Smartlipo - Flanks - Chevy Chase, MD

I am set to get smartlipo on Friday, 4/16. Judging...

I am set to get smartlipo on Friday, 4/16. Judging by the prices of those getting multiple areas done, I think that I may be paying a bit much. However, that being said, I am very happy with the doctor I chose. Although I have yet to see the product of his work, he is very well qualified on paper. At the consultation, I felt completely at ease as he took his time explaining everything to me and answering my million questions.

I'm getting sooooo nervous. I hope I don't end up lumpy like some people have complained about. My threshold for pain is pretty high, as I am clumsy and often injure myself, so I am used to it...LOL. I'm more concerned about the lumps. Those that have gotten them, how long does it take to go away? Is there anything I can do pre-op or post-op to minimize my chances?

POST OP: So, it's the day after my procedure...

POST OP:

So, it's the day after my procedure and I feel MUCH better than I did yesterday.  After the procedure, I was warned of leakage, but had NO idea it would be so much.  I had a hotel room next to the doctors office.  After I was done there, the nurse walked me to my hotel.  Silly me, I wore grey sweats.  BAD IDEA. I should have wore black.  Luckily, I had a jacket to wrap around my waist.

I was unable to eat anything for the first day.  Not because the doc told me not too, infact, he said to keep it light.  I just couldn't even keep water down.

After the meds wore off, I was in excruciating pain.  It hurt most when I got out of bed.  It didn't help that I was in the room alone and couldn't get help.  I didn't want to take another pill until I was ready to go to bed.  It helped a lot to walk around, which I had no problem doing albeit it was more like waddling.

This morning, I woke up with less pain, and the leaking is down to a minimal amount.  I was able to take my compression garment off and take a shower.  THAT WAS THE BEST PART!!  Putting the garment back on wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  I went to see my doc about getting some gauze and to just be able to walk in the sun for a bit after being stuck in a hotel room the day before.  I didn't have an appointment, but he made sure to check my incisions and the garment and just my progress in general.  And he didn't even rush.  I am sooooo pleased I went with his practice.

Now I am home and the pain is starting to increase.  Time to take a pill.

I have an appointment with the doc next week and will keep posting as I come across any situations worth posting about.

I love his work so much, I went back for a couple...

I love his work so much, I went back for a couple of more procedures. Still getting the same excellent service.

Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

My Doc has the best bed-side manner. He doesn't rush you and really makes you feel comfortable. I never felt pressured into the procedure. Nor did he try to sell me on getting other area's done. I have not had the procedure done yet, but I am confident that everything will go smoothly. His office staff are also very friendly. They are very personable and are able to answer most questions. If not, they are very quick in getting replies back from the doctor.

Hey, I am going to be going with this doctor in June and I was wondering if you have any before and adter pictures... I am soooo nervous..
You are still swollen..be patient and give it more time. I am 3+ months post op and still seeing some of the uneveness go down.
Guys, I have a question. Just got my flanks and hips done and the left side seems to have an INDENTATION on it, the right does not. Did he take too much out? I don't know what to say or think? I am definetly not proportioned. I know I am 2ns post op but really nervous. Did you guys have this issue? Kindly advise.
great to hear you are recovering well. i live in the dc area and i am researching docs to treat my upper arms. i am curious as to the cost of the procedure- as well as if the initial consultation has a fee, as i know that some docs charge. i would also like to see some pictures if you wouldnt mind! keep the updates coming :)
I guess the cost of the procedure would depend on the area. Ivy Plastic Surgery is pretty reasonable, in my opinion, for the area. I did a lot of shopping around before I decided on their practice. I don't have any after pics, but I hope to after my follow up next week. The initial consultation was free. I would call their office to confirm, just in case. They are extremely friendly and are quick to give responses to questions you may have. Let me know what you think.
I had liposculpture (multiple areas) on 3/31/10. The only area I had lumps was my flanks. Dr said it was normal and due to the swelling going down unevenly, which is true - my right side is more swollen than my left-weird. The lumps are now disappearing. I have found that gently massaging the area with arnica gel, after I shower, helps a lot. Also, wearing a tight compression garment - I had to buy another one two weeks after my procedure because the first one became too loose. As to lymphatic drainage massages, ask your Dr first, it can be counter productive to skin adhering to muscle if done too aggressively. Good luck in your recovery. I am only 2 1/2 weeks out and love my new waist ;)
***SIGH*** I guess getting lumpy was in my future. I'm not too concerned though. At two weeks in, the hardness that I am feeling is much like how scar tissue feels. For some reason I thought it would be worst. I have been massaging the areas for 15 minutes each day which, although uncomfortable, helps. I'm not using Arnica gel, but am noticing the lumps smoothing out, little by little. I love the results I am seeing so far. It's taking every ounce of restraint I have not to go out and buy smaller pants. :D I am happy to be free of the compression garment for at least part of the day. I am wearing it at night for as long as I can.
I'm not trying to be the bearer of bad news but i had my flanks and abdomen done and ONLY have lumps on my flanks. Luckily my abdomen is smooth and tight but my flanks have these horrible hard lumps. They aren't visible but definitely noticeable by touch. I didn't know any of this beforehand so I didn't do any pre-op preparation. I've been having massages done which has softened them up. I haven't heard about hot stone but I'm up for that! What I have heard is that by doing a few lyphatic drainage massages before the surgery, you're body will heal faster. Not sure if it's true but it can't hurt to try. Good luck!
What is a lyphatic drainage massage? I'm hoping for the best. I am expecting to take longer than normal to heal as I bruise very easily, but am now more concerned about lumps.
Thanks. After speaking to my doctor, he said that the flanks area is much more forgiving than the abdomen, so my risk is very minimal. But I am up for a hot stone massage any day ;).
Just keep massaging the areas you had done. Thats what my dr told me to do and I have no lumps. He also recommended hot stone massages.