Need to Replace Front Tooth Crown - Cheshire, CT

I have my front 4 teeth crowns(had a bike accident...

I have my front 4 teeth crowns(had a bike accident years ago) last year my 3 year old head butted me and knocked one out! I took the opportunity to save and buy all 4 new ones because I never really loved the original ones anyway. It was a long, expensive,(out of pocket) experience. And last week my toddler (1yr old) knocked one of my brand new (year old) teeth out and even shattered the tooth nub underneath the crown!! So I have been to two dentists this week and both gave me a different opinion. One said the tooth is too broken to get a new crown and that I need a dental implant. And the other said a dental implant is too risky if my jaw bone is too thin and breaks or can't support it, so he suggested a crown with a longer post . I'm so confused but I'm going to spend the next week checking out different dentists (cosmetic ones) to see which one to get(what my options are) I hate mouth work, I'm very scared, but I need a tooth. Would love to hear suggestions.
Hi!  I'm really sorry you're going through this.  It sounds like you've had just terrible luck :(.  I read a story of another woman on here actually who broke a tooth when her son head-butted her accidentally.  Glad my daughters aren't that wild!

I don't really understand, though.  A crown is either placed on the prepared tooth or on an implant.  It sounds like both doctors are suggesting an implant, only one is suggesting a longer post?  Or‚Ķmaybe you can clarify?

Tooth extracted (response to question below) also

Hi so sorry that wasn't clear.
I had the tooth extracted yesterday and I have a flipper for now. I have 3 consult apts in the next two weeks. My only option now is a dental implant because the tooth is extracted. (Super scared) but what I was trying to say was that underneath the crown the natural tooth was broken so the dentist said I couldn't get another crown because the natural tooth that the crown would be screwed into was too broken and too small. So he said I need an implant (screwed into jawbone) then a crown gets placed over that. The way I understand this is that the only good thing about this option is that it's a little stronger thus more permanent than a crown that gets screwed into a natural filed down tooth because that way weakens over time which is why this prob happened so easily. But the other dentist said the natural tooth, although broken, still had enough solid tooth (under the gum, not visible to me) to screw a bigger (not sure if he meant longer or thicker) post into it. and go with just a crown, without implant. Just like what I had before. He thought this is the better option because he said there is risk with implant and it's best to always try to save the tooth if you can.
This is no longer an option for me though because I had the tooth extracted altogether. I feel that the implant is better because it's stronger and I'm really hoping that because of its strength this is less likely to happen again. I can't go through this again. I have had bad luck with teeth and boobs, lol. I suppose it can still happen though because I still have 3 other crowns. Ugh! I just didn't want to keep drilling into an already weak tooth. I hope I made the right choice.

I'm brave for putting this up, so embarrassing

Pic of my missing tooth and my flipper tooth which I think came out great! If only it weren't so uncomfortable!

Omg didn't load again

How do I delete the previous posts?

Teeth

Teeth
The flipper looks great! So brave : )
Okay, I took care of the blank uploads for you :).  I'm also moving you to Dental Implants because that's a more appropriate community for you :).

Thank you for all the pictures and the clarifications!  I didn't realize they sometimes screwed into a tooth, but I'm still learning every day on here!  You will find all sorts of opinions to support everything you may or may not want to do.  In the end, you choose the doctor you trust.  And your implant is going to work.  I know I've seen one person on here who says to get a ceramic (instead of metal) implant if you can.  I think it's rare to be able to find those.  I think the idea is that some people are very sensitive to metals.  Otherwise, everyone else around here is very positive about their implants, and you're young enough and had a tooth recently enough not to need a graft, which is fantastic.  Your result will be beautiful either way.  The tricky bit is to match your other teeth.  But your flipper does look beautiful!

It's gonna be okay, and I'm excited to see how it turns out!
Thank you for your encouraging words!!

3 consults

Have been to 3 consults
More confused now as to who to go to. I just want it to look good.
I actually joined just so I could comment on this. I'm a dental assistant, not a doctor, but I'm familiar with this type of situation as well as the terminology and I thought I could help clarify. What the second doctor was saying is that not everyone is a candidate for an implant. I'm not sure what diagnostic tests/ x-rays you had done prior to these consultations and if he was giving a hypothesis or actually saying that he'd examined your records and your jawbone might be too thin. Implants have a very high success rate, but certain factors can reduce the chance of them lasting, or even taking hold, and sometimes, they fail for no apparent reason at all. This is another reason why it's a good idea to try to save the tooth whenever you can. The post would have been to help strengthen the build-up of the tooth. With so much structure gone, he would have had to essentially build a tooth out of filling material on top of the broken tooth and its root. Without something solid (the post) joining the two together, it would have been more prone to breaking. Because he was unsure of the prognosis of an implant, he felt the best thing to do was to extend the life of the natural tooth for as long as possible. With that said, what's done is done and the tooth is gone now. If it were me, I would seek out another opinion to verify my jawbone could handle the stress of an implant. It's one thing to lose a tooth, but I can't imagine the agony that would come with a broken jaw. If another doctor expressed concern over the thin jaw, and there was no easy fix (bone grafting MIGHT be an option, but, again, I'm not a doctor) I would probably avoid the implant and go with a bridge.... but that's just me. In regard to the strength of the implant itself, it really depends on what material the implant is made from and who makes the parts. Depending on where the dentist orders from, you might get parts that cost him less than a buck or hundreds of dollars. Obviously, the dentists who cheap out on materials will have a much lower success rate. The cheap implants are more likely to snap, cause infection or not integrate with the bone. Each of these things can cause total implant failure and set you back to square one. But, again, even expensive implants can fail too. Additionally, a huge component in the success of the implant is the dentist's skill level. I would strongly suggest that you ask each dentist you are considering what his success rate is. Or, ask how many implant cases he has had in the last two years and then ask how many have failed. I think the average is about 97-98% success. This is incredibly long-winded, so sorry for that. I just wanted to clear stuff up. :) Anyway, implant failure is pretty rare, as long as you're a good candidate. The mention of a thin jawbone worries me, but if the other two you've seen didn't take issue with it, you're probably ok. Best of luck to you.
Great info. I'm contemplating a dental implant that's going to cost $3500. So I want to know it's the best option and being done right before I allow someone to remove the tooth I have and over fork over that much money. Now I know a little more about what questions to ask.
I would have chosen the variant proposed by the second doctor, whose philosophy is to always try to save the tooth if you can. That is such a rare doctor nowadays! I see that my opinion comes late because you have already had the tooth extracted. You know, it is much easier for a doctor to jump to the simpler and "more predictable" solution (extraction+implant), but few of them inform you that an implant is not like a real tooth (as it is often advertised, implants being big business). A natural tooth has a periodontal ligament which absorbs shocks from occlusal forces, thus protecting the bone from frictional wear overtime. Even a tooth's root can last for many, many years, or even your entire lifetime, if restored properly with a post and crown. Moreover, although the dental implant itself is strong, that doesn't mean the oral tissues surrounding it are equally resistant to wear, infection, etc. I wish you good health. Perhaps you might like to inform us of how your implant feels, when you have it done.