Very Negative Experience - Dallas, TX

This review has been a long time coming. I turned...

This review has been a long time coming. I turned 50 last year and was starting to notice my jawline and neck heading south. I was overall happy w/the way I was aging but wanted to do what I could to slow down the inevitable. I had virtually no wrinkles, even when smiling, but as stated I was starting to notice sagging. My biggest concern about Ultherapy was possible fat/volume loss. I talked w/several Dr's and was assured this would not happen. I was told that 20% percent of the people who have this procedure do not see visible results, but that even they benefit from increased collagen production. I had never done any procedures prior to this, not even botox. I was having a hard time with turning 50 and felt like this would be a nice birthday present to myself. Within the first 2 months of the procedure, however, my worst fears transpired and I started noticing volume loss. The most noticeable areas were around the eyes and upper cheek areas. I talked with the nurse practitioner who did my procedure and I was told that "I was imagining things" and that "I was one of those people who see things that aren't there" and that "I needed surgery all along but that I just didn't realize it." My face has continued to deteriorate and now my eyes seem to be affected. I have no idea why but my eyes look half open and much smaller now. I am very concerned and am going to have to see an ocular ps now. For a long time I was shocked when I looked in the mirror, now sadly I am getting used to my new appearance. I can't begin to explain how difficult this has been. I could elaborate but I'm purposely trying to downplay the emotions in the hope that my review is not dismissed. I have waited to write a review for several reasons. The main being that I simply did not want to do it. I know there will be those that for whatever reason will not believe my review or will want to discredit it. In the end, however, I felt I had to do what I could to warn others. I am posting pics of my eye and upper cheek area. I tried to find pics that show the damage but still allow me to preserve my anonymity. The before pic was taken about 2 months before the procedure and the after was taken a month ago. I am smiling wide in both pics. I want to emphasize that the person who did my procedure was very experienced and that she actually did training on Ultherapy, so an experienced practitioner is no guarantee that you will not have a poor outcome. My sole reason for posting is so that people can have all the information possible in order to make an informed decision. The one thing, however, I want to strongly suggest is that no one do this procedure on their upper face. The risk is just too great. If you are set on trying the procedure, please just try it on the lower face/neck. That's it. I've told my story and given my review. I hope this has been helpful. I'm trying to put this awful experience behind me, so I don't plan to respond to comments or questions.
Epicentre

