I Feel I Have Lost the "Me" by Having Jaw Surgery and Look Worse - Canada

I had double jaw surgery and genioplasty 4 weeks...

I had double jaw surgery and genioplasty 4 weeks ago. I know i am still swollen, but I feel like I barely recognize myself and I wish I had more control in how things turned out. My chin seems to angle upwards now, my face seems very short and my nose is now more crooked. A few weeks ago I was starting to like the results, but now...I am not so sure. I do not feel pretty anymore. Instead I feel quite unattractive and no one has even commented on my new look - which leads me to believe that I look worse.

9 weeks post surgery

Well, it has been 9 weeks and I am feeling SO much better about my face. I know there's still a long recovery ahead, but I truly am feeling much more confident about what was done.
Thank you to everyone for your kind words...it's hard to put yourself out there!

Hope this link to my videos of my recovery works...

A few videos to show the transition

3 months later

Hi Everyone,
It has been three months (well, a lil more than that now) and I am truly settling into my face. I still have "off" days of being unsure, but mostly I am happy and I still have a long way to go before things are fully healed and ready to be judged. However, I have been getting a lot of compliments about looking younger and healthier since the surgery - so, hey, that's not so bad to hear :)
Now it is just waiting to get the braces off and working on the deviated septum next year and all will straight and looking awesome! Totally worth it at this point in the recovery :)
I'll add better photos soon! These are all selfies don't count, lol

5 months 19 days post-op

Things are coming along! Some clicking and discomfort on left side jaw joint arrived just today, but wondering if it is connected to some orthodontic work. Follow-up with surgeon on Oct 1st. Hoping everything is ok :) Chewing basically everything - donuts are kind of tricky for some reason, but I am eating salads and other crunchy foods, just nothing too intense :)

5 months

5 months

Ontario Health Insurance

I like the outcome of your surgery, I am planning on getting a rhinoplasty this summer and decided not to get a chin implant, although I could really use it I don't like the idea of foreign materials in my face. I've been looking into sliding genioplasty, but it sounds like such an intense procedure and many women complain of looking more masculine after it. I am fairly happy with the way my chin looks from the front, but it looks pretty bad from the profile view. Who did your surgery? I also live in Ontario and how did you manage to get it covered by OHIP?
personally i really like what's been done, you might see a bit more definition though with buccal fat removal.
i think ur profile did improve, still think ur pretty
Hi. What exactly was the surgery to correct? An overbite? Did you have orthodontic work before/after surgery? By the way. You look hot.
As You know you were pretty before and still pretty after. I can understand though wanting to look even better. After seeing all the before and after pics I have realized that I have always had a over bite and never could pin point why my profile looked odd. At one point I thought I needed to change my whole face. I think this is a great place to start.
You don't look worse. You look great and still like yourself!
Hello, you look amazing! I'm from Ontario, and I was wondering who was the surgeon and what steps did you take to basically have your surgery for free? Pls any advice you can give me, I will truly appreciate it! I'm tired of feeling pain but I can't afford this surgery and Im interested in doing whatever possible for OHIP to cover it. Thanks!
You were already very beautiful before the surgery but you look amazing now. I guess if you are not 100% satisfied it is just a matter of getting used to your new look. The changes were subtle but consistent. Congratulations!
Am I missing something where it's mentioned who your doctor was? I live in the same area as you and have considered this procedure - I have no idea where to go, though :(

For what it's worth, I think you look beautiful now!

Hi I am from the states and I had lower and upper jaw surgery to correct my lower bite. It has only been about 2 weeks and my swelling is still going down gradually but I was wondering how long did it take for your swelling to almost go away completely? And how long was it before you were able to chew?
Hi Alexxdriver! I am trying to remember when the swelling went completely...ppl were saying very early on that I looked back to normal, but I knew I wasn't. I went back to work after 2 weeks and ppl just said I seemed a little fuller in the face, BUT now at 5 months or so post op, I can definitely see the difference. My cheeks have hollowed out a lot more. But yes, I was out in public so to speak by week 2. Hope you're feeling ok! Oh! And chewing...I was given the go-ahead at 6 weeks, but I am even now still trying to re-learn how to chew it seems :) But, I am also working with the orthodonist to improve my bite more and more, so that could have something to do with it. Speedy recovery!!!

