Happy That the Big Belly is Gone! - Cleveland, OH

I had a full TT with muscle and hernia repair and...

I had a full TT with muscle and hernia repair and lipo of the flanks on July 1st. I had 3 babies by c-section in under 4 years, which completely ruined my mid-section. I gained about 80 pounds with my first, and he ended up being 10lbs 6oz and 22 inches long - huge! I also had so much fluid in my belly with him that he couldn't drop - the doctor said he literally floated up when they touched his head. So you can imagine how enormous my stomach was. My last two babies were only 17 months apart, and by the end of it all, I was left with a large umbilical hernia, muscle separation, and a ton of sagging skin.

I was initially worried about doing such a big operation since my youngest had just turned 1. But I did feel justified as the hernia was becoming bigger and more painful as time went on.

It was a struggle at first, but I'm 4 weeks out now and feeling better. I'm a stay at home mom, and I was first alone with my kids after 2 weeks. Pain-wise, I think I did pretty well. I stopped taking any meds 2 days after my surgery and I've been fine. I got my drains out at 1 week, and I found that to be way more painful than I expected. I did have some fluid build-up over my whole tummy, but my PS didn't want to drain it since it wasn't a "pocket". That was at around two and a half weeks. I think most of it is gone, but I still have moments where my belly looks like a waterbed.

I've always been active and worked out regularly. My PS told me after one week that I had no restrictions at all except no ab exercises for 6 weeks. I couldn't believe that; I certainly didn't feel up to living a normal life, lifting my children, or working out. When I went back for my fluid problem, I told him I had been taking it easy and he scolded me. He said to definitely not do that. So, I've been doing my elliptical at the normal time/pace since just before the 3 week mark.

Overall, I'm feeling better, but I think mentally I'm really tired of feeling the pain/burning that comes with healing. I got a lot better right away and then it seemed to plateau. Just as everyone else, I hate the swelling and it can be depressing. But it is great to have a somewhat flat belly with no hernia sticking out or flabby skin.

you look amazing!
Thank you!
You look awesome!!
Thank you! I get so discouraged sometimes. These photos give me perspective.

One week?   That sounds frightening to me.  Only you will know what you are able to do.  If it hurts STOP.  Go easy on yourself for a while.  My doc told me no Ab work for 6 months which I was glad for.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.  But glad to hear you are doing so well.

Those large babes can really do a number on your body! I'm glad you were able to do this for yourself and get your hernia fixed and your belly flattened. That stuff never would've exercised off.

I've never heard of no restrictions after a week before. Be sure to listen to your body. It'll tell you when you're doing too much.