Explant Complete! - Dallas, TX

This blog is the reason I am doing this tomorrow!...

This blog is the reason I am doing this tomorrow! Thankful for all who have gone before me and shared their experiences. Same story as many: skinny girl with flat chest, silicone implants (300cc) over the muscle in 12/88 (I was 18!), replaced in 12/00 to go down to a 225cc, stayed with silicone (wanted 200cc but they "weren't in stock"). Have miraculously nursed 2 babies in 2003 and 2005 but always had trouble with the left one, clogged milk duct. Several years later discovered a rupture at mammogram, intracapsular so I was told "it's no big deal."

Today, I can't lay on my left side and my left breast is pretty hard. Recently have been getting numbness and tingling in my hands and feet and joint pain. Weird since I'm only 43. Hoping to resolve some of this with this explant and become healthier..... Will be hard not to do yoga and exercise for however long!

I hope the explant went well. Keep us posted and I'm praying that some of your health issues resolve over time. I also had weird numbness of hands and feet. It's too early to say if it's totally gone since I would get it periodically, but I do feel better. Take care and happy healing!

Surgery went well, sore already, particularly left side

Happy to have this part over! Everyone was very professional and nice at the Ambulatory Care Center and I don't remember much except waking up in recovery. Bandage is very tight but it doesn't bother me. Throat sore from tube but again not a big deal. I'm actually amazed that I feel as well as I do. In fact, my husband took me across the street the Boston Market and ate soup and cornbread. As you can see in the pic, I am truly flat as a pancake although yes anything there is smooshed down. Dr. Melmed did say that I have "very little tissue." Soooo, have to get used to that. No regrets though!

Congrats!!!! Your going to be soooo happy! I am & I'm 11 days post op. This feeling is amazimg! U can't believe I tourchered myself for so any yrs. I feel like I have a new lease on life & so many things to accomplish, like tons of new clothes shopping...lol. But seriously working out, outdoor activies, were impossible with these things!
Congratulations.. I am 2 weeks post op. So happy to be implant free!! Wishing you a speedy recovery :)
Hope you are doing ok after your surgery. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Please keep us posted on your progress. I am scheduled for Dec 18, anxious but I can't wait for it to be over!

Post-Op Day 2

Well I feel pretty good but the girls look pretty sad today. Not that I could blame them with 25 years of abuse by silicone. There is quite a lot of wrinkled skin that my body will hopefully be able to fill in time. I'm optimistic only because of those of you who have gone before me and had similar concerns. Thank you!!
Drains came out yesterday and this was quite painful but my time of the month came today so I think that's part of my ultra-sensitivity. Dr. Melmed was very sweet and apologetic that it hurt me. (I actually cried and have had 2 c-sections, one bladder injury and nursed 2 babies. I don't recall ever crying during those times.) I did appreciate his kind words though. He and his staff have been great to deal with. I will be sad for the explanting community when he retires although there is no mention of his doing so.
I just had a shower and that was great. Back in my Walmart bra and PJ top! The inactivity is hard..... Really need my yoga class for my hips and back due to the tightness. Oh well, gonna try and do some stretches and read a book. Just glad to have them OUT! Still no regrets.

Wow! Well done! You are natural! Now it is healing time for you.... Just give your body time to recover.... I am on in January 2014 to have my explant done... Take care!
Dr. Melmed removed mine 11 weeks ago and I am so very happy I did this for myself. I was under the impression that he always removes them through the nipple and does the internal lift through the same place, but I noticed he did yours differently. I am sure he had a good reason, and he is a wonderful doctor. He gave me better boobs than I had when I was 20, and they are natural. People think I got smaller implants, but he doesn't even do them anymore. You will be happy; just give it time. Getting into a regular bra after three or four weeks helps a lot, so you have to be patient. I got really tired of that sports bra! Best of luck to you!
Thanks for the support! Yours look great! I agree; Melmed is great. I think he prefers to do them through the nipple but I asked him on the morning of surgery about it and he agreed to use my old scar, infra-mammary. I told him I would defer to him if he really thought doing it the other way was best but he was fine with it. He said afterwards that it's harder to do it that way and I "made him work." :)

Feeling good on Post-Op day 4

I am actually amazed that I feel as well as I do. I think this may be a testament to Dr. Melmed as I have minimal soreness, no bruising and stopped pain meds on PO day 1, after he took out the drains. He told me I wouldn't even need Tylenol but could take it if I wanted. I haven't. I don't want to feel too good or else I might do too much. I had capsular contraction on the left and that left side and incision are probably the worst but it rarely bothers me. I know my photos don't look great (yet) but I think they will fluff up in time. They look pretty good in this Target (Champion $18.99) sports bra (recommended by another reviewer) so I'm content for now.