You're another month into your healing, would love to hear an update on how things are going for you, kathleenbrodie. :)

You were beautiful before and more so now. I am thinking about having the surgery. I do't go out and have little confidence in guys asking me out. Family and friends say why do it? But it is not their face. I feel people only notice me because of my lower jaw. I am African American and where I grew up, I was always teased and only hung around a certain group. I still have depression because of my look. I whish my jaws did look as perfect as yours before your surgery. You look nice!

Hi Cookie Girl! Thank you for your lovely compliments! I am so sorry to hear that your confidence isn't where it should be :( That is such a tough place to be in - because with or without jaw surgery, you're beautiful! What I have found is that even with the jaw surgery, I still get self conscious about my jawline or if I am positioning it correctly and so forth. So, although I feel much more confident, some days (like everyone) I have to remind myself to be more kind to myself :) Let me know if you do decide to do the surgery or if you have any questions about it. And again, thank you so much. Your words were very kind
Hi I'm from Australia and had my braces, double jaw surgery, nose, cheeks and chin done for free through the public system. Sometimes worth while to pursue different avenues before making a decision. I had seen 3 different cosmetic surgeons and on average they told me it would cost $30,000 to $40,000 for the lot. Not an avenue I could pursue at that stage of my life. I guess I was one of the lucky ones. I had my surgery around 7 years ago now. It was not east post-surgery, however after 6 months it felt like I was re-born again. A new me. A better me. Inside and out. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. Good luck to all with their surgery.
Sounds like Australia and Canada have the right idea with the free surgeries. I feel very blessed to have not had to battle insurance companies, etc, like many have had to do in the states. I am glad your experience was so positive!
Hi Ruben I'm also from Australia and looking at having this surgery. How did you go about organising this through the public system? I have received a few quotes and it is so expensive. Did you have to go on a waiting list and if so how long did you have to wait? Thanks so much for sharing this info,I look forward to hearing back from you.
Hi kathleenbrodie! You look fantastic! I am in Toronto also and am actually originally from around London, Ontario. I am currently wearing Invisalign braces and my Orthodontist has agreed to treat me but really suggests I have jaw surgery to correct a very prominent overbite. I have been terrified to do so but seeing your results I really want to go ahead with this! (Also I didn't realize our health care covered this!) How long did you have to wait to get your surgery? What were the steps that you needed to take? Did you have a referral for Dr. Lapointe? Sorry for the swarm of questions!!
Hi Adrienneeva! So sorry for the delay in responding :) Thank you!!! Our health care definitely covers it and it was totally worth it at this point in the game. I was on a waiting list for about 5 months - it was supposed to be a year but I was really persistent and called the receptionist fairly often to inquire about cancellations and I ended up bumping my surgery from September 2013 to April 2013 - pretty awesome :) I had a referral from my orthodontist, but I wonder if maybe he would book to see you even if you called in and explained your case briefly? Hard to say - but he's great. Quite the character but he definitely knows his stuff.
Hi there, Did you find your face changed much from week 9 to 3 months? I am at 8 weeks and still am not sure that I love my new look. So, I am hoping, I too, will settle into my new face.
Hi Svic - sorry for the delay in responding! I did see a pretty big difference around the 3-4 month stage and even more so now...the changes really do keep happening over time. One day you just notice it. I still have off days of being unsure of my chin and so forth, but overall I am getting more and more settled in :) I think you will love your new look in time. I find that I like pictures rather than the mirror for getting a true idea of how things have changed
If you don't mind would you please verify cost of surgery. $1,000 seems extremely low -was that just your cost after insurance.....upper & lower or only one? Trying to support costs for surgery and it's hard to find sources. Actual cost from patients is a good source. Thank you.
Hi Dca1961, I am not sure what the actual costs of jaw surgery are here in ontario, but I know that it's super expensive in the States. In Ontario, our provincial health care covers certain things, such as jaw surgery and genioplasty (of course, it needs to be deemed medically necessary) and so we do not need to pay for any of the surgery, including hospital stay, etc. My fiance's health benefits from his employer covered 80% of my out of pocket fee which was 800$ for xrays and some other work-ups that the surgeon needed to do. So, I ended up paying basically nothing for this surgery. All meds were covered at 80% as well, so costs were very very minimal for me. I feel very fortunate for this. And I had upper, lower and genioplasty. I have noticed that a lot of patients from the states who blog about their jaw surgery experience also tend to include a detailed list of costs. They might be worth a search for.
Hello, are you still receiving problems from your jaw, I had same operation in December and Im still on soo much pain, I regret it soo much