Just Started with Invisalign - Attachments Noticable

I just started with my treatment 1 week ago. I...

I just started with my treatment 1 week ago. I read a lot of reviews before i started and decided that it was time I started the process. I got engaged, and wanted a nice smile on my wedding day. I have wanted to do it for a while but did not what the traditional medal braces, as i do a lot of public speaking/presentations for work.

The clear braces are not so bad, they are not painful at all. The first week my upper gums were a little swollen but that went away on its own now. Taking them on and off to eat is a little annoying - and gets easier with time as you learn the tricks. My dentist actually has invisalign himself so it gives me confidence in his work and review. Only issue I have is that it is a lot more noticeable then I thought it would be.

The bottom trays are not that visible as the attachments are at the back of my teeth. But the Top trays are a lot more visible as the attachments are clearly visible, and since my teeth are on a slight angle going in, the top of the braces in the front doesn't fit as snug as the bottom, so it is very visible.

It seems though my case is going to take a long time 42 trays - so 84 week - I didn't think it would take that long, so my wish of having perfect teeth on my wedding day is likely not going to happen! Regardless, I would recommend this treatment (we will see how the results are) but I have not have major issues with it so far.

I have 36-38 trays I can't remember

Thank you so much! My dentist has told me that I have bad gums, and that I may need something like this to help me out. Now, even if I do end up needing it, I'll be prepared!

I went to the dentist last week, and he suggested that I get Invisalign put on my teeth. He said that my teeth aren't in desperate need for treatment, however, I will be glad that I made the investment when I'm older and my teeth have had a significant amount of wear on them. What is the best way to go about researching Invisalign? I would like to know what it is exactly that makes the piece of plastic so strong? Is it really effective? Is it worth the investment to purchase Invisalign?

I would encourage you to keep reading the reviews on here. People share all kinds of information about their experiences, and their thoughts on the treatment as a whole.

You can also use our Q&A section for specific questions you have that you would like to hear the opinion of a dentist on.

I'll be interested to hear if you decide to go with Invisalign or choose another form of treatment - happy researching! :)

Thanks for posting! I think that to most people, this is a great alternative to metal braces. I've been talking to my dentist about it, and I'm getting mine next week. It'll be so much better than metal braces and spacers and such.
Can someone recommend an Elite or Premier invisalign orthodontist in Mississauga/Brampton area?
Mit78: For my attachments, my dentist made sure they wre sharp or pointy after he put them on.. so he filled it down until it was comfortable for me... and yes, it still fits with my aligners. My dentist showed me a trick as to how to take them off (he has them himself so he knows how it is)... basicaly you need to take the allighers out of their location at the last tooth on one side of your mouth, then do the same on the other side... once that's loose, go to where the attachment is on your teeth and take out out at a forward angle. This seems to work out quite well for me. I am on week 7 now, and i know it's working because my teeth aren't alligned the same way as they were. ALso, my jaw has slight discomfort as the teeth are moving. I have a long time to go, but no real isses w/it so far.. knock on wood! As i mentioed in my first post, my real dissapointment has been w/my attachments in the top teeth are very visible!
Yes, the attachments take some getting used to, but they will get easier/smoother. I remember mine being very rough and sharp at first and I too cut my mouth when eating, but I got used to them (learned to chew differently, I think). I discovered when taking the aligners out that if I pulled them slightly toward the outside of my mouth (i.e. forwards) it encourage them to "pop" over and off the aligners, rather than just pulling downwards which is extremely uncomfortable on teeth which are already aching, isn't it? I really wouldn't recommend filing down your attachments as it is these which make the aligner fit and pull on your teeth and achieve the movement - just persevere, they will get smoother and if they haven't smoothed off a bit by your next visit get your dentist to take a look at them. Good luck!
Very interesting. I started mine 2 days ago and was shocked when I saw the attachments on my teeth (I was told they would be invisible). The worst thing though is that the attachments are really sharp and point upwards, so when I'm taking the aligners out if feels like I'm pulling my teeth out! I'm hoping that they wear down a bit - could anyone confirm if they do please??? They also cut my mouth when I'm eating, but again, hopefully they'll wear down. I can cope with the aching, as I know it's working then! But I really don't like the agony of pulling them out at the moment! Looks like I might have to file them down if they don't naturally wear themselves!
Hmm intresting... thanks for your post Jude. I am acutally w/a dentist right now - however i did get a second opinion w/an orthodontist (he indicated that my case was reasonable as he has seen other ones like mine work out. I decided to go w/the dentist b/c the price was $1000 less then the ortho for the same treatement! I am going to try to be optamistic about my treatment, as no teeth need rotation, just need to be aligned... Will keep my blog here posted to inform others of how its working... so far my biggest disspointment has been that the attachments on top are visible.
Having read your post above, alarm bells started to ring. I too had no or very little pain with my aligners, until I had a mid course correction (only 14 or so weeks in), when the second set of aligners didn't fit properly at the top. This caused the flesh of my inside upper lip to get caught in the aligner and made them extremely uncomfortable. Several months down the road, it became apparent that Invisalign wasn't working for me and the ill-fitting of the aligners at the top was because they simply were not correcting (and indeed COULD not correct) the problem with my top teeth. I'm only mentioning this to you as 84 weeks for an Invisalign treatment is the longest I have ever heard of, and I just wanted to say: Are you with an orthodontist or a dentist? If you're with a dentist (cosmetic or otherwise), go and pay NOW for a second opinion from an orthodontist regarding the projected outcome. Go to an orthodontist who also offers Invisalign then he will have a good understanding and experience of the possibilities. If ANY of your teeth need significantly rotating, it is unlikely that Invisalign will do the job. Sorry to sound like a doom-merchant: of course I hope it goes smoothly and successfully for you, and you may well already be with an orthodontist who knows what he's doing and is confident of the outcome. Too many people on here, however, went - like me- to a dentist and went on to regret it (and on to traditional braces!). Good luck.