3 weeks post TT - back pain? walking?

I am a slim athletic mom to a preschooler and...

I am a slim athletic mom to a preschooler and elementary age child. I had a tummy tuck on March 7, 2012 to repair my diastasis rectii and umbilical hernia. Physical activity is a part of my daily life and I couldn't stand the belly bulge and protruding navel on my otherwise fit frame. Also didn't like how my core and strength activities were limited. Looking at these Day 12 post photos, I feel like the work looks messy and I think I will lose my mind with no running for 6-12 weeks.

Looking for others approaching the 3 week post...

Looking for others approaching the 3 week post surgery mark.
After full tummy tuck and extensive muscle repair I am still not moving much.
How about others?
I still cannot stand up straight and because of the back pain and tummy muscle pain, I cant get out walking.
I usually go for a run/cycle each day. Really thought I would be walking by now to get some fresh air and exercise.
Tummy skin still hurts to the touch too, like a burn.
What are others at 3 weeks feeling and about those who are well past the 3 week mark?

I am exactly 3 weeks po tt, mr, lipo and ba. Today I have been able to stand up completely straight, but still find myself starting to slouch back down (out of habit or fear?) I don't know, but I am still having to remind myself to stand straight...looking forward to when I am back to normal. I run as well, but the last week, I have increased my walking speed from 45 min of 1.5 to 30 at 2.5 today. Felt really good, but swollen by the time I made it home. Good luck!
well my doc call me today say my hemoglobin low they need more labs today so not sure now on my date iam calling them back tommoro
Hi st joseph, I am using bio oil, and micropore tape along my scar. My tummy changes daily! Initially my tum was very tight and swollen. It's now settling and the swelling is reducing which has shown up some stretch marks, surgeon said I'd have some as originally had them above belly button but I thought I'd got away with it! Bit gutted there still there :(
And 7 weeks of no exercise is taking it's toll!, no weight gain but feel like everything is expanding, roll on 12 weeks and I can hit the pavement again! :)
HI there....I too have had a TT 3 weeks ago today....You look fine, it is very hard to stay still when you are an active person....you look great, time is the key to this whole process....I too struggle with wonder and answers to all this.....I am happy to have found this website as it has given me a lot of answers to questions I have had and is a wonderful support system! My healing has been quite the same as yours and I am thankful I am active because the doctor assured me that because of that my recovery is much quicker and has allowed me to walk and do eliptical on my 2nd week and light jogging with light weight lifting as well.....now to get the food out of sight so I can look better as my ass and legs have exploded from sitting too much.....I too am going to hire a physio trainer to help me recover and not over do it as I am also a personal trainer and am very used to pushing myself quite hard and don't wanna "tear" anything on the inside and screw it up! Things get easier, but always take time for yourself in a day and make sure to rest when you feel it!
Hi mnjolson, I am jealous that you could walk and do elliptical on your 2nd week and then light jogging with weights. The literature from my surgeon says 'Avoid exercise, heavy lifting and any activity that raises your blood pressure or pulse for at least 1 month after surgery. The blood vessels are still healing and an increase in activity can cause bleeding."
Did you have extensive muscle repair? I am almost 3 weeks post and still can't stand up straight. Because of that and associated back pain, I can only walk a wee bit. Doctor said walking at 2 weeks. I was anticipating hour long strolls instead of my usual hour+ hard runs....nope still not possible at 3 weeks. And yeah, all this sitting and trying to figure out the right amount to eat for inactivity is crazy.
TriathleteMom, Another thing, my surgeon did extensive mr (I had twins to term and very small frame) and she actually had to sit me up to finish stitching me. She said I might feel tighter and more slouched longer b/c she really tightened everything. Maybe that's why it's taking a little longer for you? BTW you look great and just remember, that scar will probably be non existent by the end of the year:)
thanks thats give me a ideal i have three c seaction i heard tt pain is worst iam doin what did u use on scar bio oil or cream i see they have sheeting
