Not Worth It - May Have Made It Worse

I've had spider veins since I was a teenager....

I've had spider veins since I was a teenager. Sadly, they probably are just inherited (I've never been overweight or pregnant)- my mom has them and my father had them. I wanted to treat just the topical small spider veins as the medium blue veins' appearance didn't really bother me. I felt like the spider veins aged my legs significantly and the blue veins were just a fact of fair skin & not varicose. Well, the vein treatment center said the blue feeder veins needed to be treated or it was pointless.

It was painful and then after about the third treatment I noticed a significant increase in redness and spider veins in my legs - also an increase in additional blue veins. The increase in new spider veins and blue veins was within the course of treatment, so not something that I can chalk up to "maintenance". I stopped treatment because I didn't want to risk ending up with legs worse than I started with.

I regret doing it and my vanity. My once relatively beautiful toned legs (with a few veins) are ruined and look old now. I'm embarrassed now to wear shorts and a tan really still doesn't cover them. Don't do it. If you think about it - if you shut down one vein - another will take over.

I had sclero three times from late 2009- March 2010 with zero results for persistent spider veins. Like some of the folks here, my legs looked even worse. My dermatologist then sent me to a radiologist who did ultrasounds of each leg.

Well, it turns out that I had "leaky" veins in both legs which was causing my problems. It also answered why my legs would occasionally swell up, why I would have night cramps, etc. I could have shot up with sclerosing solution 100X with zero results because I wasn't solving the root cause. So...I had EVLT done on each leg in late 2010 and just did foam sclero for clean-up. I'm guardedly hopeful.

On the upside, my insurance paid for the procedures because it was medical and I've forestalled varicose veins thanks to the EVLT. In a month I'll know if my vanity was satisfied too!

Just a thought for those less than satisfied- you might not be treating the right problem at the right time. That was my situation.
Vein Clinics of America

The doctor really was never active in any of the treatment. In fact all procedures were performed by a nurse (newly graduated) and my progress never monitored by the physician until I complained about the results.