Successful Resurgery - Columbus, OH

I asked a question on RealSelf, which you can read...

I asked a question on RealSelf, which you can read here. Unfortunately I am unable to reply to the Plastic Surgeons responses, so I am doing so here. I find it interesting to re-read my question and read the responses, because most of the Dr's did not perceive my question as communicated. I was not concerned about losing my cleavage, I was concerned my cleavage looking odd after downsizing to a smaller implant than was in my original "pocket".

I did discuss it with my surgeon, but also wrote here hoping to get some different perspectives. One responding surgeon thought I wanted a breast reduction? That's disconcerting since my post was very explanatory that he came up with that conclusion. I also have a comment for the surgeon that suggested that I not micromanage the process. You are completely wrong and that is a thoughtless thing to say.

Let me explain, I should have micromanaged the process more the first time! I wanted 300's, my (female) surgeon INSISTED because of my frame (chest wall, height, shoulder width) that 375's were more appropriate. I was given samples, and I did the rice equivalent and felt they were too large. The day before the surgery, I called and tried to persuade her to do 275 or 300's and she talked me back into the 375's. In the end, I was not happy with the 375's, they were too large.

I respect my surgeon, and her opinion and she's an amazing surgeon, but I am writing here so other potential patients trust their instincts when it comes to size. A little bit more about me, to help prospective enlargement patients. At the time of my original surgery I was 39, 5'8", 135 pounds and barely an A cup. Post surgery I was an E cup (!!!!!) with a 375 implant. I didn't want to look like a bimbo, I just wanted a little something to actually put in a B cup bra and fill out a blouse. I got way too much!

Luckily in 2008 I was in a car accident that resulted in a deflation. I downsized to a 325, but today I still measure out to a DD cup. Honestly, I wish I had downsized to a 300. To be fair, I feel I should share my surgeons perspective for her push-back on the size. I am tall, have broad shoulders and was a swimmer. My chest wall is proportionate to my shoulders and she felt the diameter of a 275 to 300 would be far too small for my frame. I want to call your attention to the word DIAMETER of the implant. The way implants are manufactured DIAMETER drives the cc - you can't really get a 275 in a 12 cm implant, it would probably look weird. When surgeons are sizing you they really select the cc size of the implant by picking the implant that fits your chest wall the best by the diameter. This is where the 'conflict' occurred between what I wanted (just a little something to finally put in a bra) and what my surgeon felt would look best aesthetically on my chest (diameter wise).

I didn't understand the 'conflict' between our perspectives at the time of the original surgery or I would have pushed harder for 275's. In conclusion, I am happier with my 325's, but will probably change them down to 275's if I require another re-surgery. The size difference for the 50 cc's is much more appropriate for me, but still about 50 too big.

Have you noticed loose skin since you downsized? Are you worries about it of you go down again?
I'm really sorry you got boobs that didn't work out for you.
Hi PittsburghGrl! No, loose skin at all. I think because I was so small before the surgery, so my breast skin had only been stretched out for 6 years (original surgery 2002, resurgery in 2008. I should also mention that I have good skin, no stretch marks from weight fluctuations etc. I think loose skin could most certainly occur, but I think it is more because of your skin type.

I look forward to downsizing again probably to 275s, but I am quite happy with the 325's for now. Even though I measure a 34DD, I can wear a 36B in my preferred bra style which makes me happy.

The 375's made me look matronly. The 325's are a more appropriate size. One of my original concerns was the smaller implant in the larger pocket. My surgeon said she may have to stitch the pocket smaller (on the outside), but after the surgery said said that had not been required. They look as they should. There is a larger gap between my breasts than before (naturally because of the smaller diameter implants, but it does not look unnatural or excessive. In fact, they look more natural than the 375's did (by far) and are much perkier. 375's weigh a lot and if I had had them much longer I think I would have had permanent sagging.

Thank you for sharing your story and feedback here. I'm sure it will help many women going for breast augmentation or breast implant revision!

Sullivan Centre

There is no better in Columbus