Waited 29 Years for Perky Boobs - Middletown, NY

I have wanted smaller boobs since I was 15 years...

I have wanted smaller boobs since I was 15 years old. At that age I had no idea there was such a thing as a breast reduction.

Time went on and I had children... so I didn't want to risk any damage at all to my breasts since I was breastfeeding... I nursed my 3 children a total of 9 years... 6 months out of those years was tandem nursing. My breasts have served me well. Now it's time to make them look good and finally relieve the back pain I've had since I was 17!!

I am currently a 34DD. Bra straps KILL me. I avoid wearing a bra as much as I possibly can. I get horrible headaches that start in my shoulders and the tension runs up into my neck (I have arthritis in my neck and upper spine) and then it turns into the killer headaches I have dealt with most of my life.

It's difficult to exercise on a regular basis because they are just so heavy and flop around and make me feel even worse. I was always petite but since I had emergency intestinal surgery I haven't been able to get these 30 lbs off me that just weigh me down and wear me out. I am so ready to have small boobs so I can exercise and have this pain relief and feel good again. I really miss feeling good. It's been so long.

At my last pain management appointment, I asked if my breast size could possibly be contributing to the amount of pain I have. He referred me to the PS, and she said DEFINITELY yes. She put in for approval for the surgery, and the insurance company said yes, it's medically necessary! So I schedule the surgery next week and I couldn't be happier.

I have been doing some research on my surgeon and have found nothing but good and positive things said about her. She said this is her favourite surgery to do. She said she's had patients who report INSTANT pain relief, even with post operative swelling.

I'm hoping that I am a B when all is said and done. I'm so excited. I've waited so long for this.

I have awful fear of surgery and anesthesia but knowing what the results are going to be is what is keeping me on this path. I will post more when I take some "before" pictures and when I know more after having my next appointment with my PS.

I got a date!

The nurse from the PS office called today to confirm I got the information that my insurance company approved the breast reduction. She asked if I'd like to reserve the date for the surgery now, instead of waiting until I see the doctor again, and I said YES!

There was ONE day left that was available in September so I grabbed it.

My surgery is scheduled for September 18th. I am going to sit tight until then and hope that nothing happens to change that date!

I'm still keeping the appointment next week to bring in my questions, along with my boyfriend and his questions. I swear I think he's just as excited as I am about this. :)
I am three weeks post op and would do it again in a second! Still recovering so I'm sore, incisions healing, bruising, aches and pains but so worth it! I'm 47 and have been large breasted since I was 13. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I was a 36dd on my 5'2 petite frame. Suffering from back and neck ache, poor posture, and deep permanent grooves in my shoulders. As soon as I came out of the recovery room and was coherent I can honestly say I felt like a weight was literally lifted off my chest. (2 + lbs to be exact!) Amazing. Already I am overwhelmed by the feeling that my days will no longer be controlled by the size of my chest. That sounds silly to someone who isn't well endowed, but it is sadly true. I can already wear an outfit because it is my size, without worrying about gapping, clinging, cleavage etc. This will open up a whole new world for you. I was worried just before surgery, as I've heard others say, that maybe I didn't really need this drastic surgery, but after seeing current pics of myself just a week before, I couldn't wait. Yes, it is painful, yes it's not pretty at first (I still have a ways to go for that part) but it is life changing in such a positive way. I believe I will end up around a full B once swelling is gone and couldn't be happier. Sorry to go on and on but wanted to let you know not to worry...it's the best decision you'll ever make for yourself!
I'm 7 wks post op , in my comment to u Moon Pye. Cheers Lyn
Hi , I'm 7 was post op, u will be the happiest lady in the universe. At 14yrs young I was DD cup. I'm 53yrs young and had Gg/h cup. Your story is exactly the same as I lived my life , most of my life, yes I had 3 kids & breast fed too. Keep positive as it also take big courage to go thru the op. I'm much happier in myself , I feel lighter i can move free-er. I can even sit closer to the table to eat. There's so much to tell u but it would take hrs. Follow ur after care & all the best of health. This site has helped me so much now we can help u. Well support u anyway. Cheers Lyn.

Getting Closer!

Had my pre-op appointment today with the surgeon. They scheduled my surgery clearance with my primary doctor and told me I'd be getting bloodwork done when the date got closer.

