NEEDED - Abdominal/ Flank Lipo & Possible Fat Grafting to Side of Buttocks - Charlotte, NC

After a year of lurking on realself, I decided...

After a year of lurking on realself, I decided that its time for me to finally post about what I am looking for, in hopes of help from the community.

I am a 23 year old female, 5'10, 168lbs, and I am interested in getting liposuction to my abdomen and flanks. Over the past year, I became obsessed with realself, but realized after 3 consultations with doctors in the Charlotte area, I needed to change my lifestyle before trying cosmetic surgery. So over this time, I lost 30 lbs (YAYYYYY!!), and I became so much happier with the person looking back at me in the mirror. Even though overall, I had lost more weight than I thought I could, I still want more (of course!). Although I'm still not at my goal weight of 150lbs, I am ready to move forward with getting liposuction.

In February 2013, I was injected with a kenalog steroid by my family practitioner to treat severe hives. Unfortunately, I noticed after a couple of months that I had a huge indentation in my right buttock, where the shot was given to me. I researched it, and found out that this occurs when the steroid is inserted into the tissue, and not into the muscle. Long story short, the Dr. admitted to their fault and asked for me to wait a few months to see if it will heal naturally. As of September 2013, the indentation and discoloration is still there. The Dr. consulted a cosmetic surgeon and was informed that fat grafting could reverse the issue, so now I am looking to get fat grafting on the side of my buttock. The indentation is horrible! I am also adamant about the Dr. paying for the procedure since my insurance will not cover it.

Long story shortened down just a tad, I need help from the community! I am willing to travel to my plastic surgeon, if he/she is the ONE! I need recommendations. I've read great stories, and bad. I've seen great results from one doctor, and in the same breath, results that were lackluster. Some doctors that have caught my attention...

1. Dr. Kortesis (Charlotte) - I had a great consultation with him, his facility was nice, and I corresponded with an amazing woman last year who used him, and helped me during my consultation. However, his price with everything included is $12,000, which seems too pricey.

2. Dr. Jimerson (Atlanta) - The pictures of his BBLs are amazing! Although I dont want the BBL, I see the lipo that he has done on the girls abdomens, and think he can do a great job. Downside is that it is impossible to reach the office. I have emailed, with no response, and called to only be disconnected without being able to leave a voicemail. Last year I did get quick responses back via email, but I think that since he has blown up on tv (Love & Hip Hop), things have changed.

3. Dr. David Hansen - Have you seen SarahSorge's before and after? Her tummy is absolutely gorgeous! I am definitely considering Dr. Hansen, but want to make sure that he is THE Dr. since is located all the way in Beverly Hills.

Please provide me with any feedback that you may have. I have uploaded pics from a year ago, today, and wish list pics! Although I am only 23 and could probably work my ass off in the gym to get the rest of this fat off, Im ready to treat myself and transform my tummy! I've never had a "wash board" tummy, and I definitely think it's time!

Thank you all!!

Hello CharlotteBelle, I seen your pics posted and must say you are my dream "after photo" I am only twenty pounds heavier than you but body shapes can be so unfair. Do your research just as you are doing and I am sure you will find someone who is trained and in your area that can provide you with a great result. It all depends on your expectations. Expectations are what make or break us. There are never any guarantees of outcomes so it's a gamble always. But just my opinion, is that you are gorgeous just as you are but no matter who you choose you should have a wonderful result depending on what you are reaching for. Liposuction will NEVER give you a washboard tummy only muscle training can do that. It can however flatten your tummy since there isn't much there. Be prepared for some pain too. This surgery is no walk in the park like they make it seem. Whatever you decide we are all here for you! Take care, FayeAnn
FayeAnn, thanks so much for reaching out and for the really nice compliments! The journey of weight loss & achieving the "perfect" body is such a roller coaster. This time last year, I was so obsessed with getting the surgery, but then realized that I needed to change my own habits. Even after 30lbs and a large reduction in body fat percentage, I'm still not 100% happy. This is why I have come back to the idea of having lipo. I realized after reading so many reviews that the healing process is way more extraneous than I assumed. This definitely scares me! I have read your review as well, and you have had pains that I never thought I would have to face. The main issue that I have faced is not finding a doctor in my area that I feel can provide me with the results that I am looking for. I have found doctors in other states, but I am fearful about not being co-located with my surgeon. I definitely have a lot to think about and will be deciding over the next month whether or not I will move forward with the procedure and with whom I will trust to perform it. I will definitely keep you updated! Again, thanks for reaching out and I look forward to hearing more about your journey post op.
Hi Charlotte, Congratulations on reaching one of your goals! I am sorry about the steroid injection; I had that same experience (for a different reason; but the steroid caused tissue disintegration). Because you are 23 I would really really wish that you reconsider your train of thought that heads towards liposuction. You will always be able to find a doctor to do it because it makes him money. However, think about how young you are, and how able you are to continue to get your body to a healthy place where you are happy about how you look. I do think you look great. And I think if you look very closely at lipo examples you will see a very unfeminine and boxy look. The person you mentioned has only JUST had her surgery done and while the raves are there; it's just not been long enough to really know how it will affect the body. Personally I can tell you that lipo will cause you changes that are not what you expected. Of course immediately after you might feel it looks great. However consider the fact that any sort of fat storage your body naturally wants to have in the future will be in other areas of your body (breasts, thighs, back, arms, neck, face, etc). This is proven. You can't control it either. That means that if you want to have children, any fat gain during pregnancy will go towards these other areas. And so on. Consider that doctors make a lot of money on this procedure and will tell most women they are "perfect candidates" when really, who IS the perfect candidate? Also, they will not pay for any revision you might need if their surgery does not produce your desired results. I know it seems like a perfect fix; but I can guarantee it is not. Most pics you see are only a few months out. The real changes happen at a year out and further. This is what happened to me. I did not even have a large amount taken out (you can look at my review that tells my story). I had to get rid of most of my clothes at one year. Now I really suffer daily from body image problems and discomfort caused by this procedure. I have some pain, a ring of loose skin around my mid section (I had a plastic surgeon consult with me about this) and large rolls under my breasts to the side and upper ab. I have always been a slender woman. And so this result is very disturbing and uncomfortable to me. Finally, consider the health effects. When fat is removed through lipo, then it will redistribute through the body, including dangerous visceral fat around the organs. This kind of fat can cause many health problems. It may seem that I am a disgruntled person who had a bad result. But if you look at my review you will see that I was very happy at first. I am not against cosmetic procedures at all and I get botox (when I can afford it) and I just had my eyelids done (with a very highly qualified plastic surgeon). I just think that this procedure is a boatload of sorrows in store. Good luck; and remember you are only 23 and you did great work already, and you can truly get to where your body needs to be and you look fantastic!

Wish Pictures

So, I forgot to include my wish list pictures on my first review... My thoughts have been that once I get all of this fat out, I can really work hard in the gym to get those abs & continue to reduce my body fat. "Helenes Transformation" really gives me hope that with a trusted Dr. and motivation to eat right and exercise even after the surgery, you can have the body that you have always wanted. Then on the other hand, I think about everything that could go wrong and I am petrified!

I didnt realized how harsh the recovery is, and how long you have to wear the garments for! I have been blessed to have great elastic skin, no stretch marks at all (even with the gaining and losing weight of 30+ lbs), and a curvaceous body structure. So sometimes I wonder am I just being too vain? Then again, its something that I feel will make me even happier when I look in the mirror.

I'll be making my decision in the next few weeks. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed! Thanks to everyone who has reached out to me thus far.

Charlottebelle if you still get these messages I'd love to provide you some info that can help!
You are beautiful as you are but I totally understand your desire to do this. I hope you get the results you want. Just be 100% prepared for the emotional highs and lows. I think everyone looks great the day after surgery but swelling can happen at any time, even 4 weeks post op like mine did, and totally play with your mind. The more reviews I read the more I realise that not everyone has great results. Some people have superb results and others have issues. You are young and your skin looks in great shape so with a good PS that really knows how to sculpt your body rather than just suck out the fat you should look amazing. I wish you all the best. Keep us updated when you have made the decision.
I have to wonder, too, if anyone who has 'superb' results later on down the line considering fat re-distribution and subsequent health problems. I wonder how many posts results one year on post op. Because at first, it can look awesome.