I Regret Ever Having Lumineers - Dallas, TX

I chose Lumineers to help fill in some of the gaps...

I chose Lumineers to help fill in some of the gaps in between my front 4 teeth. I had previously cosmetic bonding that was slowly wearing away after over a decade of no issues.

I was intruigued by the advertising that Lumineers didn't have to shave down the original tooth - like traditional veneers. Also the "three short visits" was appealing as well.

What a lie.

The first batch that came in had one broken - so it had to be remade. The first batch that was installed took a very long time and my gums were lacerated- and the dentist had to drill into the Lumineers to shape them - particularly the big front tooth (the other big front tooth arrived broken). The big front tooth had a strange indention in them - to look "natural" . But my original front teeth did not have indentions to begin with - so I felt like I had horse teeth.

So I am as perplexed as other reviewers - you know these are made in a lab -why do they have to be adjusted so much at the dentists' office? I was told that the lab technician they normally request left the company.

Another one did not have the right symmetry with the other mirrored tooth. When the broken one was cemented - the dentist used a different colored cement - so it was darker than the other 9 teeth. A week later when I had the contacts in between the teeth released (that's a fancy term for removing the left over cement in between the teeth) a third Lumineer mysteriously had a horizontal crack through it.

After that visit - I still had some rear teeth that did not have the left over cement removed - so I was unable to floss. When I forced myself to floss with a floss aide - a fourth Lumineer popped off. I was livid.
I thought - wow - I spent 10k and my smile is uneven in color/hue, there is a symmetry issue on one tooth, one fell out after flossing, and one has a horizontal crack through it.

I asked my dentist to remove all of the Lumineers and start over which he agreed to do. I'm still waiting to have the new ones installed. Lumineers my natural bell shaped teeth as not being workable with the Lumineers. So my dentist did what I didn't want to do - shave my natural teeth down. They aren't shaven down as much as a traditional veneer but they look awful.

It's now been a month and I still haven't received the new batch of Lumineers. My dentist office told me that the Lumineer company is going through a "quality control" with my batch since I've had issues - so they will take even longer to deliver them to me.

I completely regret ever buying Lumineers. They break, chip, crack and an exceptional amount of time has to be reserved for prepping the teeth, installing the Lumineers, releasing the contacts in between the teeth (which can take two or more visits), and if you have any issues - you then have to reserve time to start the whole process over.

I know my experience is not over yet. I will update once I have the new ones in.

I honestly can't recommend my dentist because had I been informed upfront about possible issues that could occur (apparently one of his family members had a bad "batch") I would have reconsidered ever buying Lumineers.

We frequently redo Lumineers in my practice. In the right hands and in the correct patient lumineers can be made to look good to ok. Most often if not done correctly they tend to be bulky and unnatural. Ask for the dentist you choose to show you before and after photos that THEY did themselves. (Not purchased) That way you can have an idea if you like the esthetic the doctor produces.
Hi I just found this article & I have had the same issues. It's ridiculous! Unfortunately my dentist is closed on Mondays so I am walking around with a tooth where half of my lumineer cracked off while brushing my teeth! This is the 4th issue I have had in 6 years!

Hi, I found this article after, knowing that there is yet another problem with one of my lumineers, yet I will not return to the dentist who did this to my teeth 5 years ago . I wanted to share something with you. I went to the dentist to have lumineers, I had beautiful teeth due to major dental work I had done all my life as a kid, but my gums were receeding so I wanted my teeth to be beautiful, white and cover up the receeding on the top 2 teeth next to my front teeth . So we would do 6 top teeth to do lumineers to make a complete. Remember Im only here to cover up receding teeth. The first 2 teeth were one color, the next tooth came in broken. For some reason the other teeth didn't show. The teeth were not that white. But he wasn't finished yet he stated. I would not here from him for 2 months! But I did here from Care Credit asking how I liked my Lumineers? I was shocked to find out they had cashed my check for the services, I had not received. Then they told me he was not a certified dealer to do lumineers. He had never done lumineers. I was his first. I demanded my money be returned, until my services were rendered. when the next teeth came in he stated he could not order them until I paid. long story short. when he went to file between the gum of the two teeth he split my gum with the brass blade and it needed stitches. I do not have white teeth, they do not match, and he states, that lumineers would not fix receeding gum lines. I'm sorry that is the only reason I had them put on, he sold them to me based on this, he reason for them not being white, that wouldn't looked good you don't want to stand out. And his reason or not matching, well teeth are not all the same color if they matched they would look fake. oh my gosh. I have not been back This is the biggest loser of a dentist, Lebanon , Tennessee

