Brow, Face and Neck Lift - Dallas, TX

I had a brow, face and neck lift Jan 2011. I went...

I had a brow, face and neck lift Jan 2011. I went to 5 surgeons before choosing one. After this experience I realize NOT ONE of the surgeons told me or prepared me for the REAL experience. If they had I would not have put myself through this nightmare.

I do not look the same, my face is a different shape, I have no cheeks, and my eyes continue to be a problem and I will probably require additional surgery. The opthalmic ps (who got the dirty deal of having to correct this) confessed that he's hears my same complaints "all the time from women who've had facelifts".

This is not a simple operation that you'll be "down" 10- 14 days. I did not leave the house to go out to dinner for 10 weeks and then I was stared at. I think it should a law that the surgeon informs the patient of every possible detail of not only the actual surgery but the truth about what the longest and most severe recovery could be.

This is a 6 month recovery not 6 weeks. I had between 200 and 220 sutures/staples. My eyes were swollen completely shut, deep purple, and the size of golf balls for about a week. I was not able to return to work due to the fact that it would've scared my students to see me so differently and ended up retiring.

Do botox, get skin treatments, whatever, but don't have invasive surgery. I am still not finished with this nightmare, I will probably have to have additional surgery on my eyes and cheeks, the estimate is another $15,000 plus possible hair transplant!

I know you consulted with Dr.'s in Austin and you liked them the best, could I please have their names? Also, I still have numbness and a slightly droopy smile on one side now, so I am not sure what to do, but we love to talk to you through maybe your private email. Also, did any of the doctors talk about doing fat injections? I think that might help in my case where there is an indention between my eye and cheeck bone.
See your private message for my cell number.
Can you please provide me with the Dr.'s you consulted in Austin? I am seeking one in Austin but new to the area. I can benefit from your input and suggestion. Thanks.

I would avoid a doctor that doesn't explain the...

I would avoid a doctor that doesn't explain the procedures in detail, that doesn't answer your questions directly, If he/she dances around a question don't walk out, RUN.
Even after 14 months, I do not look better, my face is hour glass shaped, my eye lids are droopy, I have caved in cheeks, my jowls are out of proportion, I have scars that will need to be revised and folds under my chin. Scheduled for more surgery, ching,ching.

I've been blogging with some of you about my...

I've been blogging with some of you about my experience but didn't want my pictures on the internet. I have changed my mind because I want those of you who are considering surgery to understand the risks you're taking and I think a picture can explain that better than anything I can say. I, of course, had seen bad outcomes in pictures but I truely believed it couldn't or wouldn't happen to me. Please be careful when choosing your surgeon and understand what you're risking.
Thank you! No, PS did not tell me I would lose volume in the face. I did not do brow lift or any surgery above the eyes. I was just starting to show some lose skin below the neck under the chin. I did this surgery for prevention. Looking back I would not have done the neck lift. It is a pain and I feel it has slowed me down. Not that great of a result. Extended microlift is only what I should have done. Hind site is 20/20. .... GLTA
Cali 1958,

Did your surgeon explain that a facelift is basically pulling and tightening loose skin?

Fillers are then needed for volume duue to loss of collagen about every six months, twice a year, but varies with individuals. Restylane which works great but doesn't last as long as Radiesse which is a thicker gel and used to volumize the cheek area. Botox or Dysport (not a filler) is also needed for frown lines, crow feet, under eye lines, etc. Dysport cost less per unit than Botox and seems to last longer. Facials, microdermabrasions, chemical peels, etc., are also recommended for a facial glow; but again varies per individual.

What I have learned, based on much research, is that once we commit to a facelift we need to keep up in order to maintain that new look...so finding a surgeon we are comfortable with and who has the right "credentials" is the key; and by "credentials" I don't mean Board Certified.

Overall, Congratulations! I'm glad you're happy with your recent procedure.
Monday I had my fillers done and I love it!!!! I wish I would have done that sooner! I feel more like myself again, it is amazing. I would definately recommend the facial fillers - cheeks look great, just about as good as before........

April 2012- My opinion is still the same. I would...

