TriPollar Hollowed out my Cheek Bones, Wish I Never Tried It - Canada

I'm a beauty editor who has tried a range of...

I'm a beauty editor who has tried a range of anti-aging treatments over the past several years including Thermage, Fraxel, IPL, and more recently this year, Tripollar Skin Tightening. Of anything I've ever tried, I *deeply* regret Tripollar Skin Tightening for my face.

I was told by my doctor that it wouldn't hurt. It hurt. I was assured that the treatment wouldn't cause fat depletion from my face. It did. Within a week, my cheeks began to hollow out and I lost my healthy, subcutaneous fat. This, despite the technician avoiding my cheek bones. The lower half of my face has lost all of its volume. Now, four months later, it is still upsetting for me to look in the mirror. My goal was to look younger and instead I look older from the hollowed out appearance of my face. I looked much better before the treatment. If I'd had any idea this would happen to me, I never would have tried it. It was only one treatment! My face now looks angular and depleted of all youthful volume. Before and after photos made this crystal clear.

I am very small-boned with a small face to begin with. I would *not* recommend this treatment for people who want to retain the healthy, subcutaneous fat in their face. This has been a complete nightmare for me, a very upsetting experience. My face has changed dramatically and I hate the way I look now. I am shocked that one treatment could produce such a dramatic and negative result. I found out too late that independent studies show that the treatment can destroy fat cells and in some cases, the results are permanent. Buyer beware.

Zero - this treatment has ruined the appearance of my face.

This has been my experience exactly. I am so upset and saddened. I never had nice cheeks to begin with, now I have none at all. My face looks sick, and I am sick over my looks. There is not enough info out there regarding the negative side effects from this procedure. I hope and pray that the fat in my face will return over time.
Thank you for your informative comment. I have specifically looked for reviews like yours, as I have little subcutaneous facial fat and can't afford to use any that I have. A amazon review from a woman who had purchased the Tripollar Stop had similar sad results as yours. It's enough for me to avoid trying this procedure in a doctor's office or a home version of it. Thanks.
I'm a little mystified about your terrible result. It seems to me that the technician set the machine at too high a temp for face. Obviously since it is used for fat shrinkage on the body it has that capability but the technician should have controlled the heat to disallow such a result. So sorry to hear of your problems. I think it's tech related and not machine related though.
Also, I think that Scuptra is a possibility for you. Patients with lipoathrophy use it to fill their sunken faces due to HIV related facial wasting. Fat transfer from your own fat sounds great in theory but up to 80% of the fat is reabsorbed back into the body. Apparently works for some though.
Thank you so much for your informative post. I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. It must be infuriating - the fact that your doctor didn't tell you the risks involved with the procedure. Until I read your post, I wanted to try Tripollar to tighten my jowls and hollowing cheeks. I too have small bones and a small face and have lost all subcutaneous fat. I look much older than my age. Have you tried Glucosamine supplements? They can help plump up skin. I've done a great deal of research on these supplements. The best are pycnogenol, N-A-G and Glucosamine Sulfate. It takes a few months to see results. I stopped taking them for a while and have noticed my face is more gaunt and saggy. Anyway, these supplements should help fix some of the damage that Tripollar caused you. I wish you luck.
Thank you for the new information. It has been six months since I used the tri pollar device ordered from Israel and used at home. My cheeks have not filled out again. One positive is that my neck is indeed tighter. I have more or less adjusted to having hollow cheeks as opposed to full cheeks and at this point it is what it is. However, I would not advise anyone who is older and who is fortunate enough to have a full face to use this device.. I was told by a physician on justanswer.com that it is some type of underlying tissue or such that is damaged and that it is not fat related. Fat returns but this sub cutaneous type tissue, or whatever, that does not return. People pay a fortune to get the fullness in their faces that I had naturally prior to using this device. . I have since been told by a dermatologist that this radio wave technology is not the device to use on an aging face. I have no interest in getting fillers and the only thing else I might try is to do a simple laser treatment to try and help tighten the looser skin. I did try pycnogenol but unfortunately it caused my blood pressure to drop too low. It did show an almost immediate improvement in the fullness of my face, however. Others out there may not have this reaction and it may will work for them. I will investigate N-A-G. If glucosamine sulfate is shell fish derivative I will have to pass on that one. Once again, I would not suggest an older person using this device.
The Tripollar shrinks the fat cells, it doesn't actually melt them away. You can try eating more calories and if you put on weight then your cheeks will fill out again.
I have used tri pollar stop for 4 weeks and the same thing that you are describing happened to me. I have high cheek bones and the skin on my face was plump and youthful looking despite my age of 69. I now look hollow. I am hopeful this will not be permanent. If it is, I guess I will have to live with looking my age instead of younger the way I looked prior to using this device. To say that I am extremely unhappy, is an understatement.

Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear what has happened. I'm assuming you have discussed your disappointment with the doctor who did the procedure. I would be curious to hear what they have said.

It was definitely not what I expected, that's for sure =( It was actually a technician at the doctor's office who did the procedure. My doctor told me to wait a few months, thinking the change was due to the "lifting" effect of the treatment and would wear off with time. But many months later, my face has not returned to normal. The only solution now is to use fillers in my cheeks which just seems crazy... I liked how I looked before, I was just looking to rejuvenate my skin, not cause a huge change in my appearance. Anyway, at least others can take heed from my experience.

Yes, you are definitely helping others by letting them know what you experienced. I know its not what you want to do, but are you considering trying fillers or is that out of the question for you at this point?

Actually, at my last appointment I was told that fillers are not an option afterall because the areas where I have lost volume have too many nerve endings, making injections unsafe. So I am stuck. It's literally unbelievable how dramatically the structure of my face has changed. I can't tell you how much I regret doing the treatment.

I'm so sorry to hear you are feeling regretful. :(

Have you considered going to another board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist to get a second opinion? Granted, I'm a layperson, but I'm not aware of any areas that can't have some sort of filler used on them. Do you mind me asking what specific areas they said had too many nerve endings to inject?

It's the area below the actual cheekbones, the lower half of my face. I've thought of seeing someone else for a second opinion but I'm afraid to make things worse. That would be a nightmare. Once bitten, twice shy! I'm hoping that somehow the problem may resolve on its own within the next few months, that this effect will eventually wear off as my doctor thought it would in a couple of months. I'd love to hear an MD's opinion on this though!
if you feel that bad try getting a fat transfer into your face. I did and it's the best thing I ever did. Fillers need continuous upkeep. Fat transfer lasts up to 5 years. YEs it's general anesthethic but i am so so so happy with mine.
Hi Diane, I am a facial plastic surgeon and have used injectable fillers for years. There is no such thing as not being able to have fillers because of having "too many nerve endings, making injections unsafe." If you wish to email your photos, I would be happy to get back to you with what I would do if you were my patient. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with this technology. Best, Michael A. Persky, MD
Hi Diane, It has been over a year and a half since you last posted; I'm really curious as to whatever happened with you. Did your facial contours revert back to normal? Or, did you get fillers or fat transfer? Thanks for sharing!
Dear Diane, It has been 8 months since I last posted and it has been about a year and two months ago since I used the tri pollar stop home kit from Israel which resulted in the hollowing out of the area below my high cheekbones. I have now made an adjustment to what happened. It hasn't been easy. What nature gave me, high check bones and a full cheek area, I destroyed after using this device. Gaining weight has helped me slightly, but not by much to justify being slightly overweight. I have been told by a dermatologist that there is more to it than just fat being removed from the face, and that the underlying tissues, or whatever, will not repair itself. Good luck with whatever you do. I would be wary of most procedures. I saw a dermatologist whose technician who had some type of injections on her face who looked from her profile like she had a mask on her face. After seeing this woman, I decided to simply get on with my life and adjust to it. I do hope that by reading what I am writing, I will help someone else avoid having this happen to them. After a period of several months feeling upset by what I did to myself, I decided instead to focus on the important things in my life such as my family, my good health, and my many friends. I doubt that I will post again unless something dramatic happens, like my cheeks filling out again. I realize that each of us need to make our own decisions and I wish you luck in whatever decision that you do make.