go. My face was a bit red but, nobody even noticed at the office (typical office). I began to stare at myself in the mirror and noticed that the skin looked fresher, I looked more rested. At that point, I started to think that this might be worth it….the pain was gone at this point. I am just red and blotchy…but, the heat and pain is gone.

I did make a next appointment exactly 4 weeks to the day. The technician mentioned pushing the setting to the “B” range….I am not sure if I am okay with that decision quite yet. The pain is still fresh in my head as it happened just yesterday.

Today my face is shining, bright, and healthy looking. I have some of the bumps on my neck but, nothing bad…Still nobody at the office noticed anything by my shininess. My husband still thinks I am out of my mind. My friends and family did not think I needed this treatment. I was curious, and like most women, find small faults in my appearance and am a little fearful of my skin to look my age.

Attached are pictures of before, during, after, and a day later…I purposly did not smile so I did not give false lines in my face. I need to mention that many people have spoken to me today, face to face, and nobody noticed a thing. Not sure if that is a good thing, or a bad thing.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Day 2: I can feel the little bumps on my face. The...

Day 2: I can feel the little bumps on my face. The sensitivity is gone and I am back to using my typical products which consists of Trentin X products proscribed by my dermatologist for adult acne and Arbonne day and night creams. The creases in my face seem to be much less noticeable around my mouth and my skin looks almost as if I have cover up on.
I followed up on a co-worker who spent quite a bit of time talking with me in close proximity yesterday. I asked him if I looked any different, his response was that my face looks a little tanner but, nothing else.
So far, I personally am pleased with the results.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Also, if anyone decides to visit their local...

Also, if anyone decides to visit their local American Laser Center, please keep me in mind as they offer a small kickback for referrals:) Also, if they know you are being referred they are more likely to give you a cheaper rate and throw in some free stuff for you as well!

Hey Melissa, Thanks for all the information. I found this site googling information on how my face my start to heal. I got the treatment done yesterday, and today I have huge grid-like blotchy patterns over my face. How long did it take for your face to get back to normal? I'm thinking of always doing my treatments on Fridays so my face has a few days to heal without anyone looking at it lol. I got mine done at the American Laser Center in Bellevue, WA. The staff there is great, and I got mine for 2200 for 5 treatments and they threw in 3 or 4 chemical peals or photo facials...forgot which one, after the treatment is done to get rid of some freckles I have on the side of my face. Though I do wonder why they didn't give me any numbing cream...I will be asking them about that. But yes, it was actually a bit painful, though nothing compared to the pain you feel when you do the laser hair removal on your armpits or bikini area. My face was on fire, I had to wear the ice packs for about two hours before I didn't need them anymore...and I couldn't be near hot things or I felt like the heat was coming back. Today is the day after and the heat is gone, skin is dry but they said that would happen. Can't really attest to the result yet until my skin heals.
Melissa you ROCK! I'm currently going to school and learning eMatrix. I'm considering buying a machine, and like everyone else would love to hear more of how your story turns out! I hear a lot of good things, especially for acne scarring etc. and would love to be able to help people in this way, if it actually works well enough for people to return. I will also be getting my first treatment sans numbing cream in a day or two. Eeeek! Will let you know my experience as well. And you do look fantastic! A noticeable difference to me...
Oh sure absolutely, Wow! such great information. This is extremely helpful. Because the place I go to which is American Laser SkinCare, they are sorta pushing me, for example they are giving me a deadline to put a down payment, to receive an extremely huge discount deal on a package of four treatments. & I just am not to sure about all of it. You are helping so many of us. I need to talk to ALSC. a.s.a.p and let them know that I just am not ready, and they should honor the offer at a more reasonable time frame, They gave me five days with the offer when they quoted it and printed it for me!! lol its almost a joke.
However I am most likely going to do it, I just need more time to get to know the treatment and save a little bit more, both these reasons are just as crucial as the other. I just do not have money at this time to throw away. I just spent 600 on Pearl Laser, & honestly, It hasn't been all it they promoted it to be. I also can't wait to see your end result and see how you are feeling then as well. You are very smart in taking every step as you are, & taking your ice and being prepared. Again Thanks so Much! Keep smiling & good luck, You look wonderful!

Completed treatment #2 on 7/28/11. Increased the...

Completed treatment #2 on 7/28/11. Increased the strength to a medium B on my face and remained at the 15A on my neck. The actual procedure was just as uncomfortable as the first time...yes I was more prepared, but, it still was not fun at all! The recovery time increased to 3 days out versus just 1 day. You can see in the pictures scabbing and the matrix dots.

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Completed treatment #3 on 8/31/11. Again increased...

Completed treatment #3 on 8/31/11. Again increased the strength to a C on area's of my face and totally skipped my neck this time. This treatment was better than the first 2, maybe because I skipped my neck. I still had scabbing but by varying the strengths on my face between the B and C, the recovery time was only 2 days. Results are more present now and my husband can see a more fresh look! This procedure was worth it.

This was very helpful! Just researched this procedure today...Im 35 too...you are right on time!

October 5 was my 4th treatment. We went over the...

October 5 was my 4th treatment. We went over the entire face with an "A" setting first, and then went over it again with a "C". The technician said that the two levels both target different layers and I will get the best results. I must admit, it was much easier this time...maybe because I knew what to expect or maybe because my face was getting used to it? I dont know. But, after this treatment I can definitly notice a shine and my acne is temporarily cleared up (temporarily because it is hormon driven). Yes, my face was still crazy red, yes I had brown scabs, yes it felt sunburned. But, today 5 days later, it looks amazing. No clue if it is permanent.

I asked about follow up treatments every 3 months and I was told that I had to buy another package of 4 for $1800 again...so I declined.

Given my horrible results from the Vella Shape treatment, I will no longer be purchasing anything else from American Laser Skincare and do not reccomend anyone else fall into this web.

I had the ematrix procedure two days ago. I am healing fine but am self-conscious about the grid lines all over my face. How long did it take for your face to lose the scabs and return to at least its original smoothness?
Your review is very helpful. I really wish I had found this site before I started my eMatrix treatments. I just had my 1st on Friday, 2/17/12. I wasn't even looking to get this type of treatment done, but I got talked into it after a laser hair removal appointment at Am. Laser Skincare. It's just like you said, I got caught up in that "awe" feeling of my acne scars being gone.
don't go to american laser, they got me, and the ematrix did nothing, waste of money
American Laser Center

If you are interested in treatments for laser hair removal, e-matrix, or anything. I do not reccomend going to American Laser Skincare for any of these. I fell victim to a web of up-sale techniques and learned the hard way that this is all about meeting their sale's goals and not of customer relations. As I did eventually benefit from the E-matrix procedures, the laser hair procedures are very slow to gain benefits, and the Vella Shape procedures are extreamly dangerous...see my other review.