Did Ulthera Today - Connecticut

Okay, I've been stalking these boards for...

okay, I've been stalking these boards for months as I got up the courage to do the Ulthera. Well after reading so many positive posts I took the plunge this morning. So the first thing I have to say is Yes, it does Hurt! In some spots, not so bad-- but in others felt like I was getting my teeth drilled without novacain. My doc gave me percoset and some other mild pill....they suggested next time if I repeat the procedure down the road they go with a stronger pill like Vicodin. So if you make sure you get a fairly strong pain killer I think you will be okay but with the weak stuff it was rough.

Okay, so now onto the procedure and results. First of all, my dermatologist is more of an artist than just a scientist. She really spends time with your face and bone structure so that she uses the right strength and hits in the right spots to give very specific results for your face. If a doctor is good, no two procedures will be done the same. In my case, more sagging was noted on one side that the other (how very attractive for me) so the doctor used heaving doses on that side to help even things out. She spent a lot of time on my jawline and neck and then in my jowl area (which was quite howly jowly). She also did above my eyes to help with a brow lift. So now for results. Yes, I could see results right after the procedure...my eyes seemed to open up, my jowls looked a lot less jowly and my chin line already looked smoother and more defined. That's pretty good for something that is going to take 4 months to see the full results. So all in all, I'm cautiously optimistic...and like the others before me on this board, I will try to write in every week over the next 4 months to give you all some good info to work with.

Okay, so it has been about 3 weeks since I've...

Okay, so it has been about 3 weeks since I've done the full face Ulthera. Nothing dramatic yet but my jawline is definitely more cut and sharp and I think I'm seeing the fine lines in the jowl area starting to fade away...not sure if it's wishful thinking on my part but that's what it seems like. In looking back on it, I still say it really hurt...and would recommend medication. I'm also not a baby about pain...but this was intense. Will update more as time goes by.

Well, I'm at the two month mark now and while...

Well, I'm at the two month mark now and while I do see a little lifting on my eyelids and a more defined jawline, I wouldn't say I see any dramatic improvement. Let me put it this way---no one has told me that I look particularly good. But the literature and my doctor said 3 months so I'm going to wait another 4 weeks before I can for certain say whether this works well or not. So the net net is that I do see some minor improvements. Here will be the real test. ..I'm going away with a bunch of my girlfriends from college for a girls weekend on the first weekend in June. They haven't seen me in about 5 months and I will be hitting my 3 months after the Ulthera...these girls will be brutally honest...will let you know how it goes.

Okay, here we go...today is the 12 week mark after...

Okay, here we go...today is the 12 week mark after Ulthera...so I see that some doctors say you'll still see improvement in months 4-6 which I'm hoping will happen...so was it worth it? to be honest, I still don't know. Do I think I look better? Yes, my jawline is improved and my jowls are diminished but sadly, not a single family member or friend who didn't know I had done the procedure has commented about my appearance. I'm not sure what I was expecting people to say but I didn't even get a "you look good--did you lose weight?" So, not sure what to tell you...I was a good candidate in terms of age and skin type...I see an improvement in lower portion of face but not upper portion. Was it worth the money...I guess it depends on how much money you've got. Am I happy I did it....yes because I do see some improvement and any improvement makes me happy but it's not significant. I'll post again in a few weeks when I have a college girls reunion...they'll be brutally honest.

So now I'm I'm about 7 months post Ulthera...I do...

So now I'm I'm about 7 months post Ulthera...I do see improvement...my skin, especially on my lower face and jaw and neck is much tighter but it is not a significant improvement...but that said, it also didn't cost what a facelift costs nor did it require any downtime or recovery...I think if you did this every other year and did some laser work like fraxel in conjunction you would probably get nice but not dramatic results. If you are someone with a significant issue in one spot this probably isn't the way to go...I am just experiencing general aging with no one particular major problem. I think I would do it again and am planning on doing some laser work this fall

One more thing on the pain that some people...

One more thing on the pain that some people experience and others don't...I felt it was extremely painful on certain parts of the face...on the more bony parts like the brow..it killed because the ultrasound vibrates on the bone...on the more fleshy parts it didn't hurt as much. I think, (and I'm not a medical professional so I could be wrong but....) the reason some people experience more pain than others has less to do with personal pain tolerance...I believe some doctors are more aggressive with how strong the current is so they can better results. My guess is those that had more pain, likely will have better results...those who found it comfortable probably had a much lower frequency and results will be less significant. I am not someone who is a baby about pain and at certain times I nearly jumped off the table.

I feel my doctor is very skilled in aesthetic procedures but she is also a surgeon and understands the muscles, bones and tissues and how the form the face.