The nurse who supervises the surgery stuff came in and gave me the instructions, such as, no shirts that go over the head, use shirts that open up in front for the first few weeks because I won't be able to lift my arms above my head. No eating after midnight the night before the surgery. She told me the doctor advises eating a high protein diet the day before with lots of yogurt. She said to make sure I eat really really well the day before and make sure I'm very hydrated.

The hospital will call to let me know what time I should arrive. They said most likely it would be morning. I will be staying overnight. My surgeon has a 23 hour policy. She doesn't like to send patients home right away. I am competely ok with that, since I had a ton of complications from an emergency surgery I had a few years ago... I know, not the same, but still, it will make me feel tons better to be in their care that first night.

We talked about the surgery itself. She doesn't want me to watch any videos of the surgery like online or whatever, to avoid freaking myself out. I'm not like that, I can stomach almost anything, but I just haven't had any interest in watching one yet anyway. Perhaps I will, perhaps I won't... I know I will be intubated and have a catheter. I tried to get her to agree to no catheter, but she wouldn't go for it. I am prone to UTIs way too often and having a catheter scares me for that reason... I would really HATE to be recovering from major surgery and have a UTI on top of that. Sigh. Nothing I can do to fight that one, tho. I will just have to see if that happens or maybe I'll be lucky and not have an infection after.

I'm so excited about getting this over and done with. I can't wait for the results. The surgery itself makes me pretty anxious, but I've been pretty good at not freaking myself out about it so far.

I'll be recovering for the first 2 weeks away from my kids, which will be hard because I will miss them like mad. They'll be with their dad while i recuperate with my boyfriend. I've talked to the kids about my absence, so hopefully they'll be ok. They can come visit if their dad thinks they need to, anyway. It's just difficult to arrange something like that since I'll be 2 hours drive away from them and school schedules, etc. I just know that having this break from them will be better overall for the healing. I also know that it will be awesome when I get to see them again!!

So my surgery is less than a month away. Surgeon told me not to get sick. Any upper respiratory infection is an issue. No runny nose or phelgm, she said. I don't want anything to put off the surgery, so I will be washing my hands like mad and staying away from people as much as I can beforehand. lol

I know; I still haven't uploaded my "before" pics... I will get around to it, I promise! :)
Good idea with kids away. It has been hard caring for my daughter even though her dad helps, and she is 9 and can fetch and carry for herself. But I have been so exhausted for this last week since BR, and a noisy kid just won't allow sleeping in. Even when she tries to be quiet and her dad shushing her, she slams doors, etc. So no napping for me. I think she has to stay at grandmas this weekend so I can rest.
I have 3 children ages 6, 9, and 12.... and they are a handful. lol It would be near impossible to take care of them immediately after. Thanks for the kind words. :)
Good Luck with your surgery...you are going to be thrilled!!! I know I am...my surgery was August 18th and I have never felt better...just remember to take it easy those first two weeks:)

My boobs are smaller! And firmer!

I know it's been forever since I updated. I have just been so caught up in life and enjoying myself.

I had my surgery on Sept 18th, stayed overnight in the hospital, then went home the next day (right before lunchtime), stayed at home for a solid week recuperating, and I feel great now. I have started walking again and it feels really good to get some exercise. I was walking a little bit here & there right after the surgery, because the nurses at the hospital told me it was good to do to avoid blood clots, but I was still pretty careful with myself and scared to really walk far, and was tired for about a good 5 days after the surgery.

So much to say I don't even know where to start, lol.

First off, I guess I'll say I had my surgery at Orange Regional Hospital in Middletown, New York. The surgical staff there, the triage nurses, the recovery room nurses, my surgeon, and the nurses on the floor (all except one) were just utterly FANTASTIC. I can't say enough good things about them. And the one I had a problem with had nothing to do with the surgery, and I'll go into it later because it has nothing to do with what I'm talking about here.

My surgeon, Dr. Sacks, was WONDERFUL, before, during, and after. She took the time to answer ALL my questions and always tried to make me feel comfortable with what was going on. She has a great bedside manner. I would HIGHLY recommend her for so many reasons. I never heard any negative reports about her work, I heard many really good things about her. Nurses who took care of patients after she did surgery on them said her scars looked awesome, some of the best work they'd ever seen. Seriously, not one person had a bad word about her.

