Peel Experience and Two Tips

There are so many different types of peels that...

There are so many different types of peels that it's hard to say 'good' or 'bad' overall. It really depends on the type of skin one has, the type of peel, medical history, and so forth. But I've just done the new beta peel b-liftx and I have two very important tips: 1) If you have the cold sore virus -- herpes simplex -- you MUST take an anti-viral before, during, after. I broke out in two places after the peel, even with two anti-viral pills. I didn't quite realize how quickly the acid treatment could activate the virus. 2) Do NOT pick at the flaking skin. I should have known this. I did know this. Of course, everyone knows this. But I didn't quite realize that scarring would almost certainly result from picking at the flaking skin. Indeed, I have scarring now where I lifted off skin that wasn't quite dead. That's not so pleasant to contemplate but it must be said as a cautionary warning. On the whole, I am going to stick with retinoids. I think they are more effective in the long term and do not result in anything like the same trauma to the skin.

Updating my review: the scarring is not permanent of course but it did take a couple of weeks for my skin tone to even out. I still use retin A regularly and prefer it. Regular maintenance seems better than dramatic intervention, at least for my skin.
I just had an Obagi Blue Peel (weak TCA treatment). I think I've done the same with the peeling of skin that might not have been quite dead. How long did it take for your scarring to disappear. I have what look like masses of broken blood vessels also. Did you have that? I'm freaking out!
I had a TCA peel at the recomendation of the nurse practioner at Black Swan in Spring Hill. Stacy said it would help with fine lines and brown spots. Well it made the lines worse. They were deeply indented after the peel and the brown spots were the same. I went back to let her see, hoping she would do something but she got mad and basically slammed the door. I had spent alot of money there over years and was terribly hurt and disappointed and now I have ruined skin. Definately do not recommend the peel or that spa.