Breast Reduction with a Huge Complication - Columbus, OH

I have large breast all my life, I was a 38E. I...

I have large breast all my life, I was a 38E. I have been contemplating breast reduction for the last 5 years, decided to finally move forward, after dealing with a great deal of back pain. I had my surgery on May 3rd, the day after my surgery my breast was very bruised. Saw the PS the following Monday, not only was it bruised I had bled into the tissue, I now have a VERY LARGE open wound, I am an emotional mess. My PS has been very responsive when I have called. The area that bled, which again was quit large, had to be debreded today and it looks awful. My surgeon said he has never had something like this occur, he has seen small areas, nothing like this. I am so frustrated and disappointed, the PS assures me that I will be fine and happy once it heals which he feels will be months.

so things are looking much better thats great girl im glad ur doing better...
Thanks.
Thank you!! It helps make the decision easier when someone else has gone thru the same thing...

Thank you!
Lissa78,
I would definitely recommend the skin graft best decision I made I fought it then after 3 1/2 weeks on would vac, and little progress I gave in and within 2 weeks was pretty much healed. Best wishes!
Im going thru the same thing as Lites29. My PS just told me that I need to have a skin graft or wound vac. I'm 6weeks post-op and this is so frustrating!! Would you recommend the wound vac? Or just end it & do the skin graft?? I'm just worried this will happen again.. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated??

Thank you!
I Bled after surgery and the tissue died, I had a large open wound, after weeks on a wound vac I had a skin graft the right breast is now healed just looks very very different front the breast that didn't have a problem. I have no back pain or neck pain really happy about that. I wish things had been different and and I didn't bleed. Thanks for checking in.
hi Lites just checking in on you see how you are doing i hope better i just read a post you siad you have a deformed breast omg how did that happen is one just bigger then the other one or what i am so frightend a little im hoping things work out for the best have a blessed one....
Hi Lites i just came across your profile!! So aorry to hear! I hope and oray since last posting ypu are doing somewhat better! Prayers that once the healing starts you feel better and it speeds up!! Prayers!
Hey, any news on ur surgery date? I was thinking about you the other day. I am doing better, had to have a skin graft done, about 10 days ago so far so good. Emotionally have ups and downs. Will have a deformed breast, yet I am trying to look at it as thinks could be far worse, I have had several friends with breast cancer and they have endured way more than myself. God Bless you for checking in. Let me know when ur surgery is.
hey girlie long time no hear how are you doiong just came into to check on you so how is the wound healing honey how are u feeling please keep in touch godbless
Good luck Monday, let me know ur surgery date. Has insurance already approved ur reduction? Getting insurance approval is what takes so long. My date was set at the first appt bc I had made my mind up I was moving forward no matter whether insurance approved or didn't approve it. I went from a 38DDD to 38C, what are u starting at and wanting to go to? Yes I am in a bra, no one can see the wound, luckily the wound is underneath. The only thing people can see is this huge wound vac they have on me 24/7 that I have to carry around and the tubing that is hanging out. LOL My wound is closing very slowly even with the wound vac. Saw my PS yesterday he may do something different I see him again on Monday, will find out then.
thats wonderful girl sorry i havent responded.... but yeah im praying for faster healing ummm so overall you feel great or really great you cant tell anything with a bra on though right or are you in bras yet or what.... my appt is finally on monday wish me luck for a fast surgery date ill talk to you soon or leave a message anytime godbless....
Emotionally I am better the wound has not changed in size it is going to be a long road ahead they are estimating 3-4 months. By how does my husband feel about the breast reduction in general or the complication. He was very supportive of my decision to go ahead with the breast reduction. As far as the complication he has been very supportive, he just keeps telling me to be patient.
yes well it sounds like everyday your doing better how does your husband feel about this
ok well thank you for your post if you go on my page you can see how big the girls are i really need a breast reduction so bad ia cant wait im just waiting for the surgery date girl i wish june 4th would hurry up and get here so at least can know the surgery date i hope it wont be far away wish me luck and i pray for fast recovery stay in touch godbless..
You are less than a week away now, it will be here before you know it. You will be amazed you won't wake up with back pain, or at least I didn't, the pain in my back is gone and was the very next day. My husband and I talked about the pics, we are photoing everything. I am thinking about doing a journal type thing after this thing is closed. Have a fun long weekend. Thank you for your prayers. I appreciate it.
wow i am so sorry to hear this i have a breast reduction coming up soon i find out my surgoery date on june 4th and this story has really discouraged me but i am praying that i dont go threw this and im so sorry you had too this is crazy i never heard of nothing like this in my life i pray all is well how are you feeling know that it is a couple weeks ummmm can you put a pic up i would really like to see it thanks and what would you suggest to others not to do it or to do it...
mshill
Don't be worried, this happens 1 % out of thee 1000's done year . I was just unfortunate to bleed in the tissue after surgery, being a nurse bleeding is a very rare risk with any surgery. I am sure you will be fine. My surgeon has never seen it happen in his 27 years of practice and he is out of town and the surgeon covering for him said the only time he had seen it was when he was in residency 25 years ago. I am now on a wound vac, it hasn't done anything yet however the doc I saw Tuesday said until the inflammation went down the vac would not respond much but once the inflammation is gone it should work quickly.
My left girl looks great, I have no more back pain, it really was instant relief. As far as what I wold tell other I don't really know what I would say right now, though I am pretty sure once all this heals I will be most happy I did it. My neighbor down the street is having hers on the 29th, we each didn't know the other was even thinking about it she leaves many houses down from me and we really don't see each other much, just usually if out walking our dogs. To ease your mind just think I was the 1 % it happened to and you are good to go. (not trying to be flipinit about it, just trying to have you look at things positive and try not to be too anxious.) I think you will be very happy you did it. My prayers will be with you. The wound is so GROSS, I will think about posting it. It may just cause you more anxiety. Please try and stay positive! You can get back to me anytime. Here is my email Bmama@columbus.rr.com Have a Blessed Day
Thanks for responding, I had seen that sight. My wound is so, so so much worse! My doc derided it yesterday, it goes from the bottom of my nipple all the way down to the incision he made under the breast and is about 2 1/4 inches wide, you can actually see fat I am so frustrated, months and months of recovery seems so far away. almost 2 weeks post op now.

Just hang in there and know this will get better.  The bruising can be pretty ugly and will last a while.  Mine were every color under the rainbow for about 4 weeks.  Then when the bruising is gone they get red.

Keep a close eye on this and make sure to keep everything clean and dry.  Frustrating I know but you will heal.  I am sorry you are going through this though.

There is some totally awesome support here in the breast reduction community and I know you will connect with others who have gone through the same thing.

Keep us up to date on your progress.

Hi there,

I'm so sorry you're experience so many problems healing! You might want to check out this lady's post who had a large open wound under her breast after a lift. Please keep us posted on how you're healing. Sounds like a tough time. Very tough indeed.