Wow! That's awful you went through this and still having bad experience...I thought my experience was bad! I'm still onboard if anyone hear or read of a class action sue because this is unethical to continue to take people hard earned money like this is a joke? I'm very disappointed and I really enjoyed my dentist office until this nightmare and no refunds, no empathy, nothing! If I knew all the risk and side effects I would have reconsidered also. However, all the dentist staff tell you is how wonderful the lumineers are going to be? Hum Bug..
Lumineers are a joke they looked good for a year now they are grey and 3 yrs later.
I had regular veneers that they SAID lasted 20yrs or more. And they had to shave my teeth down to nubs so I'll have to keep the veneers forever. Well, most have lasted 5-6 yrs (had 3 that broke in 1-2 yrs). Unless your smile is horrible or you have lots of money to continue investing in replacing those veneers every few years FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, don't do it!!! I really wish I hadn't been persuaded by all the hype (translation: false advertising.)
I so agree with you!!i have done the 2 front teeth and I regretted it everyday!I have so much sensitivity on one of the I can't event floss proper.i also find that one of the Veneer is separating from the gum!!total regret and waste of money.
I have read the post on this topic and my only regret is that you did not use me as your Lumineers Dentist. Let me explain; I have been placing these before they were called Lumineers. Since 1997 to be exact. My success rate is rather high or I would not be doing the procedure today or lecturing to dentist all over the world on how to place them. What really makes me sad is the fact that many of you are talking about cutting your teeth rather than getting Lumineers done. Prior to cutting your teeth, please understand, that once you remove the tooth structure you can't get it back and you will always need veneers or crowns redone. Lumineers are reversible, veneers or crowns are not. Please reconsider before doing. Whatever you decide, enjoy your new smile, all of you deserve it. David SIlber, DMD AKA The Lumineers Guy Mapleshade Dental Care Dallas, TX

From what I understand Lumineers still often need prepping. It seems they are advertised as the prepless veneer, but many members have reported that they actually did have their teeth shaved down before placement of the lumineers.

Again, every clinician writes his own book. If and when I prep, I remove a minimal amount to enamel. I try to smoothen out the tooth. I have never had to numb a patient. If the cutting is to deep the patient will get sensitive teeth and I haven't had that happen to my patients. When I lecture to dentist, I can tell which ones get it and which ones will continue to cut teeth. Remember, the dentist's comfort zone is cutting teeth. The patient's comfort zone is not having pain. I have been able to deliver to my patients pain free smile makeovers. David Silber, DMD AKA The Lumineers Guy Mapleshade Dental Care Dallas, TX 75252

Can you provide some clarity around what you mean by "the dentist's comfort zone is cutting teeth."? It seems to me many dentists want to preserve as much healthy tooth structure as possible, so I'm not seeing how cutting teeth would be a "comfort zone" so to speak.

Yes, dentist want to preserve tooth structure; however, if they feel the result will be better they might prepare the tooth for a more esthetic outcome.

Which makes sense since most people wouldn't be happy with big Chiclet teeth, and adding another layer over the existing tooth seems could quickly add bulk, especially when we consider it seems it can be just millimeters, or sometimes even fractions of millimeters that make the difference in both look and feel.

Also realize that while the company makes crazy, exorbitant statements on their web page about how long they last (20 years!!!) they are only waranteed for 5 years. Why is that, do you suppose?

