I had sagging neck and jowls. - Don't Do It - Dallas, TX

I had sagging neck and jowls. I went to a...

I had sagging neck and jowls. I went to a Lifestyle clinic and didn't know the doctor. I met him twice. First time was for him to evaluate whether I was a good candidate. The next time I saw him was the day of the surgery. The surgery was painful and other than the shots, I was given some Valium which was supposed to put me to sleep, but it didn't. I was wrapped up and sent home. A few days later, an aide came to my house to remove the bandages and stitches. She rewrapped my face and left me with some instructions. My face looked good while it was swollen and I was quite pleased. However, when the swelling went down, I could tell no difference other than I had these longer, deeper wrinkles from my eyes to where the stitches ended at my hairline. No one ever called to check on me, no one scheduled another visit for the doctor to check his work, nor was I given an "after" photo.

This clinic was nothing but a cattle mill, where they herd you in to operate on you and send you out the back door. One of the doctors was from Duncanville who has his own dermatology office, so I was comfortable with using this clinic.

Also notice that many of their customers have had additional elective work (eye lift, forehead lift, etc.) so of course they're going to look much better.

If you plan on doing the Lifestyle lift make sure you go to a doctor you know who does the Lifestyle lift. I thought I had done my research, but it was a disaster. I don't look any worse, but I certainly don't look thousands of dollars better.

If I was wanting cosmetic work, I'd spend a few thousand extra dollars and go for a full face lift.  The Lifestyle Lift is a waste of money and takes about 3 weeks to completely heal.  No aount of makeup is going to cover those bruises.