I had Ultherapy I don't see any difference I should have saved my money. Not happy at all ! Maybe it didn't work on me who knows but it wasn't cheep !!
Thank you for your honest and candid review. I once had a cosmetic procedure that didn't come out the way it should've and it took me years to come to terms with the physical and emotional scars. I admire your control in writing your review, as I can empathize with what you're feeling. I did not even know volume loss was a possible side effect of this treatment, so your post empowered me with that knowledge and now I may not do this procedure after all. I am thankful to you for that.
Hi! I just had botox for the first time by a Dr who is very highly rated and guess what? One ey looks great and they other actually looks worse than before. The eye that is worse is the one I really hoped to see some lift with. I have a droopy side of my face and eyebrow is low over the eye. If botox had worked, it would have been great. It obviously worked on the other side. So not I look more lopsided that before. I am going to see a cosmetic surgeon to discuss the droopy eye. I think by the time I spend $$$ on other procedures, I could have just had the surgery to fix this.Thanks for the warnings - it validated what I have been thinking from looking in the mirror after my botox. It did take away a deep frown line between my eyes which is good.
i also haven't done my review yet but I had significant volume loss and have been in touch with two RS members who had catastrophic loss. one of them is wearing a $7,000 retainer because her bite was de-ranged by the loss; and she has nerve damage to boot. she has just heard from another woman who has also just had a disaster. the first review of Ulthera i read on this site was from a woman who had her face "melted" off. Ulthera is a high heat method, which none of us knew--we just thought it was "ultrasound"--and none of us would have ever done it if we had known. For those who have doubts, read Dr. Rian Maercks review of Ulthera on this site: "Ulthera or Pelleve? which is better for skin tightening?" He has treated many women whose faces have been damaged by Ulthera.
My God.
Please, to anyone reading this. Do not spend money on this procedure. It's crazy. I could feel my teeth vibrate during the process. I had dental filling falling out or loose in the next couple of weeks. I had so much pain. Had to have work on three molars in the following weeks. BTW, I do take care of my teeth. I think ulthera would not damage a healthy tooth, but if you have filling you better be careful. Fat loss. Ha! you bet. I wonder can we sue them? How come we always remain quiet? Embarrassment. Who wants to admit to having a procedure so ridiculous as this. The stigma on women that take care of their looks. Followed by stigma for those who do not take care of themselves. One is not often in the right place. GULP! Look, if you have done this process, the best next step is to go to Korea and get fat injections by a good plastic surgeon. They are better surgeons than those in the USA. By the way, a comment made in jest..
an essential discovery i have made from my own experience with both ulthera and fat transfer is how little volume it takes---plus or minus---to distort or damage the contours of our faces. 1/2 a cc in a human face makes a difference---it seems impossible because they tell me 5ccs only adds up to a teaspoon--yet it's true. i had a trial saline injection today to see how much filler i needed--he put 1 cc in each side of my face and 1 cc in each temple---which, at 4ccs, still wouldn't add up to a teaspoon--- and my face was expanded and my features were deranged in a way that was almost hilariously bad---like looking in a funhouse mirror. from that saline solution trial (and what a wonderful safe easy fast way to try something) i need maybe 1/2 a cc in each cheek and 1/4 cc in each temple. This sounds like too little to make any kind of difference yet everyone i have talked to professionally and personally have granted that the volume loss i suffered from ulthera was noticeable. The human face is a canvas of subtleties---the cosmetic surgery industry by and large doesn't work off that premise---and the result is the massive disruptions to women's faces and lives (and some men's ) that we read about daily on this site. if you have had ulthera, an herb called gotu kola, strongest in tincture form from herb-farm (pharmaca.com) will greatly help your skin heal. as will drinking 1/2 your weight in water every day with a buffered C powder (i get mine from Thorne) or by taking vitamin C tablets of 4-6000 milligrams every day.
I think it looks beautiful and more youthful in the second pic but only you know how you should or want to look, almost nothing worse then going for a treatment to feel worse then you initially felt and regret you should have left well enough alone. I got droopy eyes with hooded lids twice in a row 2 different drs but at least Botox wears off. I'm so sorry your not happy with your results not fair,but thanks for the informative review and I hope you feel better soon stay positive
I sometimes feel like I look a little lopsided after botox, too. One eyebrow looks more raised than the other, or one eye looks a little droopier. Luckily, with time, botox always wears off and you will probably see that your face gets back to normal within a couple of months.
I can see that your eyes appear to have changed shape somewhere. Ie:they look more "bright" in the first picture and slightly more "deep set" in the second. The photo isn't low enough to see any fat loss over the cheeks. I don't want to sound dismissive but some people have serious and severe fat/tissue loss and it's very obvious. Your cheeks still look great unless you have another photo that tells it more clearly?
I agree. I'm sorry because that is not a supportive thing to say given your complaint, but I think you look better in the second picture.
Hi Renee, You look great. Maybe you need to step back a bit and stop beating yourself up. Look at what we see, a beautiful woman.
I think your skin looks beautiful in the first photo, but even more so in the 2nd one. I do not see a problem with your eyes in either photo. Both look gorgeous.
I think your eyes look improved by the photo. Can't see cheeks though. Nice skin. I have done Accent for skin Tighting with good results. I'm 62 but no one believes I am. They think aim much younger or have had a facelift. I have done fillers through the years and Botox also. I'm afraid to do zultherapy just for the fact zive read where people have lst skin elasticity
Renee50 you hVe beautiful eyes on both photos and I can't believe how gorgeous your skin is for someone your age. Before I read the article I only saw the second picture and thought it was someone in there 20s xx
I agree.
It's difficult to really tell from the photos. The angle is different for each. But I would not think you are 50 in either. You look very young in both photos. I had that procedure done and didn't notice any difference at all but I didn't notice fat loss either. Your skin is beautiful and your eyes are very pretty in both pics. I too am 50 and am learning to place my concerns on how healthy I am verses how young I look. Funny thing is I stopped judging how other women I know are aging and started seeing how beautiful they are. In ten years when I am sixty, I want to be totally cool with it because I know that like everything else in life, beauty has an expiration date and we should learn to love ourselves beyond our vanity. God Bless!
You are right, I see the volume/fat loss under the eyes and of course more defined wrinkles. I am so sorry. Your eyes are very beautiful indeed. That does not take from the fact that you paid to look better and not to lose fat volume, which always accompanies the aging process. I heard about cases like yours and I sure hope this does not happen to me. I know most people do not notice it because they do not know what to look for. By the way, fat loss/volume loss is not reversible. They only effect that wears off is the mild effect of ultherapy on facial muscles. hmmm. Not worth the price. I wish we could sue them for not investigating this procedures further. Or we should all go to Korea if we want a better treatment.
Mish, you have heard of this happening before to other people who have done ultherapy? My face is already so skinny, I don't need to lose volume. I see posts like this and I get worried. I am only just past one week out from the treatment. There are ways to add volume back in. Beside regular fillers, there are specialists out there who replace volume with fat from the patient. This procedure has been refined and there are experts who are doing some amazing work. If this happened to me, and I hope that it does not, I would definitely be heading in that direction. The fat is supposed to last, too -- with the right specialist. I am happy that I did ultherapy on my lower face but really feel now that I had refused the upper because I just did not need it and I'm already kind of bony there. I guess that time will tell. Are there other people out there who have thin faces who this did not happen to?
I honestly wish I had read more about this because I did not know that this was something that has happened to other people. If I had read this review before my procedure last week, I would have stuck with the lower face only.
Kate...just to make you feel a bit better...there ARE ways to restore lost volume that happens to ALL of us as we age. There are so many options, from fillers like juvederm and restylane, to radiesse, sculptra and of course, our own fat. Again, it all depends on the doctor you choose. Please, however, try not to think about that now. Concentrate on looking forward to your results and try to stay positive!!! Xoxo, Jill
Thanks, Jill!!!
Eek I'm feeling the same way,I'm only 2 days in , I thought it might help with the droopy eyes from bad Botox injections I just got 6 weeks ago, it's the waiting game now I suppose and try not get to excited.
Your brows are just a little higher and the area around you eyes, especially the inside corners, look less hallowed out.