not worth it

I am really beginning to question and wonder about...

I am really beginning to question and wonder about Dermatologists. Why is it that 99% of derms out there tell you that Retin A can't harm or damage the skin? Why do they insist that that it ONLY makes skin beautiful as long as you "keep at it!"? Before trying Retin A I read all the reviews. I also read a few horror stories and like everyone else, I assumed, well they must have just not applied it properly. Wrong.
I applied Retin A very, very carefully. I followed directions to a T. I'm now thinking the mistakes I made were to use a clarisonic and vitamin C ( not in conjunction but the day after) while also using Retin A. Perhaps I would still be having the issues I have had even without these things, but I do think these exacerbated the problem. I'd like to add that I was told it was perfectly safe to use both wihile on Retin A. Again.. wrong.

Let me tell you what Retin A does to the skin. It thins it. It thins the epidermis and damages the skin barrier. I don't care what any doctor out there says, this is what it does. How do I know this? Well, I used retin A for approx 3/4 nights ( every other night) and this is what it did to my skin in that very short time..

~Spider veins along nose
~dark circles
~extremely sensitized skin that turns red very easily, even know 3 weeks after being off of it
~greasy, oily skin. VERY oily
~fine lines increased
~deep wrinkles appeared from NOWHERE
~horrible, awful huge pores ALL OVER MY FACE
~red all around my nose
~splotchy skin
~shiny skin

Thanks Retin A. Retin A dehydrates the skin, damages the barrier and thins the epidermis, all of which are very difficult to treat and take months to resolve. If not years. For some people, this is never remedied.

I am lucky that I stopped using it as soon as I saw the large pores. I knew something was amiss and I was not taking any chances. It's been three weeks and with careful care of my skin there is vast improvement. But if you don't treat it properly and promptly, you will be regretting using retin a for the rest of your life. Please be cautious. If you have a bad reaction such as mine, leave a comment and I will tell you how to fix the problem. And stop the retin a immediately.. it will only get worse and harder to fix.

You got me very afraid now ! I first started using tretin-x 0.0375 last spring and my face got red and inflamed and broke out worse then before with cystic acne. As everyone else I was thinking it should get better, just like I been told. But, it didn't. I went to a cosmetologist and she said that my skin is extremely dehydrated and that I should start hydrating it immediately with creams and oils even though I had acne. My skin looked horrible, dry and acne and no make up could cover the ugliness. I stopped Retin a , but my skin remained horrible for few months after. Slowly it was healing. But even then I didn't realize that it might have been caused by retina-a use. I just blamed it on my hormones. So recently (about 3 weeks ago) I started using same retin- a again , eve though my skin looked fine , almost no breakouts. I started because one of my friends visited and her skin looked great and she told me she had been using retina-a . So week later after starting retina a my skin became red, dry and inflamed. I cut down the use and added moisturizer with retin-a . 3 weeks later, my skin broke out with cystic acne. I didnt have that for maybe 3 months already! So mad now ! And after reading some negative reviews i dont know what to do , I think I should stop. I was just hoping to get through this stage and maybe it will all get better, but now I am afraid that it can get worse and cause long term or worse permanent damage.... ughhhhh :((((((
I just wanted to clarify: Ziana has been tolerated well on the rest of my face (almost daily for 2 years) and I have seen excellent results. I am 38 and have no lines on my forehead--most people think I'm 30. It does flake your top layer and molts it. I due think it builds collagen in the thicker part of your face areas. However under eye skin is filmy and I do believe applying retina, ziana, or tazorac can cause the skin layer to become thinner exposing more lines and wrinkles. And I don't think the skin under the eye grows back stronger. For me, I have seen stubborn wrinkles appear under eyes in weeks after retinoids and they have not been reduced and under eye skin is even thinner, exposing veins. Its all confusing with so many products out there and so many opinions but take a deep breath and do what works for you. I have freaked out in the past and it really only made me more paranoid. I try and remind myself of a cardinal rule: if it aint broke don't break it! Prevention can drive you up a wall. Live your life now if you like the way you look. Take pics and enjoy. For awhile I didn't drink because I feared puffy eyes the next day. Then I realized that stress can age me too! Its a delicate high wire act but living your life is better than preventing aging.
I used ziana .25 under my eyes and on crows feet. The retinoid spread to places I didn't have wrinkles have cracks and fine lines and NOW I have lines emerging from nowhere. I used ziana on my forehead for two years so then I tried for eye wrinkles. What a nightmare! It has thinned my skin there and my purple vein shows up now making dark circles. I tried it 3x a week for 2 months. I am so mad! All I read was that retinoids make under eye skin thicker by building collagen so how come new lines are there. What should I do happy girl?