After reading the reviews on this site and 151 reviews on another my limited recommendation is stay away from these places. My experience: 56yo healthy fe and had a facelift (neck/jowls), liposuction of neck and upper/lower lids done and overnight stay in output surgery center all for $12,500. Was done by board certified plastic surgeon w/ MD Anesthesiologist to admin gen anesthesia. No N/V post op. RN removed my 2 drains and drsg after surgeon called in early am for a report on me. Then she saw me before I left the surgery center. I had a post op visit day 5 for suture removal around my eyes and day 8 for staple removal. Surgeon saw me at both visits! And have another one with her scheduled on day 14 and then 1 month and 2 month, 3 month and 6 month. All including surgeon! No complications yet and don't anticipate any. All staff very professional and kind. Tell me to call everytime I am in if I need to see the surgeon earlier. Why would anyone do these procedures under local anesthesia (lidocaine simply injected) with very minor oral sedation! A little Xanax or Valium! These "procedures" are MAJOR SURGERY!! I know because I am a nurse practitioner and have worked in the OR, PACU and ICU in my RN AND NP career. THERE ARE A LOT OF QUACK DOCTORS OUT THERE! And general anesthesia is very safe when administered correctly! Only allow a board certified MD IN plastic surgery near you when having plastic surgery done....please!!
I don't see much difference in the two pics. I think when people get a lift and don't REALLY need it yet, they are too critical to begin with. Consequently, they are never happy. You look great in BOTH pics, and because of that probably did waste money.
We definitely should have seen major improvement after! You can see the jowls and wrinkles in her neck in the before px.and she looks better in the before px. I feel so sorry for her. So many MDs (and others) out there making the fast $$!
I was reading this post because a friend of a friend wants a LifeStyle Lift (LSL) and I told her to get at least one or two other consultations. Scrolling down I see an LSL M.D. responding and promoting the LSL. That's kind of weird. I thought RealSelf didn't allow that.
cbaker, doctors are allowed to respond to reviews as long as they follow community guidelines while doing so.
I had my LSL and under eyes done in 2013. I have had many complements. I had to go back to get my eyes evened-out and the wrinkles removed from my one ear (at no cost to me). The procedure did not hurt and the office called me that night. Procedure was done in TROY, Mi. The cost $7000.00 and no other problems. Do make sure that the doctor has been with the company for more then one year, and go back for consultations as many times as necessary before you have the doctor work on you to make you more comfortable with the procedure and Doctor. IT'S YOUR MONEY and if they don't want to make the time for you, don't do it. I hope this will help someone decide to go or not.
I personally went to the Lifestyle Lift Center in Beverly Hills and observed Dr Malcolm Paul for the day. I have been an operating room nurse for almost 20 years. ALL of the cases I watched were beautifully done, patients were comfortable, and had great work done.
I don't believe for one second that an "aide came to her house to remove the bandages and stiches." That service was not offered to me and I'm sure it is not offered to anyone else! I can't even imagine! How many of you have had any doctor, of any kind, or their nurse or assistant for that matter, come to your house to do anything?...unless you live in 1950!!! I believe she's making up all that B.S.! She just wants her money back and is trying to document stuff that didn't really happen. The doctor took his time to respond to all her BS and did it quite eloquently I thought. He also said that is not a practice of LSL and if they did that, it must have been some sort of emergency. I can't even imagine it if it was an emergency! How many times have you called your doctor and the recording says, "If this is a medical emergency, call 911"??? She also says she doesn't even know who her doctor was. That's also BS. I guarantee you if you go to the trouble to go through all the steps to have this done, YOU KNOW WHO YOUR DOCTOR IS! If you don't, you're an idiot!! None of the office staff, including techs or nurses, give you any information on the surgery itself, EXCEPT THE DOCTOR!! Quit believing these people's BS!!
Well, just to answer your question: A nurse came to my house to check on me and my baby after I gave birth (in a hospital) in 2011. Obviously not everyone gets home-checks these days after surgery or giving birth, but it does happen.
I had my lifestyle lift in January 2013 in Dallas. My Doctor was Dr. Standefer. I can't tell you how HAPPY I am with the results. It did take a while but the nerve endings have come back to the surgery incisions. The scar under my chin has virtually disappeared. I highly recommend Dr. Standefer to do your lifestyle lift in Dallas.
This response is to "Dr H". I just came from the Dallas office today. I have been doing more research tonight because my consultant did not even discuss the procedures. She ONLY discussed money and financing. Your attitude on this site is disturbing. Your defiance and flip attitude are outrageous. YOU are enough to turn me off of the entire clinic. If you were a true professional you would not be doing this "tit for tat" scenario with so many jabs at former clients. You don't do LSL, or yourself, any services. I'm out.
I haven't even read this entire thread because the first post is such BS. I had a LSL 6 months ago and actually had Dr. Himmelheber as my doctor and I couldn't be more pleased. He couldn't have been more professional and couldn't have answered my questions any more thoroughly than he did, and I ask a lot of questions...just ask my friends! I even called him numerous times before and after (he had provided his personal cell phone number) and he called me back promptly and spoke with me for quite some time on several occasions. I am very pleased with the results. I will be happy to post pictures if someone would like to see them, although I do not have them with me today. The comment about the person coming to your house and removing sutures is ridiculous. That was not even an option that was offered. The only option was to go to the office and have the sutures removed. I guarantee you if you had bothered to call Dr. Himmelheber about any of your concerns, he would have been more than happy to discuss them with you and even have a consultation with you to address them. I think all you want is your money back for a procedure (that looks to me worked pretty darn well). And as far as the nurses that work in the Dallas office (I cannot attest to other offices since I did not go there), the nurse that I spoke with before my procedure said she had been an OR nurse for 30 years prior to going to LSL and she assured me that everything they do is within the guidelines of an OR. And as far as the doctor from Duncanville that is a dermatologist, that is just not true. There is a doctor there that formerly had an ENT practice in Duncanville but no longer practices there and is at LSL full time now. An ENT is a head/neck surgeon. My husband actually had his procedure done by that doctor and it turned out fantastic.
I'm getting at that age that I need to start checking my options, I look at your before and after picture and think you look really good. Some comments are not positive at all, but the Dr. made a pretty good case. With that said, I will consider LSL for future options.
Im so sorry if I'm missing something in your post.....I also had the LSF 10 years ago...and to this day everyone is shocked to discover my age, I do not have to tell them, I'm about to find a Dr, in Cali. that was a good as the one I had in Dallas Texas.........or someone that can do as good a job on me as they did you, maybe....just maybe, because I do not know you.....your one of those people that complain no matter how good the house,car,cleaning,or ANY facelift is: its never enough ..and honey if this is the picture of your before and after.....sweetie you owe the Dr,s and apology because you look wonderful..
Jamie - who was your Dr in Dallas Texas?
I am an EMT in Pa. and we have standards that we must follow and we have extensive training, and regardless of what a medical command doctor tells us, if it's not within the scope of our skill training we can't nor would we do it. I spoke with a surgeon and per his statement, MA;s nor aide may remove stuctors. Maybe you are willing to put a pt's well being at risk, maybe you need to reconsider another line of work. Maybe you should practice law, because it sounds like you are trying real hard to hide the facts or at least cover them up.
Thank you mommysmom for SAYING IT!!!!
Well thats too bad Dr. that we wont be able to prove you wrong anymore. Like I said in earlier post I WORKED FOR LSL. I know how LSL works, I have met Dr.K when they opened my local LSL, I have been a ST for 7 years and I work in acute and freestanding facilites. Just answer me this, sine you wont answer about creditation, why does LSL preform a surgical procedure, in a non-surgical site, in buildings made for offices.It is recomended that when any incision made to the skin should have a - gram pressure room to lower the risk of infection. What about AORN standards,LSL does not follow, Where does all the cautry smoke go on a HEP-C patient, The LSL I worked with the Dr. (does not deserve to be called surgeon)would change out his gloves 5-6 times during procedure, there was not surgical scrub prior to case, just hand sanitizer, I bet you dont even wear a gown, just 4 towels around face with chair exposed. You want to walk away now cause you have NO defense against the TRUTH. and I would love to shut LSL down, so if any of your Pt. want expert testomany in San Ramon, contact me.
Girl, you make too much sense!!!!!!!!! That Dr. obviously is trying to defend something, but as far as I'm concerned everything he said only proves our point the the n'th degree. I'm telling you, for some reason the "happy" ones just won't admit the truth... that it's dangerously done WRONG!!!They're lucky they didn't get hurt. And obviously all we can hope for is to get laws changed in the states where they are allowed to operate, false advertising, all indefensable!
They sound so unethical!!
Dear Jane1970,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. I still think that my previous post should be my final one, but I'm having a hard time letting pass the sheer magnitude of disinformation that continues to circulate (previously by 2trusting and Uh huuH, and now by you.) It will be really time-consuming for me to dispel every falsehood that you posted, so I'll just cover the big ones.

