Oh Boy Here We Go...- Charlotte, NC

After about a month of being a voyeur I decided to...

After about a month of being a voyeur I decided to go ahead and set up an account. I am scheduled for lipo and fat transfer to the breast in just over a month. I have run the gamut from scared to death what the hell am I thinking to extremely exited about how great I will look. I have been self conscious about my thighs ever since I was a teenager and vowed that I would do something about it one day. I started putting away a little money years ago and it suddenly dawned on me this year that I had enough and there was no reason why I couldn't go for an evaluation. I never considered enhancing my breasts but once I learned about fat transfer I thought why not. I used to be a very full C and then I lost about 40 pounds. My breasts turned into little sacs. Given my body style and the state of my breasts I was the perfect candidate for fat transfer.

I appreciate everyone's posts. It has been extremely helpful to understand the different experiences and all of the suggestions from diets to clothing.

My stats: 43 years old; 5'1"; 128; very physically active; small waist, large thighs; breasts 34 large B/small C

Initial Concerns
1. lumps from lipo
2. butt looking and/or getting bigger
3. getting swelling down before going back to work (1.5 weeks)
4. heat rash/issues from compression garment - I have that problem without tight clothes
5. sagging skin - the skin on my thighs is already a little loose in my opinion
6. stretch marks

As I go through this process I will try to give the good the bad and the ugly.

Thank you all for the encouraging notes. It definitely helps reassure me.

I'm stepping up my activity and being more careful with my diet so I can be as fit as possible pre-surgery. My main motivation is a faster recovery but of course less fat in my legs means more harvest opportunities in other areas to have enough volume. The doctor pointed out a few extra places if needed. I'm hoping it's needed :)

I am drinking nothing but "detox" water that is supposed to help with bloating and inflammation. 2 quarts water, 2 lemons, 1/2 large cucumber, 10+ mint leaves, adjust to taste. It is very refreshing. My plan is to cut alcohol now but I have a few events in the next month that may tempt me to have one or two. I will at least drastically reduce it.

I may be going overboard but

I may be going overboard but I have never had surgery before so I'm taking all precautions.

Pre Op appointment

I had my pre-op appointment. 9 days until surgery and I am nervous. The consultations have been weird. Not bad, just not what I would expect when discussing surgery. It is more nonchalant than I would think. I’ve never had major surgery so I don’t really have anything to compare it to. Everyone is very nice and very open to questions.
I am concerned about the compression garment. Based on the pictures of the ones I’ve researched it is supposed to fit under the breasts. I am only 5”1’ and the one I was sized for comes well above my breasts. It is definitely the kind that is supposed to fit below. I asked if that was a problem and she said no. I can’t imagine that looking right under clothes when I go back to work. I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.
I decided to go ahead and get a wedge pillow. I plan to camp out in the living room for the first few days. The instructions say I will need to sleep elevated for a week or so and I don’t want to risk waking my husband if I can’t sleep well.
I found someone who does lymphatic massage and I will start that as soon as the doctor says it’s ok. My main focus is going to be on reducing swelling. I cannot go back to work looking like the Pillsbury dough girl.
Attached are a view before pictures. It has been extremely helpful to me to see others pictures throughout the whole process so I will try to return the favor.

Made it through surgery

The night before surgery I had a very nice full body massage. It really helped me relax and take my mind off of all of the what ifs and the worry.

I made it through surgery. It`s one day post op and I’m feeling ok. The first few hours were a bit rough. My hip flexors were on fire for some reason. I figured it was because they moved my legs around in awkward positions during surgery. I was paranoid about getting sick so I had the nurse insert the suppository before I left recovery. I highly recommend that. The first 24 hours were not so bad. I was able to walk around and eat a little. At some point in the evening I developed a sick migraine headache and neither the pain meds nor the valium helped. I got sick a couple of times. My husband went out and got some coke and the caffeine helped tremendously. If you are used to having caffeine don’t stop it afterwards. I’m pretty sure that is what caused my migraine. Ice packs on my neck helped also. My husband has been an angel. I could not have made it through without him. He has kept my meds straight and made me get up and move around. (not to mention what he has had to clean up).
It has been interesting getting used to going to the bathroom with this garment on. I’m peeing on a regular basis now but still no bowel movement. I’m taking stool softeners every day so hopefully things will kick in soon. I haven’t been hungry at all but trying to eat so I don’t get sick with all of the meds. To help with bodily functions I also have activia yogurt.
It’s day two post op and I’m feeling much better. My breasts and the backs of my legs are a little sore. The garment is not as bad as I thought it would be. I keep the house pretty cool so I have not felt over heated. I’m using ice packs some to help with swelling. I’m still not feeling hungry but definitely eating with any meds I have to take. Getting sick again is not an option. I did not enjoy that at all.
Hopefully I will get a picture up today of how I’m wrapped up to show how things are for the first three days. Tomorrow I can remove the pads and take a shower while still wearing the garment. So far I have not seen any drainage so I’m assuming the pads are doing the job.

