Invisalign: The crooked road to straight teeth. :)

I had my attachments and tray one put in yesterday...

I had my attachments and tray one put in yesterday. Am feeling very ambivalent about it! I didn't have any personal cost to it because a dentist I know did it "at cost" for me (awesome) and my insurance covered the entire amount. The only downside of getting something "for free" is that I didn't weigh in on all the non-monetary sacrifices of it. For one, I am currently feeling very self-conscious. I have buttons on ALL of my front teeth, top and bottom and it is way more noticeable than I thought it'd be. I also have a major lisp and do not smile "naturally" in them. I also despise taking the super tight trays out; it gives me anxiety. Finally, it's a major bummer I cannot drink Diet Coke all day like I did before. However, I know that is a habit that needed to end anyway.

So, I have spent the past two days unfortunately regretting my decision. I am praying that as I get used to it more, I'll feel less awkward about it in social settings, that my speech will get better, and that I'll become more comfortable with the appliance.

My back story is that I had braces for 4.5 years in junior high/high school. I have a very small mouth and fairly big teeth. I had every procedure/appliance known to mankind, or so it seems including multiple extractions, gum surgery, the key/lock thing on the roof of your mouth to expand your bite, head gear, etc. I did wear my retainer, maybe not quite as much as I should have, but pretty well. However, one of my main problems, an eye tooth receding, began happening while I was wearing my retainer! They tried to add a little piece to keep it from falling back more, but it didn't work that well. So, I'm wondering if that orthodontist did a correct plan to begin with.

Anyway, my teeth or not horrible, but that one eye tooth drives me crazy, I have several bottom teeth that are crooked, and back up on top, what has concerned me the most is that my one of my two front teeth is starting to really push forward compared to the other. I was told that I should have 21 trays, so 42 weeks of treatment. That is, if everything goes as planned, of course.

So, I jumped on the chance to fix it all.

I'm REALLY hoping this is worth it and that I feel less depressed about it after a week or two. Someone tell me something encouraging, lol.

Almost Done With First Trays

I am about 1.5 weeks in my journey and am less depressed about it overall currently. I feel I am adjusting better to the trays, but I am dreading the change to tray set number two. I'll be doing that on Tuesday evening. Wish me luck!

Before Pic

Thanksgiving 2013 with tray one in.

Day Two of Aligners Two

So, I made my first switch over on Tuesday night, right before bed, at about 10 PM. I actually got them in just fine, and the tightness was oddly enjoyable. I guess just feeling it tight makes me feel excited for progress in moving them. Anyway, woke up around 7 AM and took them out without incident to brush. They were fairly sore, but not as bad as I thought they were going to be. Except when it came time to snap them back in. Holy moly, I almost cried. The pain, especially once my bottoms were back in, was insane. But only lasted a couple of minutes and then I was okay. However, I was terrified to take them out again and I didn't until dinner time--about ten hours later! I was starving. I guess between then was enough time for my teeth to adjust because I got them out and back in with 1/5 the pain, thank goodness. Am now on day two and really, they fit great and while I have soreness, it's not that bad and at least the new trays aren't eating up the sides of my mouth or tongue like I was worried about.

I was doing the math and realized I have to change to tray four on NYE. Are you frickin serious? Talk about bad timing, lol! Way to ring in the new year!