1) Most people don't know what an Otolaryngologist (also known as an ENT or a Head and Neck Surgeon) is trained, qualified, and able to do. An unbiased source of info is the website of the American Board of Otolaryngology (www.aboto.org) Click under "What is an Otolaryngologist?" There is a reasonably comprehensive list of what I am trained to do. Please note item number two on the list. While I am still capable of doing anything on that list, I have specialized my practice in facial plastic surgery. Meaning, that is all that I do. As I'm sure you are aware, to be a "specialist" does not require some person or entity to declare you one. One simply has to specialize. We could talk about the relative merits of fellowship training in plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, cosmetic surgery, etc., but as that is a longstanding controversy, and a lot of doctors' opinions depend on upon which side of the fence they stand, I'd rather do that sort of thing "live" rather than try to type out what would be a sizeable book. Maybe another time?

2) To my knowledge, this was never my patient. (She has remained anonymous, but I don't recognize anything about her.) I can only speak to what would be reasonable assumptions based on the info she provided. We, at Lifestyle Lift, don't routinely make house calls. If a medical technician or nurse went to her house, they would have been sent there by the surgeon with specific instructions on what to do. That is what is meant by "under the direction." For any surgeon to sit in a car outside of the patient's home is silly. I can only assume you were trying to be funny with that comment.

3) You had me going for a minute there with the stuff about Texas Medical Board rules. But after a quick search of the Texas Occupations Code (http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/OC/htm/OC.157.htm), specifically Sec. 157.001. GENERAL AUTHORITY OF PHYSICIAN TO DELEGATE, and a review of the Texas Medical Board Rules, (a complete set can be downloaded from http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/rules/rules/bdrules.php) I was able to confirm that much of what you said is false.

Specifically, "A physician may delegate to a qualified and properly trained person... any medical act that a reasonable and prudent physician would find within the scope of sound medical judgment to delegate...."

Also, "A physician may delegate to any qualified and properly trained person acting under the physician's supervision the act of administering or providing dangerous drugs in the physician's office, that are used or required to meet the immediate needs of the physician's patients."