I wasn't thrilled about the anesthesia part. Apparently I'd had an awful panic attack while coming out of anesthesia that was so bad they had to knock me out again (I don't remember this at all, this is what I was told) so that I didn't fall off the gurney and hurt myself. I'm really grateful they took really good care of me after the surgery, especially because of how badly I panicked. They got my boyfriend and had him come in as well, I guess they were thinking that me seeing his face as I came out of it would help make me feel better. (My boyfriend was great too, but he's mine, lol.)

The nurses on the floor were fantastic with me overnight, putting up with me pulling that cord so many times. I was so surprised at how much pain I was in, and how weak I was for a good day after the surgery. I couldn't even get to the bathroom by myself. The anesthesia made it feel like someone turned up the gravity. I was really really really glad I agreed to stay overnight. I can't imagine going home like that!

I got a peek at my breasts the day after, when Dr. Sacks came in to change my dressings and make sure all looked ok... I was just shocked at how small and perky they were! Even with the post surgical swelling, I was thinking how PRETTY they are now!!

I went home with two drains, one on each side. Dr. Sacks took the drains out a few days after in an office visit. It didn't hurt at all, not one bit. While I had the drains, she had me keep a log about how often I emptied them, how much was in them, etc. Everything progressed the way it was supposed to, thank goodness.

I am now 15 days post-op and am healing very nicely. It does seem like one is healing faster than the other, but everything does look normal. The surgical glue is starting to peel and the skin underneath looks great. The glue is a bit itchy, but nothing that will drive me crazy. Certainly not even as itchy as a mosquito bite.

I have a bit of nerve pain now, I guess the nerves are waking up again, and clothing rubbing on my breasts is annoying. I find it's a lot more comfortable to wear a very supportive and tight sports bra right now, rather than a low impact one. I am wearing a bra all the time except for showers (it was great to be able to shower again! I was allowed to the day the drains came out.).

I am SO HAPPY I did this, and my ONLY regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I would have loved to have had these breasts throughout my 20s and 30s... but better late than never. My bra strap pain is completely gone. GONE. I used to not be able to wear a bra for more than 8 hours, and that was really pushing it. I would CRY taking it off, it hurt so badly. Now I'm sleeping in one and wearing one 24/7, and no bra strap pain at all. It's marvelous!

I got to go sports bra shopping and it was great. I went from being too big for everything in the store, to now being a medium! I have never been a size medium on top my entire life! I found it really hard to believe a medium was going to fit, but when I tried them on, the larges were definitely way too big. Amazing.

No underwires for at least 6 months, which I'm fine with. I am just amazed that I can even wear a sports bra, I've never been able to before.

I am just so happy!!
I went a little overboard in buying sportsbras which fasten in front and are so supportive, bought one in every color. My old sportsbras were industrial strength and hard to find, so shopping was so nice when they fit and are pretty. I haven't really felt the urge to shop for regular bras yet due to overindulging in the sportsbra dept., at least I justified to myself that wearing them 24/7, I should have choices to match my outfit. Even looking in the full length store mirror was not that bad, whereas before it was plain depressing. I may never want to wear an underwire again.

4 Weeks Post Op

I had a small skin separation under the right breast, which surprised me. One day it had a dry, small scab on it, the next night I noticed it looked raw. Ironically I had a post op appt the very next day so I didn't freak out. The surgeon told me it was skin separation but that it doesn't look bad and she'd like to follow up on that at the next appointment.

I'm wearing sports bras exclusively right now. I have only gone braless when showering and immediately after. My breasts feel GREAT. I was cleared to be able to walk the dogs again (YAY!) and lift a little more weight and allow myself more range of motion with my arms. I can't believe that I can sleep in a bra without the bra strap pain... I have never been able to do that... I do mean never... my whole entire life I couldn't wear a bra for more than 8 hours during the day and that was pushing it.

I'm able to sleep on my sides now comfortably. The surgical pain is completely gone. I have a BIT of nerve pain on the outsides of my breasts which I find very annoying when clothing brushes against it, but when it's really bothering me, I just wear a more supportive bra and that solves it.

Still it appears that the right is healing faster than the left, but oh well. They are both healing and that's the important part!

