Explanted with Melmed!! - Dallas, TX

This website has proven invaluable to me--many,...

This website has proven invaluable to me--many, many of the stories here have provided information, suggestions and support. The honesty has been so refreshing--and as I start my [very short wait time now} journey to explant, I simply wanted to chronicle my thoughts here, too!

As a teenager I had terrible problems with my jaw. After many years of braces, night-guards, visits with orthodontists and the like--I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis of the tempero-mandibular joint {jaw}. I had a very difficult surgery my second year of college, spent an entire summer wiring myself shut every night, and finally began the road to recovery. I remembered my sweet surgeon telling me that my body was quite delicate, and that I needed to take excellent care of it. He also warned that I would most assuradely have joint/arthritis problems through out my life. I was eighteen.

While in college I convinced myself that I would never be beautiful or confident without breast augmentation. I found a wonderful doctor and had mentor smooth saline implants placed over the muscle. I went from a tiny size 32AA to a 32C. One month after the surgery my mother was diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer. My surgeon assured me that my implants were behind any natural breast tissue I had, and would actually allow for better mammogram imaging, and that I had a full, healthy life ahead of me.

Fast forward a bit--engagement, marriage, two precious babies {both breastfed}. I'm now 36 years old with a laundry list of aches/pains, arthritis, carpal tunnel, fatigue and thyroid issues. That said--I live a full and happy life. My husband is my best friend, my children are adorable handfuls--ages six and four. I have an amazing extended family. I am truly blessed.

And the plain and simple truth is I want these implants out. I have learned, through a very expensive lesson, that I was beautifully designed by my heavenly father, and these implants have done NOTHING to improve my self-worth, confidence or appearance. I choose health and happiness. I don't want to live my life having repetitive surgeries to fix/lift/repair implants. I don't want any interference with mammograms. I don't want to tell my daughter that she's indescribably beautiful while implants are inside of me. I don't want to teach my son that a women's value is based on her appearance. I have changed, and I'm so HAPPY to be at this point in my life where I don't need or WANT implants any longer.

I am scheduled for a consult with Dr. Melmed in Dallas on November 26th, surgery to follow the next morning. I do not yet know if I will need a lift, but suspect that I might.

Bottom line--I am just so thankful to the women here for their candid honesty and their courage. I'm hopeful that the next few weeks of my journey--chronicled here--will help someone, too. More soon . . .

Have you talked with Dr Melmed yet? He is on my list of Doctors to contact due to his explant experience. He does not have very much online information. Congrats on your decision.
Hi amanda, Thank you for sharing your story. I too have an amazing husband and children the same age as yours. Your comments about your children reflect my thoughts exactly! You'll soon be free and feel so true to yourself. Please keep us posted! xx
this is wonderful! thank you for sharing the lesson you learned!!!! your earnesty is touching. best luck on your surgery! please keep us posted and updated w/ post-op photos! :)

Wanted to post quickly about my experience with Dr...

Wanted to post quickly about my experience with Dr. Melmed and his office. I called a few weeks ago, spoke with his office manager/receptionist, and within minutes she emailed me information about the procedure, anethesia, hotels, after-care and pricing. She gave me her email address, and reminded me to call with any concerns or questions. Within an hour, Dr. Melmed called me THREE times. He is so warm, kind and tender on the phone. I felt immediately at ease with his "bedside manner" and personality. He clearly believes in what he does, and offers support, wisdom and information readily. He asked me to email pictures/info about my age, weight, history and the implants. Talk about eating humble pie to send someone pictures of yourself topless!! But, he called me back early the next week to let me know he had reviewed my information and bloodwork and I was an ideal candidate. He also asked gently if my husband was supportive of my decision, and was I absolutely certain I wanted to explant. I told him I was 100% certain and my husband is the best friend in the world, who supports my every endeavor, including this one. He and Janet scheduled me immediately, and again, both told me to email/call with any questions. Wonderful and exemplary service! :-) Less than two weeks to explant!
Hope you're doing well!!! Hugs xx
Hope everything went well!
How did it go???

My explant surgery was a little over a week ago. ...

My explant surgery was a little over a week ago. I've spent the last ten days really taking it easy, and I AM SO HAPPY I DID IT! First things first--my breasts are small and lovely and real and NOT at all deformed looking. Dr. Melmed was wonderful and his staff was just as fabulous. The hospital experience was outstanding.

