Upper Bleph - Pleased w/Results

I had upper blepharoplasty done on 12/22 because I...

I had upper blepharoplasty done on 12/22 because I have always disliked the hooding and puffiness of my upper eyelids. The made me look tired when I was not. It has only been eight days, but I am beginning to regret having it done.

The healing process has been different than I expected. I spent hours doing research and almost all of the reviews and photos of upper bleph spoke of and showed little swelling and very quick healing. That has not been my experience. I did and still do have a lot of swelling in my upper and lower lids.

I have to return to work on Jan 3. Hopefully most of the swelling will be gone by then. As for results, I know it’s much too soon to determine what the final outcome will be, but I think my eyes are definitely asymmetrical and will remain this way once I am completely healed. I am pleased with the shape of my right eye, although I think my doctor was a little conservative with the skin and fat removal. The left eye is shaped differently and more fat and skin were removed from it than the right. It also droops. I hope that the different shape and the drooping are a result of the swelling that is still present and will improve with time; but I think revision surgery is in my future.

My initial results were good, but my PS and I felt...

My initial results were good, but my PS and I felt my eyes were still puffy and hooded. A slight revision was done in May and I am happy with the outcome. For me, the surgery was totally worth it.

For those of you who have already had upper bleph, do you think as time went on & swelling went down, did you see more or less "eyelid"? I'm just 2 weeks out from surgery, & although I'm happy with the symmetry & incisions look great, I'm wondering if enough skin was removed. Everyday the swelling goes down more & more, I see less & less eyelid, to the point now their really isn't very much lid showing. I asked my PS about it at my 1 week checkup & he said as swelling continues to subside I will see more "eyelid", but so far my experience has been the opposite. What do you think?
you honestly cannot tell at 2 weeks...at 2 months maybe....
honestly girls it really does take at least 6 months to see the real final result...my eyes were lumpy lobsided puffy etc etc and a year later its fab....just be patient and hang on in there...best wishes to you all
exactly !
I live in Ohio and need a revision to my eyelid surgery - can you tell me his name.
hi there, can I ask if you were put under or just had a local ? did it hurt, could you feel the cutting/stitching? i am nervous about the local, afraid I might move or jump and puncture my eye etc (sounds silly) ..anyone comment on this part of it?
The first time I felt nothing, and the second time I did not get enough Versad. Believe me, if you have enough of that, you won't be at all tense. Just make sure you do get enough Versad, and that you have a skilled surgeon. Check who nurses have for this type of surgery. You will not have anything to worry about if you have a skilled surgeon, and that sedative will make you so relaxed you won't worry about anything.
I was so nervous the first time, before Versad, the nurse asked me, "Do you normally shake this much?" She was a great nurse, and strangely enough, the doctor who botched up the bleph surgery did a very good job with the cataract surgery. He should not do bleph surgery!
I am sorry, I forgot to say that when I was so nervous I was shaking before the surgery, I had a skilled anestheseologist and a great nurse, and after the Versad, I didn't care about anything, and was totally relaxed..wish I could be that relaxed all the time. My blood pressure and blood sugar ( I am diabetic) even went down.
Hello! My surgery was performed under local. I had the same concerns that you had, but I couldn't feel anything and surprisingly, even though I was nervous, I was able to relax with the help of a valium that was prescribed for me to take 45 mins before the procedure. I could feel my lids being pulled when the stitches were put in, but not any pain. Good luck to you.
thank you guys for the quick replies..i had asked if i could take a mild sedative like a lorazapam and he said it would be ok, but he never offered valium or anything like that (never heard of Versad before).. i think i will contact him and see if he could give me something stronger, i know i had something when getting out wisdom teeth and it was just a blur which is fine by me! Also for them to say it will only be about a week off work is likely not very accurate I'm guessing.. sounds like you guys were off a lot longer?
http://www.paneye.com/amarillocataract/cl_anesthesia.html Hope this helps some.
Hi snwarren 52, I think your eyes look fabulous! I too live in Columbus Ohio & recently(2 weeks ago) had upper blepharoplasty & so far feel like my PS was too conservative with skin & fat removal. I still have quite a bit of excess skin & don't really have much "eyelid". My PS said as swelling continues to go down I will start to see more eyelid, but this doesn't really make sense to me, especially since day by day I keep seeing less & less lid as the swelling is subsiding. Would you mind telling me who your PS was? I think your eyes are beautiful, & I might just change surgeons if revision ends up being necessary.
i had a local with a relaxant - it was really fine..I didnt feel a thing dont worry - much better than being put right out. Its only a wee bit of skin!
you need more than that if you dont want anyone to know!!! i had 6 weeks of visible puffiness and bruising...some people have less but at least 2 weeks anyway
I had local and didn't feel a thing I'm generally sensitive too and a bit jumpy but they also gave me a calming pill so I don't really remember much!
Hello bella2077. Thank you so much for the compliment! My PS was Steven Robinson at Ohio Plastic Surgeons. The office is located on Sawmill Rd and the number is 326-4661. I hope all turns out well for you and you end up with the results you were hoping for.
had sedatives the first time, which had no effect. Went natural the second time..no pills. I think the numbing shots were the worst part, but well worth it to get the results. And I HATE shots. After the shots took effect, there was just tugging feelings. Just talk yourself thru it, and picture yourself on the beach. The prodecure does not take too long. Prayed for God to guide my docs hands.
I was off two weeks but had to wear glasses for about 3 months at least because of the swelling...but it goes down at about 6 months.
This type of surgery unless for medical reason should be criminalized,or at least heavily regulated
I agree with you. MIne was for medical reasons, and it was a horrible ordeal!! After having the botched up eye corrected by a skilled surgeon, things are much better, but I sure did suffer.
these surgeons should be sued, prohibited from causing pain and misery and maybe be put in jail
well, it is mostly done for medical reasons, my eyelids were so bad that it obstructing my vision. Now I can drive at night and I don't look tired all the time.
my bleph surgery did not go well. The right eye cannot be corrected, but the left one can. I made sure I got another doctor. Can you believe the one who goofed up was board certified? I used to think that meant you could rest assured if they were board certified, but in this case, it didn't mean much. I am quite sure the next surgery will go better, because the doctor I will have the next time has done a lot of this kind of surgery, and nurses have had him do their surgery who work at his eye center. Stupid me, I should have known to have gotten him in the first place.
Yes, I am 2 months plus post op and healing is still going on. My eyelids finally close properly!!!
Some swelling is still there however and my eyelids still hurt if I touch them...hang on i n there girls!!! It just takes MUCH lomger than we are told...