Athletic, Fit 39yo Seeks Liposuction for Trouble Spots on Abdomen, Flanks, Butt - Charlotte, NC

I've thought about liposuction for some time but...

I've thought about liposuction for some time but hesitated because I was already fit with a good figure. That said, my abdomen, flanks and buttocks had some stubborn areas that were exercise resistant. I finally decided that I work hard enough and should have the body I want, so I took the plunge. It's been a roller-coaster ride ever since. So, this has been a complete roller coaster ride. I was so excited after the first few days, but when the swelling started to reduce

I began to see three serious dips, dimples, lumps, waviness (need I go on) right under my belly button. See photos. It is heightened depending on lighting. Bad lighting really shows them. So at two weeks (see photos) I started to really freak out. I thought my surgery was BOTCHED. I found Real Self and started posting. I was literally having a meltdown because I didn't have a bad figure to begin with and here I went and ruined it. Thank god for the Drs who take the time to post on Real Self. I got some good feedback, went and saw my doctor (I will share name and 3 mos post) and he reassured me that I was still swollen and to keep massaging and wear compression for 6 weeks. Way longer than expected. So I've been diligent about massage 3x daily, good diet, lots of water, limited alcohol and my compression. Finally at 4-5 weeks, the dimple on the left side is all but gone and the one on the right is getting smaller, though I have a very hard lump there. I wish I had posted all along to truly chronicle my thoughts, but I couldn't handle it emotionally. I have so much more to share. I will gather my thoughts and post more. Now, you can see the dimples only in overhead lighting. The results are really looking incredible. I've swung back from OMG what did I do to myself to feeling glad I did it. What a roller-coaster ride. Phew. I'm exhausted. BUT, I have so much to share that I've learned. I'm a researcher, so I have absorbed so much great info and a result of my panic. I will share it all. For now, that's all. :)

More Problems Emerge

Unfortunately, as the swelling has gone down on my side/back thighs it's obvious that too much fat was taken. I have a pretty significant hollow and indent on my back left thigh, with a noticeable but not as severe one on the right. It looks totally unnatural. I am definitely feeling that it was not worth it. Only a small amount was to be taken to improve the sub-gluteal crease, so I have no clue why this ended up this extreme. So depressed. Going back to Dr on Tues.
Dr. John Doe

I'd like to wait to post this to give my overall experience, but if I don't blog now I'll forget things.

