Painful but Really Works! - Chicago, IL

I am getting married in September so I wanted to...

I am getting married in September so I wanted to have nice pearly whites for my big day. I went to my dentist after work and got it done in an hour. When I arrived the assistant offered me some water and two advils, she mentioned it would help with the sensitivity. Then the dentist explained to me how the procedure would be done and what I could expect from it, she did a quick cleaning and polishing of the teeth and started the procedure.

First, she put some oil on my lips to help with the stretching for the mouth piece. She made sure all other areas were covered to prevent burning and irritation. The procedure is broken into four 15 minute sessions. I watched tv the whole entire time but by the third session I could feel my teeth starting to become very sensitive, like the nerves were being pinched or something. The fourth session was probably the one that was harder to endure. However my doctor told me if it was too painful I did not have to finish the last session but I did it anyway. When she finished they rinsed off the gel residue from my teeth and showed my new pearls! Love them!

I drove home and on my way I started to feel a little sensitivity pain. Two hours later, holy hell! It hurts! Took 2 vicodins and went to bed. Woke up around 3 AM because of the pain. Went back to bed and woke up for work at 7. Pain still there, took 2 aleves and went to work. I'm hoping the pain will go away soon, tho the doctor mentioned the first 24-48 hours my teeth would be real sensitive.

Here is a pic of my after (5 days later) sorry I...

Here is a pic of my after (5 days later) sorry I did not take a before pic.

i am wondering my teeth look the same as of yours in the pic n i am still wondering to go for zoom witening :-/
Groupon here in Dubai for around $200!
in india its about 150 dollars
Where was this dentist office in Chicago? I wanna get my teeth whiten but it cost too much so you got it done for $300 right?
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Of course its cheaper in India. We are paying for standards here buddy!!

I just did ZOOM this morning at the dentist and just want to say that the procedure, while slightly uncomfortable, was not at all painful. I had about an hour's worth of "zingers" (the dull shooting pain I had read so much about online before my appointment), and then it was over. Not even enough to make me wince out loud. So the reaction really does vary person to person but the dentist told me out of the fifty patients he had treated with this only one called to complain about the pain.

I'm doing my research on ZOOM because I've recently been thinking about it for myself. I've of course noticed all of the comments about folks with the horrid sensitivities. I'm curious though, do any of you guys chew ice a lot? I absolutely don't AND I drink everything with the exception of water through a straw (it's a weird quirk of mine LOL). However, my dentist told me my enamel looks fabulous. I'm wondering if ice chewing and acidic drinks cause the enamel wear contribute to the extra sensitivity to the treatment. I'm usually pretty tolerant to most pain but when it's mouth pain I'm a pansy LOL I hope someone has some insight on this.

Had it done yesterday and my teeth are about 4 shades whiter. Love it. Yes it hurt a bit during treatment and I have had a couple of little sensativity pains since but well worth the $150.00 I spent for it with a Groupon. It even came with the trays.

I had Zoom done yesterday & the dentist told me that the spotting was from tooth dehydration. 24 hours later, still spotty. Any advice on what to expect? I've read that they will go back dark after hydrating. Right now it's just ugly.

Hopefully the white spots have started to fade. There was a Q&A posted that asked "What Causes the Bright White Spots on Teeth". Click here to read what the dentists had to say.

Sounds like you have very sensitive teeth if you cant even stand the OTC products so it's really up to you. The Zoom was my 2nd procedure, the first one was done about 5 years ago (britesmile) and I think is worth the pain. Advil does help with the pain but like I said it was only the first 2 days. My teeth are still super white and they looked beautiful on my wedding pictures! I recommend :)

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting the Zoom whitening for $100 from Groupon. I can't even stand the NightWhite gel that one puts overnight in the trays. My teeth are VERY sensitive. I have read 10 or more reviews and 80% of the people that did Zoom said it was painful and they would never do it again. Is it worth the pain for 2 or so days if your teeth are yellow and how much whiter would they REALY get?

Thanks!

Did you have the procedure done? if so how did it go? How was the pain?
Just had the zoom treatment-$200.00..teeth went 2 shades whiter.Pretty BUT I would rather not endure this pain.Give me trays and bleach anyway. Just used sensodyne and 2 advil and pray to God this helps as I learned of this remedy from a previous post.

How are your teeth feeling? Did the Sensodyne and Advil help to decrease the pain?

I couldn't even sit through all 4 sessions! I called it quits after the 2nd - It hurts like hell!!!! I get the shock sensation every few minutes and in between it stays sensitive. Mine was done only about 3 hours ago. Never again! Think I'll stick with the at home treatment. Even worse I cannot have coffee for 48hours :(
I second that notion!!
i had the zoom 8 days ago developed a blood blister same day on my gums between front two teeth. 8 days later i am still hurtig. can hardly stand to brush my teeth. i have another blister on front of mygums still. they are alot whiter though.

Sorry to hear about your blisters. If you click here you can see several dentists opinions on how to to help the blisters heal.

Was it worth it?

I had my treatment done this afternoon, it was a 15 min session done 4 times (total 1 hour), the dentist padded over my gums and clamped my mouth open, i thought that was to prevent me screaming but was just to protect my gums, then she applied the paste to my teeth and lined up the light over my teeth, she told me there was a bell to ring if i needed assistance since i wouldn't be able to talk...GULP!!! she switched on the light and left the room, leaving me to watch my cousin vinnie, she came back 3 times and sucked the stuff off my teeth then applied a fresh coating each time, it wasn't untill i was ending my 4th session that i felt a twinge in my front tooth, for the next 4 hours i had a twinge in my front teeth (feels like someone touched my teeth with a live wire) about every 20 mins each lasting a few seconds...the result though is totally awesome and well worth the little discomfort i endured.

Hello Gaby, Great review; very helpful. Did the whitening last? How do the teeth look today? We'd LOVE to hear an update on these parameters: 1. How white the teeth look now? Are you able to maintain the whiter shade? 2. Did the sensitivity go away? 3. Any mid-term ill-effects? 4. Any other tips or advice for those on the fence. Thanks, Gurdas

Hi gaby,

Well it's been far longer than the 24-48 hours, please tell me your teeth are not still sensitive. This is a good review, I always wondered how long it took and I've never heard about the oil for stretching. Did you dentists mention if you will need to go back for more? We would love to see pictures! Please keep us updated.

Thanks so much for the review,

-Britt

Hi Britt!

Well let me tell you, my teeth were sensitive for the first 48hrs for sure! However my dentist recommended brushing with sensodyne plus she gave me fluoride to apply at night before going to bed which totally helped. The second day it was sensitive like when you bite into ice but not painful, just sensitive.
IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT! The pain is nothing compared to the results and to be honest I have ZERO tolerance to pain, so I am sure that other people probably would not mind the pain. Unfortunately I did not take before pics but I will post some after pics soon.
Take care! :)