Looking Forward to a Pain Free Life - Colorado

I have been thinking about this for a few years. I...

I have been thinking about this for a few years. I am a 40DD and ready to take the weight off my neck. I have degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my neck and am hoping this surgery will take the pressure off. I am working from home part time so I am able to take the time to recover. It is finally the right time to do this. I was initially denied by my insurance company but after 6 weeks and an appeal, they approved it. I am ready to go!

Congrats, Maria, on your approval! You and I are about the same size, depending on which brand bra I wear (anywhere from a 38DD to a 40DDD), so I feel confident that I will also be approved! Keep us posted on your journey!!
Thank you, when is your surgery scheduled?
Oops sorry, saw you said you are waiting for approval. I just had to get past physical therapists and chiropractors to submit their treatment notes and after that the insurance company approved it. I hope yours is approved soon!

After reading what feels like EVERY post on here,...

After reading what feels like EVERY post on here, I have a lot of new questions. My PS did not require a pre-op visit but I have scheduled one. They did not hesitate to give me another appointment so that was nice. They already gave me a prescription for Vicodin but I know my stomach is not going to tolerate that well after a day or two so I want to ask for the Tylenol 3 and get it before surgery day. I want to talk about anti-nausea meds they can give me before I wake up. They also said they can sell me an extra bra so I have two at home after surgery but I want to see it first. If it seems like it will not be comfortable then I want to go buy one of my own. I am so thankful for this site. It has given me tons of information my PS did not share with me. Just reading about everyone's surgery has taken away a lot of the mystery. I have only had one minor procedure done before so this will be my first real surgery. Thanks everyone for being so open and sharing the details!

I had percocet with an anti nausea. I didn't really need it after day 2. I took Ex Strength Tylenol. They put something for nausea in my IV also. The bra they put on me at my Post Op Appt. I liked it but it was the same one I got at Kmart for half the price. I'm sure they will listen to all your concerns and you will do great!
Thanks so much! I feel better with things as under control as I can manage. If I really don't have any questions left on surgery day I think I will be less nervous. Every now and then I freak out. : )

Now that I have read everything and met a few...

Now that I have read everything and met a few people who had this done, here is my list of supplies I have.
Zip up sport's bra
Button up pi's
Zip up robe
Hibiclens per the Dr.
Miralax
Benadryl in case of severe itching
I got Mepitac tape - I researched this one because I am pretty sensitive to adhesive and this was highly recommended if the surgical tape bothers me
Kelo-cote Scar gel
Palmer's Scar oil
Some large surgical pads if I need them.
I have a big wedge pillow but it might be too large so I will dig up all the pillows I can find around the house.
I want to take the Arnica but will double check with my Dr. to clear it with him before I buy it.
Let me know if I missed anything! : )

Thanks so much!
Straws for drinking and some form of entertainment...that book you've been wanting to read, or DVD that you really want to see, etc. Easy to digest foods like bananas and cottage cheese, antibacterial soap like Safegard Antibacterial for use in the shower after surgery. Sounds like you are ready to go!
Are you having lipo? If you are, I rubbed Arnica Cream on my bruises. Your 2nd pix they look much bigger. That bra did do a pretty good job. You will be amazed as they will not be touching your belly. I have a scar on my belly that I could never see. It's weird to look down and see it. You are going to have so much relief! I have been coming from from work and I have no shoulder pain. It's a great feeling! Your supplies look good. Do you have a zip or button or shirt for surgery day?

I went to my pre-op appt. today. This was not...

I went to my pre-op appt. today. This was not required, I asked for one more appt. before the surgery on April 23. I had some new questions. I wanted him to look at me again and tell me more about what he will do. He did the markings on me so I could see exactly where things will end up. He will do some areola reduction. He thinks he will remove between 1.000 and 1,200 grams! That sounds like so much! I felt so nervous but he was really nice about answering all my questions. I asked about Arnica Montana (homeopathic dosage for surgery from SINECCH). He said he didn't really feel it made a difference but didn't object. Has anyone here used the 4 day Arnica tablets? He also gave me a prescription for Zofran for nausea. I am super sensitive to meds like Vicodin so hopefully the Zofran will prevent me from feeling bad. I am really glad I asked for one more appointment. I feel better knowing exactly what to expect. I don't think I have ever taken pictures of my breasts like this before. They look so huge in the pictures! I guess we just get so used to them we don't see them that way. I am feeling more excited about how much my life will change after this! : )

Hi Marla! I am having my surgery on the same day in Pensacola,Fl April 23,2012 I am so exci
excited about it.
That's great! One more week! I am going to keep myself busy so I don't start getting nervous!