Anyway, my point is that the skill of your surgeon is important so if you are considering this, get someone who is either a great surgeon or has done thousands or both, like Dr. Melmed. My gynecologist practices at the same hospital and so I called her to see what her opinion was. She said he is an outstanding surgeon, physician and human being. I noticed that his hands were very gentle whenever he touched me (anywhere) and I think this is a good quality in a surgeon also.

your experience and results give me hope and courage, thank you for sharing. just be patience your skin looks goods it just need time, im getting my surgery in a week and i hope i get such wonderful results. good wishes and happy healing.
In the mean time keep doing what your doing. Keeping reaching out To us, that is what we are ALL here for!!!!!!! Xo
I know your probably tired of hearing this by now, but give it time! It would also help you to wear as tight as a sports bra as you can, for at least a month. Maybe reach out to Flora34 to see what she did differently if anything. See how she handeled it Emotionally as Well.

2 week update

Ladies, I am posting these photos for those of you interested in my progress. So many brave women have gone before me and shared their personal experiences, so I feel obligated to continue to do so.

I must admit that I haven't been on the site since my last post. I have been trying to move forward with my life and let my body heal. Sitting on this site lets me wallow too much and focus on these particular body parts too much. I am lucky to have my health and a very supportive husband who somehow finds me attractive, even at this stage of healing. Anyway, I will continue to keep y'all posted and thanks for your encouragement and support.

PS: For those who have asked, I am in contact with Dr. Melmed and he has encouraged me to give it time. If I still have loose skin as a final outcome, he has said he will do an in-office procedure to remove it. I did not have an external lift as most with little tissue do not need one but he did do an internal lift and I think that's why (at this point) I have the smiley face wrinkle under my areola.
*I also found a marble sized lump under my armpit a few days ago and understand it is probably silicone since my left implant had ruptured. Both Dr. Melmed and my GYN have assured me that this is likely and not to worry yet about the lump being that I am only 2 weeks post-op and it may be silicone, debris or inflammation.

Fluff fairy fluff :)
Comparing your pictures I can see that the skin is retracting. I think it will turn out great.
thank you for posting. i know it's hard. but you're right--there are several women who had your immediate outcome and look awesome now!

4 week update

Getting better slowly but surely! Especially the left.

Thinking of you and hoping everything is turning out just as you want it too.

They are definitely changing! Thanks for your awesome updates.

Im wrinkly;) yours look great()()

8 weeks post-op

Still improving! This is a process ladies; be patient!!!!

Just checking in on you. Hope all is well?! :-x
Thank you ladies for your comments. After more research, (how did we ever live w/o Google?) I agree that I need a p.s. I guess the first hurdle is finding one that takes Medicare, at least explants are covered by Medicare. You all have helped SO much! After 40 years of rocks on my chest, I am forward looking now instead of afraid of the unknown!
sooooo glad I stumbled onto this site. Thank you, Dallas! Your courage is inspiring to this oldie. age 65, 1st implants at 25, 2nd round in the late 80s, last mammo showed leakage and been having pain on left side. appt. next week to discuss explant w/local doc. not a plastic surgeon, only does removal. anything more that what Medicare pays is out for my situation, do I need a plastic surgeon or ?? Also thinking about right after surgery, taking off to the desert to heal for a couple weeks or so. am I being realistic? also big moving event in about a month? considering all, should I wait or go for it? thanks!

7 and 1/2 month update

Ladies, I felt I owed it to you to update again! Loving my new more natural, athletic look. Still wish for more fluffing but I'm still that same skinny girl who wanted implants in the first place!

This bra is awesome and comes in nude, white, black and light pink. So comfortable and makes clothing look great.

My left side is still painful where the damn silicone implant had ruptured. Right side is fine. Still seeing improvement I think.

Glad I did it. So happy to be me again after all these years!

Please join RealSelf or sign in.

Meant to say: JOINT PAIN 99% GONE

One day I realized my joint pain after long rides in car etc., sitting at my desk, not doing yoga etc. is 99% gone! Coincidence? I think not!!

Thank you for sharing. I am now firm on my decision not to go with implants. Now I just need to search for a doctor to perform a lift. Luv u bunches for your story. Very encouraging!
Dr. Edward Melmed, Dallas, TX, is the man to see!
He did mine 13 months ago, and I couldn't be happier. Don't get implants. I love my natural breasts, and my implants were huge. I have no sagging whatsoever, and mine are pretty much like they were before implants, and I've had three children, including twins!
Dallas Plastic Surgeon

Found his name here from other patients and have loved him so far.