How to fix the problem Retin A creates.

Hello everyone who is having skin troubles after using Retin A.

This is how you help restore your skin. You need to repair your skin barrier and hydrate the skin. This is the exact routine I follow.. and I follow it until my skin is all healed and then to be safe I will continue on for another month. First things first.. NO acids, no exfoliation, no scrubbing. Be gentle with your skin. As gentle as possible. Spot treat acne.

1. Wash skin with cellceuticals extra gentle cleanser. ( this cleanser is awesome.
2. Apply small to medium amount of cold emu oil to the skin.. ( I keep my emu oil in the fridge. It will turn into a cream and then melt into your hands. I buy my emu oil from the Montana Ranch. It is very important that your emu oil is purified and pure.)
3. Immediately after applying the emu oil, while skin is still moist from the oil, apply barrier repair cream from cellceuticals.
4. About twenty minutes later apply zinc sunscreen from skinceuticals. Zinc is very healing to the skin.

That is ALL I do. Nothing else. This will heal your skin barrier but it takes time. It will also hydrate your skin. Your skin should not break out from this routine. Your t-zone may be affected if you over apply these things so apply them sparingly to these areas. I also spot treat my nose to prevent black heads. I will wash with a BP wash or apply proactive BP cream on it. But only to my nose. The emu oil has actually stopped me from breaking out on my face completely.

I agree with you, but we girls , always want to look better. And when we start aging , it really scares us, we want to delay our years as much as possible, want to stay yourng forever!)
Update , stopped retin a and usin organic aragan oil all over my face nightly, my skin looks much better. Will research more on retin- a before using it again.

I love aragan oil, it has so many uses! Glad you see some improvement in your face :)

Do NOT wash with cellceuticals extra gentle cleanser, wash with raw honey!

Do NOT wash with cellceuticals extra gentle cleanser, wash with raw honey! Put raw honey on your face, leave on for a few minutes and rinse off. That is all you need to do. Twice a day. My pores are 90% gone now using this method.

Wonderful news! Honey is natures medicine!
HappyGirl I have IPL damage and was told to use RetinA which was the worse advice the doctor could have given for me which caused more damage. I did follow directions used the weakest formula went to only twice a week etc etc just horrible shriveled skin. It is very very difficult to find product that does not have some form of it in their products either RetinA or retinol or some other water downed base of vitamin A. Do you have photos of your skin damage? Of course you must be absolutely pleased with what is happening to your skin though I think those of us with laser damage are dealing with even more problems such as brown spots, loss of tone and fullness to our skin. Any improvement would be great please post pictures it give us hope to see what might be able to see for ourselves. Thanks for sharing your great find.

My pores are GONE. gone. gone gone.

I stopped everything and ONLY washed by face with raw, local honey- organically harvested and then put on emu oil. Nothing else- not even make up or sunscreen. It's been a few days of that- just a few and my skin completely healed. It's dry but there are no pores, I can *barely* barely see the broken caps- very light, the 11's are totally gone. My skin is healed. It's healed. I am SO happy! photos to come.

