Please Don't Waste Your Time and Money! - Clear Lake, Texas

I am a 55 yr old woman, 5 foot and 145lbs. I was...

I am a 55 yr old woman, 5 foot and 145lbs. I was looking for a procedure that was non-invasive for my abdomen. I checked around and thought about liposuction but when I started talking to a dermatalogist office, they were telling me the benefits of CoolSculpting over lipo.....I fell for it and scheduled my appointment and was very excited to get started. Natalie was the nurse that did the procedure and she was very sweet and attentive, however, I never met the Doctor. At the consultation, she told me that I would need to have my upper and lower abdomen done and then 10-12 weeks later, have it done again. If I would do what she suggested, I would see 20% decrease in my abodomen and then another 20% after the second procedure.

The procedure was just as she described with minimal pain. After I left the office, I was great and went straight to the mall for some shopping. For the next several weeks, I was sore, tender and numb but no pain what-so-ever. After 10 weeks we did the procedure again and scheduled a third one for 4 weeks. When I went back for the 3rd procedure, Natalie took pictures to compare and I could see NO difference. She said she could and suggested that I only do the lower abs for the third procedure. I was scheduled to go back again for a follow up, however, I never saw the point of returning. If anything this has even made my abdomen bigger and I have consulted with 2 different plastic surgeons. They both said the Coolsculpting does not work! I am now scheduled for Lipo and a Tummy Tuck and will for sure get rid of my big abdomen! I just wish I would have read more reviews concerning the CoolSculpting before I started and I would not have wasted so much money on a foolish gimmick.
Clear Lake Dermatology

I never met the Doctor , below is the review for the nurse that administered the procedure

Sorry you didnt enjoy the experience. But it should be noted a few things- it is a 20% reduction in the treatment area. The treatment area is the area that fits in the head- not the area of the body. It is scientifically proven to kill the fat cells- but 10-25% in the treated area- meaning usually no more than a 2cm loss. Furthermore, if you are older, then you need to be reasonable about expectations. When you are older, your liver and kidneys and metabolism may not be in top condition- and without the functioning properly the lipid fat cannot be expelled. Therefore it works best with people under 50yrs old. Many surgeons prefer liposuction because it is a measurable result. As the canister is filled with fat they can exactly measure how much they are removing. Liposuction would be a better option for you- however please not that if you did not have a reasonable loss during coolsculpting, your recovery from lipo (whether it be tickle, laser assisted or original) will be much more difficult. Expect to where your compression garment longer, and have more significant bruising and pain than most. A last point- you said that you will now have liposuction and a tummy tuck. Coolsculpting does not tighten the skin, so as you are older, some of the 'fat' people think they see is actually lose skin (IPL, lasers, etc can help with that at times). Coolsculpting is made for 'overall healthy individuals with localized fat pockets' and it sounds as if you had more than a 'little localized' and you had significant lose skin (per the tummy tuck). Overall if you had come to me, I never would have recommended coolsculpting due to age and physical circumstances. Im sure you will be happy with your lipo/tuck, but do understand you recovery will be slightly harder than may have been explained to you.
I am actually surprised they offered this at your weight. It is only for people who have dieted & exercised to a normal, trim weight, with fat bulges that they just can't get rid of. I agree with genetic, it only reduces 20% of what goes into the machine. I don't see how you can think it would be a total 20% reduction of your entire abdomen. It does work! See my before/after pics in my avatar. I had this done in my early 50s.
Thanks for your response. I understood exactly what the expectations were to be however , my age was never mentioned as a problem The plastic surgeon said that my abdomen wall is the reason for the tummy tuck. I probably wasn't a good candidate for Coolsculpting because I am not even a good candidate for Liposuction alone. I have no lose skin but once the lipo and abdomnioplasty is done there will be lose skin. My point with the Coolsculpting is that the Doctor should have seen me and let me know that I wasn't going to get the results that I was expecting or being told. However, he is a dermotologist and doesn't do major surgery so therefore he took my money for three different sessions and was suggesting even more. I still feel it is a gimmick and doesn't work.
Again, I was trusting the professionals to tell me the truth and I did understand that it reduces 20% of the fat that goes into the machine.
I agree, you may not have been a good candidate & the Dr was just looking for your $$$ but if you see the before/after photos in my avatar, it definitely DOES work!
Working out as you do and 11 treatments, I certainly hope you can say "IT WORKS" For that amount of time and $$, you should be getting results!
I worked out the same during the "before" photo & the "after" photo was after 3 treatments.
Whether you do one session or 3 sessions, it does work. The difference will be one centimeter, or 3 centimeters. Many people who have more than the 'ideal' amount to lose often dont notice 1cm loss and seem to be frustrated. Most importantly, people also believe in a magic bullet scenario- but realize later that if they had instead done ample workouts with a professional whose main goal was to 'tone the body', they will gain more results and will inevitably avoid the invasive and expensive procedures. I would just advise- you went into a professionals office and he suggested a procedure, and you went through it without ample research including second opinions. That is extremely dangerous and should be warranted for caution as you are now about to go through a extremely invasive and expensive procedure.