Very Negative Experience - Dallas, TX

This review has been a long time coming. I turned...

This review has been a long time coming. I turned 50 last year and was starting to notice my jawline and neck heading south. I was overall happy w/the way I was aging but wanted to do what I could to slow down the inevitable. I had virtually no wrinkles, even when smiling, but as stated I was starting to notice sagging. My biggest concern about Ultherapy was possible fat/volume loss. I talked w/several Dr's and was assured this would not happen. I was told that 20% percent of the people who have this procedure do not see visible results, but that even they benefit from increased collagen production. I had never done any procedures prior to this, not even botox. I was having a hard time with turning 50 and felt like this would be a nice birthday present to myself. Within the first 2 months of the procedure, however, my worst fears transpired and I started noticing volume loss. The most noticeable areas were around the eyes and upper cheek areas. I talked with the nurse practitioner who did my procedure and I was told that "I was imagining things" and that "I was one of those people who see things that aren't there" and that "I needed surgery all along but that I just didn't realize it." My face has continued to deteriorate and now my eyes seem to be affected. I have no idea why but my eyes look half open and much smaller now. I am very concerned and am going to have to see an ocular ps now. For a long time I was shocked when I looked in the mirror, now sadly I am getting used to my new appearance. I can't begin to explain how difficult this has been. I could elaborate but I'm purposely trying to downplay the emotions in the hope that my review is not dismissed. I have waited to write a review for several reasons. The main being that I simply did not want to do it. I know there will be those that for whatever reason will not believe my review or will want to discredit it. In the end, however, I felt I had to do what I could to warn others. I am posting pics of my eye and upper cheek area. I tried to find pics that show the damage but still allow me to preserve my anonymity. The before pic was taken about 2 months before the procedure and the after was taken a month ago. I am smiling wide in both pics. I want to emphasize that the person who did my procedure was very experienced and that she actually did training on Ultherapy, so an experienced practitioner is no guarantee that you will not have a poor outcome. My sole reason for posting is so that people can have all the information possible in order to make an informed decision. The one thing, however, I want to strongly suggest is that no one do this procedure on their upper face. The risk is just too great. If you are set on trying the procedure, please just try it on the lower face/neck. That's it. I've told my story and given my review. I hope this has been helpful. I'm trying to put this awful experience behind me, so I don't plan to respond to comments or questions.
Epicentre

