IPL Photofacial Treatment Burned My Face/Neck - Texas

Had IPL treatment 11/18/11 (purchased thru...

Had IPL treatment 11/18/11 (purchased thru Groupon). Terrible burns about 1 inch long all over face and neck. One month later 95% gone on face, but the ones on neck are still there. Be very careful when considering this treatment.

I had IPL treatment 05/30/2013( purchased thru living social ). terrible burns all over face. It's been 3days but I'm so scared what my face is going to look like in the future. After treatment the next day I went to a dermatologist. She agreed they totally botched the procedure. And she said it mat take a year or more for the damage to heal. Now, I'm at home scared to go outside see sun and people.

With such negative reviews, is there any reason to take advantage of a groupon offer to have this done? Do any of the practitioners mention the possible downsides?

katieo0, you might find this information helpful:

5 Tips for Evaluating Group-Coupon Deals

Hope your burns have gotten better- I had no idea you could get such harsh results from the IPL. Everyone always seems to rave about how great they work and I was looking forward to trying it for my acne scars. Did you go back to the derm and ask what the heck happened and is it common? Also, how did you treat your remaining burn marks?
If you are prone to keloids, hyper or hypo pigmentation, are dark-skinned, darkly tanned or do not react well to burns you may not be an ideal candidate for High Pulsed Light Therapy. Also, if you have ethnicity (like Greek, Italian or African American, etc.) in your biological family, you may be prone to hyper or hypo pigmentation resulting from the procedure. An ideal patient would be of white European descent with elastic, non-oily skin. Although many other types of skin are treated successfully. Only a qualified doctor or dermatologist can determine if you are eligible for treatment.

Wentilpen - Would a test on the face and neck prevented this? why didn't they test first? When did you realize this was not normal... or in other words how much time lapse after a test would have shown this was not going to be successful?

Bless your strength! I wish you a full 100% recovery.

Where did you have this done (day spa or dermatologist office)...and what machine did they use? It just seems like this is a botched job by an untrained person or trained but using faulty equipment.
By a board certified dermatologist whose practice is virtually all cosmetic patients. I don't know the machine brand but I suspect it was the machine as I know several of the doc's other clients that have had great results.
I had this procedure done at a spa and am not sure of the exact machine used.
Same thing happened to me but my face looked like your neck. Two months later I still have large red streaks on both checks. I've done micro derm and thermage and had good results with both. Who knew this one would be such a painful and disfiguring disaster
Wentilpen - I'm sorry this happend to you as well. I am at least able to hide my neck with turtle necks and scarfs. I can't imagine what you are having to go thru. Have you healed completely by now? How long did it take for the track marks to go away?
I'm sorry this happened to you. It's happened to a lot of people, so just know that you're not the only one. Thank you for posting your outcome, it helps others make an informed decision!