50 Yrs Old & Thankful for Fat Transfer Procedure Following 14 Year Implant Removal :) Charlotte, NC

To start, I have so much to be thankful for and...

To start, I have so much to be thankful for and hope that my story might provide some encouragement to someone else. Thirty years ago while 20 and small busted, I had silicone implants put in to create a modest bust line. Prior to implants, I had wondered why my small breasts wouldn't grow and felt self- conscious, while others in the family had larger breasts. Later, I I found out that some of the woman in the family had implants themselves. Not sure if this awareness, would have changed my decision or not back then but believe natural is the best way, given hindsight.
Between age 30 and 40, my health took a dive. For sometime, I ignored symptoms and avoided thinking about it. While walking, my girlfriend validated what my body had been telling me, " something's not right!" In search of an explanation with on going symptoms worsening, an appointment was made re: silicone implants.
Age 40- An ultra sound appointment in Cleveland and consultation for possible removal confirmed a possible rupture. With symptoms worsening, personal research, doctor's suggestion, soul searching and praying for answers, I opted to have the removal one year later.
Age 41 -implants were removed and further confirmed that both implants were ruptured. I am Thankful to God that my friend confirmed what my body was telling me and that He put me in the care of a plastic surgeon that was doing this type of procedure with expertise and care.
The recovery from the removal was more painful than the procedure itself. The drains hurt, but more so was the visual deformity of my breasts due to where my implants were removed, this being no fault of the surgeon.
For many years following, I rested in being thankful that the ruptured implants were out, but struggled inwardly with my femininity and how clothing fit and how my breasts looked when I was naked. I went back and forth with the idea of reconstruction.
Thankful to God that my husband confirmed over and over that he loves me for me, and not my breast. When I thought of possibly doing implants , both my husband , best friend , and family said, "No Way! This was Confirmation for me that implants were not an option. Needless to say, I still struggled with the same feelings and desired that my breasts look more feminine.
In 2009, I began reading about fat transfer being used for breast surgery. For several years , trips were made to Cleveland for possible surgery. Being a new surgery and an elective surgery, costs were too high. I still went back and forth with the idea.
Summer of 2012 , a surgical date was set, but life circumstances quickly changed direction, as my youngest son was being deployment. In addition, I was working on graduate course work, while changing positions at my current job. Prior to surgery, I awakened during the middle of the night to feelings that this was not the right time -and to "What on earth was I thinking? " Needless to say, I lost my deposit, but inwardly, this was not the right time. I have learned to better listen to my body and look for signs of peace in decisions.
Following a long year with my son over seas , emotional support and encouragement from family and friends, and finishing up course work and changes in job, God brought us through it and our son safely home! PTL:) Again, I started looking at elective surgery .
As an answer to a heart's desire to have my breasts reconstructed, I found Information about the Brava and Dr. Bednar this summer. Coincidently, the timing of both , along with online research lead to my appointment and surgery . Which I don't think was coincidental:) A decision came after much sought out journaling, prayer, research, and a phone call with an opening from a cancellation. Perfect for me, because I tend to over think . Things began to fall in place. Including that I able to keep myself busy prior to surgery- Canning, cleaning, and making final travel arrangements.
Today, I am one week post op and very thankful to God for opening the door for the surgery , the kindness and support afforded me leading up to the procedure, for the expert skill and genuine concern of my surgeon and his wonderful team, and the loving support of my girlfriends and husband:)
One week ago today, my girlfriend and I traveled from Ohio to Charlotte with the support of Dr. Bednars office . Sylvia went out of her way to help make our trip easier by providing numbers to local motels and by getting back with me when questions arose. In addition, prior to my appointment, Dr. Bednar spoke with me on the phone in length about the procedure and answered my MANY questions and concerns.
We were blessed to stay at the Hampton Inn with a patient discount that was only three miles from Dr. Bednar's office . Among the amenities of the hotel- we had our own microwave , refrigerator, a very clean & comfortable room, including the bed:) In addition, The Hampton serves a daily generous breakfast that allows for lots of choices , including healthy choices!
There is a variety of all kinds of dining and shopping available for your convienance.
However, to our surprise and blessing there was a Whole Foods beside the Hampton Inn and we found we could enjoy meals from Whole Foods that were both healthy, delicious, and reasonable without having to drive anywhere.
I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Bednar and his staff or my experience there, but I will try. They genuinely care about their patients ! From initial inquiry to post -op they have been phenomenally genuine and caring. I was impressed with the help in navigating the logistics of unfamiliar territory , as I am not from the area. In addition, follow -up care included a visit from Dr. Bednar and his staff to my hotel room and a final office visit a day early due to accelerated recovery.
In closing, Dr. Bednar transferred some fat to my face and I am very pleased with the outcome! All this to say say , Without reservations, I highly recommend Dr. Bednar and his staff. Last, I thank God for making this possible and for the love, support and encouragement from so many along the way:)

Two weeks and one day!