I am still healing. I have some slight twinges of pain every now and then, and have learned to really rest and take the necessary time to recover. One side bruised, and is still quite yellow, but both breasts are looking great. I'm probably a true 34A, and am THRILLED to be back to "just me". Tomorrow is my last day wearing the sports bra, and I need to keep the tape over the incisions for another week or so. My only complaint has been nausea--which stopped as soon as I discontinued the pain meds, on Day 2. Day 2 drains were removed {ouch--but it was fast}, and by Day 4 I was in the car heading back to Houston. I developed small blisters on my abdomen where the drain tubing rubbed a bit, but that is healing and looking good. Day 6 I found I could sleep on my side with minimal pain . . . And now I'm at Day 9, and I feel fantastic. I haven't done any house work or picked up children or dogs . . . I have worn the sports bra around the clock, excluding the shower.

Ladies--I'll post pictures this weekend--and in the mean time I want to encourage each of you considering explantation. It's a JOY to be back to my delicate, feminine, slender self and the journey was worthwhile. I am so thankful to God for the chance to do this . . . And I'm also truly thankful for the new appreciation I have for my REAL body.
They look so good! And very cute what the doctor does with the tape!
Amanda you look beautiful , you have small breasts to match your tiny waist!
Health1st--you just MADE my day! Thank you for the lovely compliment! It is so great to be free of the implants. I'm blessed beyond measure!

Thought of a few things that might help others . ....

Thought of a few things that might help others . . . And that's the whole point of this, so here goes!

-I did have an internal lift. Both sides were "bottomed out", a term Dr. Melmed used in his exam. I also had a small {maybe an inch or so} cresent-shaped piece of skin removed from my left side. My left side measured two inches lower than my right on the day of surgery. Dr. Melmed drew on my chest, breasts, collar-bone area and took several measurements just prior to surgery. I have had more bruising/swelling on my left side due to the additional work needed to even things out.

-I'm terrified of IV's. Silly, I know. The nurse numbed my arm before administering the IV. I felt absolutely NOTHING! It was wonderful--and I will request this for all future surgeries for both myself and my children.

-After having the drains removed I was allowed to sleep in a front-opening sports bra. I couldn't get comfortable in it, and so I wrapped myself back up in the surgical bandage {Ace-type} which felt more "secure". Dr. Melmed suggested that I might prefer the Ace-wrap during my travel back to Houston. For those of you flying or driving soon after surgery, this might be a good idea.

-I ordered a front-closure cotton bra prior to surgery, and wasn't comfortable in it. On Day 3 I went to Gap Body and bought a light-weight sports bra. I stepped into it, as lifting my arms was strictly prohibited until Day 10. I've worn a different bra for the last few days to give me a little shape, but as soon as I get home I grab my stretchy Gap bra and put it back on. It's oddly comforting right now, and limits any bouncing or movement.

-My sister helped me quite a bit around the house. Dr. Melmed told me NO making beds, vacuuming, house-work or exercise. He actually told me that I "was allowed to do three things. Feed my face. Brush my teeth. Wipe my bottom." Something that helped was moving things down from overhead cabinets so that I wouldn't have to reach up. Also, put a small stool in the kitchen for about a week.

-Dr. Melmed saved my saline implants and returned them to me. I weighed them--they felt so heavy--but they were only a pound!

-Okay, this is kinda gross--but I took plain stool softener for about a week post-surgery. Surgery can really slow down my system, and I just didn't need constipation problems, too!

More soon, and new pics when the tape is gone! XOXO!
Amanda, your small breasts look lovely! I, too, originally was this size -- with implants only ~34B. (Implants are 230cc and 210cc, overs). I don't expect results as good as yours, but I sure wouldn't mind them small & lovely again. (I've had silicon implants 30 years! CC for 30 years! Ruptured implants for 15 or more!) ...Not sure how I will ever be able to afford to get mine out, but I am so ready!
Also when were you able and feeling well enough for working out? And how many weeks when you were comfortable doing pull-up, push up or any vigorous exercise?
I just got cleared to start slow workouts (i.e treadmill, elliptical) and I am 4 weeks post op today. My incisions are still tender so I'm not pushing it. Doctors are different and depends on extent of your surgery. Good luck!
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Melmed was a prince. What a compassionate, caring person--and an exemplary surgeon. My results are impeccable, and the care I rec'd was nothing short of outstanding.