Implants Removed, and Fat Transfer - Charlotte, NC

I had my implants removed and fat...

I had my implants removed and fat grafting/transfer to my breasts. I chose this procedure because I wanted to feel natural. I also wanted my implants out forever. I am 59 years old and had my first implants at age 24. I researched the fat graft/transfer procedure, and plastic surgeons for several months.

I am 5 weeks post surgery. I feel great, and look great too! I no longer have the round look of implants. Dr. Bedner was able to put the fat in the right places to give my a lovely feminine shape, including cleavage which I never had. Oh, then there is the side benefit of fat taken away from my stomach, saddlebags gone, thighs slimmer, and a cuter shape to my derrière. Oh my such a pleasing outcome!

Ok folks, can you tell how please this 59 year old patient is :) Yes I totally recommend this procedure, I must also say, CHOOSE YOUR DOCTOR WISELY!

I went bra shopping for the first time since...

I went bra shopping for the first time since surgery. Did not figure it out so bought none. Today tried on bras that I wore with implants... They fit! I was amazed that I look so much better and so natural that I also thought my size was smaller due to less projection. I am so soft and natural and still a c cup with out looking fake. I love this! Thank you Dr. Bednar. If I figure out how to add pictures I will. I might call Sylvia at office to help.

Fat transfer for breast augmentation, Love it! Update!

I am now 3 months post op., and I feel great! My breast have settled to a pretty B cup with a lovely shape, and cleavage. Perfect size for this 5'2" athletic frame, almost 60 year old body. The lipo Dr. B did gave me my premenopausal body back, even better actually! No more saddlebags, no big tummy, a shapely derrière , and a waist! So happy I did this!

Now almost 4 months.

Still very happy with results. Just upped my work out time doing Zumba. Used this sight to take photos, but not sure if it worked .

Yea!!! Photos up!

I added photos! Looks really good for someone my age ;)
Thank you Dr. Bednar!

overdue update

I am still so pleased with my decision to do implant removal, and lipo for fat grafting to the breasts. Some new folks need reassurance for whatever their decisions and I am here to support these ladies. I am adding new photos, and also want everyone to know that I am almost 60 years old. Age does not really matter in most things, but our body does age.

My new photos

rrrrr, having trouble doing this again. Will try again tomorrow!
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

The time I spent doing research was invaluable in helping me make the right decision. I chose Dr. Bednar in Charlotte, NC. Dr. Bednar has done this procedure hundreds of times, and has continued training and education in this procedure with Dr. Khoori from the U of Miami, Fl. I found Dr. Bednar while researching this procedure. Another benefit of choosing Dr. Bednar was his delightful, AND informed staff. In the front office was Sylvia. She was so well informed, friendly, and always open to many,many questions including more questions the night before my surgery. All the nurses were wonderful, and the anesthesia nurse just fabulous, and so reassuring and informative.

