Mom and Son Did This Together!! - Chester Springs, PA

I am 48 and have two teeth that have really moved...

I am 48 and have two teeth that have really moved over the last few years. They are both in the front of my mouth. I thought hey why not get this taken care of before my 50th. The dentist had told me down the road I would probably lose them. I just thought I could get a retainer or something but oh no. I was told that this would work and be less painful and no one could tell. Ok. so no one can see them but I sure can feel them. My son got them to fix a very bad overbite. He is 13 and has autism. Been a tough few years for him with acne and middle school. I thought these would be less painful and look better. Thank the lord I am suffering with him or I would feel so bad. I was told that you just have a little discomfort the first day or two when you put in a new tray. All the girls at my dentists office have them. I thought great because I hate pain and I am a big baby when it comes to the dentist. My trays were so rough that my mouth is cut up, my tongue is killing me. I expected discomfort and some pain but this sucks! It's been three days now. I went back day two and had them file the rough edges down on mine and my sons. Our tongues won't heel and are mouths are sore and still seem to be cut up. I asked the dentist about the wax and they told me that wouldn't work. Well I am running out to buy some after I post this review. I have been popping Advil for 3 days and I hate to take any meds at all. Now I want to buy stock. I think Jim Beam and I have a date tonight. My poor son. He can't concentrate on school and is missing classes. Neither one of us want's to talk and I think I will be attending his speech class on Friday with him. I need to learn to talk again. My hubby said that alone was worth the money but he will pay for that!! I am glad I found this site to moan on. I wish I had found it sooner. I would have just put two fake teeth in instead. I have 9 attachments and my son has 12. They never told my about these. I felt blindsided. NOT GOOD FOR THE ROMANCE DEPT. Well if I have to suffer my hubbys gonna suffer too. Just call me fang! I feel like a dangerous weapon. (They call me 009). I can laugh now because my trays are out as I am enjoying a cup of coffee. As I get to the bottom of the cup I am getting more anxious and it's not because of the caffeine. I can't believe I paid for this, my son was only partly covered by insurance. I hope it's worth it! For this much money I better come out looking like a super model instead of me with two straighter teeth. Oh, I am using this as a weight loss program. I don't want to eat at all. They should advertise these trays for that purpose and they would make a mint! I will have to take before and after pictures. Glad were not alone in this. Hope everyone has a great outcome.

Day 4

Wow, I woke up today with no real pain. My son still has some discomfort. I have 23 yards of mulch to move so I am hoping it will take our minds off of our teeth. I was so happy to be able to concentrate on what I have to do instead of my mouth pain. I think I can live with this. I still feel a little like Rocky. I am ready to rumble with my mouth guards in. The speech teacher said I sounded fine. She only heard a little lisp. She is now going to look into them for herself because she was told she needs braces. Wow, I wonder if Invisalign will give me a commision! Oh, and I am two pounds down. WOOHOO!! I am going to take advantage of that aspect of wearing these things. I was so glad I could see everyones before and after pictures on this sight. It really made me feel better and now I have something to look forward to. They really do work. My son felt better after seeing those pictures. I'll be back to update again!!

Two weeks in and all is calm! Keep calm and smile on!!!

Well, Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. It really has helped my son and I to keep our heads up. I was over the pain by day 4 but my son took a little longer. He is better now. For some reason we are to wear our first pair of trays for 2 1/2 weeks. Don't know why but we won't switch to our second trays until Sat. the 10th. I still talk a little funny once in a while. My son sounds fine. I still feel like I am ready to join the NHL or fight with Mohammad Ali! I remember my field hockey days and I want to carry a hockey stick with me. When I am at the store or talking to someone I don't know I find myself apologizing and explaining about my Invisalign. They will usually tell me that they didn't even notice. HMMMM. I don't know if they are just being nice. I can't wait to try the next set of trays on. I just hope the pain is not as bad. Oh and I am down 6 lbs. I am telling you they really need to market these as a weight loss program along with fixing your teeth. Much less invasive then stomach staples. I'll update in a few days after we put in our 2nd trays. Thanks again for the help!
Chester Springs Family Dentistry

Love everyone there. Great service. Wonderful group.

Yay, welcome back, and with such great news!  How is your son doing with compliance?
I'm glad its going well for you. I have found the same thing - the only one who notices the aligners is you! Not others. Seeing them, feeling them, dealing with them -- is all you! As for the length of time you wear each tray, that probably depends on how diligent you are to sticking to the 22 hours rule. A very hard rule! I use a timer to keep me on track. Otherwise its surprising how the minutes slip away and add on. But I'm sure your dentist has a good reason to extend the timing of your trays. Good luck on tray 2!
My email said you updated but I can't see it…?
Hi!  Just checkin in to see how things are going for you….
Hang in there. I'm only on tray 2. We all know how you feel. I think the big thing for me was not knowing all the "side effects". My sore mouth no longer has little blisters. I have learned not to run my tongue down the edges of the invisaligners to keep it from getting scratched up. You are right about not snacking because you don't want to put the aligners in and out any more than you have to. (I have 18 attachments and I cannot 'pop' my aligners out - I must pry them out of my mouth.) While it may sound like you lisp to you, people just don't hear it like you do. Hopefully the pain just turns into pressure. Right now the world revolves around your aligners. I feel the same way. Good luck to you and your son!
Yay!  Time wins again :D.  It really is rare for the pain to last weeks, though we have a couple on here.  Glad to know you're not one of them!!!
You poor thing!  You made me laugh, but I kinda feel bad, because you're in pain.  But it gets better!  I promise!  And the orthodontic wax does work, as long as everything is dry when you put it on.  I used it a lot in the beginning.

I'm so glad you found us to moan on--that's what we're for!  Let me give you some names so you can look around the community :).  We have a growing number of people who are pursuing invisalign past their twenties.  We actually have a couple in their sixties!  But here are a few to get you started:

fab45mom is also quite new, but active here on RealSelf. She's 45.
Kristen1166 is 47 and a few months into treatment.
AreYouKiddingMe is fifty and just started April 1.
sheemoho just started April 17 and was having a little pain, too.

I look forward to following your progress and hearing that things are improving for you!