Good-bye, Bras That Look Like Tank Tops....Hello Tube Tops !! - Chicago, IL

I am 5’8, 150lbs. I’ve been the same...

I am 5’8, 150lbs. I’ve been the same height and had the same body figure for the last 10 years.

At 17 years old, I was a C/D cup and was pretty content with this size. Although I already had stretch marks, I was still able to comfortably wear clothes without worrying how my chest looks. Even strapless bras. As the years went by, whatever weight I had gained went straight to my breasts. One day I’d start noticing side breast fat just popping out.

As the years went by, I started feeling more and more insecure about how I looked. Clothes just didn’t feel nor look the same. Strapless bras no longer fit me and halter tops would leave painful red marks around my neck and shoulders at only 20 years old.

Although the thought of a breast reduction was in the back of my mind since 18 years old, I truly felt I needed one by 21 years old.

I am now 26 years old and a 38 DDD. I’ve gone to chiropractors for back adjustments and received prescriptions for excessive sweating to prevent further painful bumps under my breasts.

After years of soaked bras, painful bumps, permanent indentations & rashes on my shoulders from large straps from bras that look like tank tops, I’ve finally decided to make a move. I was tired of the constant back pain and just depression from being so uncomfortable…and to not even be able to fit into a bathing suit !! I hate wearing black all the time, trying to "hide" my large chests. You just can't hide a large chest !!

My first consultation was on Friday, April 27th. The doctor’s assistant who walked my into the room made me feel so warm and welcome and even sympathized, as she also had a reduction ! She also showed me her results after once being my size.
The doctor walked in shortly after and we chatted. He’s shown me his work and I got so excited thinking, “this could be me.”

We took the before photos, and shortly after, I scheduled my surgery date for June 5, 2012. Only 1 month away and already I am having dreams almost every night, waking up happier every morning.

I know I’ll start getting more nervous and it gets closer to the day, but happy thoughts ! My pre-op appointment is June 4th, so I will post more, as time goes by. Until then….. ;)

So, yesterday I had my doctor visit for my pre-op...

So, yesterday I had my doctor visit for my pre-op exams..... X-ray & blood work. Just knowing the surgery is less than 2 weeks away...... starting to get a bit nervous. I think my biggest fear is showering. That and sleeping...I move around a lot during sleep. Worried a stitch might rip out and I wake up in a pool of blood. Ahhh, happy thoughts !!! ;)

Today, I purchased baby wipes as a temporary substitution for showering for the first couple days of surgery. All of the forums I've read, women said they showered the very next day. I don't know.....I think I'd be too scared. Also, I'm trying to come up with a meal plan for the first few days of recovery- just something simple to just re-heat in the microwave.

Almost 3 pounds total will be coming off of me !! That's 3 pounds off my poor, sore shoulders. I will be quitting smoking within the next 2 days, which will only add to my anxiety.

I am now telling you what I've told everyone else.... .After I heal & until the rest of summer, I will be wearing nothing tube tops & spaghetti strapped tanks as tops.

12 days and counting.......

72 hours from now, I will be in la-la land & my...

72 hours from now, I will be in la-la land & my surgery will be almost complete. I am getting so nervous !!! It's been 8 days without a cigarette. The first few days were the worst but I barely have cravings now. Perhaps this is my chance to finally kick the habit.

I had another dream last night about the surgery .......it was performed in my bedroom and both the doctor and I were completely nude. *lol* I hate these dreams !!!! It's going to be a very awkward pre-op on Monday. Ahhhhh......

Until then....... ;)

OMG !!!! It's done !!! I've been home now for...

OMG !!!! It's done !!! I've been home now for almost 3 hours now- and believe it or not, I cannot stay in bed. I'm still a little dizzy here and there from the transdermal anti-nausea patch but other than soreness, I feel great. I was scared of headache and nausea, but I've got neither. Guess, we'll wait until tomorrow for the real pain as my body adjusts. (Eeek !!!)

The day before :
Pre-op appointmet and got (4) prescriptions filled:
1.) Vicodin for pain relief
2.) Antibiotics to help prevent infection
3.) Transdermal patch for anti nausea
4.) Two tablets for anti nausea

Ran all of my last-minute errands- food shopping, stores, laundry, cleaning, etc.....
I left home at noon for my pre-op and didn't get back home until almost 11 at night !! Perhaps I was getting so nervous I kept forgetting where I needed to ge !

Last meal was before midnight: Wingstop and Culvers for dessert- My two favorites =)

I didn't get to sleep until almost 3 am, had to leave by 6:30am. Slept on my chest...... 1 last time for a while.

The morning of surgery :
Woke up just after 5:30. Jumped in shower and washed the breasts with an antiseptic / iodine solution sponge that I was provided with. No hair conditioner, no makeup & no deodorant. Bleh.