You look great green55! I'm looking into implant removal and fat transfer with Dr. Bednar also. Did he do both at the same time? How much fat did he transfer? How much remains? What size were you before implants?
Hi ShanteIH, I had all procedures done at the same time; implant removal, lipo and fat transfer to breasts. Without implants I did not fit into an AA bra. With implants I was a generous C cup. I told Dr. Bednar My wish for final outcome was to have a modest B cup. I am 5'3, and almost sixty years old. I am very, very pleased with the whole procedure. One great perk that I did not anticipate...cleavage! Never great cleavage with implants.
I saw one girls post who at 11 months looked great and then at 1 and a half years later the fat was completely gone. So I will be watching you to see what what you look like, please keep us updated:) and thank you for the review so far has been a big help
I will try to add photos this week. I am almost 1 year post, and continue to be very pleased with my results. Dr. Bednar does beautiful work.
Dear SAO, saw your post op pics. You look great!
Thank you! I'm looking forward to your pics
That's great green! I plan to do the same (explant/capsulectomy/fat transfer) soon! Did you have both done at the same time? How much of the fat took?
I had everything done at the same time. Post surgery I was a very large C cup. My hope was to and up a B cup. One year out now I have beautifully shaped B cup breasts. I am almost 60 years old and petite. To this day I think this is the best present I have ever given myself.
Hi there, I was wondering if Dr. Bednar did a full capsulectomy when he performed your explantation or did he leave the capsule in? I am looking to have an explantation and possible fat transfer and looking for a skilled Dr who can do both the capsulectomy and fat transfer. Thanks so much, looking forward to your reply!
Dr, Bednar did what was necessary to make make surgery a success. We talked about it before surgery and the full scope of scarring and capsule can not be know until surgery takes place. I am one year post surgery. My results are amazing, and my breast are a beautifully shaped B cup. I feel this surgery is the best present I have ever given myself!
Hello, I am bout to have the procedure done and am wondering if I will be able to walk around and go grocery shopping and stuff right after surgery. How was it for you? How much pain were you in and how long did it take for you to walk around and do errands?
Dear Sao151, I do not think you will be out and about doing errands for a few days. For me the worst of the pain was from the lipo/fat grafting. I was driving and doing some things within a week. Each patient is different, and the doctor will help you decide what activities are safe for you to undertake. Good luck with your procedure. Again for me, I am still very pleased I did this procedure.
Great results! you look fab. Very pleased I read your story. I'm 56, I had my implants out 6 months ago, had some fat grafting, but am very small. Am trying to decide whether to go for more fat grafting or implants, but am scared of more Capsular Contracture , an unnatural look and being too big. Your story and seeing your photos have really helped, particularly because you got those results without the Brava system. ( don't want to go that route, any case, my PS does not use it. Just curious, what were you told about fat retention and re-absorption rate and have you found that the fat grafting stayed now that you are several months postop?
Hi Pink, I am still very pleased with my decision! I told Dr. Bednar that I did not want to have a large chest. My hope was for a nice B cup. The pictures that are up were taken a few months post surgery, and I was still a very full C cup. I was told that I would lose some of the fat from transfer and that loss would be gradual up to six months out. Well I am well past the 6 months, and I am very please. My breasts have settled into a 36 B cup, and shaped very nicely. I do not miss the round projectile look of implants at all! I love the shape, movement, softness, and cleavage of this wonderful natural look. For me, at this age, and my body size it all works together, and to be honest I do not miss the fat he had to " take" from my saddlebags, or waist, thighs, and hips :) Would do this operation again in a heartbeat!
Thanks for reply, it is very encouraging. I'm meeting with my ps next week ( who is really in favourite of fat grafting) to find out more about other patients he has done and their results, the lipo method he uses etc. I know he has trained in the US. I do have some some spare fat on hips and thighs rhat I could do without so I don't have the skinny problem that some other people have. Plenty fat to harvest- it must just stay in the newly designated area.... Very grateful for this site and people like you who are willing to share their experiences. My local friends can't really relate to my issues around this.
Your results look very good! I was considering fat transfer at the time of implant removal with Dr. Khouri, but could not afford all the necessary travel and time off of work. I am still considering future fat transfer, but really not liking the thought of using the Brava system first! At least I know fat transfer works with the right doc. There is a doctor who trained under Dr. Khouri in California, which would be closer to me.
Hi tiff, I did not use Brava at all. Because I had implants there was already room for the fat, and the blood supply for the skin and tissue was already there. Not sure why you would need brava if you had implants. Remember, Dr. Khouri is the creator, so I would guess he is also financial beneficiary from the sale of brava.
Dr. Khouri's office did tell me that if I had explant and fat graft at the same time, I would not need to use Brava, but since I will be doing it at a later time if I decide to do it, I would think my skin will have shrunk and I wont have the space left. So I am thinking I would have to use the Brava system, which really sounds unappealing.
I came on RealSelf to find out about autologous fat transfers. I'm glad I did. I found Dr. Brent Moellekin in Beverly Hills, near where I live. I decided to just have the implants out, and maybe see about a fat transfer later. He took one look at my breast, sent me to Pink Lotus Breast Center immediately, where I was diagnosed with advanced, inflammatory breast cancer. My other doctor, who had put replaced the implants a year before, had seen my breast and had scheduled me for just removal. If I hadn't been looking on this site, I would be walking around now unknowingly with breast cancer that would probably have metastasized, if it hasn't already.
OMG Janiecarol , I am so sorry to hear this news. Thank God Doctor M. saw something not right. Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you will be ok.
Please keep us posted. Remember, Fight like a girl !
janiecarol I pray everything was caught in time and that you're healthy.
Amazing results, congratulations! I am considering possible fat grafting at some point in the future, so it is encouraging to hear about good outcomes with the procedure.
Thanks, I am so happy I did this!
How long will it last? I'm thinking about getting mine out too.