We're All in This Together! - Columbus, OH

Hi everyone! I recently got a tattoo that I...

Hi everyone!

I recently got a tattoo that I regret and can't explain how much this site has helped me. Reading other people's stories and feeling like I can connect with someone is such a great feeling.

I've been going to a dermatologist for years now who I've always gotten along with and felt she was very knowledgeable. About a month after I was tattooed I went in for a consultation and was really disappointed. She was very condescending and I felt like she didn't know what she was talking about. I had done SO much research on my own and most of what she told me was the opposite of what I've read on here and on other blogs/websites. (I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but in this case, there isn't much to it.) It's a very simple tattoo. The words "Free Yourself" that was supposed to look like the hard written note I had from my grandmother. It is seriously so simple. If you laid down an iPhone, traced it, and wrote "Free Yourself" inside it, you would have my tattoo. There is no shading, no color, and it is poorly done. Some of the lines are so thin that it seems I can see under them. It's a hard thing to describe. I'm just not happy with it and from what I've read, it should be pretty easy to remove. She quoted me OVER TEN sessions for $300. I just can't wrap my head around that.

I wasn't satisfied with this visit so I went to another dermatologist in my area that I had heard good things about and I really liked him. I felt very comfortable in the office and the staff was great. I asked so many questions and felt he was being honest with me.
I was quoted between 4-6 sessions at $275.
I scheduled my first treatment for May 31st

I have a few questions for anyone out there who may have had similar experiences....
How many offices did you visit before you made your decision?
Did you feel like the technician was quoting you for more treatments just to extend treatment time (in turn - more money?)
Have you felt regret after starting treatments?
Have you felt like you were being judged more for having the tattoo removed than for having the tattoo itself?

I hadn't planned on writing something so long, but I just wanted to express my thanks to everyone who was written about their experiences. You all have truly helped me and I'm sure many others.

-Sky

Taking advice

After reading your comments and realizing that the prices I was quoted were too high, I decided to cancel and keep looking around for another office. I did look online at some office's websites and a lot of them charge for the consultation which kinda turns me off. I guess I'll just have to deal!

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Thinking

Needed to vent a little. It's been exactly two months since I got the tattoo and I'm having so many mixed emotions about it all.
My mom (and you all) are the only people that know I want to have the tattoo removed. I don't really want to let others in on my personal decisions when I know they will just be judgmental and won't understand.
My boyfriend doesn't know. We've been together for about a year and he has always been very respectful and supportive of me but I'm just so nervous to tell him. He knows I don't like it but he does like it, and we have really bumped heads over this. He just thinks I'm being dramatic, that "it's just a tattoo!" I know I shouldn't worry about what he thinks but of course it bothers me when he doesn't understand.

Any of you out there in relationships have these issues? What do they think of your decision to remove your ink? This has definitely taken a toll on the relationships in my life and that's the worst part of it all.
I have an appointment coming up on June 5th and hopefully they'll quote me a much lower price.

Hope all of you are staying positive and having success!

An update

Hi all

I wanted to give an update since it's been so long.
I decided that I should wait a year before I start the removal process. My views change weekly it seems. Sometimes I hate it, other times I can tolerate it. It's a huge decision to make. I thought that if I waited I would start to feel better about it and it might grow on me. Unfortunately that isn't what happened. I see all of your updates and see the amazing progress and I want that. I just wish I could know what it will look like afterwards. It's the unknown that is so unsettling. I've seen all the blisters and the healing process, but I am just so scared that it will look worse after I try to make it better.

I came across a blog that had posted about tattooing a saline solution into the tattoo, that brought the ink to the surface and would just scab and fall off. Has anyone else heard about this? Seen any photos? It seems too good to be true.

Good luck to all of you!