Arrived after 8am to the office and took some final measurements. Said bye to my mother and that's when I started getting really nervous and teary-eyed. The longer you wait to go in, the more nervous you get !!

I was taken to the O.R. just after 9am. IV was put in the top part of my left hand.
Within seconds I started feeling woozy....the next thing I know "Okay, we are all done !!" I replied with a scratchy throat, "No, wait....I was just talking to you." My oh my......

We literally started driving home within the next hour and I felt fine.... Sore and woozy, but fine. Talked almost the whole way home !

I'm taking it very easy on what I'll be eating for the next 2 days. Bought a lot of fruits and oatmeal.

I've just been watching TV and munching on grapes and took only 1 Vicodin- there is a burning feeling at the bottom incision and stitches are but I was informed that it perfectly normal.

My throat is still very dry and scratchy- I can't tell you how much water I've consumed. I am dying to eat his peanut mix I bought but it would irritate my throat too much.

So far, we've only drained my tube container once (blood and fluids). Seems like it will have to be drained every 4-5 hours, just to prevent any spillage. I just hope sleeping will be okay. I absolutely love sleeping on my chest !!

Tomorrow, my doctor will be removing my drains. Although it's not directly in my way, I'm just paranoid I could accidentally tug it.

Can't believe it's finally done.........

Will have more photos in the next few weeks / months. =)

It's been almost 72 hours since my BR. Got my...

It's been almost 72 hours since my BR. Got my drains taken out yesterday- I literally passed out !! (Thank goodness I was laying down) I got very lightheaded, dizzy and clammy. It passed after about 5 minutes after I had some juice and a cold compress for my head. Not going to lie.... taking the drains out was very painful..... brief but painful. I was squeezing my mother's hand.

When we first took a peak at my new breasts, I started crying. This was EXACTLY what I wanted.

The 2nd and 3rd days are more painful than the 1st. It takes your body a good day to realize the change...... just like a cut on your finger. Doesn't it hurt more the next day ??

I haven't had much of an appetite, but been eating easy foods- oatmeal, fruit.
Even after drinking 10+ cups of water a day, all of these meds are messing with my stomach. I took a stool softener, so hopefully it will help.

After the drains were taken out, I was told I can shower...... Yeah, I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

I got into my tub and was able to wash by bottom half. After I dried off, my mother used baby wipes for my upper half. May I say, that it was quite refreshing if you can't take a real shower. =) Just get the scentless, sensitive skin ones. The less fragrance, the better.

My head and vision is still loopy from the meds, but I don't plan on going anywhere. I'd rather have loopy than pain.

So far, yes I am in quite a bit of pain. However, I've been in pain for 10 years, so what's another 2 weeks ?

Next Tuesday is my follow-up, might be taking some stitches out. My oh my.

More to come soon !!! =)

*** DAY 5 *** Okay, it's been 5 whole days...

*** DAY 5 ***

Okay, it's been 5 whole days already since my BR ! Wow, wow, wow.
I've decreased my pain med intake from every 4 hours to every 6 hours. Although it helps with pain, Vicodin has some pretty uncomfortable side effects- dizziness, constipation. I've got 2 antibiotic pills left.

Haven't taken a real shower yet- just tub for the bottom half and baby wipes for the top half. I think tonight will be the night. I am soooooo nervous. I am getting bored just staying at home, but at the same token, I know I wouldn't be able to handle doing anything extreme. In the evening, I'll step outside for a few minutes to walk around, get some fresh air.

I'd like to share a few very vital tips for the first 3-4 days to secure maximum comfort in an uncomfortable situation.

1.) STOOL SOFTENER !!!! No matter how regulated your system is and how much water you drink, your pain medication will mess with your system and cause constipation. And even if it didn't, you certainly do NOT want to strain going to the bathroom when you're all stitched up. It hurts, and it could pop a stitch out. Target has a 100 ct. for about $5.

2.) TAKE PAIN MEDS AS DIRECTED, NOT "AS NEEDED"- The first day after surgery seemed the simplest and least painful (at least for me)- due to the anesthesia. The evening after your surgery, start taking pain meds as directed (every 4-6 hours). Relieve the pain before it gets really bad. Because, trust me.... when you wake up the next morning, it will hurt a lot more. It's like cutting your finger; always hurts more the next day.

3.) ICE PACKS - Buy 4 small ones if you can find them and use them in intervals- 2 at a time. It helps !!

4.) BABY WIPES - I had my surgery on Tuesday- today is Saturday and I still have been too scared to take a real shower. I hop in the tub to wash my bottom half- my top half, use baby wipes. I must say, it is a wonderful temporary substitute for a shower.

Other than that, just take it easy. No stress, no heavy lifting, stretching, etc.......
I just hate not being able to scratch this itch on my back.... ;)