The Go Girl

One more thing - as an avid backpacker and camper one piece of equipment has been invaluable. It's called a go girl and in allows you to pee standing up. Once you get the hang of it it's awesome.

2nd day post op

Picture of the compression garment and bandages post op.

3rd Day post Ops

It's the third day and I was able to remove the top bandages and take a shower. I had to leave the compression garment on in the shower. It doesn't dry quite as quickly as they tell you it does. I was finally able to go to the bathroom. That was extremely difficult but hopefully now I will be back to normal. My breasts are huge and tight. It feels like I am wearing a prosthetic breast plate.

Compression garment fit

I forgot to give an update on the compression garment sizing pre surgery. I did decide to question the size and I am so glad I did. They sent me to the local store that they order from and I was fitted for a petite size. The one they originally sized me for would have been extremely uncomfortable on my breasts b/c they are pretty tender. I think she said the standard ones are based on someone who is 5`7" so if you are shorter than that look into getting one that is more appropriate.

Bruising

The bruising on my legs is not as bad as I expected.

Lipo Marks

The marks are not bad at all and I have so many freckles, marks and scars I'm not worried about how they will look once they heal. I haven't counted but I think I have 6 to 8 sutures on my legs. The marks on my breasts are bigger and they could leave more noticeable scars. I'm not too worried about it.

I still need to get my measurements. I'm just not sure where I put them. Pre surgery I weighed 130. Immediately after surgery I weighed 135. Today I weigh 127. I still don't have much of an appetite and my system is not working properly.

I read this in just about every review while researching. There is a process of emotions that everyone goes through. So far I think I am on target. I'm now in the phase of I don't see the change I expected. I know I know. It's way too early to think that and my husband is helping me through that part.

One week post op

It's been one week. I am still very tender. It seems the backs of the legs are more tender. The soft toilet seat has been a life saver. My bowels are slowly getting back to normal. My breasts are still extremely tight and uncomfortable. I can't wait for those to go down.

Lack of exercise and uncomfortable sleep has made my back ache. So wish I could get a massage.

Genie Bra is Awesome!

I just received my genie bra in the mail and it feels awesome. Plus it keeps me from looking like Madonna. I was feeling a little self conscious about going out in public (and work) but this makes me feel much more comfortable.

Thank you to who ever mentioned the genie bra in their post. I'm sorry I can't remember who that was but thank you!!

12 Day post op

It has been 12 days and I'm feeling more and more like my old self. My breasts are softening. To quote my husband "oohh these are nice". I still think they are too big but I'm getting used to them. Now they itch like crazy!! That is very annoying because they are also still a bit tender.

My legs are feeling better, still sore. I have some numb spots and I have some itchy firey spots. It is still very uncomfortable to sit on anything hard, like a toilet seat. The soft cushion seat has definitely been a life saver. My system is still not quite right but it is getting better. Every night I have a mixed tea - chamomile and Smooth Move. It's actually pretty tasty.

I don't have any new pictures because not much has changed. I will take new ones at the 3 week mark. My weight is staying consistent. I'm very careful with my calorie intake and I'm walking more and more.

Just over 3 weeks

I had my first follow up visit this week. Everything seems to be progressing well. My breasts have relaxed a bit more. They are still large for me but they are a nice shape and feel. I need to post a new picture. They look like normal breasts now. They have received the highest husband approval. Although they are still too tender to play with he does rub them for me with cocoa butter.

