Just had a touch-up done yesterday!

 So the week has finally arrived and I am...

 So the week has finally arrived and I am getting more nervous as the day gets closer.  I'm hoping for a fast recovery and great results. AHHH!

I had my consult this past Monday 3/15/2010. The...

I had my consult this past Monday 3/15/2010. The doctor and staff were very professional. My surgery is scheduled on 4/2/2010.

I'm a little bit nervous after reading some of these reviews. I really hope I get the results I'm wanting. I'm getting my lower abs and flanks done.

I'll post before and after pics after I get the procedure done and let you all know how it goes for me. Wish me luck!

 Okay, now that I have some free time, I will...

 Okay, now that I have some free time, I will tell you all about how my procedure went:

First of all, I'm not going to lie, I was nervous about getting this procedure done after reading some reviews on this site. The day finally came (4/2/10) .... The first thing the doctor did was take my pre-op photos, then he drew on my abdomen, flanks, and back.  Then he had me take a percocet (pain killer). Afterwards, his assistant took me to this back room where she rubbed this warm lamp looking thing over my stomach, flanks, and back to warm up the cells. She said this helps the doctor go in easier. It felt really good... like a massage. 

It really helped calm me the fact that his assistant also had this procedure done by him. She was very honest. She told me that it's not a pain-free procedure, but it's also not too painful. So in other words, it will hurt a little, but not a lot. After that, she walked me into the surgery suite where she cleaned me up with a solution around my stomach, flanks, and back. I then layed down on the surgery table where the doctor started to drape me. There was no turning back now!

The doctor and his assistant were so kind. They made me feel so comfortable. The doctor asked me what kind of music I liked and he would play it during the procedure. I told him that he should choose since he's the one doing the procedure. ha. And the best part was that my husband was able to be with me during the entire procedure! He sat right behind me. 

So the first thing the doctor did was inject me with lidocaine (numbing stuff) and I didn't  even feel the needle go in. Then he made 2 incisions above my pubic area where he then placed in two ports so he can put his instruments through. The first cannula he used was this metal looking rod. I don't know what it's called, but I'm pretty sure this is how he put in all the numbing cream in and the saline as well. The saline will bloat you up as if you were pregnant. While he did that he had this vibrating probe on me while he was numbing me up with the cream and inserting saline. This was a little uncomfortable because it made this awful noise that apparently only I could hear. It sounded like a hearing aide was going off. He said only I could hear it bc it's in my body. Sometimes this cannula or whatever it was called, would pinch me inside, but it's a quick pinch and thats all. Nothing too painful. 

After my fat cells were separated and all, he got the suction cannula and started suctioning it all out. This didn't hurt at all. It tickled more than anything. And his assistant would massage my arms during this procedure to relax me. She was also very kind. After the suctioning, came the laser where the doctor would burn the fat cells in me. This doesn't hurt either. 

Then he had me roll onto my stomach while he did the same thing to my flanks/back. He also made 2 incision (1 in each outer thigh) and one right above my but crack. Total of 5. And the same process was repeated.

All in all, it took 5 hours to complete. About 1900 cc's of fat was taken out (2 suction cups were about full). 

Getting up from the surgery table was probably the hardest part. I think it was hard for me bc I didn't eat breakfast and I took a painkiller before the procedure so I did feel nauseous and I was light headed, weak, dizzy, blurry vision. So the doctor immediately laid me back down and raised me legs. He then checked my pulse which was low. He had me lay there for a while and he got me some pretzyls, nutrition bar, and water. That helped a lot. Finally I was able to get up and the doctor and his assistant helped me into my spanx, which by the way, buy the one that un-do from the bottom! He had placed maxi-pads over my incisions for drainage.

My doctor sent me home with a bag of maxi-pads (for drainage), bacitracin to go over my incisions, and arni-care for bruising, as well as, drapes to sleep on. 

I wasn't really in any pain. I took the day easy like my doctor told me to, as well, as the following day. 