Well tomorrow is the big day. I am nervous but...

Well tomorrow is the big day. I am nervous but trying to keep busy so I don't think about it. Cleaning and grocery shopping to get everything ready. I keep thinking maybe I don't need to do this but I know I do, sigh. Hard to control the thoughts. I am prepared in every way possible so nothing left to do but wait. I will update as soon as I can. Thanks everyone for all the info and pictures, it has really helped a lot!

Hello Marla, sending prayers your way!!! It is now our time, are you ready??
Ready as I will ever be! Take care and hope to hear from you soon!
Thank you Apple and Kimmers!

I am home. Everything went really well and I have...

I am home. Everything went really well and I have very little pain. I look so different already! I will post more tmw with pictures.

Yay, Marla! Glad you're home and well! Can't wait to see pics!

Day 1 - Things are going really well. My PS and...

Day 1 - Things are going really well. My PS and his staff were really great. I was in surgery for about an hour and 45 min. I woke up quickly which is what I wanted. The only other time I have had general anesthesia I had a hard time waking up and horrible nausea. This time it went very smoothly. I did feel nauseas but didn't throw up.
I have no drains and no steri strips. Just gauze all around and then the bra they put on me. They feel hard but not overly swollen. I am taking the Arnica Montana homeopathic meds and maybe that is helping. Today I can feel the stitches more but it just aches, not really painful. I am so glad about that!
So he took out 1,000 grams on the left and 1,200 on the right. They seem really small. It almost feels weightless! I am so glad I did this. I think it will really change my life. I go on Wednesday to change the bandages so I can't see them until then. All in all I feel good and sleeping propped up in bed has been fine. Let me know if you have other questions, I have learned so much from this site and am happy to share the details. : )

Glad you are home and in not too much pain. I had my BR done on April 2nd and I am so pleased with the results. You look amazing in your after pic even with the bra on.....what a difference. Keep well!!

Oh my gosh! With that much weight removed you are going to feel so much better! That's like 5 pounds off of your chest...can you believe it? Glad to hear you are doing well and sleeping rather comfortably! Can't wait to see what you think after your appointment tomorrow!
Hey Marla, so glad that you are doing very well, praying for a speedy and uneventful recovery!

Day 3 -Not sure how people are counting. Day 1 is...

Day 3 -Not sure how people are counting. Day 1 is surgery day and now I am on Day 3. Had my post op appt. today. Dr. said I am healing really well. It just looks scary. All the big meds have worn off and now all I am taking is Vicodin. I felt really emotional when they took the bandages off. I think the size and shape will be great. It is just weird to look in the mirror and see a different body! My stomach area is really swollen, they said that is normal from the anesthesia and will take some time to go away. I have been eating really healthy, no salt and not dairy. Trying to keep the swelling down. I just have to take it easy and go back next wednesday, he will snip off the end of the dissolvable stitches. I have no tape, just gauze and the bra. I am cleared to take a shower but I think I will wait until tmw. I am so glad I did this! I think by next week I will be feeling less worried and more excited. : )

I know Marla! When I look at my own photos (only have "before" of course!), I can't believe how big and SAGGY I am. I honestly think your brain protects you from the reality - lol! Keep recovering and don't overdo it. Thinking of you.
Marla: You look TERRIFIC!! If you have a less than great day over the next week or so, just think of all those cute summer tops (spaghetti straps - yippeee!!!) and dresses that you used to walk right on by that you will now be able to slip on and actually WEAR. Can you IMAGINE how that is going to feel!? You didn't just lose all that landfill from your chest, you just lost about 10 years from your wardrobe! You already have me jealous as hell...bandages, surgical bra and all!
Thank you! I feel pretty good. The pain isn't too bad. He took more off my right side and that side is a lot more sore. I don't care though. Like you said I am a different person! I can't wait to go shopping. I even have things in my closet that are too tight and now they will fit! I look at those pictures of me marked up and I cannot believe I was really that big. You just get so used to it. These bra straps are just sitting on my shoulders, no pulling whatsoever. My Dr did a great job and I am so excited. You will be so happy you did it. I read what you said about the anesthesia. They gave me a little patch behind my ear that I kept on for 2 days. I really helped me with the nausea. I know they also did what they could during surgery to manage the meds because I told them I get very sick from it. When I woke up I felt a little sick but never threw up. I had some water and crackers, felt a lot better and went home. Having babies was 10 times harder than this! Good luck to you!