I have been wearing so many tank tops and shirts that I would never wear before and when my boyfriend commented on that (meaning, he liked it), I just said hey, I can finally wear clothes that fit me! haha

I was always aware that I was unhappy about clothing choices before, but it's so obvious now about the difference in what I can wear now, and it makes me so happy I get the chills. I did manage to buy a few new shirts too, and they are all tank tops or sleeveless, and I LOVE them. I know winter is coming, but I don't care, ha ha... I will wear them when I can, and if I have to, I'll wait until it gets warm again. At least I have a great amount of choices when summer comes back! And maybe I'll sneak a new shirt in here & there while I'm waiting for summertime to come back. ;)

Also, I've been cleared to do abdominal exercises and basically anything low impact that doesn't cause bouncing, lol.... so I am getting determined to lose the belly weight before summer comes too. I want to wear a two piece next year!

And.. I tried on a camisole someone had given me so many years ago that I never had the nerve to wear before ... and it looked GREAT. I can't wait to wear lingerie!

I can't even guess what size I might be now... and I kinda don't even want to know, since I understand I could still go through more changes over the next few months... after all, it's only been one month! I just know I can now wear a size medium sports bra, something I have never experienced before, and that amazes me.

Regarding: the pain

I did forget to mention one thing, and it was something that really truly surprised me. First off, I'll tell you that I am a chronic pain patient to begin with. I have arthritis in my spine, which is what motivated me to look into this surgery in the first place, looking for some relief from my daily pain. I had read tons of reviews and kept seeing comments from women about how the pain wasn't bad at all, they felt much better after surgery than they expected, etc.

So I took that information and combined it with my own pain experiences, and told myself, I can handle this no problem. I'm no stranger pain and everyone keeps saying it was easier than they expected, so I will have no problems. It'll be a breeze.

Boy, was I wrong. I can't believe the amount of pain I was in the first 11 days post op! It was crazy! The morphine drip in the hospital did not TOUCH the pain. I had to sleep sitting up until the 11th day. The whole experience was excruciating.

I'm not sure why this was different and more painful for me than it seemed to be for others. Perhaps my old doctor is right when she said because of my daily chronic pain I have developed an over sensitivity to pain? Or maybe my body didn't handle the trauma well? Who knows? I just know I was in a world of hurt for those 11 days.

I knew the morning I woke up on Day 12 that things were FINALLY different. Like when you have the flu, and you are sick for several days in a row, but then finally that day comes when you know you're on the mend and it's over and you will start feeling better again... it was like that moment, but obviously not the flu, it was the surgical pain. But WOW, I was so relieved when that moment came!

Considering this, and considering how I feel now, only a few weeks later, and how much better I look, and how much happier I am with my WHOLE body now, I would do it all over again, even if I *knew* beforehand just how much pain I would have to endure. There is no way I would not do this. My happiness outweighs ANY negative I experienced with this. And actually, I don't even think of the pain as negative... because it was a stepping stone to being a much improved "me".

I am so incredibly happy with my breasts. I am so happy I did this. No regrets at all.

One Month Post Op

Just out of curiosity, I tried on my old DDs and some of them still fit. I'm shocked. How could this be? My breasts definitely look so much smaller than they were. I get it that I still might have some swelling at this point, but I totally expected them to be huge.

Still, I'm not unhappy. My new boobs look good on me and they are PERKY. I'll gladly take still being in the neighborhood of D if they look how they look now. :)

I had a skin separation under the right breast, and it looks like I had another one right next to it. Is a hematoma a pool of blood under the skin? It looks like I have that under the skin separation. I have a surgeon appt coming up in 5 days. Is that too long to wait? It's not really bothering me. It feels kinda pinchy, but that's the skin itself. I feel nothing under the surface. No pain.
Newburgh Plastic Surgeon

I found Dr Sacks through Crystal Run Healthcare System in Middletown, NY. I was referred to her by my doctor. She has privileges in Orange Regional Medical Center, where I had my surgery. I love Dr Sacks' bedside manner. She takes her time, answers my questions, and encourages my research. She remained consistent through the entire procedure, pre- and post-op. She is intelligent and explains her answers. She is protective of her patients. She has never made me feel like ANY of my questions were silly. The ONLY downside is the wait time when I have an appointment... apparently everyone else loves her too, because she is one busy woman. That said, she is worth the wait. The wait time is the only reason I didn't give 5 stars. I would highly recommend her and the hospital I had it done in.