If it's any consolation, you look lovely in both pictures - I can't really see a huge difference. The issue is that women keep being marketed "anti-ageing" procedures that simply don't work, and it's a multi-billion dollar scam. A few years ago, it was "Tighten" then it was "Thermage" - what happened? Did someone decide they didn't work so came out with "Ultherapy"? What will be the treatment-du-jour next year? Guaranteed it will be something we've never heard of....
I'm so sorry x
I had Ultherapy I don't see any difference I should have saved my money. Not happy at all ! Maybe it didn't work on me who knows but it wasn't cheep !!
A plastic surgeon I consulted with recently in my search for a solution to my volume loss and flattened jaw said she sees two outcomes from Ulthera: 1) women who lose their money 2) women who lose their money and their facial fat. As much as it sucks to lose the money, you can consider yourself lucky to have gotten the long end of the Ulthera stick.
Thank you for your honest and candid review. I once had a cosmetic procedure that didn't come out the way it should've and it took me years to come to terms with the physical and emotional scars. I admire your control in writing your review, as I can empathize with what you're feeling. I did not even know volume loss was a possible side effect of this treatment, so your post empowered me with that knowledge and now I may not do this procedure after all. I am thankful to you for that.
Hi! I just had botox for the first time by a Dr who is very highly rated and guess what? One ey looks great and they other actually looks worse than before. The eye that is worse is the one I really hoped to see some lift with. I have a droopy side of my face and eyebrow is low over the eye. If botox had worked, it would have been great. It obviously worked on the other side. So not I look more lopsided that before. I am going to see a cosmetic surgeon to discuss the droopy eye. I think by the time I spend $$$ on other procedures, I could have just had the surgery to fix this.Thanks for the warnings - it validated what I have been thinking from looking in the mirror after my botox. It did take away a deep frown line between my eyes which is good.
just a word of caution: don't assume surgery will automatically fix something. i think many of us ended up in messes because we assumed cosmetic surgery was like heart surgery or knee surgery . . . that you could count on it working or they wouldn't be doing it. cosmetic surgery is an entirely different animal. at least as often as it helps, it makes things worse. is the droopy eye on the side you sleep? if so, it will return. you can't be too careful. read all the eyelid surgery accounts on this sight so you know exactly what the risks are and what you want to avoid. above all, don't assume the ps understands your individual eye or what you individually want.
I agree. I have seen some women who were convinced they looked better but I thought they were much prettier before. I wish there were more professionals dedicated to showing us how to age. Going gray, changing our make up, wardrobe etc... less drastic measures and more natural approaches. I have noticed that some stars refuse botox, hair color, plastic surgery but they look quite healthy and happy with the way they look.
Really? Who are they? The only one I ever saw was Audrey Hepburn--one of the most beautiful women, inside and out . . . . My favorite quote ffrom one of the great fakes, and greats period, Dolly Parton: "It takes a lot of money to look this cheap. "
The right surgeons can make all the difference in the world.
Jamie Lee Curtis, Jennifer Aniston, Diane Keaton, Diane Lane and several others are " beautifully and gracefully aging"
I agree. It's a personal choice. Some people take it took far. Others don't. They go to a surgeon who does a beautiful, natural job. I respect anyone who chooses to not do any cosmetic procedures. Diane Keaton, in fact -- I have read in several interviews, she wishes she had done something 10 years ago because she feels now that she is in her mid 60's it is too late because it would be more obvious that she had work done. Jennifer Aniston is only 45. Perhaps in 10 years she will feel the same way, and perhaps not. Courtney Cox used to say exactly the same thing in her earlier 40s. I didn't even start botox until I was 49, and even now I do it infrequently. I'm 55 now, and just did ultherapy because of jowls. I can deal with the rest of aging, but the starting of jowls is really bothering me. For me, when I'm ready, I will find the best plastic surgeon that I can who will do something natural. It'll be scared to do, and I don't love the idea of it, but I've known people who had a very natural job done. A friend of mine, now 68, had her jaw/neck done at age 55. She still looks like a woman in her 60s, but does not have jowls. The work she had done was natural from the beginning and still has an effect, and she is very glad that she did it - with no plans to do anything else.
with the exception of diane keaton, i think the others--all strong, smart women-- have all had good, subtle work -- lauren hutton is a particularly good example of someone who looks great, and her age, and has had some, but not, as she said "nearly as much as they told us we'd have to." and susan sarandon looks amazing, and like a woman in her 60s. . . .
I agree. Most of these women have had subtle work, maybe with some fillers. Susan Sarandon looks very natural.
yeah, it's interesting to compare her with Cher since they're around the same age. i love and admire Cher as a woman tho---all the way---
i also haven't done my review yet but I had significant volume loss and have been in touch with two RS members who had catastrophic loss. one of them is wearing a $7,000 retainer because her bite was de-ranged by the loss; and she has nerve damage to boot. she has just heard from another woman who has also just had a disaster. the first review of Ulthera i read on this site was from a woman who had her face "melted" off. Ulthera is a high heat method, which none of us knew--we just thought it was "ultrasound"--and none of us would have ever done it if we had known. For those who have doubts, read Dr. Rian Maercks review of Ulthera on this site: "Ulthera or Pelleve? which is better for skin tightening?" He has treated many women whose faces have been damaged by Ulthera.
My God.
Please, to anyone reading this. Do not spend money on this procedure. It's crazy. I could feel my teeth vibrate during the process. I had dental filling falling out or loose in the next couple of weeks. I had so much pain. Had to have work on three molars in the following weeks. BTW, I do take care of my teeth. I think ulthera would not damage a healthy tooth, but if you have filling you better be careful. Fat loss. Ha! you bet. I wonder can we sue them? How come we always remain quiet? Embarrassment. Who wants to admit to having a procedure so ridiculous as this. The stigma on women that take care of their looks. Followed by stigma for those who do not take care of themselves. One is not often in the right place. GULP! Look, if you have done this process, the best next step is to go to Korea and get fat injections by a good plastic surgeon. They are better surgeons than those in the USA. By the way, a comment made in jest..
an essential discovery i have made from my own experience with both ulthera and fat transfer is how little volume it takes---plus or minus---to distort or damage the contours of our faces. 1/2 a cc in a human face makes a difference---it seems impossible because they tell me 5ccs only adds up to a teaspoon--yet it's true. i had a trial saline injection today to see how much filler i needed--he put 1 cc in each side of my face and 1 cc in each temple---which, at 4ccs, still wouldn't add up to a teaspoon--- and my face was expanded and my features were deranged in a way that was almost hilariously bad---like looking in a funhouse mirror. from that saline solution trial (and what a wonderful safe easy fast way to try something) i need maybe 1/2 a cc in each cheek and 1/4 cc in each temple. This sounds like too little to make any kind of difference yet everyone i have talked to professionally and personally have granted that the volume loss i suffered from ulthera was noticeable. The human face is a canvas of subtleties---the cosmetic surgery industry by and large doesn't work off that premise---and the result is the massive disruptions to women's faces and lives (and some men's ) that we read about daily on this site. if you have had ulthera, an herb called gotu kola, strongest in tincture form from herb-farm (pharmaca.com) will greatly help your skin heal. as will drinking 1/2 your weight in water every day with a buffered C powder (i get mine from Thorne) or by taking vitamin C tablets of 4-6000 milligrams every day.
You've really made me change my mind, thank you for your message and I'm sorry x
thanx almaz22. i'm glad to hear that. it helps in dealing with the consequence to be able to steer others away from such a destructive procedure.
i just noticed that Dr. Rian Maercks' review of Ulthera can be accessed from the right side of my screen on this page by clicking on ."Ultherapy vs. Thermage for Skin Tightening".
I think it looks beautiful and more youthful in the second pic but only you know how you should or want to look, almost nothing worse then going for a treatment to feel worse then you initially felt and regret you should have left well enough alone. I got droopy eyes with hooded lids twice in a row 2 different drs but at least Botox wears off. I'm so sorry your not happy with your results not fair,but thanks for the informative review and I hope you feel better soon stay positive
I sometimes feel like I look a little lopsided after botox, too. One eyebrow looks more raised than the other, or one eye looks a little droopier. Luckily, with time, botox always wears off and you will probably see that your face gets back to normal within a couple of months.