Explant Complete! - Dallas, TX

This blog is the reason I am doing this tomorrow!...

This blog is the reason I am doing this tomorrow! Thankful for all who have gone before me and shared their experiences. Same story as many: skinny girl with flat chest, silicone implants (300cc) over the muscle in 12/88 (I was 18!), replaced in 12/00 to go down to a 225cc, stayed with silicone (wanted 200cc but they "weren't in stock"). Have miraculously nursed 2 babies in 2003 and 2005 but always had trouble with the left one, clogged milk duct. Several years later discovered a rupture at mammogram, intracapsular so I was told "it's no big deal."

Today, I can't lay on my left side and my left breast is pretty hard. Recently have been getting numbness and tingling in my hands and feet and joint pain. Weird since I'm only 43. Hoping to resolve some of this with this explant and become healthier..... Will be hard not to do yoga and exercise for however long!

Surgery went well, sore already, particularly left side

Happy to have this part over! Everyone was very professional and nice at the Ambulatory Care Center and I don't remember much except waking up in recovery. Bandage is very tight but it doesn't bother me. Throat sore from tube but again not a big deal. I'm actually amazed that I feel as well as I do. In fact, my husband took me across the street the Boston Market and ate soup and cornbread. As you can see in the pic, I am truly flat as a pancake although yes anything there is smooshed down. Dr. Melmed did say that I have "very little tissue." Soooo, have to get used to that. No regrets though!

Post-Op Day 2

Well I feel pretty good but the girls look pretty sad today. Not that I could blame them with 25 years of abuse by silicone. There is quite a lot of wrinkled skin that my body will hopefully be able to fill in time. I'm optimistic only because of those of you who have gone before me and had similar concerns. Thank you!!
Drains came out yesterday and this was quite painful but my time of the month came today so I think that's part of my ultra-sensitivity. Dr. Melmed was very sweet and apologetic that it hurt me. (I actually cried and have had 2 c-sections, one bladder injury and nursed 2 babies. I don't recall ever crying during those times.) I did appreciate his kind words though. He and his staff have been great to deal with. I will be sad for the explanting community when he retires although there is no mention of his doing so.
I just had a shower and that was great. Back in my Walmart bra and PJ top! The inactivity is hard..... Really need my yoga class for my hips and back due to the tightness. Oh well, gonna try and do some stretches and read a book. Just glad to have them OUT! Still no regrets.

Feeling good on Post-Op day 4

I am actually amazed that I feel as well as I do. I think this may be a testament to Dr. Melmed as I have minimal soreness, no bruising and stopped pain meds on PO day 1, after he took out the drains. He told me I wouldn't even need Tylenol but could take it if I wanted. I haven't. I don't want to feel too good or else I might do too much. I had capsular contraction on the left and that left side and incision are probably the worst but it rarely bothers me. I know my photos don't look great (yet) but I think they will fluff up in time. They look pretty good in this Target (Champion $18.99) sports bra (recommended by another reviewer) so I'm content for now.

Anyway, my point is that the skill of your surgeon is important so if you are considering this, get someone who is either a great surgeon or has done thousands or both, like Dr. Melmed. My gynecologist practices at the same hospital and so I called her to see what her opinion was. She said he is an outstanding surgeon, physician and human being. I noticed that his hands were very gentle whenever he touched me (anywhere) and I think this is a good quality in a surgeon also.

2 week update

Ladies, I am posting these photos for those of you interested in my progress. So many brave women have gone before me and shared their personal experiences, so I feel obligated to continue to do so.

I must admit that I haven't been on the site since my last post. I have been trying to move forward with my life and let my body heal. Sitting on this site lets me wallow too much and focus on these particular body parts too much. I am lucky to have my health and a very supportive husband who somehow finds me attractive, even at this stage of healing. Anyway, I will continue to keep y'all posted and thanks for your encouragement and support.

PS: For those who have asked, I am in contact with Dr. Melmed and he has encouraged me to give it time. If I still have loose skin as a final outcome, he has said he will do an in-office procedure to remove it. I did not have an external lift as most with little tissue do not need one but he did do an internal lift and I think that's why (at this point) I have the smiley face wrinkle under my areola.
*I also found a marble sized lump under my armpit a few days ago and understand it is probably silicone since my left implant had ruptured. Both Dr. Melmed and my GYN have assured me that this is likely and not to worry yet about the lump being that I am only 2 weeks post-op and it may be silicone, debris or inflammation.

4 week update

Getting better slowly but surely! Especially the left.

8 weeks post-op

Still improving! This is a process ladies; be patient!!!!
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Found his name here from other patients and have loved him so far.