I had a great result. If your skin still has decent elasticity and the damage isn't so severe I think it is a great way to prevent going under the knife. I did it for under the chin but now feel like I have to do it again. The cost is a little prohibitive to do every year but that would probably be ideal.
mrsbns, I paid 900 for just the jaw, a tiny upper part of neck. That was the very cheapest ANYWHERE, except a few medispas out west. I have seen upwards of 4500, the lowest being usually around 3000. Now that is full face which I don't want to do since it will melt my radiesse. Thermage is also RF and some liked it, others not -- since I am terrified of dissolving fat, I say no to Thermage, but it's the same idea, hurting the skin to stimulate a reaction such as the shrinking around a scar. Many procedures use the human's own reaction like this, as you probably have gathered on so many of these sites. I cannot speak for Thermage, heard Titan is pretty weak but don't know that one either, and if it's arms and legs, I have heard tossed around the words Affirm and Accent -- but you can find that on here better than from me! Since Ulthera is so new many who have done lots of other treatments say the price is outlandish and taking advantage of the consumer, and I tend to agree. Since there is very little difference in tightening from ulthera, in my case, I don't know if this is a good choice for anyone. I mean, I am the ideal candidate --- almost 40, tight, no extra weight (and don't want to lose ANY in my face, for sure), just the teeniest beginning of sag -- which of course I want to ward off! Yet I saw no difference. I don't think it's a trick, per se....it's just too iffy to charge such a ridiculous amount. They say you won't see results three or more months, but by then your money and you are long gone! It's like paying for a car that you don't get to drive....or is that a good analogy? The theory behind this is little different from all the other lasers, rfs, peels -- basically, hurt the skin so it reacts, tightens and shrinks up in response. They say this ultherapy is better because (A) it goes DEEP to the SMAS layer (which is what convinced me, unfortunately) and (B) they can monitor each and every "hit" with the wand or whatever it is, on the ultrasound machine. But: here is the thing. It doesn't really do much at all (that's the big part) and people are fooled by initial swelling, as with many other procedures. The other thing I thought about is this: the RN who did mine was intelligent, but for any procedure you want someone who sees your face even "better": than you would ever see it. By this I mean, one side might be higher than the other, or one side needs far more and stronger pulses, and a really good plastic surgeon who does faces would see this and make sure to hit exactly the necessary parts, rather than do it by rote. It's the difference between a machine playing the piano and a brilliant musician playing the same piece (sorry, I play the piano.) I would say at all costs, but this procedure pushes it. It won't hurt you like some of the lasers, but this is actually one of those things that makes me think that doctors in the ps industry look at us and think, YAH! Let's get their money, the idiots! I don't think they all think like that, really not at all, but I say....wait til it gets cheaper, or something better comes up....sorry, but actually for arms and legs this isn't the one imo. I might need to look into that stuff too, soon, since I haven't properly exercised since I quit doing it obsessively to gain weight in the face -- damnit!

It's been a long time since anyone has posted here so I hope someone can give me an answer. Approximately how much have you people paid for Ulthera. Is it similar to Thermage or Titan? I'm getting very self-conscious about my sagging arms and legs, but my face is still ok (at 53). I'd sincerely appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!! (I'm also in CT)

