50 Yrs Old & Thankful for Fat Transfer Procedure Following 14 Year Implant Removal :) Charlotte, NC

To start, I have so much to be thankful for and...

To start, I have so much to be thankful for and hope that my story might provide some encouragement to someone else. Thirty years ago while 20 and small busted, I had silicone implants put in to create a modest bust line. Prior to implants, I had wondered why my small breasts wouldn't grow and felt self- conscious, while others in the family had larger breasts. Later, I I found out that some of the woman in the family had implants themselves. Not sure if this awareness, would have changed my decision or not back then but believe natural is the best way, given hindsight.
Between age 30 and 40, my health took a dive. For sometime, I ignored symptoms and avoided thinking about it. While walking, my girlfriend validated what my body had been telling me, " something's not right!" In search of an explanation with on going symptoms worsening, an appointment was made re: silicone implants.
Age 40- An ultra sound appointment in Cleveland and consultation for possible removal confirmed a possible rupture. With symptoms worsening, personal research, doctor's suggestion, soul searching and praying for answers, I opted to have the removal one year later.
Age 41 -implants were removed and further confirmed that both implants were ruptured. I am Thankful to God that my friend confirmed what my body was telling me and that He put me in the care of a plastic surgeon that was doing this type of procedure with expertise and care.
The recovery from the removal was more painful than the procedure itself. The drains hurt, but more so was the visual deformity of my breasts due to where my implants were removed, this being no fault of the surgeon.
For many years following, I rested in being thankful that the ruptured implants were out, but struggled inwardly with my femininity and how clothing fit and how my breasts looked when I was naked. I went back and forth with the idea of reconstruction.
Thankful to God that my husband confirmed over and over that he loves me for me, and not my breast. When I thought of possibly doing implants , both my husband , best friend , and family said, "No Way! This was Confirmation for me that implants were not an option. Needless to say, I still struggled with the same feelings and desired that my breasts look more feminine.
In 2009, I began reading about fat transfer being used for breast surgery. For several years , trips were made to Cleveland for possible surgery. Being a new surgery and an elective surgery, costs were too high. I still went back and forth with the idea.
Summer of 2012 , a surgical date was set, but life circumstances quickly changed direction, as my youngest son was being deployment. In addition, I was working on graduate course work, while changing positions at my current job. Prior to surgery, I awakened during the middle of the night to feelings that this was not the right time -and to "What on earth was I thinking? " Needless to say, I lost my deposit, but inwardly, this was not the right time. I have learned to better listen to my body and look for signs of peace in decisions.
Following a long year with my son over seas , emotional support and encouragement from family and friends, and finishing up course work and changes in job, God brought us through it and our son safely home! PTL:) Again, I started looking at elective surgery .
As an answer to a heart's desire to have my breasts reconstructed, I found Information about the Brava and Dr. Bednar this summer. Coincidently, the timing of both , along with online research lead to my appointment and surgery . Which I don't think was coincidental:) A decision came after much sought out journaling, prayer, research, and a phone call with an opening from a cancellation. Perfect for me, because I tend to over think . Things began to fall in place. Including that I able to keep myself busy prior to surgery- Canning, cleaning, and making final travel arrangements.
Today, I am one week post op and very thankful to God for opening the door for the surgery , the kindness and support afforded me leading up to the procedure, for the expert skill and genuine concern of my surgeon and his wonderful team, and the loving support of my girlfriends and husband:)
One week ago today, my girlfriend and I traveled from Ohio to Charlotte with the support of Dr. Bednars office . Sylvia went out of her way to help make our trip easier by providing numbers to local motels and by getting back with me when questions arose. In addition, prior to my appointment, Dr. Bednar spoke with me on the phone in length about the procedure and answered my MANY questions and concerns.
We were blessed to stay at the Hampton Inn with a patient discount that was only three miles from Dr. Bednar's office . Among the amenities of the hotel- we had our own microwave , refrigerator, a very clean & comfortable room, including the bed:) In addition, The Hampton serves a daily generous breakfast that allows for lots of choices , including healthy choices!
There is a variety of all kinds of dining and shopping available for your convienance.
However, to our surprise and blessing there was a Whole Foods beside the Hampton Inn and we found we could enjoy meals from Whole Foods that were both healthy, delicious, and reasonable without having to drive anywhere.
I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Bednar and his staff or my experience there, but I will try. They genuinely care about their patients ! From initial inquiry to post -op they have been phenomenally genuine and caring. I was impressed with the help in navigating the logistics of unfamiliar territory , as I am not from the area. In addition, follow -up care included a visit from Dr. Bednar and his staff to my hotel room and a final office visit a day early due to accelerated recovery.
In closing, Dr. Bednar transferred some fat to my face and I am very pleased with the outcome! All this to say say , Without reservations, I highly recommend Dr. Bednar and his staff. Last, I thank God for making this possible and for the love, support and encouragement from so many along the way:)
having read your story and the several mentions of prayers and thanking god; i would have figured with your spirituality that you would be aware that god doesn't appreciate vanity. First with the implants and then the fat transfers. I don't think it's right to be praying for change to body parts from god who made you that way for a reason. I'm not trying to minimize your story and I am happy for your successful procedure which is great however, some things weren't sitting well with me so I had to respond, sorry. I'm just saying..
Welcome to RS! Congrats on your decision to enhance your temple and you are an awesome inspiration to me especially! Keep posting ok I'm one of ur followers but we all just ask that when we post do respond back bcz so many don't!!! Best wishes! Chk out my three blogs in your spare time!

Two weeks and one day!

I returned to work this week and am moving about well. It was nice to be back at work with friends ! I still have soreness but , believe that's normal . Only using pain meds at night which help with the sleeping. Overall, bruising is improving and my breasts appear to be maintaining their shape and size. ( I am still hopeful I won't lose any to much fat, as I know this may happen) I am very happy with how everything is healing and and that this type of procedure is available for women in similar situations . Again, I can't say enough good things about the care and professionalism I received from Dr.Bednar and his staff. They really care and work together great as a team. I am fortunate to have found Dr. Bednar and his staff for my surgery, as they made the process very smooth and provided support along the way.
Pics?????
Girlfriend, Don't be bothered by the comments of sim420. He didn't even capitalize God. Let peace be your guide. If you felt peace, then it was of the Lord. "The peace that passes all understanding". You can really discern the people who have a religious spirit... it is not of the Lord. It is another spirit.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

My experience has been better than I could have hoped for! Dr. Bednar cares for his patients and takes the time to listen to their needs and responds accordingly. He is professional, gifted in his field, and has a very warm and professional staff.