Just checking in on you. Hope all is well?! :-x
Thank you ladies for your comments. After more research, (how did we ever live w/o Google?) I agree that I need a p.s. I guess the first hurdle is finding one that takes Medicare, at least explants are covered by Medicare. You all have helped SO much! After 40 years of rocks on my chest, I am forward looking now instead of afraid of the unknown!
sooooo glad I stumbled onto this site. Thank you, Dallas! Your courage is inspiring to this oldie. age 65, 1st implants at 25, 2nd round in the late 80s, last mammo showed leakage and been having pain on left side. appt. next week to discuss explant w/local doc. not a plastic surgeon, only does removal. anything more that what Medicare pays is out for my situation, do I need a plastic surgeon or ?? Also thinking about right after surgery, taking off to the desert to heal for a couple weeks or so. am I being realistic? also big moving event in about a month? considering all, should I wait or go for it? thanks!
Go for it. We moved about two weeks after my surgery. Just try not to overdo it!!!
I just had my implants removed 5 weeks ago. I am also over 60. My removal surgery was a breeze and I was back on the tennis court and gym on week 4. No pain and feeling great. Wish I had done it sooner. I think moving would be ok, but I would wait a month for heavy lifting. Has your doctor done other implant removals? Sounds a little scary not to consult with a PS especially if you have some leakage. I would consult also with a PS too. Best of luck, you will be SO happy once they are out.
Have you phoned Dr. Melmed's office? He does take several forms of insurance -- the only PS to do so, it seems. (Don't recall specifically about Medicaid.)
Altho I'm a Texas girl at heart (San Antone) ;), I live in western Colorado now. Got 2 names today that work in Aspen/Rifle hospital areas. I think my Medicare & AARP supplement should cover the explant, need to find out about "cleaning out calcification" plan. Sure I must have plenty. Thanks for the reassurance! Haven't worn a bra in 40 years, that will be the hardest part getting used to! LOL
I am sixty and had my silicone implants 27 years. Left one was ruptured and leaking and was hard and moving up my chest. Right one about to blow. I had them out enbloc so the silicone and "eggshells" were kept in the capsule as he removed them.. I am very glad I did it.
Really appreciate you sharing your story. I have been talking this week with Dr. M/office about explantation. My implant details -- size/life/condition -- are similar to your own; although I have had the same silicone implants for 20+ years. From photos, Dr. M. also described me as having "very little tissue", so I now see what that description looks like. (Before BA, I was probably a 34A at best, now maybe 34B. My implants are only 210cc and 230cc -- as you noted, they don't even make them that small anymore!) I doubt that I will be able to afford the lift too, so I considered that my outcome would be similar to yours. I was surprised to see you mention that he did a lift on you. He noted to me that doing periareolar incision gave him better access for internal lift. So, perhpapa he did not do a lift on you. ??? If so, you have something to consider later, should you want. (Perhaps he was referring to Belinni - areola skin lift -- for in-office procedure.) Question: Did he remove your implants en bloc? What was the condition? Heavily scarred? Calcified? I can't imagine heavily scarred and possibly calcified implants being remove periareolar. Regarding the cost: this is cost (actually a bit less) that I was quoted, within last couple weeks, for WITHOUT a lift.
Really appreciate you sharing your story. I have been talking with Dr. M/office about explantation. My implant details -- size/life -- are similar to your own; although I have had the same silicone implants for 20+ years. From photos, Dr. M. also described me as having "very little tissue", so I now see what that description looks like. (Before BA, I was probably a 34A at best, now maybe 34B. My implants are only 210cc and 230cc -- as you noted, they don't even make them that small anymore!) I doubt that I will be able to afford the lift too, so I considered that my outcome would be similar to yours. I was surprised to see you mention that he did a lift on you. He noted to me that doing periareolar incision gave him better access for internal lift. So, quite possible that he did not do a lift on you. ??? If so, you have something to consider later, should you want. (Perhaps he was referring to Belinni - areola skin lift -- for in-office procedure.) Question: Did he remove your implants en bloc? What was the condition? Heavily scarred? Calcified? I can't imagine heavily scarred and possibly calcified implants being remove periareolar. Regarding the cost: this is cost (actually a bit less) that I was quoted, within last couple weeks, for WITHOUT a lift.
Moderator: Sorry for the double post, if you could remove. I didn't see the post after I signed in.
Wow you are coming along nicely. Like you said be patient & it will all work out for the best. Much better than having those implants. Congrats again!
Thank you for your update! You can see that your are changing!
you are an excellent example of how the "deflated" look on day 1 WILL GO AWAY IN TIME!
Thinking of you and hoping everything is turning out just as you want it too.

They are definitely changing! Thanks for your awesome updates.

Fluff fairy fluff :)
Comparing your pictures I can see that the skin is retracting. I think it will turn out great.
thank you for posting. i know it's hard. but you're right--there are several women who had your immediate outcome and look awesome now!
your experience and results give me hope and courage, thank you for sharing. just be patience your skin looks goods it just need time, im getting my surgery in a week and i hope i get such wonderful results. good wishes and happy healing.
You are sweet. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)
In the mean time keep doing what your doing. Keeping reaching out To us, that is what we are ALL here for!!!!!!! Xo
I know your probably tired of hearing this by now, but give it time! It would also help you to wear as tight as a sports bra as you can, for at least a month. Maybe reach out to Flora34 to see what she did differently if anything. See how she handeled it Emotionally as Well.
You will fluff within a month.x