5 Star Facelift with Dr. Koelliker in San Miguel Allende - Celaya, Mexico

I had a facelift in Mexico with Dr. Koelliker....

I had a facelift in Mexico with Dr. Koelliker. Typically this can include any or all of the following: a temporal forehead lift, upper/lower lids, mid face and neckift. Dr. K. addresses each of his clients individually to determine with them what is needed. In my case Dr. K. also addressed the platysmas muscles under my chin...which is great because the youthful appearance of the neck will last much longer by doing this.
Dr. K. uses the SMAS procedure , which minutely lifts the underlying muscles. He is a real artist. I saw the results of three other women who Dr. K. worked on while I was at Casa Marino and they were all stunning. If the SMAS technique is not used, the skin is just stretched and the procedure does not last.
I did a fair amount of research online before deciding to go with Dr. Koelliker. I couldn't find one negative thing to be said about it. My experience confirmed my intuitive felt-sense about it. I was picked up at the airport and taken straight to the hospital where I met with the doctor that same afternoon. I was immediately reassured by his kind and gentle professionalism.
The package included 3 nights in a private hospital room, and 6 more nights at the recovery center Spa Club Casa Marino. This was such a delightful healing place, with very kind staff and a lovely, spacious, airy decor. Pat Marino was very welcoming, and the home-cooked meals were wonderful. I felt very cared for, and had several visits from Dr. K. in the 6 days while I was there. Who makes house calls anymore? He took out the stitches himself, and made a special trip when I was concerned about some swelling.
I stayed in the garden suite for an extra cost, but it was worth it. It had a lovely little private garden with a fountain; the beds were very comfortable, and it had a a big screen Tv with tons of DVDs. I highly recommend that you check this out. Dr. K is a genius and San Miguel is a gem to explore! Be sure to bring suncscreen, dark glasses and scarves to cover your neck. A New You is waiting!

Thanks so much for sharing your opinion about your doctor.

I would love to add your experience to the facelift community, but it would be helpful if you could provide some more detail about your experience with your procedure/treatment. I suggest adding pros and cons and/or before and after photos - optional of course, so that other community members can use your review as a guide through their journey.

Looking forward to your response so I can add your review to the facelift community.
Hi Lori, am choosing not to add photos for reasons of privacy, however I think my review speaks mostly of the 'pros' because I am very happy with Dr. Koelliker's work, professionalism and bedside manner. He is, as I have said, a very kind, gentle, attentive doctor and having seen the results of three other women who were there at the same time as I was, I do believe he is very gifted. In terms of the 'cons', it can feel a little scary going to a foreign country for surgery where you don't know anyone. My husband offered to come with me, but then I realized it would be better if he came after I had a chance to heal and recover, and we could spend some together exploring beautiful San Miguel Allende - which is what we did. I am one of those people who doesn't heal quickly from bruising, but several of the other women who were there looked better after two days than I did after two weeks! So I guess getting over my fear and anxiety was the hardest part - but when I weighed that against the cost of doing it in Canada or the United States with no recovery options other than going home and managing on my own - it felt like the right choice for me. I guess I am a pretty intuitive person, and it felt right for me. Hope this helps!
It is now two months since I had the surgery with Dr. Koelliker in San Miguel and I am so pleased with the results! There is a tiny shadow of bruising left on my cheekbones, but I have effectively been disguising this by wearing my glasses instead of contact lenses. No one has figured out that I have had a face lift but my daughter thought I looked 'different' but couldn't quite figure it out! I said maybe it was the glasses and that I had lost some weight! I have noticed some negative comments about Dr. K's work but I have been thrilled. I do think it is important to not expect a facelift to perform miracles if you haven't been taking care of your body. Personally I have always been very interested in health - a good diet (paleo), yoga, meditation, a positive attitude, exercise. I have also been using bio-identical hormones (see Suzanne Sommers) for over 10 years. I think all of these factors contributed to a successful result for me.

Be realistic

I have noticed some reviews from people who were disappointed with their facelifts. I think it is important to not expect miracles from a facelift. There are many things you can do to optimize your health and ease the ageing process, that will make you the best possible candidate for cosmetic surgery. Taking care of your health and your skin through a healthy diet (paleo) that minimizes or eliminates sugar and simple carbohydrates, using bio-identical hormones (see Suzanne Sommers' books) drinking lots of water, especially lemon water, getting enough exercise, doing yoga or Pilates, meditating, and getting enough sleep - not to mention maintaining a positive attitude and sense of humour If you have been abusing your body through the use of addictive substances or simply through neglect, you should not expect surgery to deliver a miracle. The best case scenario is using the surgery as the icing on the cake - because it is very hard to prevent facial muscles from sagging, even if you have been the healthiest person in the world. Good luck to all - and learn to be your own best friend!
You look absolutely lovely and glowing with happiness - - congratulations on your new lease on life!
Thanks and yes it feels like a new lease on life its a very nice boost that is for sure.
Thank you for your update, though just because someone does not have a good outcome does not mean they are abusing substances or are not taking care of themselves otherwise. I am glad things turned out well for you, though.
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Koelliker is very professional, kind, gentle and considerate. I saw him four times when he came to make house calls after the operation.