Chin Implant Too Large? Not Quite Right? - Cleveland, OH

I had a chin implant on 4/16/13 along with...

I had a chin implant on 4/16/13 along with liposuction along the jaw/chine line. Although I do trust that my surgeon is technically competent, there was NO discussion of the type (as opposed to size) of implant available. In retrospect, I wish I taken it upon myself to do my homework on the types of implants there are out there and which one would best suit my face. Actually, I wish the surgeon would have done this for me-it is after all his job! In any event, the surgery went smooth and the side effects from the surgery are minor although there is a touch of numbness in the right quarter of my lower lip.

8 months out, I am not sure of the results. I feel like the implant extends too far out when viewed from the profile and that the implant is not the correct shape for my face. It also can look a bit flat from the front or "implanty" . Thoughts?

Some Befores

Recent Pictures

My chin looks a touch smaller in these pictures that I took today but I am still undecided on my chin....
Mark A. Foglietti

Nice guy but plastic surgery is a big deal and I didn't think he spent enough time discussing what expectations I had for the surgery or what look I was trying to achieve ( even with a chin implant there is a "look"-one shape does not fit all). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I think my idea of beauty and proportionality may differ from his.

Hi dear and Hello from Toledo :) Ill be honest with you 100%....I'm a perfectionist...and probably just like you analize everything lol. When I saw your pics in your car, side and front view....I thought the chin implant that was picked was way too big and too over projected. A so called perfect aka right chin is suppose to in the same line as your lower lip. From your car selfie pics, your chin goes well above that. My first question is, how soon after the surgery are those pictures from your car? Now having said that, your picture in your home, when I view them, your chin looks actually very nice and fits your overall facial features. I like it....I'm just curious as far date goes, from the car pics and the pics from home. Btw, I think you are an very attractive woman....and I'm not saying that to make u feel better. I think ur super gorgeous :) I'm just curious, what size implant u got, and the dates on your pictures from your surgery. Also if u take a nice profile shot, without smiling and looking straight, see where ur chin is compared to ur lower lip, if ud draw a line down from ur lower lip. Anyways I think it looks to be turning out awesomely for you and perhaps it was a lot of swelling at first that made ur chin appear too large. It looks great now..... Smile, you look beautiful :)
The time between the pictures was about 8 months.....swelling has gone down a lot. I appreciate the feedback- so nice!
Hi there, I had a chin implant in November to fix my weak chin and am now struggling with the way I look from the front. I like the side view of mine even if others think it is too big for my face, but from the front, I am nervous it looks a bit too masculine ( you can see my review in my profile if you're interested). I think you look great and wouldn't worry about it looking too big- it gives a more feminine look to your face in my opinion. I think no matter how perfect a job a surgeon does, we will always be critical of ourselves and think that a change could be made for the better. I am struggling with this "too big" thing too but am going to just try to learn to love it :)
Hey girl! Can you post a picture that has your whole face in the frame? It is hard to say if the implant looks balanced with just the chin shot.... Thank you for your feedback!
Hey! I posted a full face photo. You're welcome for the feedback...it's nice that we can all support each other on this site. I am finding it more helpful post-surgery than pre-surgery!
I think it looks fine. It does look more masculine than from before based on your last 3 photos. However, I don't think this is a bad thing and when you take into consideration your profile view as well I much prefer the after look. The other consideration is the angle of the picture-sorry I am a hobbyist photographer. When you take a photo from the classic selfie angle ( as you did in the last before picture), from above, at an angle, it seems to have a sliming effect so it is hard to compare before versus after....Ugh. Picky, picky....
I'm actually struggling to see anything wrong with your profile in the before pics! It looks pretty balanced to me. I would be happy with that AFTER having a chin implant. With a profile that started out nearly perfect, I guess you only needed the smallest implant to get any sort of improvement. If I'm being honest I think it's a bit big for your face. I say that because I'm about to get one and I would want it a bit smaller I think - even if I still end up with a slightly weak chin. It doesn't by any stretch look bad though, your profile is fine and you're probably the only one who really examines it! You have a lovely face by the way!
you look great. I agree with earlier poster, your latest pics look much better than the first. I just had chin implant 3 weeks ago and I wonder if mine is too big as well. My right lower lip is still numb and so is the right side of my chin. I had a weak chin/profile before so I hope I adjust to my new profile.
Thank you for your feedback. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I still have numbness almost 9 months after surgery (although it has lessened) but I am used to it now although when that area is pressed upon or messed with it feels very odd and kinda painful; Aggressive make out sessions not recommended!
I was a bit incorrect about the proportion of chin in relation to nose as I should have not commented without doing more research. A good surgeon "realistically" selects the right size of implant that is esthetically pleasing to your face structure. I'm surprised that your surgeon didn't talk more to you about your expectations and give you an idea of what he could or could not do for you so you would know in advance what to expect from this surgery. The fact that you don't know if you like it or not makes me wonder if something is "amiss" as you should be happy with the results after spending so much money.
I think it gives you a balanced profile. I read that the chin should be out as far as the tip of the nose to look aesthetically pleasing. You have a lovely profile. I think it will take a little time to get used to it.
I think people tend to be their own worst enemies when it comes to how we look. That's why I think it's hard for you to believe when your friends tell you that you look great. I think your newest pics look awesome and I hope you are starting to feel that way too. I'm about 4 weeks away from getting a chin implant and I want to thank you for sharing. I will be doing the same after my surgery and hope I'm happy with the results.
I agree; beauty is a tough thing to chase after.... Good luck!
Good luck!
Thanks, only a few weeks to go!
I think it looked too big in the first set of a post surgery photos... seeing the more recent photos that you posted today, I think it looks great. what is the time frame between the sets of post surgery pics you posted? ( i am having chin work done one week from today and am nervous)
Good luck Lacey. I'm about 4 weeks away from my new chin.
apx 4 months
I am about 36 hours away now and getting more and more nervous.. will definitely post an update on how it went and what my thoughts are. I am having my chin bone burred down and a pre jowl implant placed for more fullness on the sides of my chin.. I am mostly nervous just because I have never been under general anesthesia.
had my procedure yesterday.. They burred my chin bone down due to an over projected chin and then implanted a pre jowl implant for better definition in my pre jawl area.. also had a septoplasty at the same time so I am in some pain! but the percocet I was given is keeping me comfy.. I still have my chin sling on and was able to just take a peek.. looks pretty good from what I see and I do know there's a ton of swelling so I really can't say what my final result will be but it looks to be pretty good..
Good luck with your recovery!!! Post pics when you can
Will do and thanks!!
: )
ClevelandChin~ did you have much pain and swelling post op? I am only about 36 hours in and I am a little surprised by the pain and swelling.. don't think it's anything alarming I just didn't really know what to expect.. How slowly or quickly was your recovery? and how was your pain and swelling the first few days?