Breast Reduction Gone Wrong - Charlotte, NC

My breast reduction put me in the hospital with...

My breast reduction put me in the hospital with leeches, due to him being on vacation, and his nurse not having another doctor look at me till his return. Which caused me to lose feeling in my breast, no nipples, and a hanging fat under my arms, which cost me an additional 1,000+. He may be a good doctor, but it doesn't hurt to get another opinion before your surgery. A lot of good reviews, but no bad nor procedure gone wrong pictures. I am still paying for this procedure every time I look in the mirror at myself. Get a second opinion.
Any time there is an unexpected complication, no matter how rare, there is emotional trauma. I never would wish for a complication for my family or for any of my patients. When there is an unexpected event after surgery, any surgery, what is most important is to get the care you need. I remember this situation and the frustration of having to put this woman in the hospital. Losing a nipple is very uncommon, but can occur with any breast reduction procedure, particularly with women who smoke or are at higher weight. Medicinal leech treatment is used as a last resort to save the nipple. The stress and frustration of any complication extends beyond the patient to the family, the hospital nurses and the doctor. As a matter of information: Any time I am out of town, there is always another covering plastic surgeon and my staff is only a phone call away. Any person for whom I have performed surgery is always welcome to come to my office, for follow-up care. For RealSelf followers: I cannot explain why a past patient decides to post a comment 8 years after a procedure and suggest that the care she received was inferior. It gives others the impression that the doctor was cavalier and uncaring or unprofessional. Perhaps a better approach is for this patient to call me, as I would be glad to help her in any way I can, even 8 years later.
sandykats, Thank you for your comment. I am sorry this happened to you. I was following this doctor, after his comments on Fat Transfer. Amazing that there was no back up doctor available.
Please know that there is always a back-up or "covering doctor" any time I am not immediately available. This has been my practice for the last 18 years. To make sure that there is someone who can immediately respond to a patient need, when I am away or out of town, my nurse is the "first responder", but there is always a doctor available.
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon