Not Happy with Scar. Unrealistic Expectations?-Columbia, SC

Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations. This was...

Perhaps I had unrealistic expectations. This was my first surgery to remove a basal cell lesion. I am grateful that the lesion has been removed but I am very disappointed with the cosmetic results.

Two days after I had the stitches removed from the skin graft, the lower rim separated. I got wonderful advice from this site which I followed. I called the answering service and my surgeon just happened to be on call. He had me come in two days later to have a look. He had a look and said it was fine so off I went with confidence and relief.

I noticed more and more that it appeared the whole graft had migrated upward. Now there is a pile of tissue in the corner of my eye. It is hard as a rock. There's also a black spot in middle of it which I assume will go away.

I can't afford cosmetic surgery. I shouldn't have hoped for more. My surgeon is qualified to do Mohs and has terrific credentials. I am blessed to have him. I guess I'll know what to expect if I have it again.

What about Dr. Chow
Dr. B. Carlin in Lexington is very good with scar revision from MOH's surgery and can also perform MOH's. Dr. Quan at Carolinas Dermatology is the best MOHs surgeon in town, I worked there for 3 years. His partner Dr. Blaskis is excellent also. I can pretty well guess who did your surgery and I'm so sorry you had this experience.
I have not had the surgery yet. I am scheduled with Dr. Chow. I was told he is good and has done it for 25 years. Do you have a comment about him. Please share before I have it done. Thank you
I am going to have mohs done on my upper ear area. I live in the columbia SC area can someone contact me or give the dr name here. Thank you
Dr. Quan at Carolinas Dermatology
Outrageous that the surgeon does not meet with his patients until SIX months after surgery was performed!!
Yes, I agree. You have been through a lot. Your surgeon should correct it, or you need to research to find someone who will do it right. It must obstruct your vision. My doctor would not hesitate to correct it, but would have never sent me away with my complaint either... she has had many years of practice at Mayo in this area and is a perfectionist. So lucky to have her here! Feel bad when others do not have many good choices.
I am sorry but I cannot help wonder why if the surgeon was did a skin graft , which sounds like cosmetic surgery to me, you had such a poor result.
Hope you are well now. How has your recovery been...your scar? I have Mohs surgery scheduled for Monday for the same exact area on my face. I have to say, that area of skin is so thin that I am really concerned. I appreciate any comments/suggestions from you. Thank you!

Hi salazar,

I'm glad you are getting help with Mohs, you will be in the communities thoughts on Monday. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

-Britt

I haven't checked each one listed but all from Columbia,SC seem to be inactive. That's not surprising. SC isn't exactly a mecca for great medical care.

I feel you, I too grew up in a "mecca" of a town too. :) Well, I would at least check the others and maybe just call and see what they say. Or even check on in the Q&A and see if you can chat with one of our doctors there. Keep me updated.

-Britt

Black spots can be where tissue has died. Even the best Moh's surgeons can have the unexpected happen.
I'm not sure I can get through the cadre of PA's to communicate my concerns directly to the surgeon. The normal procedure for his office is to have no follow up at all with the surgeon after the actual surgery and just to follow up with my dermatologist in 6 months. I didn't know what to expect, how it should look, how it should heal, etc. I insisted on seeing my dermatologist sooner and was reluctantly set up for 4 weeks. It just all seems odd to me. Perhaps that's the direction health care is headed. Any wisdom on that is appreciated! Thanks for your concern and I will give an update after the appointment.

What about making an appointment with a different dermatologist? Like one from our site that people have been to and liked?

Hi 221641anon,

Sorry to hear about what's going on. Would you be able to ask your surgeon to fix this? Please keep me updated.

Thanks,