Well I am doing pretty well. Not too much swelling...

Well I am doing pretty well. Not too much swelling and the bruises are fading fast. Tried to take a shower last night. It was a little scary. Without the bra and gauze I felt very unsupported and shaky. So today I went to the woman who cuts my hair and she washed and dried my hair for me. That felt great! I have not had a BM since Sunday so I took two doses of the milk of magnesia over the past two days and finally had a BM today. Whew I was getting worried. I have been careful to eat things that will be easy on my stomach. Here is my protein smoothie recipe, don't worry, the spinach ends up tasting really sweet.
1 ½ cups Almond Milk
1 tablespoon flax seed
1 banana
½ cup of frozen blueberries
handful of spinach
I am just taking it easy and will go back to the Dr on Wednesday to have the two ends of the stitches snipped off.
Hope everyone is doing well!

Wow! Marla, you look amazing. I'm still waiting on my insurance approval, but have been reading your updates daily. I hope my BR looks as good as yours. Does Dr. say, what size you might be when all the healing is done?
Hi there! Well he has been very non-committal since the beginning. He doesn't want to discuss size because the Dr. cannot promise you a size. When I was getting ready to go into surgery he asked me if I wanted him to err on the small or large side. I said small. They have to make sure the blood supply will be good. I have not had a lot of swelling but I don't want to try on bras yet. The stitches are sensitive and just changing the bandages is enough irritation for me to stand. I really don't have a much pain at all but I don't want to aggravate anything. I can't wait to try things on and see what size I will be. For now I am in the bra he gave me 24/7.

Day 8 - Last monday was my surgery and I am doing...

Day 8 - Last monday was my surgery and I am doing ok. Today was frustrating. I feel like my bruises are fading but when I look at the pictures it doesn't look like it. My left breast has an ugly bruise underneath and the incision is really dark compared to the other breast. I sent a picture to the nurse today and she said it looks ok but I could put Polysporin on it if it would make me feel better so I did. I know it has not been long and everyone heals differently but I sure wish this was looking better. I tried to do some work on the computer today but my attention span and energy level is low. I go back to the PS on Wednesday and I think if he tells me everything looks normal, I will feel a lot better. A few people on here have mentioned feeling really emotional at the one week mark and that seems to be happening to me. I am trying to stay positive. Here's hoping tomorrow will be better!

Hope you are feeling better today, Marla. I will be anxious to hear what your doctor says tomorrow. Good luck!
I will let you know what he says and get a new picture.
: )
Oh man, I just lost a long reply (gr-r-r-r). Anyhow, I wanted to say that you look great so soon, too! As far as the tape goes, I would most certainly check it out - many people here and on other forums swear by using the tape, because it keeps air from coming into contact with the scars and prevents them from building up great amounts of scar tissue. There are a lot of different tapes out there, so please look into using it. Good luck, keep us posted, and continue to rest and baby yourself --- your body is only just beginning the difficult process of healing itself! Hugs, Jacquie

I went to my 10 day post-op appointment today. He...

I went to my 10 day post-op appointment today. He snipped off the two external stitches. Glad those things are not poking at me anymore. He said everything is healing perfectly. Said the bright red bruise is ok and will go away. I still need to take it easy. No raising my arms above my head or lifting anything. I go back in 5 weeks. I feel a lot better that he was happy with my progress. He said I can come back before the 5 week mark if I have any concerns. Now I just have to be patient while everything continues to heal. It is hard to not get back to my regular routine but I want everything to heal properly.