Hi, I could shower after a week? But no baths till 8 weeks or swimming. I have to say i've had 2 c sections and this is a worse op, not for that faint hearted! But once your past a week things start to improve and by two weeks you'll feel pretty good. I was in hospital 3 nights and had morphine pump for first 24 hours, then oral meds, I just took whatever was offered and after a week I didn't need any more pain relief?. I was super careful with not lifting and had round the clock help with the kids, (3 1/2 yrs and 6 mths) thanks to my mother in law. It is definately worth doing, though the recovery is long and slow. :)
how long did u have to wait before u can shiower after your tt ,iam goin 4/2/12 little nervison and scared every one
telling me the pain is realy bad
I could shower when the drains came out..which was 5 days. I also had 2 C sections (emergency ones) and I thought this would be similar. Way worse. The muscle repair makes it hard to move and lifting each layer takes way more healing than lifting out a baby. And no happy baby hormones! I only had help for 4 days. Definitely plan on not doing anything for a week and have someone to do everything for you. I just passed 2 weeks and still can't stand up straight or walk much.
I am so tempted to start running early myself, though I've just had a chest cold (UK climate!) and had a bad cough. The coughing action has really hurt my tummy which has given me a warning that internally I'm not as healed as I thought. My surgeon is quite strict, he said no lifting for 4 wks, light lifting for 2 more weeks! Also was advised to wear micropore tape ( surgical tape) over scar, think it flattens the scar, and every 3rd night to remove tapes, shower and massage in Bio Oil into scar and leave tapes off for the night. Next morning to wash wound and replace tapes, I was also advised to massage stomach with bio oil daily? And my scar is really flattering out? Might help. Also advised to wear spandex pants for 8 weeks to help with swelling, though you don't look very swollen. I was the same as you, I had massive muscle separation and had to have my abdomen reenforced. Maybe it's to do with the hernia repair that makes this op that it more concerning to out surgeons? Hope all sorts itself out. X
Hi, I had a full TT 9th Feb 2012, and I was shocked at the wound when I had my dressings removed. It had pinched skin and looked a mess really, and i did doubt my surgeons work, however I am now 6 wks PO and it has improved dramatically, the creases have softened and the swelling is reducing, and it improves every day. So don't panic, it will improve considerably. I to run a lot but have been told no running or exercise involving abdomen for 12 wks! But I guess we just have to trust there experience and remember they want the best possible result for us. :)
Hi! I know 12 weeks sounds like forever! But I don't want to 'ruin' anything and have to go through this again. The muscle repair was extensive and that takes time to heal. I'm going to work with a physio who specializes in women's health. I'll see her at 6 weeks and start with pelvic floor, to core to standing to some time in the future...running! The surgeon says 6 weeks, but physios stand by 12 weeks.
Hi! I'm 5 weeks po from a fully tummy tuck, and let me just say, you look great. I had a lot of stretch marks that my po had to cut through, leaving me with a jagged-ish incision on the ends. I know they'll flatten out, and even if a revision for "dog ears" is necessary, it's a simple procedure - I'm not worried. Good for you that you had this done!
The things I missed in my pre-research! Dog ears! My surgeon's nurse said if things look messy after a few months than the surgeon can do a little local freezing, scar removal...takes 20 minutes. So I guess that is good. But then more healing required, right?
I think mine probably looks a lot like yours. I haven't seen it in two weeks. My doc took the tape off on Day 7 and you can see in my pics that it's very rope like & pulled at the ends like yours. He said that will stretch out and heal up just fine - I hope so, too. He covered it back up with glue & tape and said the longer that stays on there, the better the scar will heal. So I just leave it covered. I'm almost afraid to see it again when I look at my Day 7 pics.

I'm sure everything will be just fine though, and the alternative, of going back to my prior fat belly and muffin top in every single outfit I wore is simply more disgusting than this. So I'm cool with it.