April 2012- My opinion is still the same. I would not go to Jay Burns if you paid me. I'm 12 days postop from a revision by Dr. Rohrich and my face is much closer to what I use to look like but still not the same. The experience with Dr. Rohrich at UTSW was AMAZING compared to the experience with Jay Burns at the little surgery center. I look back on it and feel lucky to be alive.
I am going to interview plastic surgeons in November and one of them is Rohrich. Do you recommend him or are there others that you have seen that may be better.
When having lipo. No one tolde how painful. It really is. I'm 11 days out what should I be doing to helps self get back to normal
I have a low tolerance for pain.My face and neck are almost cleared up very little swelling
and bruising. my ears still hurt.after reading all the horror stories,I am afraid to have any
more surgery .I never knew so many things could happen.I am surprised stars have so
much plastic surgery.I couldn't believe black,blue purple,was happy with all her surgery
If I were her I would be very concerned..

I continue to hear from a few of Dr. Burns'...

I continue to hear from a few of Dr. Burns' patients that are very displeased with their results, as I am also. It has been almost 2 years since JB did surgery on me. I have had a revision with fair results but I will never look the same. I wish the others would speak up and stop being fearful of repercussions so that others would see the extent of this lack of skill. The last time I visited JB, I felt he was uncaring, arrogant, unable to admit his work did not have a good outcome, contradicted himself on several issues, and actually stated he wished the docs who gave me 2nd opinions would say those things to him. Oh, if he only knew what they said.

You look great and facial ps is a must if you want to stay looking as young as you feel! I'll never stop trying to look better. I feel great and want to look in the mirror and see a pleasant face staring back at me!
Hi Notforme, I just came across this review -- I agree with you 100% that facial ps is a nightmare. I'm am of the opinion that ps is only warranted in 2 circumstances: if a person has a genetic facial deformity or if the are in an accident that damages their face. For normal aging issues? NO WAY. By the way, I read our original ps credentials & he sounds great (experienced, board certified, etc.) Just goes to show how you can never really be sure what your results will be regardless of how qualified your ps is.
You look better, and much younger after the revision, then you did in all the before pictures. This doctor did a really good job in correcting the horrendous mess that first doctor did to your face. also, I think you look even better now, then you did before the first operation.
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

This doctor talks a good sale but did not inform me of the reality of the surgery. He spends most of his time trying to reassure you that he forgets to tell you about the real deal. All the surgeons I consulted with minimized the severity/extent of the surgery and recovery. I stressed to him that I did not want to look like I'd had a facelift, I also feel like I was talked in to having more surgery than I wanted or felt like I needed. I didn't get good instructions from the nursing staff. At the 4 week appointment I was told I didn't need to come back "unless you just want to". I feel like I look so horrible that I would never post pictures on the internet.Updated on 14 Feb 2012:I had a face, neck, and brow lift 13 months ago. I feel I was not well informed on what my choices were and what to expect postop. (I was told I'd be "presentable to go back to work in 2 wk") I quit my job after 8 weeks due to my altered looks and embarrassment. My face is now shaped like an hour glass, I have bald scars on the sides of my scalp, my eyes look nothing like myself. He spent most of our time together telling you how wonderful he was and that he's "there for you", but then saw me a total of 4 times after the surgery and said I didn't need to come back when he was confronted with the fact that he was deceptive about and did not inform me of the fact that he did not know how to do a brow lift without changing my hairline. This man was not able to admit that the surgery was not a good outcome and did not make any suggestions for correction. My experience with his surgical team was also a disaster which added fuel to the fire. In my opinion, this man either has a bad memory or has trouble telling the truth. I went to 5 different ps for 2nd opinions and they ALL agreed that I needed revision, one surgeon actually ask if a "real ps" had done my surgery, 2 oculoplastic guys ask (without knowing how unhappy I was)"are you happy with your facelift results?" Maybe I'm his only botch job but by the time I pay for the revision, hair tranplants, and possible eye surgery I'll have about 50K tied up in this "refreshed" look I was after. Be careful and even consider recording your visits with you phone.