I returned to work this week and am moving about well. It was nice to be back at work with friends ! I still have soreness but , believe that's normal . Only using pain meds at night which help with the sleeping. Overall, bruising is improving and my breasts appear to be maintaining their shape and size. ( I am still hopeful I won't lose any to much fat, as I know this may happen) I am very happy with how everything is healing and and that this type of procedure is available for women in similar situations . Again, I can't say enough good things about the care and professionalism I received from Dr.Bednar and his staff. They really care and work together great as a team. I am fortunate to have found Dr. Bednar and his staff for my surgery, as they made the process very smooth and provided support along the way.
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

My experience has been better than I could have hoped for! Dr. Bednar cares for his patients and takes the time to listen to their needs and responds accordingly. He is professional, gifted in his field, and has a very warm and professional staff.

Pics?????
Girlfriend, Don't be bothered by the comments of sim420. He didn't even capitalize God. Let peace be your guide. If you felt peace, then it was of the Lord. "The peace that passes all understanding". You can really discern the people who have a religious spirit... it is not of the Lord. It is another spirit.
having read your story and the several mentions of prayers and thanking god; i would have figured with your spirituality that you would be aware that god doesn't appreciate vanity. First with the implants and then the fat transfers. I don't think it's right to be praying for change to body parts from god who made you that way for a reason. I'm not trying to minimize your story and I am happy for your successful procedure which is great however, some things weren't sitting well with me so I had to respond, sorry. I'm just saying..
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

First of all, u completely misinterpreted and twisted what I said to justify your own intentions. Why? I don't even know, nor do I care. My comment was not meant to "diss" Cathyfro ohio's story what-so-ever, and I think that she knows that. I was just speaking as one religious person to another. She's obviously religious in a sense, with the mentions of prayers and god, and so am I. There's no harm in that. If you don't like it, well that's your prerogative. So, I think she understands that I am coming from a good place. Something u obviously wouldn't understand, nor would I expect u to. Furthermore, if you dont like certain comments, move on to the next! Nor do I need to justify myself to you, so you don't need to fight a battle for her that's not warranted and which doesn't even exist in the first place. So I hope you enjoyed your laughter :)
"If you don't like certain comments, move on to the next." Did you do that after you read her post? No. In your own EXACT words, you wrote to her; "I would have figured that with your spirituality you would be aware that god does not appreciate vanity... I don't think it's right to be praying for change to body parts from god who made you that way for a reason." If that is your belief, then ask yourself WHY in the world are you wasting your time on a web site that is all about cosmetic surgery to alter, improve, change and/or enhance one's physical appearance? That makes no sense. You must be very young, and/or not had much in the way of experience with REAL physical disabilities, deformities, or serious health challenges. Blessings to you, and I hope that you continue to stay healthy. As you get older though, you'll find that life turns out to be different than you thought it would be. The woman you felt the need to make your remarks to - Notice that her subject line reads: "50 Years Old & Thankful". Well I too, am 50 years old and thankful, and I'm happy she had a good, healthy outcome both physically & spiritually. And I'll bet that she probably prayed many a prayer of THANKFULNESS before her procedure(s) and I bet she'll continue to say many prayers of thankfulness for her health for years to come. God bless her ~ I'll bet all those prayers didn't hurt one bit! Blessings, prayers, and best wishes TO ALL!!! xo
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Whenever you comment on RealSelf, please do so with our Community Guidelines in mind. RealSelf is a place for people to support each other, not to post negative comments and fight with each other, especially on someone else's review.

If you have a problem with a comment, or another member, please alert one of our Community Managers and it will be dealt with. It's never appropriate to get into a back and forth argument.

I would suggest that both of you stop responding to each other and that we stop taking over "cathyfromohio's" review with this conversation. If you have any questions, please click on my name and send me a PM.

Thanks,
Kirsty
Every one of us who considers and makes use of plastic surgery is doing so with some degree of vanity. Wanting to look our best doesn't make us bad people. Also, I don't think it's easy for men to understand the pressure society places on women to be beautiful. It's relentless and only increases as we get older. Those of us who choose to utilize plastic surgery feel we aren't quite right in some way. It's sad but true. The anxiety we feel is common. Hopefully we can support one another as we make our way down the road to looking our best, knowing it can be a scary and uncertain process. Support is so important. I know it has been for me.
Hello, I hope you have a great experience on this site... I am new here, but also hoping for friendly, informative, non-judgmental support. Thanks for making me feel welcome :) Blessings, RC123
Welcome to RS! Congrats on your decision to enhance your temple and you are an awesome inspiration to me especially! Keep posting ok I'm one of ur followers but we all just ask that when we post do respond back bcz so many don't!!! Best wishes! Chk out my three blogs in your spare time!
Cathy, I'm happy to hear of your positive experience, as I had my surgery with Dr. Bednar the day before yours and I feel the same. My breasts look full and natural, the fat to my face is starting to settle in, and I couldn't be happier. I don't want too much fat to disappear, but I'm mentally preparing myself for this inevitability.
Kissmex, Thank you for your kind words! I am happy you are healing and have had a positive experience, too. So far, my breasts have maintained their fullness and shape, but are still pretty bruised which is to be expected. I am confident that our transfers will do well:) I am still sleeping in a sitting position and trying not to over do it. I will be returning to work next week. How about you?