Chin Implant Gave Me a Crooked Smile

I had an chin implant and face lift 6 weeks ago. I...

I had an chin implant and face lift 6 weeks ago. I had a receding chin and didn't like it. Now I have a problem.

My smile is crooked, and the Dr. said that it happens sometimes and may take the muscle 2 weeks maybe 2 months to "wake up." No nerve damage, but I'm worried it may not wake up and I will have a crooked smile.

I really don't think my smile will be normal...

I really don't think my smile will be normal again, It's been 7 weeks, and it's still one sided.  It feels normal, but how can a muscle wake up, does that mean it's paralyzed?  What can I do the "wake it up?"  Can it be fixed if it doesn't improve?

Photo Update

After 18 months my smile is now normal. The muscle...

After 18 months my smile is now normal. The muscle that controls the left corner of my mouth finally did wake up. No problems now. Everyone who has surgery, we all must learn to be patient and let the face heal. Takes time, and you have to wait, and wait, and wait.

Thanks so much for this! I had a chin implant plus fat transfer to the jaw line six weeks ago due to a small receding chin. I really love the way it looks until I smile. I used to have a big wide smile and now my lower lip won't go below the top of my lower teeth. The outer edges twitch when I try and it looks awkward. I hope it heals in time. Can I ask about your pictures? You have a great smile! Is the second picture of you after you healed and did it go back to full movement? Thank you so much for your insight and help.
Those are not my pics. I don't know who's they are. Yes, I do have full movement but it just the numbness that never went away. I hope a speedy recovery for you! :)
I'm the one that had the crooked smile after surgery and those are my pics. I was really concerned, but remember it takes time for everyone to heal. Some heal quicky, some, like me take longer (18 months). I remember how tight one side of my face felt, it relaxed in time. Be patient.
Hello Shorty, I completely understand how you feel. It has now been two years since my surgery and I still remember the depression afterwards. Like you, I was not happy with my chin implant either. It was way too big and it looked horrible. I had it removed 4wks after it was put in. He offered to put a smaller one in but so glad I did not go with that option. I chose not to put one in because sometimes when they take a chin implant out, it will leave a pocket giving it an extra little length. I have learned, although it may be cheaper to do more things at once, I will never go into a multiple surgery procedure again. So, bottom line, it is your decision but I would have it taken out. As, for the complications, my lip returned to normal three/four months later but the numbness is still there. If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would not have gotten the chin implant. I don't know if this really helped you but give you nose a chance to heal. I hear it takes a year for the swelling to go down and look great! I will say a prayer for you!
Thanks that is very helpful and who told you about a pocket and why if you had the implant Out it take too long to your líp to return to be normal? What about your smile, eating etc.?
I had my implant removed after 6 weeks. Its been 5 weeks since the explant and the scarring has left some augmentation. My improvement was almost immediate after the implant was taken out. My lip and speech is almost back to normal. Although somewhere in the back of my mind I keep thinking how much I want a chin, I don't think I'd ever put myself through that horrible experience again. I was so depressed and obsessed with that chin that my life was not normal.
Hello lindanj2 thanks for your comment but since you really a chin what you didn't like about your chin implant and what size? As you can see my before pic I didn't had any chin I know from front I look good but my profile is horrible and I really didn't think about a chin implant it was just my nose but when I went for consultation my Dr show me a photoshot with chin implant and really like from profile I didn't see it from front that's is why I decide to do it. But I didn't know and either I ask about anything.
I had my nose surgery and chin implant 18 days ago but I'm very depressed about my appearance now. My nose is getting deviated to one side and my chin is too big and pointy last week I told my Dr that I want him to remove my chin implant because I don't want my face to change from front I don't want any change my face looks big and long plus my smile is crooked and ugly and my lips have change so I just want my smile come back and lips to be the same. At first I was going to do my nose but then he show me a photoshot picture with chin and it looks pretty from profile from front I never ask to see it how it look and I never ask the risk and all that I didn't know anything about if I will know I never risk nothing for a chin implant. Now I am so unhappy and depressed I told my dr I want him to remove my implant but he told me.. I put a big implant so I'll will put a medium size i'll hate to go back to your before profile...but I just want him to remove it because I don't know how much is the difference between large and a medium size is there a big difference? Will my face change even with the medium size? Do I have to wait long for my smile, talk, eat, and lips come back to normal so that's why I just want him to remove it I don't want to go the same process again I prefer not to have any implant. My app. is in 12 days sep. 12 2013 If some can help me with all this I'll appreciate. Thanks
Oh thats great - Im really glad that the drooping lip has resolved! You must be soooo relieved! I really dont get that the doc says you 'will' have a drooping chin now. That makes no sense. I had an implant for 17 years, had it removed and have no drooping whatsoever even a year into removal. Although age may be an issue as I dont know how old you are. Anyway if the soft tissue reconnects I dont see why you should have a droop...
How's your chin looking now?
It feels and looks perfect.
day 2 of having my implant taken out. my drooping lip has gone back to almost normal. My doctor thought I had Bells Palsy, but I knew I was in perfect health and it was the implant. Now he says it was resting on a nerve. On the return slip to the manufacturer he wrote "swollen reaction" despite the fact that he felt my symptoms were psychological. My face is very swollen and yes, my chin has a "witches tip" right now. I've been keeping a daily photographic and video record of this journey.
I had a chin implant a week out with a neck lift and rhinoplasty and am still numb and swollen and my lips are asymmetrical and out of proportion. My smile looks weird too. I think it's worse in my head but still am going through some hard times which I hear is normal. I think ps are pretty generous on their realistic recovery timelines.
Dear Youngjohndoe,