Has anyone experience extremely itching? I want to claw the skin off of my breasts. It is incessant. I tried an anti-histamine and I think they helped. It has subsided some but it still gets me in the evening.

All of the stiches have come out. I'm putting mederma(sp) on every day as well as cocoa butter lotion all over my body. The garment seems to make my skin dry and irritated. The good news is I can stop wearing it next Wednesday. I think I will continue to wear compression tights for the support. My knees are still a bit swollen. The doctor told me to try warm compresses. I haven't tried that yet b/c it seems wrong. It seems the appropriate thing would be ice but maybe the moist heat will help move what has settled there.

My legs are still extremely tender to touch. I forget and try to bush something off my pants and realize quickly that was a bad idea.

I forgot to ask how much was put into each breast. I will get that posted soon a long with my pre and post measurements.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

New pictures 3.5 weeks

I'm adding some new pictures. My breasts are looking great. The are falling very naturally. My nipples are still a bit tender and there are random pains that flare up occasionally. I do feel a couple of knots. I have been massaging them hoping to smooth them out. I have no idea if that actual does any good.

My legs are still very tender to touch. My knees are sore like I've been running too much. I'm hoping they are just still swollen. Notice the inside of my left knee. I forgot to get a picture of the back view. The bruising continues to clear. I think the purple doctors marks have finally worn off.

My doctor said I could stop wearing the garment this Wednesday. If my legs are still this sensitive I may continue to wear it. Right now it is too painful to put on compression tights like spanx. They are hard enough to get on under normal circumstances.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Just over 5 weeks

Things are progressing well. As of Christmas I am permanently out of the garment. I do still wear compression tights or workout pants but not everyday. My legs are less tender although still sensitive to touch. I've been walking/hiking 3 to 6 miles every day for the past 2 weeks. I went to a hot yoga class today and the only thing I couldn't do is tree pose. Everything else was difficult but only because my entire body was extremely tight. I have lost a lot of flexibility over the last month.

I have my next follow up in about a week. I'm hoping to start Viora treatments soon after. The skin is a little loose on my legs and I'm hoping those treatments will help tone things up. I've also started some leg work in the gym. I'm anxious to get back my muscle tone and activity level.

Here are my measurements comparisons.

Area Before After
hip 38 37.5
top thigh 24 23
lower thigh 18 16.5

9 weeks post

I am 9 weeks post op and feeling well. My legs are much less sore although the outside of my right thigh is still numb. My breasts are maintaining. I'm down to 37in across the nipple. The lumps are unnerving and have gotten a little worse but that is normal from what they tell me. I continue to massage them. I mentioned loose skin in the legs and I just wanted to add that I don't think the skin looks much looser than before the lipo. I'm considering the Viora but I have my doubts that it will make that much of a difference.

I am still happy with my results. My current weight is 125 and I'm continuing to be active and to eat fairly healthy. I think cutting out alcohol for the last two months has probably had a little something to do with it.

I will try to get some updated pictures loaded this week.

4+ months

Sorry I have not updated in quite awhile. It has been a hectic time. All is well and I believe I have settled into my permanent size and look. I have been back to running for about a month. The return was not as hard as I expected. My thighs still have numb and tender spots but as long as I wear compression workout pants they don't bother me. The doctor says that will go away eventually.
The scars under my breasts are fading well. The ones on my legs are still noticeable but they don't bother me. I hope they will continue to fade. There are still some lumps in my breasts but they seem to be less noticeable.

Before and After comparison

I thought putting the before and after photos side by side would give everyone a really good idea of how things changed.

7 Months

Hi all. It's amazing how fast time flies. Things are going very well. For the most part I am back to normal. My breasts are holding up well. They look very natural. I still have a few lumps. I have a small one that is a little tender. I plan to ask my doctor about that one. My legs still have some slight numbness down the outside but it is not that noticeable. The inside of my thighs are still sensitive but again not that noticeable. My massage therapist has been continuing to flush those areas. The lipo scars are still visible but fading. They do get a bit red in the sun.

My activity level is back to 100%. I can run, lift weights and anything else I want without any issues. I am very happy with my results. I will try to get some updated photos uploaded soon.
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon