I Feel I Have Lost the "Me" by Having Jaw Surgery and Look Worse - Canada

I had double jaw surgery and genioplasty 4 weeks...

I had double jaw surgery and genioplasty 4 weeks ago. I know i am still swollen, but I feel like I barely recognize myself and I wish I had more control in how things turned out. My chin seems to angle upwards now, my face seems very short and my nose is now more crooked. A few weeks ago I was starting to like the results, but now...I am not so sure. I do not feel pretty anymore. Instead I feel quite unattractive and no one has even commented on my new look - which leads me to believe that I look worse.

9 weeks post surgery

Well, it has been 9 weeks and I am feeling SO much better about my face. I know there's still a long recovery ahead, but I truly am feeling much more confident about what was done.
Thank you to everyone for your kind words...it's hard to put yourself out there!

Hope this link to my videos of my recovery works...

A few videos to show the transition

3 months later

Hi Everyone,
It has been three months (well, a lil more than that now) and I am truly settling into my face. I still have "off" days of being unsure, but mostly I am happy and I still have a long way to go before things are fully healed and ready to be judged. However, I have been getting a lot of compliments about looking younger and healthier since the surgery - so, hey, that's not so bad to hear :)
Now it is just waiting to get the braces off and working on the deviated septum next year and all will straight and looking awesome! Totally worth it at this point in the recovery :)
I'll add better photos soon! These are all selfies don't count, lol

5 months 19 days post-op

Things are coming along! Some clicking and discomfort on left side jaw joint arrived just today, but wondering if it is connected to some orthodontic work. Follow-up with surgeon on Oct 1st. Hoping everything is ok :) Chewing basically everything - donuts are kind of tricky for some reason, but I am eating salads and other crunchy foods, just nothing too intense :)

5 months

5 months

Some 3-5 months post op photos - I'll update with some 1 year ones soon

Just showing that one can have the operation AND get married a few months later. The swelling was still there but definitely not a concern
Ontario Health Insurance

Hi Kathleen, I just have a few questions about your post-op preparation. I noticed you mentioned you were referred by your orthodontist -- how long did you have orthodontic treatment prior to the surgery? I've never had any to this point but I do have a slight overbite and a smaller than usual jaw. When getting moulds made for a crown the dentist had to use child size trays. They were tight, but the adult ones were too large. This creates, obviously, a less defined jaw line and also a chine that has less definition from my chin than I like. Some days it makes me really sad, unfortunately, which is why I'm considering this type of surgery. The idea of braces at 32 sounds horrible to me, so I just wanted to know a bit about your post-op treatment and how far back it goes. My profile picture on here is a current one, but you can't really tell a lot of the time that my chin is so undefined unless it's a photo taken from a profile angle. I've also gotten used to holding my jaw forward slightly to minimize it. My jaw doesn't seem that much misaligned but if I want my back teeth to touch then the bottom gets pushed back slightly more. People have told me not to do this surgery because they feel I won't look like myself anymore and they think I have such an adorable face... But they don't understand how down it can make you feel when a certain hairstyle would look great...if only your chin was more defined. That you can't wait to get married... but don't feel you'll be your most beautiful for the photos the way you currently look. Anyway, I'd love to hear back from ya when you've got a sec to write. Sorry for the long message. :-O Thanks!
Meant pre-op preparation. Oops.
kath Im sorry, please allow me to ask, what was the surgery for exactly? and dont worry, Im not gonna just tell you wat you wanna hear, I've been there, I ruined my face with this double jaw surgery, so I'll be honest with you :p tbh I didnt find anything wrong with the "before" picture, maybe because it's not a profile pic. but I could sense something changed, but idk wat that is! :p but you didnt change, almost not at all, I mean your face is just the same, I told you Im not gonna complementx so seriously I didnt see a change. you should be thankful they didnt leave you with a deformed face like me. idk why you're sad, you should've paid a minimum psychological bill for this surgery. if I were you, I wud've. I hope you're doing better by now. for me Im gonna go thru another surgery with another doctor who I trust like hell haha and yea, imagine, gonna go thru this whole process again, from syringe meals to drooling to big lips to uneven face to depression n yata yata yata.... yupz! ready haha it's most likely on august 21st or some day near that, the surgeon hasnt yet specified a date coz we're communicating overseas and... yea. so be thankful, you're awesome, you look fabulous I dont understand wat your problem is about?! I lost my face, this is what I feel now, and this is wat actually happened. and I have to go thru this meaningless recovery even tho it's sooo uncomfortable, because of the spasming due to the huge movement they did to my upper jaw (forward), they left me with a hose-like face. I had a very big underbite before, 17 mm gap between jaws.. picture if you will. so they kinda forced the result, moved my lower like 5 mm only to the back and moved the upper 12 whole damn mm to the front! and voila! I look like an alien now :p dont worry, everything will be ok :) be happy and give it time. in your case it's just a matter of time only. you did one surgery and might get lifetime numbness in a place or two in your face. how about if I wanna do this surgery twice? maybe I wont feel my whole face forever hahah :pp but thank God of course for all what happened. maybe I've sinned before, maybe it's karma, who knoss :p Im psychologically ready for my 2nd surgery, which's gonna give me the face I've always dreamt of, if God wills :)) I wish you the best with whatever you diceide, even tho you look pretty still even if idk what the surgery was for. take care :) ferrovic
typo: horse-like* sorry
You look wonderful. I actually feel jealous because I'll never have money to do this surgery. You should be happy girl!!
I like the outcome of your surgery, I am planning on getting a rhinoplasty this summer and decided not to get a chin implant, although I could really use it I don't like the idea of foreign materials in my face. I've been looking into sliding genioplasty, but it sounds like such an intense procedure and many women complain of looking more masculine after it. I am fairly happy with the way my chin looks from the front, but it looks pretty bad from the profile view. Who did your surgery? I also live in Ontario and how did you manage to get it covered by OHIP?
personally i really like what's been done, you might see a bit more definition though with buccal fat removal.
i think ur profile did improve, still think ur pretty
Hi. What exactly was the surgery to correct? An overbite? Did you have orthodontic work before/after surgery? By the way. You look hot.
As You know you were pretty before and still pretty after. I can understand though wanting to look even better. After seeing all the before and after pics I have realized that I have always had a over bite and never could pin point why my profile looked odd. At one point I thought I needed to change my whole face. I think this is a great place to start.
You don't look worse. You look great and still like yourself!
Hello, you look amazing! I'm from Ontario, and I was wondering who was the surgeon and what steps did you take to basically have your surgery for free? Pls any advice you can give me, I will truly appreciate it! I'm tired of feeling pain but I can't afford this surgery and Im interested in doing whatever possible for OHIP to cover it. Thanks!
You were already very beautiful before the surgery but you look amazing now. I guess if you are not 100% satisfied it is just a matter of getting used to your new look. The changes were subtle but consistent. Congratulations!
Am I missing something where it's mentioned who your doctor was? I live in the same area as you and have considered this procedure - I have no idea where to go, though :(

For what it's worth, I think you look beautiful now!

Hi I am from the states and I had lower and upper jaw surgery to correct my lower bite. It has only been about 2 weeks and my swelling is still going down gradually but I was wondering how long did it take for your swelling to almost go away completely? And how long was it before you were able to chew?
Hi Alexxdriver! I am trying to remember when the swelling went completely...ppl were saying very early on that I looked back to normal, but I knew I wasn't. I went back to work after 2 weeks and ppl just said I seemed a little fuller in the face, BUT now at 5 months or so post op, I can definitely see the difference. My cheeks have hollowed out a lot more. But yes, I was out in public so to speak by week 2. Hope you're feeling ok! Oh! And chewing...I was given the go-ahead at 6 weeks, but I am even now still trying to re-learn how to chew it seems :) But, I am also working with the orthodonist to improve my bite more and more, so that could have something to do with it. Speedy recovery!!!

You're another month into your healing, would love to hear an update on how things are going for you, kathleenbrodie. :)

You were beautiful before and more so now. I am thinking about having the surgery. I do't go out and have little confidence in guys asking me out. Family and friends say why do it? But it is not their face. I feel people only notice me because of my lower jaw. I am African American and where I grew up, I was always teased and only hung around a certain group. I still have depression because of my look. I whish my jaws did look as perfect as yours before your surgery. You look nice!

Hi Cookie Girl! Thank you for your lovely compliments! I am so sorry to hear that your confidence isn't where it should be :( That is such a tough place to be in - because with or without jaw surgery, you're beautiful! What I have found is that even with the jaw surgery, I still get self conscious about my jawline or if I am positioning it correctly and so forth. So, although I feel much more confident, some days (like everyone) I have to remind myself to be more kind to myself :) Let me know if you do decide to do the surgery or if you have any questions about it. And again, thank you so much. Your words were very kind
Hi I'm from Australia and had my braces, double jaw surgery, nose, cheeks and chin done for free through the public system. Sometimes worth while to pursue different avenues before making a decision. I had seen 3 different cosmetic surgeons and on average they told me it would cost $30,000 to $40,000 for the lot. Not an avenue I could pursue at that stage of my life. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I had my surgery around 7 years ago now. It was not east post-surgery, however after 6 months it felt like I was re-born again. A new me. A better me. Inside and out. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Good luck to all with their surgery.
Sounds like Australia and Canada have the right idea with the free surgeries. I feel very blessed to have not had to battle insurance companies, etc, like many have had to do in the states. I am glad your experience was so positive!
Hi Ruben I'm also from Australia and looking at having this surgery. How did you go about organising this through the public system? I have received a few quotes and it is so expensive. Did you have to go on a waiting list and if so how long did you have to wait? Thanks so much for sharing this info,I look forward to hearing back from you.
Hi kathleenbrodie! You look fantastic! I am in Toronto also and am actually originally from around London, Ontario. I am currently wearing Invisalign braces and my Orthodontist has agreed to treat me but really suggests I have jaw surgery to correct a very prominent overbite. I have been terrified to do so but seeing your results I really want to go ahead with this! (Also I didn't realize our health care covered this!) How long did you have to wait to get your surgery? What were the steps that you needed to take? Did you have a referral for Dr. Lapointe? Sorry for the swarm of questions!!
Hi Adrienneeva! So sorry for the delay in responding :) Thank you!!! Our health care definitely covers it and it was totally worth it at this point in the game. I was on a waiting list for about 5 months - it was supposed to be a year but I was really persistent and called the receptionist fairly often to inquire about cancellations and I ended up bumping my surgery from September 2013 to April 2013 - pretty awesome :) I had a referral from my orthodontist, but I wonder if maybe he would book to see you even if you called in and explained your case briefly? Hard to say - but he's great. Quite the character but he definitely knows his stuff.