Hi all. In the same boat. Can I get an update on the Genki Squalene? Is it still helping your skin? If it is I think I'll give it a go. My damage was from retinol and microdermabrasion. I'm just on Emil oil and honey and not sure how much it's helping but I don't believe it is getting worse and the stinging has gone down a lot. One month and one week out from the beginning of this mess.
Great new, honey is such a wonderful thing! Has so many uses. I look forward to you photo update.
I feel everyone's pain who in their quest of making their skin better..only ends up making it worse..I used to be told my whole life I had great clear skin..but sometimes I get sucked into marketing and advertising and purchase a product thinking it will be the holy grail of skin care and make my skin flawless.. Wish I never diverted from my usual skin care products I have been using over the years including the trusted rosehip oil. Worst thing I started doing this year is exfoliating..I'm 33 and before this I never exfoliated ..and now I wish I never tried..I only use natural products but even with these they can cause lasting damage..especially with large granuls ..anything with granuls will irritate your skin..sensitive skin ppl more than non sensitive skin..but I still think it would injure all skin types...All it has done is completely irritate and thin my skin..I get red blotches everywhere and veins popping out and was told my a dermatologist I had completely stripped my skin barrier...and I only exfoliated for a few weeks..twice a week!... After a few months of staying away and using essential fatty acids serums like rosehip and mun serum my skin had come bk to being normal..but then what did I do last night?...tried a new mask not realizing when I brought it initially it had granuls in it..thought maybe this time would be different..and seeing as i had a break from when i last used it...woahhh was i wrong...so when I washed it off..it scrapped my skin again...this morning I wake up..red spots all over my face..:(..skin barrier is impaired again...Sighs.. I have noticed ever since I have used them I have more pigmentation and little red marks on my face..prob because I weakened the barrier so much..that even though I wear sunscreen everyday I still couldnt fight of some sun damage...(would hate to think if I didn't wear sun screen) So if there is anything I recommend is for all women to stay away from all exfoliaters /masks with granuls in it..it will strip the moisture barrier of your skin and impair it..causing a ripple effect of damage. I now use Elizabeth den vit b cleansing oil every day with papya which Mildly exfoliates ..with zero granuls..just pure moisture..and leaves my skin dewy and soft and no flakiness..while nurturing and not damaging my skin...is seriously the best cleanser I have ever used and believe one day it will have a massive cult following..plus all natural and no nasties .I also recommend mun brightening serum which has only 3 pure amazing healing oils..not filled with loads of unneccasry ingrediants that irritate ur skin..it includes argan oil and prickley pear..which has transformed my skin.. I think we over complicate things for ourselves as women which end up having the opposite effect sometimes..somtimes we only need a small amount of tried and trusted products ..once you find something that works..stick with it!!.....its sometimes when we venture out we ended up wishing we hadnt it..but in saying that sometimes if you are struggeling with the products you have currently been using..you need to take a leap of faith to find the ones you can rely on and settle with... have faith you can resolve ur skin issues because skin has amazing regenerating powers!..what I highly recommend which you will never regret is : Elizabeth den vit b cleansing oil Mun brightening serum Rosehip oil Good mineral facesunscreen Lots of fresh carrot juice everyday which builds up natural vit a in your skin..is much better getting it naturally internally than synthetically topically which harms and thins skins..carrot juice internally along with green tea, cocoa powder (I can't live without having my %100 hot cocoa every morning..I have it with a splash of almond milk)..broccoli..these all protect your skin from the sun as they build up an internal SPF in your skin :)..and repair skin cells and reverse wrinkles.. Drink lots of filtered water to..but trust me on those products..you won't need anything else and will be amazed at how they can transform your skin.. Even though I made the mistake again with a scrub..(never again will I use a scrub in my life!..we live and learn hey..trial and error :p..can take a few times..but hey we are human..so be kind to yourself!!...as one thing I have learned from reading all these posts that brings me comfort..is we are not alone:) Stay away from any scrubs or peels or anything harsh!..can't stress that enough..we need to heal and nurture our skin..not keep attacking it..All about repairing nurturing and moisture! Good skin healing energy coming your way!