Day 2: I was really sore. Mostly around my back. My doctor told me that him and I were going to have this love/hate relationship between each other. lol. He said the day after the surgery I'd love the way I look. Then the next couple of days or weeks, the swelling and bruising will come and I'd hate him. Also, I didn't have much of an appetite...which isn't a bad thing, right?

Day 3: Back is still really sore. I've been having my husband massage it about twice a day. No bruising yet, but the swelling has arrived. Still, no appetite.

Day 4: Very tender and sore around my low abdomen/flanks/back. Starting to swell more. No bruising yet. I have been taking the pain killers. They've helped with the soreness and with sleep. And yet, no appetite.

I also asked when can I start running and he said not for another month because he doesn't want any pounding. But walking was okay! So I walk everyday to get my muscles going.

I hope my experience has helped many of you. Every body is different. 

It's been 2 years now and I had a touch up done...

It's been 2 years now and I had a touch up done yesterday on my lower abdomen and flanks and also had my upper abdomen added. I have been told numerous times that the touch up would hurt more than the first time. Boy he wasn't kidding! It was WAY more painful than the first time. The first time was, it was more of an uncomfortable feeling, but bearable. However, this second time was so painful I cried my eyes out. The most painful part was when he was entering the numbing cream and saline into my area of interest. The suctioning part wasn't as bad. He also stated that my recovery time will be longer as well. I don't regret doing this touch-up, but I don't think I could handle the pain again. I'm praying that the results turn out very well. I didn't take any before shots, but the doctor did, so once I get those pictures I will upload them. The touch-up cost $1000, but with the added upper abdomen, my total cost was $3000. The staff was once again very great and really helped me through the entire surgery.
Dr. Carter

Very professional Doctor and staff. I felt very at home and they worked very well around my busy schedule. =)

5 out of 5 stars Overall rating
5 out of 5 stars Doctor's bedside manner
5 out of 5 stars Answered my questions
5 out of 5 stars After care follow-up
5 out of 5 stars Time spent with me
5 out of 5 stars Phone or email responsiveness
5 out of 5 stars Staff professionalism & courtesy
5 out of 5 stars Payment process
5 out of 5 stars Wait times
Was this review helpful? 5 others found this helpful

Comments (24)

Sort by

Loved your blow by blow, Nienie. Glad he is nice, going to set up an apt and see if he can work some miracles!
  • Reply
hi. im thinkn about getting the smartlipo but need help choosing a doctor. yours seem to have done weel. what doctor did yu use ?
and why did yu get a touch up two weeks later does the first time around not work ?
yu look great btw
  • Reply
I think every one is different when it comes to drainage. I drained way more the second time than the first time I had this done. It's day number 6 now and I'm still having a little bit still drain, but it's more of a spot. It's normal to look bigger than right after the procedure, it's due to swelling. My doctor would always tell me "you're going to love me afterwards, then you're going to reallly hate me for awhile, then you'll love me again." haha I'm swollen too right now. It's going to take about 2-3 months for the final result.
  • Reply
I just had lipo done on my tummy and flanks and had alot of drainage, over 7 days?? I also feel like my stomach got bigger than the first 2 days from surgery is that normal?
  • Reply
My touchup made a big difference in my body. It was a very different experience from the first, but it was worth every ounce of pain.
  • Reply
Nienie your pics look great, I hope that is how mine will turn out!
  • Reply
What kind of compression garment are you wearing? You look GREAT by the way!!!
  • Reply
spanx from target. Try to buy the ones that you can undo from the bottom. This will make going to the bathroom a lot easier. =)
  • Reply
I had mine done on 4/6/10. I had SmartLipo on inner/outer thighs, flanks, lower abdomen. In addition to breast aug, c-section scar repair, and ear pinning. I've been "uncomfortable" (their word for pain) for almost a week now. I have a large amount of bruising, especially on my outer thighs, and my lower back is still very swollen and numb. Nothing hurts worse than my ears though! Anyone know how long the numbness will last?
  • Reply
maybe you had too much done in a day? However, my low back is still numb, swollen, and sore as well as my flanks. No bruising though. Hope you get to feeling better.
  • Reply
you look awesome! congrats. Hoping to do this procedure as soon as i find a good Doctor.
  • Reply
Totally worth it and yes, it's very important to find a good doctor. I went in today for my first follow-up and they were sooo surprised that I haven't bruised hardly at all and my swelling is to a minimum. Good luck on finding a doctor!
  • Reply
VERY pleased with my results. =) As above, I got my procedure done 4/2, and I'm back to work today 4/5. It's pretty rough, but I can make it through!!
  • Reply
I had mine on April 1st (April fools day) but this was the best April fools day ever. I went back to work today (April 5). Had a big day yesterday with Easter etc. Yes, very sore, but it's the "hurts so good" kind of pain! Good luck to those of you in recovery! Enjoy the ups and wishing you few "downs".
  • Reply
You look great too. You commented on mine, so I had to find yours and yours are great too. Isn't it such a relief to have good results after some of the bad stories you've seen/heard?!
  • Reply
I hope it goes well for you, I am on day 8 and stil swollen and bruised. I am still very uncomfortable. Still taking pain meds in the evening to sleep. Monday back at work?? Wow I hope youare bale to do this. I didi not even feel good until my 5 day to even move. I will be wishing you luck!
  • Reply
Thanks for the wishes. I'm really looking forward to it, esp. the results. Patricesic, I hope your procedure went well! Let me know how it went!
  • Reply
hi im going on the 5th, im 29 please can anyone tell me the truth here..lol..........so afraid
  • Reply
Nienie, The surgery went well, but I will tell you it was not what I thought as far as recovery. Everyone has a different level of pain tolerance, I guess mine is low. I had to take the meds for the first 4 days. It was very painful!!! But I could see the difference immediately. My husband had to help me in and out of bed, and to the bathroom every 2 hours to urinate. They pump you up like a fish with the Saline fluid. I bruise easy and was bruised all over by the very next morning. My pubic area and down my thighs are very swollen right now on day five. Doc says it is normal, and that I look good and he thinks it will look great in a bout 5 months. This procedure is very invaisive and no matter what they tell you it is surgery. Your body takes time to heal from the Trauma. My doctor said realisticly it takes about 4 to 6 months for the final result. And the numbness from the nerves will come back over time. I always wanted to have body contouring done, I am glad that I did it but I guess I did not expect it to be such a long healing process. And I am not in my 20's either so at 48 it may take longer for me. Please let meknow how you do. I will be praying for a fast recovery for you and just remember it is worth it and you will look beautiful when it is all saide and done..... ???
  • Reply
Thank you for getting back with me. I'm super excited about my surgery next week. I'm just really anxious to see the final result. I sure hope I get the results that I am looking for. And I pray for a fast recovery ... I'm getting this done on Friday and I have to be back to work Monday night. Eeek. And I have a wedding that I'm in 2 months after the procedure so I hope the swelling goes down enough by then for me to still fit in my bridesmaid's dress. haha
  • Reply
I am scheduled for the same procedure on the same day! April 2nd! Well I think it's the same procedure. I'm having lower abs and waist but I think that covers flanks. Anyway I look forward to seeing your before and after pics as I will be posting mine as well. Good luck to you!
  • Reply
hi,good luck,i am thinking to do that but i did my boobs and iam not happy with that ,just scarry to do another things and be thwe same way with my abdomen loike with breast,unhappy
  • Reply
I too am having smartlipo tomorrow 3/18/10. Upper abdoman lower and flanks. I am nervous but I think it will be worth it. I will let you know how I do after the procedure is over. I will post a blog a little later before my procedure
  • Reply
Good luck with your treatment! Hope it goes well for you.
  • Reply