Those are quotes from Texas law. The Texas Medical Board makes clarifications to those laws, but none of those clarifications restrict an unlicensed medical technician who is qualified and properly trained from a) administering medications, b) placing or removing sutures, or c) assisting in surgical procedures, all under the direction of a licensed physician. Logically, the next question would be whether our medical techs are qualified and properly trained. You are welcome to inquire directly to Lifestyle Lift corporate headquarters, or the Dallas office of Lifestyle Lift, where I work, regarding this question. They can provide you, or anyone else reading this, with the specific qualifications, training, and certifications of our medical techs. The short answer is yes, they are qualified and properly trained.

I did not specifically address the questions of “administering contrast dyes or injections of any kind,” “taking x-rays or independently positioning patients for x-rays,” or “applying casts” because I don’t know about those. And, these are outside of my direct experience, our medical techs do not do any of those things in the routine function of our Lifestyle Lift office, and I do not feel like looking up the particular Texas statutes and rules regarding irrelevant things that have nothing to do with this. The one seed of truth in what you said to which I can attest is that a physician cannot delegate to an unlicensed person the act of triage, which entails medical decision-making. And, no, our medical techs are not allowed to triage or make medical decisions. They do what the physicians direct them to do. Like taking out sutures. If they try to overstep that, they are disciplined appropriately, and terminated, if necessary.

I think that covers everything of importance. This long treatise was produced in my free time, with no compensation or likelihood of reward. You might notice that few physicians try to wade into this kind of quagmire, and the replies to this that will surely follow are a good demonstration of why. I can guarantee that none of the three aforementioned contributors will reply anything that resembles, “Thank you for going to so much time and effort to set the record straight about things that are so little understood by the general public.” At least, not without following it with yet another volley of negative comments. Without some sort of referee, postings on discussion boards rarely, if ever, reach any sort of conclusion. Usually they break down to “Yes it is! – No it isn’t!” posts that go nowhere.

I would like to point out that I have provided specific links to creditable sources that any reader is welcome to check out. Nowadays, anyone can make libelous statements anonymously online. It is the equivalent of graffiti. On the other hand, I haven’t kept my identity secret, and I haven’t made unsubstantiated claims. Anyone that wants to actually talk to me can look up how to reach me on Realself.com.

Suffice it to say that this IS my last posting here. Good night.
I wouldn't trust you doing plastic surgery on my dogs! You need to stick to ENT procedures with a few minor non elective plastics thrown in. Maybe ok w trauma? Not appropriate for elective plastic surgery on the face.
Thank you Jane this is what LSL practices on a regular basis. MA "assisting giving pt. there valum prior to procedures and surgical techs during procedures.
Dear Dr. H-

As pointed out by another member and in your Real Self bio, you are only board certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology, so you are an ENT and not a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon. It also appears that most of the Lifestyle Lift doctors are ENTs and I don't know why you are allowed to do facelifts...or even able to post as a plastic surgeon on this site..?

With regard to the unlicensed aide removing this patient's sutures at their house, you said this was done "under the direction" of a doctor. So were you in your car out-front or in the patient's garage (ie- on site) when you directed an unlicensed person to remove this patient's sutures?

According to the Texas Medical Board, "permitting, aiding or abetting an unlicensed person to perform activities requiring a license" constitutes unprofessional conduct.

Tasks that cannot be performed by medical assistants or unlicensed persons include:

* triage,
* administering medications through any route,
* administering contrast dyes or injections of any kind,
* placing or removing sutures,
* taking x-rays or independently positioning patients for x-rays,
* applying casts,
* first assisting in surgical procedures.

So you are admitting guilt related to the 4th one - how many others?
I have no knowledge of LSL, was just curious, but after reading Dr. H's posts, I would not go within a mile of the place. This physician's comments to former patients are unprofessional and out of line and just plain rude. His scolding of a former unsatisfied patient is unbelievable to me. I don't like his condescending, insensitive, arrogant attitude. For that reason alone I am no longer considering going for a consultation at LSL. I am a BSN, RN and have seen many instances where medical assistants are doing things (this includes giving incorrect medical advice) that should be left to licensed nurses. This is dangerous and is done solely to maximize profits, which are put above good patient care.