Explant Complete! - Dallas, TX

This blog is the reason I am doing this tomorrow!...

This blog is the reason I am doing this tomorrow! Thankful for all who have gone before me and shared their experiences. Same story as many: skinny girl with flat chest, silicone implants (300cc) over the muscle in 12/88 (I was 18!), replaced in 12/00 to go down to a 225cc, stayed with silicone (wanted 200cc but they "weren't in stock"). Have miraculously nursed 2 babies in 2003 and 2005 but always had trouble with the left one, clogged milk duct. Several years later discovered a rupture at mammogram, intracapsular so I was told "it's no big deal."

Today, I can't lay on my left side and my left breast is pretty hard. Recently have been getting numbness and tingling in my hands and feet and joint pain. Weird since I'm only 43. Hoping to resolve some of this with this explant and become healthier..... Will be hard not to do yoga and exercise for however long!

Surgery went well, sore already, particularly left side

Happy to have this part over! Everyone was very professional and nice at the Ambulatory Care Center and I don't remember much except waking up in recovery. Bandage is very tight but it doesn't bother me. Throat sore from tube but again not a big deal. I'm actually amazed that I feel as well as I do. In fact, my husband took me across the street the Boston Market and ate soup and cornbread. As you can see in the pic, I am truly flat as a pancake although yes anything there is smooshed down. Dr. Melmed did say that I have "very little tissue." Soooo, have to get used to that. No regrets though!

Post-Op Day 2

Well I feel pretty good but the girls look pretty sad today. Not that I could blame them with 25 years of abuse by silicone. There is quite a lot of wrinkled skin that my body will hopefully be able to fill in time. I'm optimistic only because of those of you who have gone before me and had similar concerns. Thank you!!
Drains came out yesterday and this was quite painful but my time of the month came today so I think that's part of my ultra-sensitivity. Dr. Melmed was very sweet and apologetic that it hurt me. (I actually cried and have had 2 c-sections, one bladder injury and nursed 2 babies. I don't recall ever crying during those times.) I did appreciate his kind words though. He and his staff have been great to deal with. I will be sad for the explanting community when he retires although there is no mention of his doing so.
I just had a shower and that was great. Back in my Walmart bra and PJ top! The inactivity is hard..... Really need my yoga class for my hips and back due to the tightness. Oh well, gonna try and do some stretches and read a book. Just glad to have them OUT! Still no regrets.

Feeling good on Post-Op day 4

I am actually amazed that I feel as well as I do. I think this may be a testament to Dr. Melmed as I have minimal soreness, no bruising and stopped pain meds on PO day 1, after he took out the drains. He told me I wouldn't even need Tylenol but could take it if I wanted. I haven't. I don't want to feel too good or else I might do too much. I had capsular contraction on the left and that left side and incision are probably the worst but it rarely bothers me. I know my photos don't look great (yet) but I think they will fluff up in time. They look pretty good in this Target (Champion $18.99) sports bra (recommended by another reviewer) so I'm content for now.

Anyway, my point is that the skill of your surgeon is important so if you are considering this, get someone who is either a great surgeon or has done thousands or both, like Dr. Melmed. My gynecologist practices at the same hospital and so I called her to see what her opinion was. She said he is an outstanding surgeon, physician and human being. I noticed that his hands were very gentle whenever he touched me (anywhere) and I think this is a good quality in a surgeon also.

2 week update

Ladies, I am posting these photos for those of you interested in my progress. So many brave women have gone before me and shared their personal experiences, so I feel obligated to continue to do so.

I must admit that I haven't been on the site since my last post. I have been trying to move forward with my life and let my body heal. Sitting on this site lets me wallow too much and focus on these particular body parts too much. I am lucky to have my health and a very supportive husband who somehow finds me attractive, even at this stage of healing. Anyway, I will continue to keep y'all posted and thanks for your encouragement and support.

PS: For those who have asked, I am in contact with Dr. Melmed and he has encouraged me to give it time. If I still have loose skin as a final outcome, he has said he will do an in-office procedure to remove it. I did not have an external lift as most with little tissue do not need one but he did do an internal lift and I think that's why (at this point) I have the smiley face wrinkle under my areola.
*I also found a marble sized lump under my armpit a few days ago and understand it is probably silicone since my left implant had ruptured. Both Dr. Melmed and my GYN have assured me that this is likely and not to worry yet about the lump being that I am only 2 weeks post-op and it may be silicone, debris or inflammation.

4 week update

Getting better slowly but surely! Especially the left.

8 weeks post-op

Still improving! This is a process ladies; be patient!!!!

7 and 1/2 month update

Ladies, I felt I owed it to you to update again! Loving my new more natural, athletic look. Still wish for more fluffing but I'm still that same skinny girl who wanted implants in the first place!