Holiday

Looking forward to your updates!
Thanks for reading!
I'm really glad to hear that your discomfort isn't too bad so far. Taking them out for the first few days! I dread it!!!! My tray change is scheduled to be the day before NYE…aww hell no. I am going to be changing trays a day earlier than my normal schedule so that my initial 2-3 day pain is done by PARTY TIME. Altering the schedule by one day for this one set? I feel it's not going to derail the whole thing but I'll be double checking with the doc on my first check-in in about a week.
You could wear the set an extra 2 days instead and change on new years day. That way you can keep them out longer on new years eve without worrying about wear time since you will have worn them for an extra 2 days! ;)
I did think about doing that. I'm just not sure if I want to take two retainers on the road with me for NYE. (And I have such pain every tray change that I have to do them before bed or I won't keep them in!) :/ I'm doubting I'll take them out for NYE…I tend to drink only vodka tonics and feel it would be reasonable enough to just clean them at the end of the night since my hygiene has otherwise been by the book. My teeth hate having the trays out at this point and the attachments eat up my cheeks anyway… :/ I'll be updating. The holidays present quite a challenge!
I know, I may try to see about changing not on NYE, too. Talk about a downer! Let me know what your doc says to do!
Honestly, I drink alcohol with them in on weekend evenings. About every hour, I take them out and rinse and brush. I think dentists would agree that it's better to have them in while dirtying them up instead of leaving them out a long time. I worry about it, but like I said every hour or so, I take out to clean.
Ortho says I am clear to switch New Year's Day and continue on my regular schedule as long as they feel like they're done moving (like they normally feel at the end of a tray) by the time it's time for the next aligner. :)
Congrats on starting your treatment - and bonus, it didn't cost anything!! That's nice! You'll start looking forward to changing the trays and having that fresh, snug feeling when you put them in! When you change to a new tray, you could change them after dinner / before bed, so that you get more time with the new tray in and it won't be near as sore by the time you get up and going the next morning. I get a lisp on the first day or two of wear then it disappears after my mouth gets used to the new tray. I look forward to reading your updates as you move through your treatment!!
Thanks, Michelle! I did make the switch right before I went to bed. I took them out to brush this morning and when I put them back in, my bottom teeth killed! So, I haven't done it again yet--I'm scared, too. Eventually, I'll get hungry enough. :) Thanks again for your encouragement!
I still have a lisp on week five of my treatment. I've given up hope of it going away, but others do tell me that they don't notice it. I feel you on the depressing side of things. I miss my flavored drinks and granola bars and not waking up feeling like my teeth were in a vice. :P Hopefully your second tray will be less uncomfortable for you!
Thanks, Latentsmile! I have a slight lisp and it's annoying but nothing like those first few days. That was friggin embarrassing! I fit in more Diet Coke than I should, but I've definitely cut back, which is probably a good thing. Second trays are in and I'm sore, but at least the trays are tearing up my mouth. I was nervous about that.
I had a lisp for the first 2 weeks or so.. I still have one slightly but for the most part it has gone thank god! And also, you do get less self conscious about them, I often even forget I have them in my mouth and I'm only on tray 3!
Thanks, VB23! I'm starting week three and I already am adjusted fairly well. Not as self conscious and not lisping too much, thank goodness. How long's your treatment plan?

Your son is adorable!!!!  And you are beautiful, even before your teeth are done :).  Don't freak out too much about the second set of aligners.  It is uncomfortable, but nothing you can't get through.  And it's only a couple of days before you're over it.  Sometimes the next tray is barely noticeable because the particular teeth that are getting moved are ones that just don't bother you as much.  Good luck on Tuesday :)

Thank you! I put in the second trays last night and while they felt tight, I kind of liked it. Tight = making progress, lol. But this morning I took them out to brush my teeth and when I popped them back on, holy hell, it huuuuuuurrrt. It's almost 1 PM and I've yet to eat anything, because I'm dreading have to do it again, lol. Eventually I'll get hungry enough, haha! Thanks for the sweet comments! That's my oldest; I also have a 1.5 year old boy. They keep me on my toes!

Oh, BTW, I never got over the lisping thing, but it was very, very mild.  Most people don't notice when I have my retainer in though it makes me lisp.  You get used to the way your mouth works and that minimizes the speech and spitting difficulties.  For some people, though, it never disappears completely.  I'm a singer and I'm able to sing with my retainer in, but I wouldn't perform with it in.

Thanks for the comments! My lisp isn't as bad as it was before, but not completely gone. I'm going to upload a photo now. Looking at it makes me realize how not straight my teeth are, so I'm glad I'm going through this process. I look forward to reading your story!

Yeah, the photos are a great sanity check ;).  I came to the Invisalign community late in my treatment (I started off here as a Mommy Makeover person) so I don't have much there.  :)

It gets better!!!!!!  Seriously!  To be honest, every time you put in a new tray, it'll be painful (some more than others, depending on which teeth are being moved) but it lasts a couple of days.  Then your teeth start settling into the tray, and it just feels like a nice hug on your teeth.  By the time it's time to change the tray, it's more comfortable with it in than out, because when you take the tray out, your teeth suddenly feel unsupported.  And then in few trays, you start seeing progress and that's its own reward!  As far as the pain in the beginning, my ortho recommended putting the trays in for the first time right before a stretch when you won't have to take them out for 6-8 hours.  That helped a lot.  Also, if you start getting raw spots in your mouth, use ortho wax.

I look forward to following your progress!  Let me know if you have any trouble adding pictures :)