Blistered Gums from Zoom Whitening?

I had Zoom teeth whitening 3 days ago. Apparently, some solution seeped under the protective gum coating and left a nasty burn on my gums. It now looks like a blister or an ulcer. I've seen this reported by a number of people, but no one ever mentions how long it takes to heal (or if it ever does). Should I be concerned about permanent gum damage? The first picture was taken before, the second picture was taken right after the procedure, and the 3rd picture was ta just now (3 days later).

Blistered Gums from Zoom Whitening?

+3

One side effect of Zoom Teeth whitening (or other types of in-office teeth whitening) can be a chemical burn to the gum.  At this point I think the best thing to do would be to let it heal for about 2 weeks. You have done an excellent job photographing the progress. 

The healing will move quickly, it will probably look better and better every couple of days. While its soft like this, I would not brush very hard at all. As the gum gets tougher and tougher, you can brush it more normally then.

While a lot of that gum line shows in your photos, in real life, the height of one's smile varies a lot from person to person. If it doesn't show with your typical smile, I would just give it time. 

It's possible that it can take a month or two for it to really toughen up all the way.

I wouldn't do any touch up whitening at home until the gum is perfect again. 

I would make sure that the cosmetic dentist you saw for the teeth whitening is aware that you had an issue. Sometimes for procedures like this, they are primarily done by the staff and he may not even be aware you had an issue.

If you are very worried about it, AND it is healing slowly or poorly, then you would have the option of seeing a periodontist (gum specialist) who could help monitor it with you. (That's probably overkill, unless you can't sleep at night thinking about it).

Web reference: http://www.ScottGreenhalghDDS.com

Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Blisters after whitening

+2

You have unfortunately encountered one of the few side effects of a peroxide burn.  The good news is that these burns will heal themselves.  One thing you can do to help the healing process along is to apply vitamin E on the affected areas.

Omaha Cosmetic Dentist

Chemical Burn to Gums after Zoom Whitening

+2

The Chemical burn you experienced is an occasional side effect of Zoom whitening or other brands of Power Bleaching. Generally it is a white spot that goes away in 1 -7 days and is usually painless. Most dentists have some Vitamin E cream to apply or you can get some Vitamin E capsules and use the liquid inside for faster healing. Thanks for the nice photos.

Memphis Cosmetic Dentist

Burned gums from zoom whitening

+1

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been burned.  Although burns can happen on a rare occasion.  This is something that has never happened in our office because we rigorously follow the protocol.  However, the burn will heal on its own.  The oral cavity heals extremely fast.  You may use Vitamin E oil to provide sooth the wound.  If it’s painful taking 400mg advil (2 tablets) is not a bad idea.   All the best, recover quickly.  Good Luck!

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Burned gums from in office teeth whitening is common

+1

Despite our best efforts, the barrier material over the gums can sometimes get dislodged and the gel can leak underneath.  It can be uncomfortable and discolor the tissues, but this is temporary.  Placing some vitamin E over the affected area has helped some, but it will spontaneously heal within a few days with no permanent effects.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com/

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Gum injury after Zoom whitening

+1

Sorry to thear about the injury to your gums after Zoom treatment!  It appears that perhaps some of the whitening solution may have touched the gums.  While this looks distressing, don't worry!  Your gums are very resilient and  will  heal in just a few more days to a week. 

Seattle Orthodontist