Restylane Under Eyes: Bruising or Discoloration?

Two weeks ago I had Restylane placed under my eyes...

Two weeks ago I had Restylane placed under my eyes to fill eye hollows that I have had since I can remember. I am 25 and I felt like they had been getting worse as the baby fat left my face. I also had radiesse for my cheeks. The treatment itself wasn't very painful, just a few pin pricks and maybe some pressure with the radiesse. I left the office with a good amount of swelling in my cheeks and under eyes (nothing grotesque). The swelling gradually decreased and I LOVE my new cheeks. But I am having some issues with my undereyes. I didn't notice much if any bruising under my eyes immediately after the procedure. I did massage my undereyes a good bit last week and I am hoping that is what caused some of my new-found bruising/discoloration under my eyes. The discoloration is not blue as discribed in the tyndall effect, but more of a purple/reddish color. There are two defined lines going from the inner corner of my eye to the middle of my eye by my cheek. There is also some diffused darkness throughout my under eye. I have never had any dark circles, just the illusion of them because of the shadow created by the hollows prior to the restylane injection. I have made a follow up appointment for next week and really really hope to see some improvement as the week goes on. I have included the following photos.

Cherry Hill Oculoplastic Surgeon

Very Friendly, Patient and willing to answer any questions. I feel she did a fabulous job on my cheeks. Just waiting for the undereyes.

