Vertical Incision BR - very happy with results.

I had a breast reduction on August 21st and though...

I had a breast reduction on August 21st and though I was nervous, I couldn't wait to have the surgery. I went home the same day and my pain has been up and down, but very manageable with the pain meds or Tylenol. I saw my new chest for the first time 3 days after surgery and was taken aback by the asymmetry. I tried telling myself it was only swelling, but I think it is quite obvious that something isn't right. My right breast is 2 times the size of the left, as is the areola. The left breast is softer, the right is harder and the skin is much tighter. I feel as though I got a reduction on the left and a lift (with no reduction) on the right. It is very discouraging to think I have gone through all the pain, am missing weeks of work and am paying around $3500 out of pocket, only to be disfigured. I just can't believe this is happening to me. I live in Cin, Oh and my Doc was recognized as a "Top Doc" in the field of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for 2014, plus my friend had a BR performed by her this past Spring that she is satisfied with. I go back for my 2 week post op on Wednesday. Has anyone else experienced a size discrepancy this large that resolved itself after the swelling was gone? I apologize my breasts are so crazy looking; I have steri strips on and then some kind of glue over top, so fuzz and everything else sticks to them. Any advice or experience?
Krummen

She came highly recommended and has great credentials, but she can come across as being "hands off" and kind of cold. That being said, she proved herself to be very knowledge and competent in her patient interactions. My gyno and his NP both recognized her name said that she is a great surgeon. My follow up appointments are typically only about 15 mins, but she always makes sure I get my questions answered. I should also Probably add that I once called the office on a Holiday weekend and the Doc was able to get back to me in under and hour. I would definitely recommend her to anyone in the greater Cincinnati area looking for BR surgery or any other plastic surgery.

it is early days and things can change a lot, your breasts have had individual surgery and recovery experiences. your surgeon will advise on when to consider any further work IF that is necessary in the longer term. i think your overall size and shape is beautiful
I would definitely discuss your concerns with her on Wednesday and see what she says. I know from this site some women experience a ton of swelling and some don't. I'm hoping your breasts just have different amounts of swelling and over time will become more symmetrical. What I have also learned from this site is that most everything can be fixed..,and many times at the cost of the surgeon so it's probably in your best interest to try to remain in good terms/communication with the ps. Good luck! Plz keep us posted. I'm sorry you have to deal with this...healing is hard enough without additional stress.
Thank you so much for your reply. I know it sounds very selfish, but I just keep thinking "why me?" But then I have a day, or at least a couple of hours, where I drag myself out of my cocoon and remind myself that relatively speaking, having lopsided boobs is a minuscule physical and psychological issue to deal with. It is just hard to think that I have taken so much time away from my family, drained my bank account, used all of my PTO time pat work, went through the pain and healing process, only to have to undergo some sort of revision or correction procedure. I'm not really sure how to explain my feelings; frustration, anger, depression, embarrassment, helplessness, confusion, and the list goes on and on...
I would be feeling all those emotions too. Don't be hard yourself. 99% of us would feel the same way. I hope your ps provides some reassurance at your next appt. Please keep me posted. I'm praying and sending healing thoughts your way.
Update - I am feeling 100 times better since my appointment with my PS Wednesday. She assured me that they would be the same size, but it will take a couple of weeks for the swelling on the right to go down. I guess I had a small hematoma, not large neigh to require intervention. The PS showed my that she removed equal amounts of tissue (within 2 grams) from each breast so I know the asymmetry is only temporary. One thing I will say for my breasts is that they weren't pretty, but they were darn near identical which, from my research into BR surgery, I am finding is a rarity. Thanks again for your responses and hopefully my "freakout" will help someone else who is searching for a little reassurance that things will work themselves out; just let yourself heal prior to jumping to any conclusions on "what went wrong."
This br journey sure has lots of ups and downs. I am so relieved for you. I've had my freakout moments too...my poor husband! I wish my ps would have prepared me better... He made it sound really easy because it is "just" surgery of the skin". My painful and swollen boobs would disagree.
Since my freakout about the asymmetry, my PS has been much more compassionate and tries to explain what is normal healing and what requires immediate medical attention.
That is great news.