Your face will go back to normal. It took 7 and 1/2 weeks for my crooked smile to return to normal. Now I am 5 months post-op, back to work and teaching and everybody tells me how great I look. Your face has been worked over big time, but you will heal and you will look like a million bucks! Hang in there! You WILL heal with time!!
Popeye,I am glad to see you have upgraded to Olive Oil. I am happy for you. I also want to give an update. I am 10 weeks post opp and still no impovement. I also still have numbness. I am happy to hear the restoration of Popeye but also frustrated that I still look like Popeye. Ugggg...still waiting!
I'm so happy for you. That was fast. I was 18 months out. To everyone who has a asymetical smile after a chin implant. It takes from the next day to as long as 18 months for everything to heal and return to normal. You just have to be patient and let your own healing take place and don't keep looking in the mirror.
I know. I feel really lucky. It was the longest 7 and 1/2 weeks of my life!!!!!
Popeye13,

After three weeks not only did I have a crooked smile I looked like rocky racoon. The nerves around that area have been stretched and tugged around, they don't like it. Three weeks is not enough time for them to heal and it takes time. It took mine 18 months, gradually every day, week, month that goes by it gets better. We all have to be patient and let your body heal. Three weeks is just too soon. Take care of your self and stop looking in the mirror. Rest, drink water, believe me it WILL get better. Feel free to comment here. I've been through this too.
Thank you . You make me feel a little better....but 18 months is a long, long time...although better than a permanent deformity.
Did it come back grdually or did you just one day notice it ws back?
It was gradual. I kept checking it all the time too. I bet it feels tight, mine did. Everyone is different. It took mine 18 months. Your's may not, could be a month, 3mons or longer. I'd say if you were at 17 months and your smile was still crooked, then I would be worried. You are not, so no need to worry so much. I know it's hard not too. I just finally stopped worrying about it. I was still going to my doctor about it as he did not want me to worry either. He said that the muscle that brings down the corner of the lips "is asleep" and that's exactly what is was. Try not to worry.
Thank you. Sometimes, especially in the evenings when the swelling has gone down, it seems to have improved. Mornings are the worst and that is when it is the "tightest."
I saw you before and after photos. Thank you for posting that. I would have been panicked by now had it not been for your photos!
Worrywart, Thank you for posting pics of your before and after. Now, I am a little worried because my smile is so much worse. So, I am thinking if yours took 18 months...is mine going to be longer because it is worse. I am sick of hiding from everyone. I truly avoid talking to anyone, even freinds. I am still being patient but geez...
Jwow,

Did your doctor suggest removing the implant? It seems that another surgery that soon would just set back the healing process. Why did you have it removed? Was it pressing on a nerve or something?

Popeye13
Yes, my surgeon thought that it needed to be removed because he did not like how numb my lip and chin were. Yes, he felt that the implant could be pressing on the nerve. I do feel more tingling since it has been out, which is a good sign. Have you had any improvement since your last posting?
Tingling is good. That is a sign that your face is coming back to life. Yours will probably heal more quickly now that the implant is out.

If you ever want your chin adjusted again, you ought to try Silicon. It is a permanent injectable filler. I have it in my lips and have not had a problem with it.

As for my crooked mouth, I can't tell if it is improving or not, although I am practically glued to the mirror! The right side of my face is still swollen and feels tighter than the left side and the right side of my mouth is the side that is messed up. I am seeing the doctor on Wednesday.

This is so frustrating!!