i still have discoloration after 8 months of Restylane under myeyes injection..any suggestion?
I had juvederm first,,got a severe bruise after..tooks months to heal..was left was hyperpigmentation..got a bit better after a year..decided to get restaylne with a PS..the tear troughs look good..but had bad swelling for 5 five day..and back to awful looking hyperpigmenation..having lazer treatment now..bit it looks a bit swollen..hoping this will not be permanent..probably will not use any fillers after these two experiences..bought camoflauge conceler by estee lauder conceals pretty good..any recommendations on how to get rid of the pigmentation?
Oh Man!!! This is what is happening with me. I had the restylyn put under my eyes and they turned purple. She then did laser on me to fix the broken caps. It didn't work so she did it more aggressively. My eyes swelled up huge and now I have way more broken caps and it looks awful. I was under the impression that they would not go away on their own.
Hey! Yep, hydroquinone drastically improved my discoloration, but it think it was also because of time. I think my filler has disolved a bit, including the radiesse I had put in my cheeks. I am definitely considering more filler in the future with my new PS. I have a lot of confidence in his skill. Plus, all his assistants/nurses have had filler done by him and they look fantastic. My PS just suggested using the hydroquinone for a few weeks prior to injection to reduce the risk of new hyperpigmentation. The cream I used was from his skincare line, but any 4% cream would do. Goodluck!
Hi Jessie Rose! So glad to hear that your discoloration is improving. I'm not sure if mine is quite yet but I have not tried hydroquinone cream. What kind did you use? So glad you have gotten better! Do you feel like your filler has dissolved any? Also, do you feel like your filler feels firm under the skin. I am concerned that my filler feels firm and I am wondering if I have any scar tissue around the filler. Glad you are doing better :)
HI, Thank you for your info. I now realize that what I thought was discoloration is actually a shadow from bags that are forming under my eyes. Any idea how to minimize or correct this new problem?
Sometimes Restylane can draw alot of water into it, creating bags. My under eyes were a little puffy for a few weeks following the injections but did settle down. The best thing that I think you can do is see your PS an see what they say. Most likely they will ask u to wait it out for a little. If the bags do not improve and are caused by overfilling the product can be dissolved.
The blue tinge is the filler showing through. My discoloration ended up being hyperpigmentation and broken capillaries. I resolved the hyperpigmenation with hydroquinone and reduced broken capillaries with vit. K. Lumps can soften with time. A really good concealer is Keromask. You can get samples from beautycafe.com for cheap and they last a LONG time. Goodluck!!
I'm having the same problem, but my discoloration looks more blue. I was so happy the day of the injection that I didn't bruise much, but I'm 3 weeks out and it's not getting any better. There's also a very pronounced bump at one of the sites. I'm going back next week, but I'm having trouble covering it up with makeup. Very frustrating!!
Thanks for the update! I'm glad the second PS spent more time with you and gave you some thoughtful feedback. Did the PS say how long it would take for the filler to go away?also, was he able to reassure you that te discoloration was temporary? My worst fear is that the discoloration will be permanent. I think I am seeing some very slow improvement..some is better than none! I find that having a spray tan really camoflauges the darkness. I also have gotten really good with make up! Take care an let me know how things go with the cream :)
He I'd not tell me how long he felt the filler would last, but did say that the discoloration would resolve, more quickley with the cream or eventually on it's own. I'm pretty awesome with makeup now too. I'll keep u updated, it will be two months with the filler and discoloration at the end of June.
Jessica, I went to the appt. with the second plastic surgeon and I feel that it went pretty well. He spent alot of time talking to me, and I didn't feel rushed as I did with my original P.S. He told me that he is 90% sure that the discoloration is hyperpigmentation, and gave me some hydroquinone lotion to try for two months. The tough part is having to be patient and wait for the cream to work. I have to live with the assymetry of my tear troughs until the pigmentation clears up. The P.S. said he was uncomfortable injecting anymore fillers until then. Its still a bummer looking in the mirror and I'm still kicking myself for not leaving "well enough alone". But I guess I am happy that I did not choose a longer lasting filler under my eyes and that it will be gone eventually. I guess we are just the unlucky 0.1% of people who had wierd adverse reactions. Hope you are doing well, and maybe seeing some improvement!
how often did you use hydroquinone lotion? I use it twice a day morning and night.It gave a red skin and burning sensation..now i am only using it at nigh.
Any improvement Jessie?
Not really, Just did a at home TCA peel under my eyes to see if the pigmentation would fade. I feel like I change my mind on what exactly is causing the color change like every week! Right now, when I look real close and pull the skin tight where the discoloration is, it almost looks like little broken capillaries. Little itty bitty red streaks. But there is a definate purple color near my inner eye. I bought some vitamin K cream and will be trying that when I get it in the mail. My skin is still peeling from TCA so I will let you know if I see any improvement from that. My appointment is the 10th of June, I will let you know what this doctor says. Hopefully he will have some answers or even theories!
Hi Jessie, Sorry it took me a while to reply. I feel that I am seeing some slow improvement..or maybe I am just getting used to my new darker under eyes. Not really sure..My Dr. assures me that this is not permanent so I am trying to stay optimistic. How did the peel go? I hope your Dr.'s appt. on the 10th goes well and I hope you get some answers. :)
I'm sorry your ps was not able to give you a better answer that is very frustrating. Did she tell you that the bruising/discoloration would go away? I don't have any pictures on this site and I have yet to take any pictures without make up. If I do I will send them to you. Have you seen any imrovement so far? I have not but I have found Laura mercier secret concealer that helps a lot. Keep me updated and let me know what the next ps says.
Went to my follow-up appointment today and it was a waste of time. The PS didn't even really acknowledge I had a problem and just wanted to add more filler here and there AND charge me another 500 dollars for it. The before and after photos clearly showed the pigment change and I even showed her my own photos taken at home. Needless to say I will be consulting another PS that specializes in filler for a second opinion. **Sigh**
I wonder if that's it, that the restylane pushed my muscle up. I think vitamin K helps with that? I'm using arnica gel on my dark lines, it's only been a couple days so I think it's too early for results. My appt is on Wednesday so Ill let u know the doctor says. Perhaps we all had too thin skin? I've never had pigment problems until now. Suggestion for makeup: benefits line has a kit called "confessions of a concealaholic" works pretty good but is kinda pricey. Hopefully Ill get good news. Jessica keep me updated on ur laser treatments. Do you have any pictures of your discoloration? We can compare?
No, both dr.s said I did not have too much. Both dr.s are also have a lot of experience with this procedure. I would reccomend dr. Brody but keep in mind you are injecting a foreign material into your body and you don't know how your body will react. You will probably be fine but if you are worried now and have a bad gut feeling about it then don't do it. If I would have taken the time to read lots of reviews and ask lots of questions like you are I might not be in the situation I am in right now. I just hope I don't have permanent discoloration.
Same exact thing happened to me, it has been almost three months and my discoloration did not appear until a week afterwards. I am so sick about thus because my dr. Did not warn me about this possible side effect. Let us know what your ps says and if you see any improvement. I'm really curious what is causing my discoloration too bc it is not blue, it's more purple/ greyish.
Has there been any change or improvement for you? Have u considered having it dissolved? Is discoloration in a line or more diffuse under your eyes, and was the area over filled? Mine is concentrated in two lines and then there is diffuse darkening all under my eye. My hollows actually appear to be under corrected as well. Sorry for all the questions! Just looking for someone to compare with.
Hi Jessie, sorry to say there has not been a whole lot of improvement. I went to see a specialist in Atlanta, Dr. Harold Brody, who has written work published on hylarounidase. (The enzyme that dissolves retylane) He looked at my discoloration and said it was not tyndall effect. He used a pulsed dye laser to get rid of some of the redness caused by tons of new blood vessels formed from the injections. It helped very slightly but there is still a line of discoloration from my tear duct area down the side of my nose that goes down further than my original hollow/dark circle. There is also darkness that is diffused throughout. Dr. Brody said that some of the original under eye darkness I had before the injections was brought to the surface more with the restylane pushing the muscle up.It is very hard to cover with make up. I also feel like the restylane has migrated to my upper cheek/side of nose area. I can barely feel any restylane on my orbital bone where it was originally placed a few months ago. Now I have chubbier cheeks and darker circles. This has been a very upsetting experience. We should keep each other updated and please let me know what your Dr. says at your follow up. I sincerely hope your situation improves very soon. I know what its like to look at yourself in the mirror and not recognize yourself. Take Care.
I should say that Dr. Harold Brody was not the Dr. who did my original injections that caused the discoloration. I am going to post a review of the original Dr. soon when I get pictures uploaded. Also, I should add that Dr. Brody said I would need 2 to 3 sessions of pulsed dye laser. At this point, I am going to wait until after my wedding in 8 weeks because I do not want to risk swelling/ more discoloration from laser. I was very swollen after the first pulsed dye laser session but I was warned that would be a possible and it subsided within a week like Dr. BRody said it would.
Hi Jessica and Jessie -- I was just wondering if you all thought you had too much resty placed? I've been considering having this same procedure, but am rather worried now. I have really fair skin and think the darkness will show up even worse. I've also thought about setting up a consult with Dr. Brody. Does he have more experience with this type of procedure than your original injector? Just curious