Gastric Sleeve Surgery Set for April - Chambersburg, PA

I'll be having gastric sleeve surgery in April, on...

I'll be having gastric sleeve surgery in April, on the 23rd. My original surgery date was the 19th of March, but I had to postpone it since I had a trip to Indiana scheduled three weeks after that for work. I was concerned that the dates were too close together in case of complication and moved the surgery back a month.

I'm nervous, but I'm spending this entire month carefully focusing on my health, tracking vitamin and supplement intake, and following a carefully designed high protein and low carbohydrate, low calorie diet. I think this will make it far easier for me to get through the week of liquid dieting prior to the surgery

I have insurance coverage, so I have finished six months of nutrition counseling, lots of other tests, and a psych evaluation. I'm feeling ready, but scared!

I'm really looking for a community of support!

Update 26 April, 2013

I had my surgery on Tuesday, and events didn't go as well as I'd hoped. Before surgery you really try to fill your mind with all the success stories and how relatively simple the procedure is...when you're a light weight and in generally good health you don't think you're going to be the complicated one. My surgery was delayed for many hours while I had to wait in the preop area. I had the choice of just rescheduling, and if I could have seen the future I probably would have. Came out of surgery with crazy pain and in post op for 4-5 hours while they tried to get my blood pressure under control. After this just terrible pain in the stomach, and I generally have a high pain threshold. Barium swallow the next day showed the stomach swollen shut and nothing can get through. I've now been in the hospital for 4 days and who knows how much longer while we wait for my stomach to un swell enough to be able to get enough liquids in on my own to stay hydrated. Drinking is excruciating painful and I'm only up to 10 ounces a day so far so I have a way to go. Trying to keep a positive outlook but it is hard.

Hi SIlvertaurus,

I'm really sorry to hear about your complications. How are you doing now? I hope you're recovering well and they were able to sort it out for you.

Please do give us an update, whenever you're able to!

I was sent home for a couple days but ended. Up back in the hospital for another 5 days. My stomach opened enough for a trickle to get through. I had a PICC line installed and am TPN now (nutrients via IV). Each day I try to get in more liquids, and the more liquids I get in, the smaller my TPN bag gets. This could go on for months. The hope is that I will eventually have a functioning stomach just from natural stretching and healing. If this doesn't irk out eventually, the doctor said I might need a second surgery for a total gastrectomy, where there is no stomach left. Alternately, it could be for something that looks like a gastric bypass, but with a pouch that is only a tiny portion of the normal pouch size for a gastric bypass. I'm just really tired right now. I'm trying to be optimistic, as I've gradually been able to get in more liquids. Thank the Lord I have good insurance. The in home nursing care and TPN supplies would cost a thousand dollars a DAY. I think about people who are self-pay for this procedure and wonder what would happen to them if they found themselves in this situation. I also didn't think very hard about the drawbacks of having most of my stomach removed. There isn't any stomach left to use if a complication arises. If I had gone with the RNY, I could at least have a feeding tube into my blind stomach, which would be far safer than the PICC line... BUT, I am able to take in a bit more each day, though I seem to have hit a limit at this point. I will remain optimistic that I can eventually get this to work, regardless of how hard it is, as the last thing I want is to go under the knife again...ever. I am also on antibiotics for a UTI that I probably got for dehydration. Good luck to everyone else! There are so few people who get complications like this, but they do happen and are very real for that small group. My BMI ws under 40 and I was in decent health other than my PTC. I'm hoping that a year from now I'll be normal, and I'll just have a high level of restriction, but be fully functional. :)

Oh now, I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all of this! I've never heard of this happening before. It definitely makes me think really hard about my procedure. I know, like you said, this only happens to a very small percentage of people, but we do have to make sure we understand all of the risks, so thank you for sharing your journey with us!

I really hope you start to feel better and that you can keep taking in liquids! Please do keep us updated with your progress and let us know how you're getting on. I'll be thinking of you!

Dr. Richard Gorman

This provider is located in my home town, which made for ease of attendance for the six months of pre-op work.