Five years goes by fast; then you're paying the dentist every time they have to be put back on (that's assuming you don't lose the veneer), and you're going to be doing that repeatedly. If you lose them, you're out of luck.
I have one and it's a major hassle. I bite VERY carefully or it falls off. I can't imagine having a mouthful, what a drag that must be.

Think about the last time you tried to superglue something together. How long did it last? Not very I bet. Glues are just not very effective under continued mechanical stress, and teeth get a lot of that.

Wow..I really appreciate all these posts..I had a consult yesterday for Lumineers..for 10 top teeth the cost is $7,400...I was going to start my savings so by end of December I could have them done...after reading all these posts I have decided NOT to have Lumineers..I will check into actual Veneers or Crowns...God Bless All of you who shared your stories

Never get Lumineers. You will be at the dentist once a month. Get veneers. I am goint to replace my Lumineers with veneers every time another Lumineer cracks. After paying over $10,000.00 my dentist didn't even give me a full in on my front tooth. I looked hidious!!!

If you don't mind having them glued back on every so often (mine have stayed on from a few weeks to a couple of years), I guess they do the job cosmetically. I wish I'd gone the bridge/crown route though. Don't know what happens if a Lumineer falls off in your sleep and gets lost in the sheets or you swallow it. More money for a new one and more smile down time I guess - consider that in the cost.
This Dentist is excellent Dr. David Silber. You should check him out. Financing is also avaliable for this work.
David Silber, DMD
19200 Preston Road
Suite 100
Dallas, TX 75252
972-232-2838
Yep. My smile too looks very horse-like. the issues cleared up though, the gum swelling and bleeding as well. I figure I paid for these so I will wear them hopefully for 10 years. Then if I decide to take them off and try something else that will be more durable and give me a smaller more realistic smile - I'll go that route. Best of luck to you!
I had lumineers removed today! They made my mouth look like a horse. I have a small mouth and a nice smile. I only asked for this because I wanted a brighter smile and was coached by a group of professional crooks this would be ideal. I'm so disappointed, my feeling are hurt because I had so much confidence in the dentist! I only wore them for a week before they started poping off, gums swelling, bleeding, etc...Be satisfied the way God made you!!
My dentist did not charge me for the work but I had to ask him to redo it. He did not offer even though they were visibly not great. Good luck!
I haven't gone back with the intention of giving a formal complaint. I only hinted at not liking them once when I was having some other work done, so I don't know what the dentist will do or say.
Since they've gotten greyer over time, I'm assuming that it's the bonding material they used. Also since my teeth are way smaller than I imagined they would be, I would think there would be room to make a more thicker one like they did for you.
Did your dentist charge you for the extra work?
It's worth a shot for me to ask. I don't have the funds right now for crowns or vaneers. I'm still paying off the loan for the Lumineers.....plus some other work I had done.
I also need 2 bridges and some crowns in the back.
Unfortunatly soft teeth run in my family, so almost every single tooth in my mouth has had something done to it. I brush and floss regularly.......but it doesn't seem to matter.
Anyway thanks for your input!
Or get crowns instead of veneers.
If you read my original post -you'll see that the first set of Lumineers were uneven in color - grey would be a good way to describe the off color. It could be the lumineer shade and also the bonding color they use underneath it. I was so unhappy that I asked my dentist to remove them all (I had 10) and start over. I had my teeth shaved down and Lumineers made a thicker, whiter Lumineer that is not so see through and used their whitest bonding color.

Since you've worn yours though for a while, that's probably why your dentist is reluctant to cover the cost of going back to Lumineers to replace yours. You probably should have complained within the first few days. Some people like a more natural color since the super white ones I have may not look very real. But I'd prefer a whiter look than have an uneven greyish appearance. Traditional veneers - the dentist has to reduce the size of your teeth to little nubs - but they can make more realistic colors that are not so transparent. That's what I'm saving up for the future.