I healed my skin from Retin A damage!!!! Finally!!!!!

I am really beginning to question and wonder about...

I am really beginning to question and wonder about Dermatologists. Why is it that 99% of derms out there tell you that Retin A can't harm or damage the skin? Why do they insist that that it ONLY makes skin beautiful as long as you "keep at it!"? Before trying Retin A I read all the reviews. I also read a few horror stories and like everyone else, I assumed, well they must have just not applied it properly. Wrong.
I applied Retin A very, very carefully. I followed directions to a T. I'm now thinking the mistakes I made were to use a clarisonic and vitamin C ( not in conjunction but the day after) while also using Retin A. Perhaps I would still be having the issues I have had even without these things, but I do think these exacerbated the problem. I'd like to add that I was told it was perfectly safe to use both wihile on Retin A. Again.. wrong.

Let me tell you what Retin A does to the skin. It thins it. It thins the epidermis and damages the skin barrier. I don't care what any doctor out there says, this is what it does. How do I know this? Well, I used retin A for approx 3/4 nights ( every other night) and this is what it did to my skin in that very short time..

~Spider veins along nose
~dark circles
~extremely sensitized skin that turns red very easily, even know 3 weeks after being off of it
~greasy, oily skin. VERY oily
~fine lines increased
~deep wrinkles appeared from NOWHERE
~horrible, awful huge pores ALL OVER MY FACE
~red all around my nose
~splotchy skin
~shiny skin

Thanks Retin A. Retin A dehydrates the skin, damages the barrier and thins the epidermis, all of which are very difficult to treat and take months to resolve. If not years. For some people, this is never remedied.

I am lucky that I stopped using it as soon as I saw the large pores. I knew something was amiss and I was not taking any chances. It's been three weeks and with careful care of my skin there is vast improvement. But if you don't treat it properly and promptly, you will be regretting using retin a for the rest of your life. Please be cautious. If you have a bad reaction such as mine, leave a comment and I will tell you how to fix the problem. And stop the retin a immediately.. it will only get worse and harder to fix.

How to fix the problem Retin A creates.

Hello everyone who is having skin troubles after using Retin A.

This is how you help restore your skin. You need to repair your skin barrier and hydrate the skin. This is the exact routine I follow.. and I follow it until my skin is all healed and then to be safe I will continue on for another month. First things first.. NO acids, no exfoliation, no scrubbing. Be gentle with your skin. As gentle as possible. Spot treat acne.

1. Wash skin with cellceuticals extra gentle cleanser. ( this cleanser is awesome.
2. Apply small to medium amount of cold emu oil to the skin.. ( I keep my emu oil in the fridge. It will turn into a cream and then melt into your hands. I buy my emu oil from the Montana Ranch. It is very important that your emu oil is purified and pure.)
3. Immediately after applying the emu oil, while skin is still moist from the oil, apply barrier repair cream from cellceuticals.
4. About twenty minutes later apply zinc sunscreen from skinceuticals. Zinc is very healing to the skin.

That is ALL I do. Nothing else. This will heal your skin barrier but it takes time. It will also hydrate your skin. Your skin should not break out from this routine. Your t-zone may be affected if you over apply these things so apply them sparingly to these areas. I also spot treat my nose to prevent black heads. I will wash with a BP wash or apply proactive BP cream on it. But only to my nose. The emu oil has actually stopped me from breaking out on my face completely.

Do NOT wash with cellceuticals extra gentle cleanser, wash with raw honey!

Do NOT wash with cellceuticals extra gentle cleanser, wash with raw honey! Put raw honey on your face, leave on for a few minutes and rinse off. That is all you need to do. Twice a day. My pores are 90% gone now using this method.

My pores are GONE. gone. gone gone.

I stopped everything and ONLY washed by face with raw, local honey- organically harvested and then put on emu oil. Nothing else- not even make up or sunscreen. It's been a few days of that- just a few and my skin completely healed. It's dry but there are no pores, I can *barely* barely see the broken caps- very light, the 11's are totally gone. My skin is healed. It's healed. I am SO happy! photos to come.