I paid about $3500 about a year ago and thought it worked on my lower face and jawline. If you look at the research...the procedure was developed for the jawline and I think approved for that area. My jawline tightened up a bit but the rest of my face-- I could not see a difference. Sagging arms and legs?....unfortunately probably the best thing for that is....I hate to say it....exercise....you'll probably get better results and it will be a lot cheaper ...but on your face..I was a little disappointed with the ulthera....kind of worked but nothing that all my friends are rushing out to do...I was the guinea pig and I don't think my friends thought it made much of a difference... but maybe I had unrealistic expectations....
Ultherapy is currently being studied for tightening above the knee but not yet approved. As for the arms Velashape would be a better option. I have experience with Titan as well as Ultherapy. Ultherapy performed aggressively gives fantastic results, Titan has a much smaller ideal pt base and hurts more. MB
Hmm good point, libby12! Maybe the unscrupulous docs and RNs promote it to make money, of course (new procedure, need to pay for that machine somehow) and the decent-minded ones must think that the patients over 50 have younger-type skin? I mean there are some people I know in their 50s who look younger than me at 38. Wish I knew
Then why do the doctors believe it will work ? They know the age of their patients. My sagging is not too bad, however if the optimum age is 35 then don't promote it to people who are older.
When I went to have it done on jaw area, and I am almost forty (just turned thirty-eight), the RN who did mine for about one thousand bucks said she had it done on her whole face. She is five years younger than me. She said the optimum time to have it done is about thirty-five to fifty, which makes sense to me, because if the sagging is extreme, you're gonna need more than just this minor procedure. If I had NEVER had anything done and saved my money from all the botox since five years ago and I were over fifty, I would just wait and get a lift. People on this site who had lifts and then later do ulthera seem to think that ulthera does not come close to what a lift can do, and that seems about right. It merely tightens, and if you are over fifty, you probably would need more than simple tightening. I mean, I can barely tell it did anything after three months. Maybe if I were saggier to begin with I would but I doubt it.
This is very helpful and I am so glad I am on these boards. I am 61 and a doc in CT told me I am the perfect candidate for ulthera, except it would need to be done twice!!! I don't look 61 (I think) but my skin KNOWS that I am. How effective could this possibly be in reality for someone of my age. I will save my money and do something like a facelift. I don't have money to burn and I am annoyed that some doctor would even suggest this to me. Thank you to everyone for your input. It does help one evaluate things
So happy I've followed this board. I was hoping someone would report that Ulthera was a worthwhile procedure. The option to get improvement without cutting is very alluring. Truthfully, I couldn't see much change in the before/after pictures provided by Ulthera. Does anyone have any?
I don't have photos because I did not return to the dr. The improvement is very minimal. I wonder why this board is giving it a 90% rating. People should wait 3 months and then post.
I wonder if this procedure is effective only on people under say 50 and not for others. On these boards, I've yet to read of anyone who felt it was a great investment and really worth it. It is a lot of money for little effect, it seems
I am at week 15 after Ulthera...honestly...I see small changes and in general my skin looks very nice but I can honestly say that no one has come up to me and said "Wow you look Great!" So that's the real story folks....and seriously, I'm 54 and am pretty well preserved without treatment...but after all the fuss and money...not any significant change that anyone who knows me notices. A bit disappointing and expensive for no significant change.
Well, I am really glad I have been reading these boards because I am electing NOT to have ulthera at this point. It just doesnt' seem that it's effective enough. I wish that weren't the case. The hype sounded great - nothing injected, nothing to be allergic to - but for me it's got to be at least moderately effective and it seems that it is not
If I were rich like a celebrity I would certainly get this -- I hate how my ex-bf always says how hot Demi Moore is at her age when in fact she's had everything under the sun done and by the very best.....I think celebs should be forced to take lie detector tests about what they've had done! :)
I am at week 2, and I am not seeing any results. However, I had Sculptra done immediately following the Ultherapy. Has anyone done that?
Thanks for keeping us all informed.

My takeaway on this after 3 months is that it does NOTHING and is a bunch of hipe --it's painful and expensive and I have nothing to show for it.

I only did my lower face and I know now, that it was not worth it.

To my PS who performed the procedure: I would have considered coming to you for a future surgery on my face, but I now question your integrity.
I very much appreciate your input. The doctor I consulted recommended that I have the procedure done TWICE to get the best results - it would cost almost $6,000!!!!!!!! I can't waste that kind of money which I really don't have to begin with. I'm not going to have it done and go after fillers etc instead.
It is noteworthy - at least to me - that in this part of the country (Connecticut) there are still very few doctors who perform this procedure. Why???? Very few in the Boston area as well. Is that because it doesn't really work?
My takeaway from this after 3 months is that the lower face works better than the upper and that there is not a dramatic change....very subtle but nice. So if you are looking for people to stop you on the street and say, Hey you look great! That's not going to happen. But I do see some subtle changes...worth the money...not sure...might have had better results spending same money on fillers and botox
I really appreciate your input. Probably going to spend my hard-earned cash on fillers etc. I don't need it to be dramatic but at least noticeable or it isnt' worth it. I very much appreciate your honesty. The doctor I consulted recommended that I have the procedure TWICE, spaced about two months apart. No way for that kind of dough!
I didn't realize my improvement till I saw my after photos.
I am also 2 months out and although I have not gone back to see my 'before' pictures, I am absolutely sure that I have little improvement. I am also 'older' but have little fat and just slight laxity under my chin, so I did expect that the little bit of loose skin would be tightened. Prior to the procedure, I measured certain areas of laxed skin and today, those areas are still the same - maybe having the slightest improvement.
That said, I am not ready to give this a thumbs down because I am still hoping that I need a few more weeks to see better results.
I too have very little fat and have been told I am the "perfect" candidate. No idea what makes someone that perfect!
I wish I knew if I were a good candidatye -- little fat too, just the mildest laxity (I am almost 40, have had fillers around the cheek because my face is long and thin, yuck!)
Am at the 10 week mark now...I also saw some pictures at my doctor's office...big changes in the lower portion of my face...jaw line, jowl, chin and cheek...Honestly, don't see much change in upper portion of face so that's interesting to note in case you are thinking of doing full face vs. lower face ..maybe you only do the lower portion from money perspective.