The First Day of the Rest of my Life - Colorado

So after years of wishing, I'm finally doing this....

So after years of wishing, I'm finally doing this. I am 45 years old, 5'7" and 125 lbs, currently barely 34A. I've been a runner for 20 years so eating right and fitness is a giant priority in my life. I also have 3 kids, an 11 year old daughter, a 13 year old son, and a 14 year old step son. I've been married to my wonderful and amazing husband for 1 year (second marriage for both of us). As a couple we love to run together, bike, hike, backpack, garden, and travel. So in considering a BA my priority is to make sure it doesn't effect the activities that I do. I understand and am prepared for the month or 2 months of recovery.

I've been reading the reviews on RealSelf for about a month and this has helped my get a grip on the reality of the recovery process and the mixed feelings that everyone has. I'm feeling excited but extremely nervous and I fear the regrets of going too big or too small. My intention is to go for between 250 and 300cc. I have a pre-op appointment on Thursday so I'll consider my PS recommendation and would possibly go up to 350cc. When I met with him last April he gave me some sizers to try on and he tried to encourage me to try the larger sizes but I really think I'll be one of the few women that would regret going too big. It has helped me tremendously to read everyone's reviews about their size choice!

My BIG reason for going for a more modest size is because of running. I worry that my breathing will be affected. Has anyone found this to be a problem when exercising?

My BA date is getting closer (Nov 16). I'm so...

My BA date is getting closer (Nov 16). I'm so glad to get to look at this site and read about everyone's recovery. All of the small details are important and help me know better what to expect. I'm feeling pretty anxious about everything and whether or not I'll regret having a BA at all. On the other hand I'm extremely excited about finally having the boobs that I've always wished for. My PS told me that they would worry if I wasn't a little nervous. I guess that means that if I'm not nervous then I don't know about the risks and recovery issues. That statement makes me respect my PS even more and I feel like they are being honest and up front about everything. I also trust my PS about giving me the size that is appropriate for my shape and stay within the C cup range.

I had my pre-op appt last Thursday and have all of my meds. I chose Vicodin over Percocet but I hope that I'm one of those that can get by with Tylenol. It seems so crazy to me that the Vicodin even came with 2 refills. Could anyone possibly need that much?

This is day 4 post-op and so far so good. I...

This is day 4 post-op and so far so good. I really just have the tightness in my chest and no unbearable pain. I only took half of a Vicodin twice. Tylenol is working fine thank goodness. I've also been taking the muscle relaxants but hope that I can go without them today. I ended up with 275cc and 300cc and am happy with the size so far. I feel like they are perfect for me! Now that the surgery is done the emotional rollercoaster seems to be over. Thank goodness for that! I was really dreading going too big.

I have a post-op appt this afternoon so I'll ask about massaging and moving my arms. This might sound stupid but I want to know if the implants can move out from under the muscle if I move the wrong way.

This is post-op day 11. I saw my PS a week ago now...

This is post-op day 11. I saw my PS a week ago now and he seemed very pleased with everything. He actually cleared me to do any "normal" daily activities. Nothing high impact. He had to clarify the high impact part since I want to run, that's still 4 weeks away, but I can bike. He also cleared me wear any bra or no bra. My next post op appt is at 8 weeks.

I am super happy with my results!!!! I love the size and feel really comfortable. The muscle contractions in my chest are taking some getting used to and I sometimes worry that I'm doing something to hurt the healing process. Another concern is that I'm 11 days post op and I still have the original tape on the incision site. My PS told me to leave the tape on until it comes off on it's own. He said the longer it's left on, the better it will heal. It's just pretty irritating and I think that's where most of my discomfort is coming from. So whenever the tape comes off I'm supposed to put on these silicone patches to help minimize the scar. (Thank you again silicone. LOL!)

Unexpected and other random thoughts so far.

1) I wore a anti-nausea patch behind my ear for 3 days and it worked great.
2) The anti-nausea patch messed up my vision so I went around with blurry eyes for a week (I guess it beats the nausea though).
3) I had no unbareable pain. Just tightness but it was managable
4) I had difficulty sleeping 2 days before surgery and 5 days after. Maybe it's from a combination of anxiety and the meds.
5) I'm glad I trusted my doctor. He has ALL the experience and expertise so trust his judgement for size and placement. I'm glad I showed him pictures of my ideal results.
6) I don't feel like I have rocks in my chest. They already feel natural.
7) Believe it or not I feel like people judged me more with a flat chest (like I was inferior). I wasn't looking for more confidence with a larger chest but just more normal and satisfied with my looks.
8) I will gladly do this surgery again every 10, 15 or 20 years.
9) I definitely needed my husband to take care of me for the first two days. He was absolutely wonderful!
10) This surgery is a very personal decision and everyone has their own story, no two are alike. I'm really thankful for this site!

I had a "nose job" done about 4 years ago with this doctor. He is extremely professional and have always felt comfortable with his expertise.