So glad your doctor was happy and pleased with your progress. That has to be a huge relief! Now just give yourself permission to take it easy and rest frequently these next few weeks and before you know it you will be back to your old routine.
You look great. Your belly looks smaller too! So happy for you!
Hi Marla I had my surgery the same day as you ! My PS also did some lipo on the sides beneath my armpits. I thinks that feels the most sore. I'm having a hard time lifting my right arm up all the way. It feels like it's tugging my right breast. Both breasts but especially the right one, feels kind of hard. Probably due to still some swelling. I can't wait til they're all healed. I have a lot of numbness and am hoping that it will go away. So glad to have found this site !! Are you having any numbness ?

2 Weeks! - I can hardly believe two weeks has gone...

2 Weeks! - I can hardly believe two weeks has gone by. I am taking showers by myself now. I added some pictures. The red bruising is now yellow. The incision line under my breast still looks red and scary. Maybe I will add one of those but it is looking better each day. I am still having little drops of blood oozing out but since I didn't have drains the Dr. said this will happen for awhile longer. Almost all the scabbing is is gone now. Can you see that dark line on my belly? That is from my old bra rubbing on my skin! Hard to believe how much lift I got from this surgery! My breasts may soften up and fall a little but right now nothing is touching my belly. I really want to loose the belly fat now that my boobs are not hiding it anymore. Other than that I just have to be careful not to do too much or I swell up under my arms. Not my armpits but where the incisions go under my arms. My energy is coming back so it is hard to take it easy but I am being careful. All in all, things are coming together slowly but surely! I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Marla, I keep returning to your photos. I cannot believe the new you! It gives me so much hope. I keep thinking the PS will take a look at me and say, "sorry, nothing I can do." I know how silly that wounds, but there you have it. Yours did SUCH a beautiful job, you look like an entirely different person. I just can't imagine how wonderful (pain/discomfort etc. aside!) you feel!
Hi Piggles, don't worry, you will be so glad you did this. I do feel like a different person. The recovery has been a little distracting but I feel so weightless. I am so used to my bra making me uncomfortable and tired. I don't even think about it anymore. I honestly think if I had not had this done, I would have gone crazy. The daily pain and frustration with the weight of my breasts would have eventually sent me to the funny farm. I cannot wait to go bra shopping but I know it is too soon. I am still pretty swollen under my arms. My breasts are softening up and dropping a little which is great because they have been hard as a rock. I am measuring a D right now and I am really hoping that after this swelling goes away I will be a C. It is amazing to look forward to bra shopping instead of hating the idea. You will be excited too!
Marla2012,
Great pics!!!
Wonderful to hear your recovery is going so well.xX Your latest pics 2 weeks on look fab! What a great journey and thank you for giving such reassurance. Rest and heal. You look great now and i am sure you will look even better as each week goes by. Well done brave lady!! Love Debs- UK X X X X

3 weeks! The time has flown by! I am getting tired...

3 weeks! The time has flown by! I am getting tired of taking it easy but trying to be patient. My scabs are really falling off now. I added some pictures. It's just uncomfortable, nothing is really hurting anymore. I am getting those electric shock/zingers everyone has mentioned. Things are waking up and healing so that's good but sometimes it is a strong, shooting zinger that feels really weird! My energy level is ok but not great, I still get tired pretty easy. I am getting back to some light housework and able to go out to eat and walk more without having to take a nap after. You can see in my before pics that my right side was much bigger than my left. I was hoping he could get them more equal but it looks like my right side may end up being a bit bigger. That is ok though. I said in my first post that I wore a 40DD bra. But after looking at several websites, I was actually a 36 H. Now I am measuring a 36 D and once all the swelling is totally gone I could actually end up a C. So all in all I am thrilled to have those huge breasts gone and I can't wait for summer! This will be the first summer since high school when I did not feel like I had to cover everything up. Going out in public in a tank top or cami was simply out of the question but not anymore! Exciting things ahead!