This bra is awesome and comes in nude, white, black and light pink. So comfortable and makes clothing look great.

My left side is still painful where the damn silicone implant had ruptured. Right side is fine. Still seeing improvement I think.

Glad I did it. So happy to be me again after all these years!

Meant to say: JOINT PAIN 99% GONE

One day I realized my joint pain after long rides in car etc., sitting at my desk, not doing yoga etc. is 99% gone! Coincidence? I think not!!
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Found his name here from other patients and have loved him so far.

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm just beginning to do research on explantation and appreciate the photos as well.
CantWaitToBeNatural, have you thought about trying progesterone cream? I have seen a few posts about others here using it with good results. Definitely consult your GYN and PS first. I plan to give it a try if I ever can get my damn implants removed. Feels like never.
I have seen some of the doctor's reviews on this site, other explants, and he seems to do a lift for others... why did he not do a lift for you?
He did do a lift for her -- an internal lift. Melmed doesn't typically (or ever) do any other kind, if I'm not mistaken. As I understand it, the lift has more to do with nipple positioning. Her nipples were in good (high) position before. CantWaitToBeNatural, we have similar cases (except I have my originals), body type, breasts & implant size. I suspect that my outcome would be similar. I wonder if the difference in the loose skin could be that your incision was done at breast fold rather than areola. You have lovely sized areola that weren't reduced. Mine are quite large (stretched), so I would think that it gives more opportunity to 'tighten' when the skin is excised to reduce the areola size. (My original incision was at areola.) I think that your breasts are lovely. And a bit of fat transfer there to smooth out the creases would probably be just right. But, alas, more dang money!
you're right, cjustice,.... I had missed that detail about the internal lift... anyhow, what is an "internal lift" ? rather, my real question is: what is this doctor's meaning of an internal lift---what did he actually do here? when some docs say "internal lift" they mean they use some wire like mesh internally.... is that what was done here???? anyways. I have seen other reviews of the same procedure by the same doctor, and he does nice benelli lifts with no scars.... i don't know what is meant here by "internal lift"
Well, actually you raise a good question that I too am seeking clarification on (especially from this surgeon). I have read PS Q&As that report sometimes an internal lift on a women with very little tissue can make the breasts look worse. And, I suppose that the Benelli, lollipop lift et al. would be considered external. This seems to be a pretty good explanation of lifts: http://www.rumercosmetics.com/breast-procedures-philadelphia/breast-lift/
thanks for the link, Cjustice :)))
I was wondering about the joint pain. I have silicone implants, S/P bilateral mastectomies and lat flap reconstruction. I am stiff if I sit more than about 30 minutes and fight IT band, hip pain all the time. I also suffer off and on with headaches. I have had these implants for 8-9 years and have often wondered if they could be the root cause of the pain. Interesting that yours has disappeared. I am planning on having mine taken out soon.
I bet silicone is the cause. I never dreamed it would be but the fact that it's gone is telling, I think! Get them out ASAP. Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck!!
Hi can you tell me what brand of bra that is pictured on 7/5/14. I'm having all sorts of issues trying to get one that fits and doesn't ride up. Thanks for all of your comments too. I'm at one month, making progress, and your notes have helped.
Yes, sorry! I meant to include that it's a bra made by jockey. Very comfortable!
You're looking great!! I'm just over 3 months since explant and really encouraged by your progress. Thanks for the updates
Thanks!!!
Wow, you look great! Thanks for posting your story.
Thanks! You look amazing by the way!
Thank you! :)
Thank you! :)
Thank you for your update. I am explanting next week and it is so good to see so many women that still feel happy with their explants months (and even years) down the road. I'm so scared and still am second guessing myself but stories like yours give me such hope. Thanks you! Happy healing!
Good luck and just be patient. You'll be happy I bet!
Just checking in on you. Hope all is well?! :-x
Thank you ladies for your comments. After more research, (how did we ever live w/o Google?) I agree that I need a p.s. I guess the first hurdle is finding one that takes Medicare, at least explants are covered by Medicare. You all have helped SO much! After 40 years of rocks on my chest, I am forward looking now instead of afraid of the unknown!
sooooo glad I stumbled onto this site. Thank you, Dallas! Your courage is inspiring to this oldie. age 65, 1st implants at 25, 2nd round in the late 80s, last mammo showed leakage and been having pain on left side. appt. next week to discuss explant w/local doc. not a plastic surgeon, only does removal. anything more that what Medicare pays is out for my situation, do I need a plastic surgeon or ?? Also thinking about right after surgery, taking off to the desert to heal for a couple weeks or so. am I being realistic? also big moving event in about a month? considering all, should I wait or go for it? thanks!