Hey girl. I'm in NC too. :) Your abs look freakin' amazing! I know what you mean about trying to be a perfectionist with our bodies. I have scheduled some lipo for next month and it was a hard decision to make, knowing there are people who would love to have my figure and here I am wanting to change it like this. You look great, though. Try not to have any regrets - you really look fantastic. It's clear you are super fit. And I would have probably just thought you had some crazy muscle, not a dent, if you didn't mention it. :)
I am 5 weeks out and my legs are doing the same thing! I see my doctor on Thursday. Are yours getting better?
Hi jillbean. Unfortunately, mine are getting worse as swelling goes down. Check out my post about it when you look at my profile. I posted the same pictures of my legs and the majority of doctors are saying im likely to need revision. I'm also got a lot of feedback that you have to be extremely careful in this area especially if you don't have a lot to take off in the first place. For now I'm steeling myself for having to have some sort of revision in the future. That said, I meet with my doctor today and I'll give you an update.
Thank you! Can't wait to hear how it goes! I didn't have much to take away either. I hope you get good news. Mine keeps getting worse as swelling goes down too
Okay, so I literally just walked out of the doctors office. He spent about 45 minutes with me looking at my legs at all possible angles. Because when I'm standing you really can't tell that anything is wrong. But when I lay down to my legs to my side like the picture show you can tell that there are some hollowed out spots. One thing that he explained was how difficult it is to determine just how much too fat to take when you're on the operating table and laying prone or that's probably not the right word when you're laying on your stomach wouldn't which would explain why when I'm standing up or laying down none of this really seems like an issue. The tough spots happen again when I'm moving my legs around in motion like you would when you were running or with your legs to the side doing sit ups etc. despite my distress about the way that my legs look right now and the fact that they seem to be getting worse as swelling goes down, I do feel like my doctor is a good listener and takes the time to try to truly assess the situation. He literally said today to me "I am 88.5% sure that we will need to do some sort of revision"he wants me to come back Inn in five weeks which will be exactly 3 months post op. He hopes that the swelling will have reduced more at that time so that we have a more accurate picture of what's going on. I do agree that there's nothing really we should do right now in case we make the situation worse due to the swelling that still there. In the back my mind I'm simply screaming no no no I want to fixed now! But I know that waiting Alton will ultimately result in the best outcome. He said we probably take a minor amount of fat from around my knees and do this under local anesthesia. He would then fill in the hollows to the best of his ability using that app. We would then give it time to heal, and see if he needed to go back in one more time to make adjustments.
Sorry for all of the typos. I'm using Siri to dictate all of this so I don't have to type so much on my cell phone. But I keep forgetting to go back and review it and make edits before I press the post button. I'm scatterbrained! I do hope that you can find the patience to wait it out and also feel comfortable expressing your concerns with your surgeon. I will make sure to update the site in the next five weeks to include our next ups, new pictures, and then free and post revision pictures. If you have any other questions please let me know. I think the one great thing about this site is that we can all lean on each other and find some solace in our shared experiences.
Amen to that. Websites and doctors can promise the world but this group here, tells it like it is. Keep up the good work guys.
Thank you for this. Athletic as well; lost 110lbs about ten years ago. I'm at twelve-days post op from an abdominoplasty (and lipsuction of flanks) and am freaking out about the shapes and lumps. Your post, as well as a ton of others, are helping me to be patient.
Definitely continue to be patient. The amount of difference I saw from the dimples at two weeks to the dimples now at seven weeks is huge. I still wish I couldn't see anything at all!
I am like you, athletic with some trouble areas. So are you saying it was worth it or should I save the money and keep working out?
Asiancoco - if I had to do all over again I would've just trying to celebrate the body I already had and continue to work out and try to change things with diet. I already ate a very healthy diet and I continued to be frustrated with what I saw as a lack of perfection. This journey has help me realize that I was not honoring and celebrating the wonderful Bonnie I had to begin with. It's a tough way to learn that lesson. Even if everything works out in the long run and I don't have to have any revision, at this point I would say that none of it was worth the emotional roller coaster ride that I've been through in the last seven weeks. Again, I'm saying that now and maybe my opinion will change in the future but I've had a lot of sleepless nights and a lot of tears over this.
And sorry I should have proofed this before I posted. It looks like I was texting and driving!
And yes I would still go back today and just try to keep working out and if that didn't work I would just live with the trouble spots rather than go through all this.
Thanks for replying NC athlete. Your body before was pretty damn amazing. I sometimes think that writing a check to the right surgeon will solve and fix my saddlebags but would hate to go through the pain if it isn't a guarantee. I do hope that the results keep improving for you. For now, I'll spend the few thousand on a trainer and tennis to keep me active.
Best of luck to you. It's just a gamble. As long as you know that the results are not guaranteed even with a very skilled surgeon, you can make a decision about whether a potentially less than desirable result is something you can live with. As I mentioned, it's been an up-and-down journey for me and yet when I look at myself in the mere even with these little imperfections that the surgery has cause I still can't say that I look terrible. It's just a little deflating when you realize that this perfect dream you had is not going to be your reality. The Silver lining is the fact that I'm learning more and more every day that I'm beautiful just the way I am and that I need to be grateful for what I have when I have it because life, health, and happiness can be fleeting. All of this sounds so incredibly cliché but that old adage is true – you don't really know what you have until you lose it. Whether you choose surgery or not just try to focus on the things that are wonderful about your body and I'm sure you'll find plenty to be grateful for.
You have a great figure! I had a tummy tuck and breast implants last October. My tummy did not turn out as flat as I had expected. So I had tummy and back lipo on Friday. I'm worried about the lumps and dimples but will do everything my plastic surgeon says to do. But it's helpful to see you and your results and read about your experience. You look amazing.
The lumps and dimples on my stomach are definitely starting to diminish. I can still see a lot of them on the left side and I'm hoping that time will resolve this. The main issue for me right now is how much fat was taken from my legs and the caverns and hollows that were created. I do feel 99% sure that I will need to have revision there.
My lumps and bumps started at about the same time frame as yours. I had exactly the same emotional roller coaster as u also. Thank God that is behind me. I followed the Dr direction and at seven months they r all but gone. You do look great.
So great to hear your issues have resolved. It was shocking to be initially excited, then see the irregularities develop. Now they are slowly healing. Time will tell and my Dr says to give it 3-6 mos. When I saw him at 5 weeks a few days ago he kind of gave me that 'I told you so' look! I went in at 2 weeks and was really upset about the dimples. He just said to take a deep breath and give it time. I'm still anxious but hopeful it will all resolve.
My Dr had said about 50% of improvement at six months and it may take a year to see final results. I did the massaging with hand held electric massager for 10-15 minutes three times a day and that helped immensely. I am sure ur Dr is correct but I found out that we all do not see the results as quickly as WE would like. Continued good luck and I look forward to seeing ur updates.
What kind of massager did you use? Was it a "thumper" like those used at a chiro office or something more gentle? Did u press into the areas a little bit deeper that had the dimples? That's great to hear that it helped !
I bought one from Amazon that has nine interchangeable head I used only two. One looked like have of a large marble and the other looked the the bottom of an upside down canoe. I massaged the whole area but pressed harder and spent more time on lumps. Good luck.