Hi Marla. Just wanted to say that I hope you're continuing to feel better every day and you're fallen in love with the new girls! You looked terrific at the 3-week mark; hope you're feeling the same way!
Hi Piggles I am feeling better each day. I will post some new pictures soon. The most frustrating thing is my energy level is still low. If I have a busy day, the next day I am exhausted. Hopefully that will go away soon. Otherwise I feel great! Hope you are well too!
HI Marla, thanks for sharing so much. I had my surgery on the same day as you in Lebanon NH. I wish I had found this site earlier. Reading through many of the stories here has been helpful even if after the fact. Good to know some of my fears and feelings were not just me being crazy lol! I am 44 and was a 32DD and am hoping when all is over with healing/swelling I will be a B but so far measure as a solid D. Its been a bit depressing which is what sent me looking for answers on the net for how long b4 knowing my true size will be. I see that I just have to be patient on that question. I have been lucky about being able to rest but am getting so bad at it now that I am feeling better. I still get tired easy and rest a lot but do find myself doing more around the house, though I am very careful not to lift or reach. I want the best outcome possible so trying to be patient. Your Pics look great and I am so happy for you and your results. I am so looking forward to shopping in my own closet as well. There are lots of nice tops in there that used to be tight or nice dresses that I bought and thought I looked good in at the store only to get home and hate how the girls looked popping out the top or sides in my own mirror lol! Look forward to continue reading your posts and so happy for your sharing. Again thanks and glad you are doing so well.

Hello! I am now at the 4 month mark. Thank you for...

Hello! I am now at the 4 month mark. Thank you for the private messages and as promised, here are some new pictures. I feel so glad that I did this. Recovering was slower than I thought it would be but I am doing much better now. I had bruising and swelling for 2 months. Took awhile for it to all go away. My left side took longer than the right to heal and has a bit more scarring. I hope you all are doing well! Take care!

Hi Marla! So glad to hear that you are on the right side of this recovery thing! Hope you continue to feel well and that you are totally ejoying your new bod!
Thank you! I feel great!

Just added my 6 month picture. The scars on the...

Just added my 6 month picture. The scars on the sides are taking awhile to fade but the rest are doing really well. My skin has been sensitive and had a few little rashes break out. Otherwise things are going really well. I still feel like the shape on the sides could be better but I will be patient and see how it goes over the next few months. I feel great and still so glad I had this done!

The difference is amazing thank you for still posting and updating

It has been a year! I feel great and so glad I did...

It has been a year! I feel great and so glad I did this! I figured out that the Bio Oil was irritating my skin so I use it every other day and cocoa butter in between and it works great! I attached new photos, just took my bra off so the lines are from the bra. The side view you can see the white line of the scar. That is all that is left. It is flat now and compared to how it looked at first, this is a huge improvement. Also on the side view you can see at the bottom of the nipple where the scar is a bit bigger. That was actually my fault because that spot took a long time to close up and I let it get too dry instead of keeping the polysporin on it. So they are not perfect, one side was initially bigger than the other and still is a tiny bit. I am probably the only one who notices that! But I still wear a sleep bra at night, I just feel more comfortable with it on. I feel it has helped the shape. I got all the feeling back, it was slow but it all came back. Buying clothes has been so much fun and it feels great to exercise without any issues. I feel a lot better about myself and although the healing process was long, I am very happy I did this for myself. Good luck to all of you who are just getting started on this process!

Just had to comment and say how amazing your results are! All I can say is wow! :) If I get anywhere close to this kind of result I will be over the moon! :)
I am sure your results will be wonderful too! I know it is so hard to imagine how it will all look and you do have to be patient. I was really worried at first. It takes a long time for all the swelling to go away and for the final shape to settle in. Good luck and let me know how it goes! : )
Thank you everyone! Yes it does take a long time for all the swelling to go away. I read many posts here about wearing a bra everyday and at night too. It is very tempting to go braless for the day but I really do think it helps the healing, swelling and shape in the end. This is a big procedure and they really move things around. It takes time for everything inside to settle. I felt some weird lumpy things and kept going back to the Dr to be sure it was ok and it was fine. I was swollen under my arms for such a long time and I was worried that it would stay but around month 8 it was gone. : )
Dr. Gregory Liebscher

My Dr. was really wonderful. He answered my long list of questions at the pre-op appt. and took a lot of time with me before I went into surgery. The staff was also wonderful! The follow up care has been great. I couldn't have asked for more attention.