Most retinols over 1% may be too harsh for the skin,also it should only be applied at night. You should use a mild retinol formula that combines other antioxidants and moisturizers. Results may take longer but it will be safer for your skin.
Any update? I hav recently had an adverse reaction to retin a. I used it in the past with no problem. This time around after a cpl days of retin a use at bedtime I am left with large areas of hyper pigmented dark patches of shiny skin...i discontinued the retin after a week nd tht skin still has not peeled. My skin looks absolutely terrible nd now I hav to wait 3 weeks to get in to c the derm. I'll try the honey nd c how it helps
I'm sorry to hear you are going threw this and it doesn't help that its so hard to get into see a dermatologist. Trust me if you baby your skin and drink lots of water you will recover from this. I thought i was stuck with the swelling and shinny skin but since i have come off the Retin a my skin has improved. I had a very bad reaction, my skin is very sensitive and began to peel and flake. I developed deep cysts along my chin and forehead it was a disaster! Once i was able to get in to see a doctor i was given antibiotics to clear up the cystic acne and any bacteria that was causing the swelling. I'm still not completely healed as i have some redness along my forehead and some hyperpigmentation , i have been cleansing with baby wash on no make up days and Neutrogena glycerin bar soap when i wear makeup. Ive also been using sunscreen day and night as it contains zinc. Zinc oxide is very healing to the skin and i believe it has had a part in the healing process. I also purchased some collagen supplements with vitamin C as i read it would help heal the skin.
Thanks love. I appreciate it:)
I had a bad reaction to Retin a about 3 months ago. My face swelled up and after i had got the swelling down ive noticed the skin is thin and i do not have the firm texture i had before i started with Retin a. Ughh this is so frustrating already I am 28 years old and have been hiding from the world for almost 4 months. Can anyone tell me what i can do as far as the dark circles i have and sunken eyes from the Retin a?
Wow I'm having texture issues too. I have tried too different strengths. It makes me look old when I use it and I started off slowly and use a good moisturizer. I think it works great for some but not all. I now just use manzelic acid and spf daily year round and brighter.
Moderator deleted derma roller technique. Use .5 derma roller or vibraderm. Retin a cause burnt looking dead skin. Derma roller increase new collagen(if your skin is suitable) and 75-85% of the stratum corneum is removed in minutes using vibraderm. Waste of time using cream on top of deadskin. Remove deadskin and then you can hydrate the skin.
How long does the skin heal after using derma roller??
Use vibraderm
Hi there, I have just ordered the cellceuticals barrier repair cream online (wasn't easy to get in australia) and have emu oil already. Do you think the raw honey and zinc are necessary? Did you find most of the benefits from the emu oil and barrier cream?
I wash with honey but I don't see any difference in my pores, you think the emu oil is key?
Wonderful news! Honey is natures medicine!
HappyGirl I have IPL damage and was told to use RetinA which was the worse advice the doctor could have given for me which caused more damage. I did follow directions used the weakest formula went to only twice a week etc etc just horrible shriveled skin. It is very very difficult to find product that does not have some form of it in their products either RetinA or retinol or some other water downed base of vitamin A. Do you have photos of your skin damage? Of course you must be absolutely pleased with what is happening to your skin though I think those of us with laser damage are dealing with even more problems such as brown spots, loss of tone and fullness to our skin. Any improvement would be great please post pictures it give us hope to see what might be able to see for ourselves. Thanks for sharing your great find.
You got me very afraid now ! I first started using tretin-x 0.0375 last spring and my face got red and inflamed and broke out worse then before with cystic acne. As everyone else I was thinking it should get better, just like I been told. But, it didn't. I went to a cosmetologist and she said that my skin is extremely dehydrated and that I should start hydrating it immediately with creams and oils even though I had acne. My skin looked horrible, dry and acne and no make up could cover the ugliness. I stopped Retin a , but my skin remained horrible for few months after. Slowly it was healing. But even then I didn't realize that it might have been caused by retina-a use. I just blamed it on my hormones. So recently (about 3 weeks ago) I started using same retin- a again , eve though my skin looked fine , almost no breakouts. I started because one of my friends visited and her skin looked great and she told me she had been using retina-a . So week later after starting retina a my skin became red, dry and inflamed. I cut down the use and added moisturizer with retin-a . 3 weeks later, my skin broke out with cystic acne. I didnt have that for maybe 3 months already! So mad now ! And after reading some negative reviews i dont know what to do , I think I should stop. I was just hoping to get through this stage and maybe it will all get better, but now I am afraid that it can get worse and cause long term or worse permanent damage.... ughhhhh :((((((
I just wanted to clarify: Ziana has been tolerated well on the rest of my face (almost daily for 2 years) and I have seen excellent results. I am 38 and have no lines on my forehead--most people think I'm 30. It does flake your top layer and molts it. I due think it builds collagen in the thicker part of your face areas. However under eye skin is filmy and I do believe applying retina, ziana, or tazorac can cause the skin layer to become thinner exposing more lines and wrinkles. And I don't think the skin under the eye grows back stronger. For me, I have seen stubborn wrinkles appear under eyes in weeks after retinoids and they have not been reduced and under eye skin is even thinner, exposing veins. Its all confusing with so many products out there and so many opinions but take a deep breath and do what works for you. I have freaked out in the past and it really only made me more paranoid. I try and remind myself of a cardinal rule: if it aint broke don't break it! Prevention can drive you up a wall. Live your life now if you like the way you look. Take pics and enjoy. For awhile I didn't drink because I feared puffy eyes the next day. Then I realized that stress can age me too! Its a delicate high wire act but living your life is better than preventing aging.
I agree with you, but we girls , always want to look better. And when we start aging , it really scares us, we want to delay our years as much as possible, want to stay yourng forever!)
Update , stopped retin a and usin organic aragan oil all over my face nightly, my skin looks much better. Will research more on retin- a before using it again.

I love aragan oil, it has so many uses! Glad you see some improvement in your face :)

Wow I looked at a photo prior to using retain a and I.liked my old skin more
I used ziana .25 under my eyes and on crows feet. The retinoid spread to places I didn't have wrinkles have cracks and fine lines and NOW I have lines emerging from nowhere. I used ziana on my forehead for two years so then I tried for eye wrinkles. What a nightmare! It has thinned my skin there and my purple vein shows up now making dark circles. I tried it 3x a week for 2 months. I am so mad! All I read was that retinoids make under eye skin thicker by building collagen so how come new lines are there. What should I do happy girl?
i've been using avene eluage eye cream for 10 days now and i can see my wrinkles r worse! the lines just deepened! i will not continue using and i dont care what doctors say, i just hope the effect is temporary
Absolutely none of this is true. tretinoin does not "thin" the skin, and every single reliable resource will tell you that 8 week minimum to see positive results. You should be embarrassed to lie to people like this based on using a product incorrectly and ignoring instructions. Don't wonder about dermatologists wonder about why you feel the need give out bad info. If even one person is dissuaded from using a product that you change their life, because you didn't have to will to use the product correctly, it is a shame.
Ugh. People like you drive me nuts. YOU people are the reason that I thought retin a was safe. Before taking it I read every thing I could on the net. I read people say it ruined their skin and then some commenter would come along and say they were lying and retin a doesn't do that. That is such bull! I did not use it incorrectly. I did not even get red or flaky skin! My pores opened all over my face and it freaked me out so I stopped using it. THEN my face became all read and sensitized and dehydrated. It's two months later and I am still dealing with this crap. I have to have three broken caps lasered off my face now bc of it. My skin is so sensitive that if I use anything or do anything besides gently wash my face and use emu oil and barrier repair my face turns bright red like I have a sunburn. I cannot use a clarisonic or acne medication or exfoliate my face or have a facial. Lucky you that retin a didn't mess your face up but be careful. Go read ALL the Q & A's under retin a and you will see how many people get the problem with open pores. And sometimes this problem doesn't show up till months and months later. If you are someone who uses retin a for 8 months and then your face open ups with pores, you are in big trouble. They will never go away. I was lucky only bc I used a few times. People become suicidal over this stuff. Go read IPL laser damage support group. There are a few people on there with retin a damage and they became so depressed they needed to medicate themselves. You have no idea what you are talking about. Google retin a thin skin/open pores if you think I am the only one who has suffered from this weird reaction.
And I am smart and lucky that I only used it three times. I would forever have damaged skin otherwise. Look on retin a q&a and notice how many questions go like this... "PLEASE HELP ME!!! I have been using retin a for six months and at first it made my skin beautiful, now I have open pores all over my face!!! Why did this happen and what can I do???" And guess what you will notice? Not one answer from any doc. They don't know why this happens but it IS a known cause. It is also KNOWN to thin the skin for some people but yet again, doctors don't tell you this. This pore/texture problem is EXTREMELY difficult to fix. You better hope it doesn't happen to you. No joke because it could.
I only used it 3 times as well and it's been 3 months and my skin is still jacked up!!! I didn't use it improperly and followed the directions. My skin is oily as hell and has a weird ass red blotchy color to it. Both which don't seem to be going away or getting any better. I hear you happy on how you don't get an answer from any docs. That fucking sucks cuz all they say is 'you must have used too much of it' and 'any side effects will go away after you stop using it'......WRONG!!! I fucking hate this shit!!!!!!!!!